• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Battery Life

Search This thread
That sounds miserable. It's a shame the 5G there is so terrible or you definitely wouldn't give it up so easily. It's also a shame you have to run your phone like it is four years old when half the specs are already those of a phone two years old.

The entire purpose of things like the adaptive refresh rate is so you don't have to lock it so low and can still take advantage of the lows for light use. Managing background apps and tasks can make a huge difference in network usage, but also reduces the load on the processor that will allow it to run at lower speeds when it's not doing much work.

Sure, running things at their lowest will still get you better battery life. The cost, though, is having paid $1000 for a folding phone that works like a preproduction test of the Z Flip (1). At that point, the folding is a novelty that cost much more than it's worth.

The real shame is that Samsung locked down the phone and prevented people like the ones here from really making any real improvement. You get stuck thinking you need a 4G on 60Hz when it could easily be a 5G at 96Hz with the same results.

crawls69

Mar 29, 2015
That sounds miserable. It's a shame the 5G there is so terrible or you definitely wouldn't give it up so easily. It's also a shame you have to run your phone like it is four years old when half the specs are already those of a phone two years old.

The entire purpose of things like the adaptive refresh rate is so you don't have to lock it so low and can still take advantage of the lows for light use. Managing background apps and tasks can make a huge difference in network usage, but also reduces the load on the processor that will allow it to run at lower speeds when it's not doing much work.

Sure, running things at their lowest will still get you better battery life. The cost, though, is having paid $1000 for a folding phone that works like a preproduction test of the Z Flip (1). At that point, the folding is a novelty that cost much more than it's worth.

The real shame is that Samsung locked down the phone and prevented people like the ones here from really making any real improvement. You get stuck thinking you need a 4G on 60Hz when it could easily be a 5G at 96Hz with the same results.
I hear you and I fully agree.

I'm on t-mobile. Hopefully they get their 5G up to speed where I live (pun intended).

Between the battery consumption during usage and battery drain in standby, I found myself needing to charge the phone after 10 to 12 hours (before the changes I made).

Hopefully a system update (or perhaps root and custom ROMs) will allow me to run the phone as intended without it dying on me midday.

At least I got $1,000 trade-in on my prior phone whose specs were sub par to this phone - yet I'm running thIs phone below its full capability because of the battery life. SMH

At least I got $1,000 trade-in on my prior phone whose specs were sub par to this phone

I guess if you got the phone for -$1 / $50 by trading in something 2+ years old it makes sense. Not entirely sure where you found a deal offering $300 more than the max offer from Samsung and $200 more than T-Mobile's bill credit max, but congrats on finding that once in a lifetime deal.

crawls69

Mar 29, 2015
I guess if you got the phone for -$1 / $50 by trading in something 2+ years old it makes sense. Not entirely sure where you found a deal offering $300 more than the max offer from Samsung and $200 more than T-Mobile's bill credit max, but congrats on finding that once in a lifetime deal.
T-mobile still has that deal going on. The details are on their website. I had a phone that qualified for $1,000 trade-in value. Of course the trade-in value is done via 24 bill credits that equally offset the 24 monthly payments for the phone. If you cancel at any time before 24 months, you lose any remaining bill credits that you hadn't received and you have to pay off the remaining phone balance. So they lock you in for 24 months with that carrot on the stick.

I'm gonna re-visit the refresh rate issue and try out an adaptive refresh at 96hz max and see how much of a hit the battery life takes. I can't do anything about the slow 5G speed in my area so I'll just continue to use LTE until t-mobile builds out a faster 5G network where I am.

T-mobile still has that deal going on. The details are on their website. I had a phone that qualified for $1,000 trade-in value. Of course the trade-in value is done via 24 bill credits that equally offset the 24 monthly payments for the phone. If you cancel at any time before 24 months, you lose any remaining bill credits that you hadn't received and you have to pay off the remaining phone balance. So they lock you in for 24 months with that carrot on the stick.

I'm gonna re-visit the refresh rate issue and try out an adaptive refresh at 96hz max and see how much of a hit the battery life takes. I can't do anything about the slow 5G speed in my area so I'll just continue to use LTE until t-mobile builds out a faster 5G network where I am.

Oh ok. That wouldn't have been for me. Family plan would have credited someone else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My second full charge stats for those interested.

Screenshot_20210822-091417_Device care.jpg
    @EVOme, the battery will get better when it will finish learning your usage patterns. As for the camera, I agree with you, but you bought this for other reasons. It's a flip phone with a big display that folds in half. 😃 They cut corners to bring the price down. Maybe in 2 years we will have a folding phone with great cameras and a lower price, who knows?
    This thread is scarring me. My phone will be here on Weds. I am currently using a 12 Pro Max. I have a feeling I will be hating life with the Flip.
    Battery is not pro max level, but it's ok. After one week I get 24h with 4-5h sot. I'm ok with that, considering what this phone is. I sold my S21Ultra that had almost double the battery life and much better cameras, but I'm still happy with the flip. This phone is amazing.
    Hi,
    Normal/medium usage is different for everyone.
    All I can say, is I was worried about be the battery size, but it has got me through the day just fine.
    Depending on what apps I'm using and light gaming, I've been getting around 3.5 to 4.25 hours of screen on time.
    I've averaged 16-22 hours of use even with my smart watched connected for around 6 hours a day.
    We have to remember though, this is an early software version, so may improve over time.