Question Battery Misbehaving (Is it just me?)

Search This thread

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021
Just bought this phone brand new and had the sense that the battery was draining pretty quickly. I noticed some weird behavior when charging to full and turning the phone off for some time and wanted to ask if it might just be a software issue. Also had a few more questions.

So the first issue is I saw happened after attempting to calibrate the battery by charging from 0-100% and past 100 until charge current was zero or negative (note I didn't bump charge it). I turned the phone off for an hour and turned it on again and it showed 97% despite me charging it to what I thought was actually 100%. To see if something was draining the battery I turned it off overnight again and when I turned it on it only went down 1% over 7-8 hours. Leading me to suspect a software issue. I used the 60 watt charger that came with the phone.

Another thing I did was try to get a battery health with accubattery. Using the 60 watt charger I'm surprised to see it estimated the capacity as 4400mAh and not 5050mAh. Can anybody confirm if they are getting the same results? (Charged in airplane mode with the internal fan off in a cool ventilated place).

Finally did the Netflix video test to compare the 6s to 5s and they are around the same with the 5s slightly ahead on playtime. Despite me matching brightness close enough that it was indiscernible which display was brighter. I played the exact same video synced and looped on both with audio off and the 6s hit about 14.5 hours at roughly 33% brightness.

Was wondering if somone could run some accubattery tests with the stock charger and see what you get?(you'd have to reset accubattery and charge from 0-100% and past 100% until charge current is negative).

Anyone else having battery wonkiness like this?

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021
Can anyone please do me a solid and check average and max battery discharge rate with accubattery? I'm trying to figure out if I got sold a lemon.

With brightness set to the following at 60 Hz and wifi off.

Screenshot_2021-12-08-08-21-47-268.png

Hi. Maybe i am not really
Can anyone please do me a solid and check average and max battery discharge rate with accubattery? I'm trying to figure out if I got sold a lemon.

With brightness set to the following at 60 Hz and wifi off.

View attachment 5477375
This is from my rm 6pro global version result for your reference. Hope it helps for the comparison purposes. Tbh, i never crack my head off thinking about this overnight. But if you just bought the 6s pro and installed this apps to the phone, let it study your usage behavior maximum for a week to get a better result.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-09-00-06-00-629.png
    Screenshot_2021-12-09-00-06-00-629.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 44

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021
Hey man. Thanks so much for looking into this for me 🙂. This is quite helpful

What refresh rate is your display set at most of the time? And do you usually have auto brightness on or is the brightness shown in your screenshot around where it usually is? Do you game heavily daily?

Your battery usage seems a decent bit higher than mine. But I'm glad to see our capacity estimates are in the same ballpark.

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021
Also. I noticed if I charge my phone with the bundled charger. After I turn it off for a few hours and turn it on again the battery % is always suddenly 5 to 9% lower than it was when I turned it off. Does yours do this too or is my battery a dud? 🧐

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
That's not how batteries fail.
Something in the background is draining it.
The charge current draw can vary widely depending on charge state and temperature.

Real time charging current readings are only valid for the first second on Accubattery as once it updates with the display on that will skew the reading. You have about 1 second until Accubattery refreshes so have that window open and look fast.
The power controller won't/can't use the same charging curve with the display on... and will charge much slower. It ramps down the charger current draw to protect the battery when the screen is on. Avoid using while charging.

Reactions: imNazreen
Hey man. Thanks so much for looking into this for me 🙂. This is quite helpful

What refresh rate is your display set at most of the time? And do you usually have auto brightness on or is the brightness shown in your screenshot around where it usually is? Do you game heavily daily?

Your battery usage seems a decent bit higher than mine. But I'm glad to see our capacity estimates are in the same ballpark.
Most welcome. It is coincidence that i taking a walk in this forum and saw your post, so it is like my responsibility to respond at least as for your reference. Really glad that i can help you on that.

Refresh rate 99.9% of my usage will be 60hz to get my phone on long marathon for whole day. But i am charging the phone quite frequent as I am addicted to Asphalt9 and i have to settle down with the addiction. 😂

Most of the time i would prefer auto-brightness but would make some adjustment depending on my surrounding. Dragging as your brightness level on your post for your comparison with mine.

Yes. I am addicted to Asphalt9 and keep playing for almost 10 hours per day. And forcing me to keep my charger set standby in my bag to be use whenever it required. 😂

Also. I noticed if I charge my phone with the bundled charger. After I turn it off for a few hours and turn it on again the battery % is always suddenly 5 to 9% lower than it was when I turned it off. Does yours do this too or is my battery a dud? 🧐
Just for my own theory. Our phone is like car. Whenever it started, it will trigger all system around the 'engine' and forcing some energy to launch all the applications at the same time before you start to use it. But it side effect is painful to see you battery getting drop that much than giving you a little pleasure for a kickstart of the day. I tried once or twice to check on that kind of situation earlier, it dropped within 1-2% only. But the stranger thing i observed, after it got fully charged, and you unplug the charger, you may see it drooping 1% after few seconds. Still be a mystery to me. 😂

The charge current draw can vary widely depending on charge state and temperature.

Real time charging current readings are only valid for the first second on Accubattery as once it updates with the display on that will skew the reading. You have about 1 second until Accubattery refreshes so have that window open and look fast.
The power controller won't/can't use the same charging curve with the display on... and will charge much slower. It ramps down the charger current draw to protect the battery when the screen is on. Avoid using while charging.
I am totally agreed with you as to test the charging speed, the apps does remind us to turn off the display and check after few moments then you can see the charging process is functioning based on when the charging started & for how long was the screen being asleep while charging.

Psst~~ i have a bad habit by using my phone while its charging as i did right now to reply your comment here. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20211209_021854.jpg
    IMG_20211209_021854.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I am totally agreed with you as to test the charging speed, the apps does remind us to turn off the display and check after few moments then you can see the charging process is functioning based on when the charging started & for how long was the screen being asleep while charging.

Psst~~ i have a bad habit by using my phone while its charging as i did right now to reply your comment here. 😂

It's better to do brief midrange power cycling (40-72), Li's like being cycles like this. It reduces the wear on them a lot. Only takes 10 or 15 minutes.
So when you take a break, let it charge.

You can listen to music on bt with Poweramp with the screen off and not effect the charge curve.

It's better to do brief midrange power cycling (40-72), Li's like being cycles like this. It reduces the wear on them a lot. Only takes 10 or 15 minutes.
So when you take a break, let it charge.

You can listen to music on bt with Poweramp with the screen off and not effect the charge curve.
Another thing i would like to seek your advice, does the 'charge separation' is really useful while gaming? Does it affecting our battery life if being enable frequently for a long hours gaming?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Another thing i would like to seek your advice, does the 'charge separation' is really useful while gaming? Does it affecting our battery life if being enable frequently for a long hours gaming?

High discharge rates and back to back fast charging is hard on the battery.
Best to give it some rest breaks especially when you start using more than 10%@hr.
Expect a battery lifespan of about 1-2 years on a heavily used device.

I watch a lot of vids on my N10+ and will replace the battery after about a year, sooner if needed.
It's simply not worth the risk of damaging the device over a $16 battery.

Reactions: imNazreen
Best to give it some rest breaks especially when you start using more than 10%@hr.

I watch a lot of vids on my N10+ and will replace the battery after about a year, sooner if needed.
I see..and hell yeah to look for a rm6 pro battery is not an easy thing and not always ready on stock.

Fyi, i have some OCD symptoms which i could not see any less than a full charged battery capacity before i am going out. Is it affecting to our battery life span if it keep full charged even my battery still got more than 50%-80%?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I see..and hell yeah to look for a rm6 pro battery is not an easy thing and not always ready on stock.

Fyi, i have some OCD symptoms which i could not see any less than a full charged battery capacity before i am going out. Is it affecting to our battery life span if it keep full charged even my battery still got more than 50%-80%?

Watch a tear down for it to see how bad it actually is to replace the battery. Availability will hopefully improve.

In the daytime if the battery has 70% or more of a charge on it, I don't top it off.
At night if it's at 50% or more I don't give it a partial charge until I wake up.
I can charge whenever I need to, so I take advantage of that.

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021

Thanks. This is good to know. Thing is. My battery drops when the phone is off (not screen off, literally phone is turned off) it drops the most after a fresh charge and if I repeat the process it drops very little. Its almost as if it thinks it's charging more than it really is and then drops quickly to the real value?? But here's the thing. It also happens when I do a complete 0-100% charge and then overcharged it until it shows negative charge current. Like the battery should be full at that point shouldn't it? Or is android thinking it's full when it's not and completely cutting current? Is this just a software issue as I suspect?

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021
Ah
Most welcome. It is coincidence that i taking a walk in this forum and saw your post, so it is like my responsibility to respond at least as for your reference. Really glad that i can help you on that.

Refresh rate 99.9% of my usage will be 60hz to get my phone on long marathon for whole day. But i am charging the phone quite frequent as I am addicted to Asphalt9 and i have to settle down with the addiction. 😂

Most of the time i would prefer auto-brightness but would make some adjustment depending on my surrounding. Dragging as your brightness level on your post for your comparison with mine.

Yes. I am addicted to Asphalt9 and keep playing for almost 10 hours per day. And forcing me to keep my charger set standby in my bag to be use whenever it required. 😂
Ah I see. Asphalt 9 + auto brightness explains your fast drain. Still it make me worried my 9% per hour drain is too unusually high.

It baffles me that the Redmagic 5s wins the Netflix endurance test vs the 6d

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks. This is good to know. Thing is. My battery drops when the phone is off (not screen off, literally phone is turned off) it drops the most after a fresh charge and if I repeat the process it drops very little. Its almost as if it thinks it's charging more than it really is and then drops quickly to the real value?? But here's the thing. It also happens when I do a complete 0-100% charge and then overcharged it until it shows negative charge current. Like the battery should be full at that point shouldn't it? Or is android thinking it's full when it's not and completely cutting current? Is this just a software issue as I suspect?

That's not normal. wtf?
Lol, it has a negative attitude🤣
No idea what's causing that but the battery percentage indicator sounds useless.
Return it if you can. May be a mobo failure in progress...

Dog&Banana

Dec 6, 2021
That's not normal. wtf?
Lol, it has a negative attitude🤣
No idea what's causing that but the battery percentage indicator sounds useless.
Return it if you can. May be a mobo failure in progress...
I did it again this time at 63% and my battery went up to 65% while the phone was off overnight. Only to drain to 62% over the course of 20 minutes with the screen off 🤦.

And whenever I fully charge and do a voltmeter hard reset the battery always drops about 7% after the reset.

I think something is very wrong with the battery meter calibration.

Why do you think my mobo is failing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.