• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Be careful! There are two types of screens!

Search This thread

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
Thanks. I haven't seen X3 Pro but considering all specs I don't think it's worth to pay for 11 Lite 5G almost double. However, if weight it's important, then yeah, I say "yes". But only if you will be lucky to get Huaxing because Tianma's sharpness after using LCD in X3 Pro will be unacceptable for you.
Did you order from the Xiaomi UK store? When did you order? I wonder if they've already sold out the batch you bought 🤔 ??
I'm tempted to order a green one but like you said it's double the x3 pro. Not sure what to do!

sirgoldi

Did you order from the Xiaomi UK store? When did you order? I wonder if they've already sold out the batch you bought 🤔 ??
I'm tempted to order a green one but like you said it's double the x3 pro. Not sure what to do!
Yes. Just a few days ago. It's from May 2021 (date on the box). If weight is important, order and return for free if it's not Huaxing.

GOT HUAXING! YES!

FOURTH phone. Green Mint from Xiaomi UK. Difference is DAY AND NIGHT.

I consider this display clearer than Redmi Note 8 Pro while Tianma is clearly the worst performer. What an absolute joke. I wasn't convinced that difference is there but after displays side by side showed by one user I knew I couldn't go wrong with this last gamble.
But, but Tianma is okay, difference is hardly noticeable, it's just deluded us who are overreacting!

Joking aside, glad you managed to sort that out, no more eye strain for you.

Reactions: sirgoldi

sirgoldi

But, but Tianma is okay, difference is hardly noticeable, it's just deluded us who are overreacting!

Joking aside, glad you managed to sort that out, no more eye strain for you.
Exactly... I'm wondering if Xiaomi pays less for Tianma's displays. And why they accepted those if let's say price is similar to what Huaxing expects. You just CAN'T mount in same phone model displays with different (real) resolution because of pixel arrangement. It makes zero sense. In the end they (almost) get away with this and it's not being mentioned that often outside XDA.

sirgoldi

Interesting observation. Looks like black crush exists only on Huaxing displays. I checked both Tianmas and no problem in Netflix while all HDR compatible movies in Netflix app are affected. Also colours are broken. No big deal for me as I rarely use Netflix on phone and usually for non HDR TV series but it needs to be fixed. It's defo a software thing because when I expand notifications panel during broadcast it fixes colours in the background.

Shardana

May 14, 2015
No, I had a Tianma in 4G and the black crush was very visible. Now I have Tianma with 5G and black crush is hardly noticeable (but it's here)

sirgoldi

Anyone know if the 4G models ever come with huaxing panels?
May I ask why you consider 4G version? I have Redmi Note 8 Pro with Mediatek processor almost equivalent to Snap 732. Yes, it's generally still fine but Snap 780 is way, way faster, snappier etc. If you want to take advantage of 90 Hz panel, Snap 780 is a must.

Also if you check on YT, cameras in 5G does visibly better job. They are the same except selfie but as probably half of the job does the processor and half sensor, here is the difference.

And if only 5G comes with Huaxing, it's worth paying more defo.

tolkaNo

Nov 7, 2015
May I ask why you consider 4G version? I have Redmi Note 8 Pro with Mediatek processor almost equivalent to Snap 732. Yes, it's generally still fine but Snap 780 is way, way faster, snappier etc. If you want to take advantage of 90 Hz panel, Snap 780 is a must.

The 4G version is fast enough for me, but it looks like ill have to order the 5G version anyway since im not sure if any of the 4G models come with the huaxing panel at all

Reactions: sirgoldi

laviniu_c

Jun 16, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Mi A2
The 4G version is fast enough for me, but it looks like ill have to order the 5G version anyway since im not sure if any of the 4G models come with the huaxing panel at all

the 4g version also has smth the 5g is still missing.

proper roms as opposed to miui :p

apart from this rant, tianma here 4g black

havent seen a huaxing yet on the courbet.

p.s. and no you dont "have to" switch, like countless users said before it's subjective. if you're happy with your screen then use it. i have a hunch that they seeded a limited number of huaxings at first and further batches are all tianma for 5g anyway. we'd need batch numbers to confirm, mine-s 2021.04

Last edited:

axicos

Sep 27, 2017
Bucharest
So I can confirm this is visible and it bothers you when reading, especially on white backgrounds.
I bought the mi 11 lite 5g jul 30 from eMag Romania and I did not know about this issue and even did not find this forum when searching for phone problems...
After unboxing and starting the setup something was fishy... My eyes could not focus the text without straining.... I thought it might be just me, but once the setup was done and apps installed I started normal usage.
Then my eyes hurt, no you can't spend a long time reading on this screen. But I thought it was just me... So I updated to mi 12.5.3, played with settings and indeed you could find some more acceptable setting and it' s better on warmed setting, maybe read mode etc., But you can still feel it.
So I started searching and came here, ran the debug and no surprise:
MDPPLATFORM_PANEL_K9_TIANMA_NT37701_MP_FHD_PLUS_DSC_CMD
DisplayDxe: K9 36 02 0a C0 amoled dsc cmd
DisplayDxe: Resolution 1080x2400 (1 intf)

For me it is unacceptable and as I am at my first xiaomi phone I am deeply disappointed 😞.
I do mention that I am coming from a Samsung S9+, so maybe my expectations were hight, but I did not expect a flagship, just a decent display.
And I can say the display is good, except for text. This is really going to hurt your eyes in the long term, again predominantly obvious on white background.
I will return it. Any advice on replacements?

Reactions: Warren_Orange

sirgoldi

So I can confirm this is visible and it bothers you when reading, especially on white backgrounds.
I bought the mi 11 lite 5g jul 30 from eMag Romania and I did not know about this issue and even did not find this forum when searching for phone problems...
After unboxing and starting the setup something was fishy... My eyes could not focus the text without straining.... I thought it might be just me, but once the setup was done and apps installed I started normal usage.
Then my eyes hurt, no you can't spend a long time reading on this screen. But I thought it was just me... So I updated to mi 12.5.3, played with settings and indeed you could find some more acceptable setting and it' s better on warmed setting, maybe read mode etc., But you can still feel it.
So I started searching and came here, ran the debug and no surprise:
MDPPLATFORM_PANEL_K9_TIANMA_NT37701_MP_FHD_PLUS_DSC_CMD
DisplayDxe: K9 36 02 0a C0 amoled dsc cmd
DisplayDxe: Resolution 1080x2400 (1 intf)

For me it is unacceptable and as I am at my first xiaomi phone I am deeply disappointed 😞.
I do mention that I am coming from a Samsung S9+, so maybe my expectations were hight, but I did not expect a flagship, just a decent display.
And I can say the display is good, except for text. This is really going to hurt your eyes in the long term, again predominantly obvious on white background.
I will return it. Any advice on replacements?
Just try as long as you will get the one you want... Tianma is brighter on a good side. Still. Blurriness is terrible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TL, DR;

I don't know if within Tianma screens there are better and worst screens but I can say that my phone has Tianma and it's a pretty good screen.

Hi there!

I found this post the same day that I had ordered a Mi 11 Lite 5G. At first I felt dissapointed, I have a very good sight, I feel uncomfortable with blurry screens or blurry lines... but then I thought "Well, I'm gonna use it some days. If I like it without checking what kind of screen it has, I will keep it. If not, I will return it".

I came from an Iphone X (that suffered a horrible accident...) which didn't have a bad screen at all:
    • iPhone X: Super Retina blahblbah 5.8", 1125x2436, 458 ppi
    • Mi 11 L: AMOLED 6.55", 1080x2400, 402 ppi
    Having those numbers in mind I was ready for a similar display but not a better one. I found a nice, colorfull, sharp screen, mostly readable under sunlight.... Nothing to worry about, I wouldn't miss the iPhone X screen.

Three days after the first use, and knowing that I wasn't gonna return it, I checked what screen it has. I was convinced that my screen was a "Huaxing" one. Well... I was wrong, it was a Tianma xD

As I said I have a very good sight and I can't stand blurry texts (like the ones you got on a fresh PC before installing the GPU drivers) and I can't find any problem with the "bad" display. I show you some pictures I managed to shot with a Sony ILCE 5100. You can clearly check the pattern my screen has. Of course, text it's blurry at that distance but at plain sight you CAN'T see those pixels, so text is sharp and nice.

I also checked those problems about screen showing some green patterns in black backgrounds or not going full black in no-HDR videos. I couldn't find any of them. HDR videos in Youtube show a perfect image (I recommend you to check the LG OLED ones) and no-HDR videos show full black when needed.

About the battery usage: I charged the phone 100% after the first use. As I came from iOS I have to download every app again, synch back ups, test the new camera, new menus, blahblahblah... At 19% my Screen On Time was 6 hours 10 minutes. Today, for instance, I have been listening music during 1 hour, I recorded some videos, etc... At 60% the SOT is 2 hours 31 minutes and most of the time with the brightness at 100% as I was under sunlight. Those numbers are using "dark mode" on every app. I don't know if they are good or bad but for me it's enough.

My phone has MIUI 12.5.3. It's from august and I bought it on Fnac in Spain. If you have any question or do you want any more test just tell me ;)

PD: I'm spanish, sorry for the writing mistakes xD
    I recently bought a Mi 11 Lite 5G (still waiting for it) but I've just discovered this thread. If I get a Tianma screen do you think I should return it? Is it really that bad? I come from an old Xiaomi Mi 6 so I'll definitely see a difference in terms of display.

nobody can answer that for ya. use it, try it, if you like it keep it, if you dont return it.

im on a 4g with tianma cant complain. im comparing mine with a 1080p 6+" ips display i had on my old phone, text looks the same. screen feels better since it's amoled and 90hz.

the mi 6 is very small for a 1080p display so you may notice a difference. you cant check the screen type without unboxin it anyway so just use it and see for yourself.
    The first smartphone I've ever had with a blurry screen. In old smartphones with low ppi you could see the pixels, but at least they were crisp.

This is completely unacceptable.
    I bought a mi 11 lite 5G a few days ago, and it's a great phone. On the other hand, I thought the screen was not great, I felt like everything was blurry compared to my old Samsung A5 2016 (also having a 1080p amoled).

After asking around on Reddit, it looks like Xiaomi is using two different screen suppliers, with two different technologies.
    The video below explains it perfectly well.

So it is possible to come across a "PenTile" (or diamond) screen, a classic for AMOLED, or else a "RGB Delta" screen.

The problem with the "RGB Delta" is that it is not as sharp as a "PenTile" because of its pixel layout. We can clearly see a drop in terms of definition and display sharpness. It is especially visible on the text (see photo below, Rgb Delta on the right)

1619803461210.png

I'm really disappointed with Xiaomi, either you get a good screen or a not so good one... I tried to contact the support to have more information, but without more.
    Ok,I can't take better pictures with Iphone 8.Tianma display is 30% brighter and colour calibration is different and more yellowish(in the reality they are not yellow as on those black and white theme dialer pictures but they are still slightly different).Both displays are crisp and clear and I'm sorry I don't have a better camera to take a picture of it.Here are the pics...
    GOT HUAXING! YES!

FOURTH phone. Green Mint from Xiaomi UK. Difference is DAY AND NIGHT.

I consider this display clearer than Redmi Note 8 Pro while Tianma is clearly the worst performer. What an absolute joke. I wasn't convinced that difference is there but after displays side by side showed by one user I knew I couldn't go wrong with this last gamble.
    Hi. I got Mi 11 Lite 5G from Vodafone in UK. Black colour. Display is absolute disaster. Clarity is like in cheap phone 7 years ago. Additionally this display uses 3.8 TIMES more mAh in auto brightness then IPS in my Redmi Note 8 Pro causing much faster battery drain. It was in 90 Hz but now I'm testing in 60 Hz and it will be approximately around double what RM8 Pro needs for display.

This is absolute joke Xiaomi. They sent reviewers good phones and scamming customers with cheap junk displays.

For that reason I can't see any other choice than return this phone. I was so excited because of lightweightness and there we go... I feel Xiaomi scammed me. This is nowhere premium or midrange display. This is cheapest of the cheapest AMOLED. RN8 Pro IPS feels like Lamborghini compared to that junk. Mi Lite 5G screen is so unclear it causes huge discomfort for my eyes.

Thanks for this thread.
    Just received my phone, ran the ADB command and found it's DisplayDxe: K9 42 02 0b amoled dsc cmd!! (Huaxing) :)
    Purchased it (the black color) on eBay from this USA seller page: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194143992052

6YAuPxq.png