• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Battery Replacement

Search This thread

iTakMD

Mar 27, 2018
My battery would need to be charge 3 times a day, so decided to buy a new battery from a seller known for OEM batteries but for $33 compared to the generic $15 ones. (Note: Don't buy cheap torx screwdrivers from china, they stripped like 5 of my screws and i had to use a 1/16 drill bit to drill them out...overall a pain to replace this battery because of that). When i got the battery it had the Motorola logo on it but some of the text/images were in a different position...which got me worried . According to AccuBattery, my old battery had about 60% health, with the new battery after 10 cycle charges has 95% health. Fast/Quick charge does work on this battery, but i'm probably just going to slow charge it to prevent heat buildup to keep my battery lasting longer. Overall the battery is good and seems to be the OEM...here is the link for anyone who wants to get it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-MO...528910?hash=item41df42278e:g:2OYAAOSwiqFacQk0

AlphaKilo09

Oct 27, 2016
Motorola Edge 20
Just wondering.. If there is a higher capacity battery(more than 2800/3000mah) available for Moto X Pure/Style which would fit inside with less problems. I don't care if the back cover doesn't fit.

Update:
I've found a 3600 mah FX30 battery on aliexpress for my Moto X Style and ordered it. Now, only one way to find out if it is truly what it claims on the website. Will update on the item when it arrives as the shipping takes quite a while.
Here's the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32880098674.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.2ac72e0em7Ya7P

Attachments

• FX30.jpg
    FX30.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

R77

Apr 27, 2013
My battery would need to be charge 3 times a day, so decided to buy a new battery from a seller known for OEM batteries but for $33 compared to the generic $15 ones. (Note: Don't buy cheap torx screwdrivers from china, they stripped like 5 of my screws and i had to use a 1/16 drill bit to drill them out...overall a pain to replace this battery because of that). When i got the battery it had the Motorola logo on it but some of the text/images were in a different position...which got me worried . According to AccuBattery, my old battery had about 60% health, with the new battery after 10 cycle charges has 95% health. Fast/Quick charge does work on this battery, but i'm probably just going to slow charge it to prevent heat buildup to keep my battery lasting longer. Overall the battery is good and seems to be the OEM...here is the link for anyone who wants to get it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-MO...528910?hash=item41df42278e:g:2OYAAOSwiqFacQk0

Did you bend the battery to fit the phone?

iTakMD

Mar 27, 2018
Nope, the battery was already curved and fit right in. Just an update...after 20+ cycle charges, Accubattery now says 100% capacity. I guess it's safe to say that that battery is OEM.

R77

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah i needed adhesive to put the back cover back in, i bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N95MWVJ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Think it's just a generic adhesive, wasn't hard to apply and is pretty sticky like the original adhesive...seems to do the job.
Did you use a heat gun to remove the back? Is this the battery you bought:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-MOTO...RY-FX30-3000mAh-3-8V/282918528910?_mwBanner=1

Is the battery still going strong?

iTakMD

Mar 27, 2018
Yes that is the battery i bought, and no i didn't use a heat gun. I used a hair dryer and heated for like 10 seconds and pulled, repeating until it came off. It's only been 3-4 weeks, but yes the battery is running strong.

Reactions: vintagesound

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
I plan on doing this, I have a couple of questions is the adhesive really necessary? I use a phone case with my Moto X Pure, shouldn't I be alright holding everything in place with my case? It's one of those full body cases that have kept my phone from shattering after the numerous times I've dropped it.

Also does anyone have a link to a set of screwdrivers that work for this phone? Preferably one I can pay using PayPal. I don't seem to have torx screwdrivers small enough.

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Pure
Moto X4
I plan on doing this, I have a couple of questions is the adhesive really necessary? I use a phone case with my Moto X Pure, shouldn't I be alright holding everything in place with my case? It's one of those full body cases that have kept my phone from shattering after the numerous times I've dropped it.

Also does anyone have a link to a set of screwdrivers that work for this phone? Preferably one I can pay using PayPal. I don't seem to have torx screwdrivers small enough.
At a minimum I recommend getting a roll of 3M double sided Scotch tape which should work on for the backing. It is already highly recommended to get for securing the battery.

I'm not sure of all the stores to use PayPal but I know you can use it on Sears online. Just search for torx T3. You will get sets and individual screwdrivers and bits. I purchased a small electronics repair kit from Harbor freight which had the torx bit required. It was less than $10 and I do just enough small electronics repairs to make it worth it.

Reactions: ShapeShifter499

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
At a minimum I recommend getting a roll of 3M double sided Scotch tape which should work on for the backing. It is already highly recommended to get for securing the battery.

I'm not sure of all the stores to use PayPal but I know you can use it on Sears online. Just search for torx T3. You will get sets and individual screwdrivers and bits. I purchased a small electronics repair kit from Harbor freight which had the torx bit required. It was less than $10 and I do just enough small electronics repairs to make it worth it.

Good to know that Harbor Freight's kit was good enough, there is one quite close by to me. I'll swing by later to see if they have a kit in stock.

According to AccuBattery, my old battery had about 60% health, with the new battery after 10 cycle charges has 95% health. Fast/Quick charge does work on this battery, but i'm probably just going to slow charge it to prevent heat buildup to keep my battery lasting longer. Overall the battery is good and seems to be the OEM...here is the link for anyone who wants to get it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-MO...528910?hash=item41df42278e:g:2OYAAOSwiqFacQk0

Thanks for the link, just brought one. I hope they are good.

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
Ok so I have a update. I replaced the battery successfully but I haven't had much time to tell if there is a big difference. I brought a $4.99 screwdriver kit with a T3 Torx bit from Harbor Freight. I just used a bunch of 3M "permanent" double sided tape for the battery and the cover, then I replaced my case back on my phone. While I was taking out screws I stripped two, one of which I was able to remove. The other stripped screw was the one directly left of the camera lens and I did not remove it cleanly, instead the whole standoff ripped off the motherboard. I thought had killed the phone at this point but I put it together anyways with the new battery. Everything seems to be working despite the damage. NFC, Wifi, bluetooth, Cellular (data and calls), touch screen, charging, syncing. and both front and back cameras with flash. So I don't know if that bit I ripped off affected anything major. I do notice some backlight bleed in the screen that is so minor that I can live with it. All in all I did manage to save myself money on a new phone and replace the battery. I just hope nothing unseen happens now.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

I think I might be able to "fix" some of the backlight bleed if I can find just one replacement screw that isn't stripped to death. Any ideas where I can get some screws?

CthulhuDreams

Jun 21, 2018
Looking to do this repair myself soon. Is there a consensus on what size of torx bit is actually needed? I've seen conflicting information about whether to use a T3 or T4. Can anyone recommend a size/brand they used to successfully make this repair without stripping any of the screws?

Last edited:

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Pure
Moto X4
Looking to do this repair myself soon. Is there a consensus on what size of torx bit is actually needed? I've seen conflicting information about whether to use a T3 or T4. Can anyone recommend a size/brand they used to successfully make this repair without stripping any of the screws?
T3 is definitely the size for the MXPE XT1575, so I imagine it is the same for XT1572/XT1570. I used a little electronics repair kit from Harbor Freight and it worked nicely without stripping any screws. Just remember that when putting the screws back in, don't torque to much. Just to the point where it is snug has worked fine for me after two months with no screen issues (i.e. discoloration in spots).

Reactions: CthulhuDreams

CthulhuDreams

Jun 21, 2018
So I did the repair, took me far longer than I would have liked. Here's my experience in case the information helps anyone else:

To remove the back cover I used the Motorola SIM tool that came with the phone, and while I was able to pry the back off using the tool and a heat gun I borrowed from a friend the tool is now bent (cheap to replace) but it also bent the phone frame every so slightly where the opening was. It's not noticeable unless you look closely, though I can definitely feel it when I run my finger over the spot.

The most time consuming part for me was trying to remove all the left over adhesive from the phone and back cover. It took me far longer than I'd like to admit before I was happy with my efforts. On the phone itself I used a plastic opening tool to scrape the adhesive being very careful not to hit the ribbon cable between the buttons and camera. On the back cover I used the same tool as well as some Goo Gone, which was much easier than scarping alone with the phone. I considered dipping a cotton swab in some of the solution and then wiping the phone as well but decided I'd rather not risk a liquid near the phone itself and stuck with the scraping approach.

I used a Wiha T3 Torx screwdriver and it worked perfectly, no problem getting the screws out. They were in fairly tight but the driver handle it pretty easy. Took a matter of minutes to get all 20 black screws out.

Separating the two halves took a little effort as one of the two retaining clips just didn't seem to want unfasten, and the other one didn't really fasten properly when I put the phone back together.

I took a picture of the NFC contacts on the current battery so I could place it onto the same spot when I swapped in the new battery. Getting the old battery out took a bit of doing. I did try using the pull tabs, but on one side only about half of it came out so I had to do some prying to separate the battery from the back plate. I was also careful not to tug too hard at the point where the battery was separating from the back plate near the side button's ribbon cable anchor point. There's a bit of adhesive holding that junction in place and if your're not careful you can either pull the connection out and need to reseat it or even worse actually tear the cable itself. Thankfully I manged to pull the battery out without disconnecting or damaging the cable.

The new battery I got was from Mobile Defenders, which from what I read was an authorized Motorola service provider at one point and thus stocks genuine parts. I can't link it, but if you search for FX30 it should come up. Shipping was a bit pricey at $10, as they shipped it FedEx ground properly marked as containing a Lithium battery. This battery was curved, just like my old one and had the same markings (nothing like 'Engineering Sample'). I secured it back into the frame with some 3mm double sided tape I got off Amazon and then stuck the NFC contact back onto the same spot on the new battery.

I then reassembled the two halves and reinstalled the screws. I did some quick checks to make sure the phone charged, powered on, and still had NFC capabilities.

Satisfied that everything was working I then used a die cut piece of doubled sided adhesive I got off Amazon to reattach my original back cover to the back plate.

The new battery seems much improved, though I'll have put it through a few cycles to confirm. AccuBattery reports the charging capacity as over 3000 mAh. Though the actual battery health number hasn't gone up to that yet, it has been slowly increasing since installing the new battery though.

This was the first time I'd ever done something like this, it wasn't too bad, besides all the issues caused by the adhesives. It also made me realized how much I miss easily replaceable cell phone batteries like in my earliest Android phones.

andromobilogy

Dec 2, 2013

After nearly 3 years of usage my old battery had only 7% health according to AccuBattery app.
My phone was on the point that when I ended charging it, 5 min after it was powering off again.
Thank you for the info provided above. I got a new battery from the link above and two adhesive strips from another link posted somewhere else on this thread.
Now I'm on my second charge with the new battery. It feels like the phone is new again.
I did the battery replacement myself watching one or two videos on youtube and with a T4 screwdriver.
New battery was curved from the box and it fit normally to the phone. (Old battery is curved too)
Comparing both batteries just by looking from outside they look nearly identical. (Nearly same text, serials, capacity, weight, color etc)
Of course its soon to judge if its an orginal product or not as I'm just on the 2nd charge but so far I'm back on 3h SoT time with my normal usagel. I'll check after a week how it goes with it :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, search on Ebay for Motorola FX30 battery, there should be two sellers shipping from US (assuming you are in US...). It is around 30 something. I just purchased one that's delivered today, will have to see how it goes... Yes, these are OEM batteries listed as 2800 mah or so, I think it is fine. I think the battery rating is 3000 mah is the average or something like that, but 2800 mah or so is the minimum guaranteed capacity.

I have been hunting for a replacement battery for more than a month, tried two previous sellers that don't actually have them in stock but still accepted my orders.
    I changed mine like 4 months ago, I'm from Brazil, so I bought mine on our version of Ebay, in USD was around 30, and I decided I shouldn't change it myself, just in case something wrong happened, my has that bamboo back and I payed someone to do it, it worked great, the battery has been well used so far, no problems, it's like a new phone, and just for the record, I think what killed my old battery was stupid Pokemon Go, hahaha good luck guys. :fingers-crossed:

After nearly 3 years of usage my old battery had only 7% health according to AccuBattery app.
    My phone was on the point that when I ended charging it, 5 min after it was powering off again.
    Thank you for the info provided above. I got a new battery from the link above and two adhesive strips from another link posted somewhere else on this thread.
    Now I'm on my second charge with the new battery. It feels like the phone is new again.
    I did the battery replacement myself watching one or two videos on youtube and with a T4 screwdriver.
    New battery was curved from the box and it fit normally to the phone. (Old battery is curved too)
    Comparing both batteries just by looking from outside they look nearly identical. (Nearly same text, serials, capacity, weight, color etc)
    Of course its soon to judge if its an orginal product or not as I'm just on the 2nd charge but so far I'm back on 3h SoT time with my normal usagel. I'll check after a week how it goes with it :)
    I use a T3 and destroy literrally all the screws of the phone. I use 3 diferent t3 Screwdrivers and 2 T4. For my the T4 worked better. If you want my advice buy both and check that the quality is very good. At this moment I think the best one is the T4. Be carrefull!