Battery Life

Search This thread

spadival

May 1, 2005
Dayton, OH
However, I don't feel I'm getting as much life in real terms as many here and wondered if it's possible that without calibration the mA values reported could be wrong and I'm not actually getting full capacity.

People get good battery life when the display is on for the minimum amount of time. IMHO, if the display is on for less than an hour, I think we can treat that as hypermiling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling) rather than normal daily use.

20mark

Nov 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
yesterday i 've managed to run for 25 hours. Now i've upgraded to the latest radio 12.35d.60.140f_26.06.03.24_M2 and set max freq. to 1036mhz governor set to smartass

the thing that drives me crazy is that almost everytime my phone is in standby and i unlock it to see battery % network is sending and receiving data,and i dont understand what my phone is doing,what process keeps connecting to network. maybe i can monitor this from osmonitor logs ? also,i see that when im using phone,currentwidget is reporting my consumption even at 300ma!is that normal?:confused:

Last edited:

ToneyEricsson

Nov 10, 2008
London
Try using APNdroid widget on your home screen to switch off network data and switch on when needed. That app is free from the market. I have been using it a long time, works good.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

allenf

May 9, 2006
Current widget reports my DHD ticks over at a couple of mA on standby (WiFi on, GPS enabled when needed), this is actually excellent performance.
There's a periodic uptick to 20-30mA when syncing etc. Firing up the display to actually do something spikes current up to roughly 250mA. A 1250mAh battery @ 250mA lasts about 5 hours. I do think the DHD has excellent battery life compared to my early XDA devices which drained batteries at quite a rate just sitting on standby.

--
Sent from my HTC

Schiso

Jan 15, 2011
Bataan
im very satisfied with my battery life. unplugged 1d and 7hrs and i still have 33% of battery life.. at first my battery life was short, but maybe it just adjusted and now, works great!

dzontra11

Apr 19, 2010
Battery life its great for me.
57 hours and still 30%.

bastic

Apr 16, 2006
Only few mAh? Mine on standby is doing around 35....

briand77

Jan 26, 2011
Right now I am at 40% after 8 hours unplugged with 3 hours display time. Wifi constant on and mostly gaming. During normal days I have no trouble with empty batteries. Imho the display determines battery life. Everything has a minimal impact compared to that.

raulttro

Dec 3, 2009
Bringing the thread active with a question.

I have CurrentWidget and have all runs normal in terms of battery consumption, except when I am on Data Connection. I have following average values:

1-4 mA with screen turned off ( with a few spikes up to 60 mA when syncing )
120-280 mA with screen turned on an Wireless on ( 280 mA when wireless is being used for sync ).

300 - 600 mA when using Data connection and screen turned on ( constantly about 400-500 mA without actually doing anything, I have most of the syncs turned off ). Ok, I understand data connection uses more power than wireless, but let's be serious, it's far from being alright

Actually with same sync settings I achieve to have 120-280 on Wireless and suddenly i get 3 times more consumption when using data connection.

I am using auto brightness and Android Revolution HD 4.0 Beta 2 ROM. Same was with Leedroid 2.3.4 ROM.

Has anybody encountered this? Is it normal to continuously consume so much without doing anything ( or at least I don't see the arrows in the status bar doing anything ).

PS: I do need to be connected to internet all the time, so turning data connection off is not an option for me !!

Last edited:
Bringing the thread active with a question.

I have CurrentWidget and have all runs normal in terms of battery consumption, except when I am on Data Connection. I have following average values:

1-4 mA with screen turned off ( with a few spikes up to 60 mA when syncing )
120-280 mA with screen turned on an Wireless on ( 280 mA when wireless is being used for sync ).

300 - 600 mA when using Data connection and screen turned on ( constantly about 400-500 mA without actually doing anything, I have most of the syncs turned off ). Ok, I understand data connection uses more power than wireless, but let's be serious, it's far from being alright

Actually with same sync settings I achieve to have 120-280 on Wireless and suddenly i get 3 times more consumption when using data connection.

I am using auto brightness and Android Revolution HD 4.0 Beta 2 ROM. Same was with Leedroid 2.3.4 ROM.

Has anybody encountered this? Is it normal to continuously consume so much without doing anything ( or at least I don't see the arrows in the status bar doing anything ).

PS: I do need to be connected to internet all the time, so turning data connection off is not an option for me !!

This is not normal! Do you have the recommended radio? How is your reception? Check your cpu load with OSmonitor and/or seePU. Try with auto sync off.
Do a full wipe and try to flash newer ROM.

Last edited:

raulttro

Dec 3, 2009
This is not normal! Do you have the recommended radio? How is your reception? Check your cpu load with OSmonitor and/or seePU. Try with auto sync off.
Do a full wipe and try to flash newer ROM.

Since I written that configuration has changed a bit, problem remains almost same. I have now ADHD Beta 4. I have radio: 12.41.60.19U_26.06.04.14_M. It was recommended for this ROM.

As about the reception, it is very good, there are no triggers between 3G and 2G.

I now get around 200-300 during standby, which is double than on WI-FI or 2G, without actually doing anything.

I don't think it has to do with Auto Sync, because with same setiings I get better results on Wi-Fi or 2G. It must be somewhere else. I can't think that only being with 3G consume double battery.

Since I written that configuration has changed a bit, problem remains almost same. I have now ADHD Beta 4. I have radio: 12.41.60.19U_26.06.04.14_M. It was recommended for this ROM.

As about the reception, it is very good, there are no triggers between 3G and 2G.

I now get around 200-300 during standby, which is double than on WI-FI or 2G, without actually doing anything.

I don't think it has to do with Auto Sync, because with same setiings I get better results on Wi-Fi or 2G. It must be somewhere else. I can't think that only being with 3G consume double battery.

Yeah, didn't see your post was from a while ago:)

No my experience is that with good reception 3G uses less battery than WIFI.

I would still suggest you turn autosync off at least to try! Remove sense account! Have you checked your CPU load?

Maybe you should give CM 7 a try! It's a stable release now and perhaps has even better battery life than Sense Roms!

erote

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, didn't see your post was from a while ago:)

No my experience is that with good reception 3G uses less battery than WIFI.

I would still suggest you turn autosync off at least to try! Remove sense account! Have you checked your CPU load?

Maybe you should give CM 7 a try! It's a stable release now and perhaps has even better battery life than Sense Roms!

Never use mobile data which drain ur battery more faster than WIFI :)
If you flash to new ROM, make sure u find the recommended radio to help ur phone stay longer

tomcolgan

Apr 12, 2011
Kildare
I have mine 5months

I have my desire hd for five months and the battery hasnt been great i even bought a 1600 mAh battery was ok for a while but still not that great.
I was on the verge this morning in buying a iphone 4 but i didnt for some reason

Can anyone tell me how i can get my display down to about 20% ?
My display is registering at 78% and its set to auto brightness with no live wallpaper

Musty Pie

Mar 14, 2011
I have my desire hd for five months and the battery hasnt been great i even bought a 1600 mAh battery was ok for a while but still not that great.
I was on the verge this morning in buying a iphone 4 but i didnt for some reason

Can anyone tell me how i can get my display down to about 20% ?
My display is registering at 78% and its set to auto brightness with no live wallpaper

Change from using auto brightness to a manual setting. I have mine VERY low as i tend to use it indoors so having it so bright is not really required this increased battery life loads.

stuarta99

Sep 12, 2007
Sorry to jump on this. I've just installed the Current Widget to hopefully find some answers with mine. With screen and wifi on, I'm reporting about 108mA but has just dropped to 9mA even when I click update.

Is this normal?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys, This has been a busy Thread the last few days and most people are going on about Calibrating the battery when they haven't even checked the usage.

The usage should be checked esp as there is a bug in the HTC Sense, it keeps the phone in awake mode when it should be sleeping. The screen stays black ect and you can check your phone by:

Open up the phone dialer:
    type *#*#4636#*#*
    Then select battery history: It should say running 20% or less if it is sleeping ok,
    Note this is since last unplugged, so select since last boot if you just unplugged.

5% usage is my ultimate goal.

you then Select "Partial Wake Usage" to see what has been running when awake, and if one has a high amount then that has been keeping your phone awake !!!

HTC Sense is keeping my phone and other awake and we find that if you goto sync setting and turn off sync for HTC Sense, HTC hub and Facebook for HTC then we get BLOODY GOOD BATTERY LIFE. Now to figure out which bit is causing the drain ??
    This is from the WMLonglife thread and written by Chainfire!

This was for an WM app, but is still relavant for Android (Juicedefender)

Regarding G/3G battery usage:

Is this guaranteed to save battery?
    No, it is not. If it will or will not save battery is dependent on your configuration of WMLongLife, your 'average' network conditions, your radio, and usage. The default WMLongLife configuration will give you (also depending on those other factors) a nice average between least and maximum savings while trying to be not too annoying. Radio firmware is very tricky, and results vary all across the board. It is likely there is a radio thread for your specific device, if you are comfortable with flashing devices, flashing a different radio may give you better (or worse) connectivity and battery life. How your usage effects all this should be obvious: if all you do with your phone is watch YouTube until the battery goes flat, WMLongLife will not help you [at all]. If you pretty much use at as a phone with additional email and some browsing / Google Maps here and there, you may definitely see benefits. It all depends.

Now let's get to the most interesting part: network conditions. 3G [at least in theory] uses less battery than 2G under ideal conditions. However, these ideal conditions are hardly ever reached. A lot of battery is spent finding a decent/better 3G signal to use instead of 2G - and I mean a lot. If 3G is few-bars or just an unreliable signal in your area, your device will not just use a lot, it will use massive amounts of battery trying to get a [better] 3G signal. Aside from that, if the conditions are less than ideal, 2G may use less power than 3G. As an example, I am personally in an area with excellent 3G coverage (5 out of 5 bars of HSDPA) and my device still lasts nearly twice as long on a single charge with WMLongLife running. Your mileage may vary, of course. While it is completely possible that it may not make a relevant difference in your case, I would say there will be many people who this does make a difference for. This is also the reason you will see many people advising in "battery saving" threads to disable 3G and attesting to how much battery it saves for them, and others will always respond that it doesn't make a difference [for them].

Having an idle(!) data connection should theoretically not make a difference with power usage, you have the connection anyway, it's just a question about whether you have an IP or not. However, some background applications (inside services mostly) will initiate data transfers if (and only if) a data connection is already up. So if you have an idle data connection, these applications would start using data, while if you did not have a data connection (connected), they would not.
    In my experience the most important factors regarding battery life are:

*Wait a few cycles for the battery to condition itself! Don't ***** over battery life the first few days.

*Remember that when you recieve your new toy you'r spending a lot more time on it than a few weeks later. You will get bored of playing Angry Birds!

*Usage Type: If you're constantly playing games and watching videos don't be surprised your battery doesn't last that long!

*The ROM:

The stock ROM with the default settings HTC provides us with is build for Speed and Eyecandy for the best possible first impression! It's all about selling the phone (to you and your friend who has an Iphone) It is not set for maximizing battery life. The data connection is on always on 3G. The Connection is always open. There a million apps and services always syncing, sending background data etc. Fancy animations all over the place. Etc Etc. These things suck the battery dry!

We will get much better ROMS!

*The Radio:

The radio balances things like Cell signal strength/ GPS/ WIFI/battery life!
    Different radios can make a huge difference in battery life and reception.

We will get other/better radio's!

*Data Connection On/OFF: See my post above

*3G/G: idem

*Screen brightness: MAJOR FACTOR, Especially on our big screens, use automatic brightness! For me the lowest automatic brightness is still to bright in the dark. Using a custom brightness logic in WM (Lumos) saved me lots of battery. Still looking for an app in adroid that performs this function! Anyone?

*GPS: Uses lots of battery, but only active when using an App that uses GPS (you can check the notification bar for the icon to appear). So you can leave it on! Very nice of Android.

*Wifi: Uses lots of battery! Have to do some reading on that to be more specific :rolleyes: to be continued!

If I get really bored during my attempts to learn morse code, I'll try to get some solid data from the battery logs!
    Guys I just 'found' this elsewhere on tinternet:

"Two things which you can check to see whats using your battery:
    As above in the Battery usage section, identify what is using your battery. I'm still struggling to understand why Cell Standby and Phone Idle use 35-40% each, but my battery tends to last me through the day.
    Secondly, go into the dialer, and type *#*#4636#*#*, and don't press call. The Testing Menu should display. Click Battery History and then change the first drop down to 'Partial Wake Usage'. This will list applications that may be causing the phone to use more battery power than expected when it is meant to be 'sleeping'. See if anything really stands out.
    "
    Since the 2.3 update my battery has been poor. IT shows 30% drain from Android System alone. any ideas?

If you haven't done a factory reset then you should try that. Solved many a people's issues after updating. If you have done that then it's probably a rouge app. The best way to check is uninstall each app one by one to see if the Android System goes back to normal.