• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

BDS Menu on non Prototype devices

Search This thread

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
I had that happen before. Access denied. Not sure what causes it. You might also try to backup your EFIESP partition, then mount it and run it against it that way then flash it back. I have always ran a bat script to load BCD entries. It is faster and when sending lots of entries takes less time. If good at scripting, one could load those commands into a batch or cmd script. That way you do not have to paste them every time and you just paste the script on the partition and execute it from ps or cmd. @the_R4K_ has a good example of one on his Grub thread that I have edited more than several times to suit my needs.

augustinionut

Apr 21, 2015
Put your phone in mass storage mode. Copy inside bds stuff. Copy cmd.exe from system32 in boot folder and run it like admin. Push bcdedit commands. Erase cmd.exe. Reboot.

Last edited:

gus33000

Aug 9, 2016
Bordeaux
I'll try to work on fixing the "blinking issue" but that's also reproducible on some early prototypes, but should be working definitely on a 950.

Also here's a fixed bootarm.efi (shim) for 950 XLs that had issues with the original one, replace boot/bds/bootarm.efi with this one. I'll fully update the package later.

Edit: fixed version

Attachments

• bootarm.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

CosminNTT

Apr 2, 2016
On my 950 BDS menu is not always opening, it often reboots the phone, and when it does open, it just blinks when selecting an option.

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
I try on a Lumia 950 at&t brand cant get the thing to operate using powershell and entering the command lines from first post all I get is this.

\efi\bds\bootarm.efi : The term '\efi\bds\bootarm.efi' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct
and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ \efi\bds\bootarm.efi
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (\efi\bds\bootarm.efi:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

augustinionut

Apr 21, 2015
I got the menu :)

Only "exit from bds menu" is working .

Attachments

• WP_20180207_20_38_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180207_20_38_32_Pro.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
I try on a Lumia 950 at&t brand cant get the thing to operate using powershell and entering the command lines from first post all I get is this.

\efi\bds\bootarm.efi : The term '\efi\bds\bootarm.efi' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct
and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ \efi\bds\bootarm.efi
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (\efi\bds\bootarm.efi:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
Because what gus33000 posted was a bcd entry. You are trying to use bootarm.efi as command in Powershell if you just paste what he showed. You need to read more about editing a bcd store before attempting this.

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
Because what gus33000 posted was a bcd entry. You are trying to use bootarm.efi as command in Powershell if you just paste what he showed. You need to read more about editing a bcd store before attempting this.

Ah ok. Sadly I didn't take the files out of the phone so now it ended up in a bootloop with a text of press any button to shutdown. I totally bricked my phone so now its in the trash. Wish I would of read more though oh well. So long for the fun lol.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
On my mi4 it most of the options worked but if I rememeber correctly not all the options did. It is possible there are some efi or cert components lacking to make every option work right.

Narik950

Oct 14, 2016
press any button to shutdown - fix

Ah ok. Sadly I didn't take the files out of the phone so now it ended up in a bootloop with a text of press any button to shutdown. I totally bricked my phone so now its in the trash. Wish I would of read more though oh well. So long for the fun lol.

I had the same issue. Below steps fixed it.
1. Interrupt bootloader using WPInternals 2.4 (just before the message shows up). Puts the phone in flash mode.
2. Unlock the bootloader (flashes the bootloader). puts the phone in a boot loop (past the shutdown message)
3. Hard reset.

Before this files required for unlock need to be downloaded.

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014

I had the same issue. Below steps fixed it.
1. Interrupt bootloader using WPInternals 2.4 (just before the message shows up). Puts the phone in flash mode.
2. Unlock the bootloader (flashes the bootloader). puts the phone in a boot loop (past the shutdown message)
3. Hard reset.

Before this files required for unlock need to be downloaded.

Im sure it would work. Though on my pc it just disconeects the phone as soon as it gets to the microsoft logo with text of shutdo2wn phone by then WPInternals doesn't even see there a phone.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Im sure it would work. Though on my pc it just disconeects the phone as soon as it gets to the microsoft logo with text of shutdo2wn phone by then WPInternals doesn't even see there a phone.

nevermind I found what you said when I double looked I need better reading glasses lol

cdsmatheus

May 1, 2018
Itapevi
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this package
* before installing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

M16kROu.jpg

You read it right, here's a functional port of BDS Menu for Lumias unlocked using WPInternals.
Note: I observed some weird behaviors on early x30 devices, including prototypes that had BDS menu out of the box, where the menu would simply act like if it was broken.

The bootarm.efi loader has been taken from the grub package posted here and modified to load menu.efi instead of boot.efi, credits belong to the original person that developed this efi in 2016.

Note: attached two variants, a normal one (fs3) and a fs4 variant, if you get an error about the menu not finding its configuration files, please try the other variant.

Installation instructions:
  • Download the files attached in this post.
  • Place all files downloaded in the EFIESP partition of your phone.
  • Configure BCD exactly like this to have an entry loading BDS menu:
    Nc1XzOP.png
  • Load the entry using your favorite method.
  • Have fun.

So, I could do it as well on My Lumia 930, but it has a problem. My camera button doesn't work (for any reason that I don't know), so I've done the process for Lumias without camera button but, when a enter into the BDS Menu select any option with the power button, nothing happens. Did I forgot something?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this package
    * before installing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

M16kROu.jpg

You read it right, here's a functional port of BDS Menu for Lumias unlocked using WPInternals.
    Note: I observed some weird behaviors on early x30 devices, including prototypes that had BDS menu out of the box, where the menu would simply act like if it was broken.

The bootarm.efi loader has been taken from the grub package posted here and modified to load menu.efi instead of boot.efi, credits belong to the original person that developed this efi in 2016.

Note: attached two variants, a normal one (fs3) and a fs4 variant, if you get an error about the menu not finding its configuration files, please try the other variant.

Installation instructions:
    • Download the files attached in this post.
    • Place all files downloaded in the EFIESP partition of your phone.
    • Configure BCD exactly like this to have an entry loading BDS menu:
      Nc1XzOP.png
    • Load the entry using your favorite method.
    • Have fun.
    I'll try to work on fixing the "blinking issue" but that's also reproducible on some early prototypes, but should be working definitely on a 950.

Also here's a fixed bootarm.efi (shim) for 950 XLs that had issues with the original one, replace boot/bds/bootarm.efi with this one. I'll fully update the package later.

Edit: fixed version
    Note: currently looking at a problem where the block id for efiesp might differ between phones, if you get an error message saying can't load menu configuration file, please tell me your device model.

Edit: Fixed for some other problematic devices, I'll send an alternative version of the menu to see if it fixes it for most with the two variants
    Could you explain how to configure bcd using bcdedit please?

like this...
    rmkLjD04p8Y.jpg

also need add device
    bcdedit /store .\BCD /set "{7e1bd2b8-0ab0-11e8-aa3b-1c3947b79a68}" device partition=f:\efiesp
    and(in my case) add it to customactions( activation by vol up/down )
    bcdedit /store .\BCD /set "{bootmgr}" custom:54000002 "{7e1bd2b8-0ab0-11e8-aa3b-1c3947b79a68}"
    (custom:54000002 == vol down, custom:54000001 == vol up)
    That shim file might not work on 950XL, it simply reboots my phone - haven't figured out why, probably due to new CPU architecture or the firmware itself