• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Be careful! There are two types of screens!

Search This thread

sirgoldi

Today I realized that my new Tianma after returning old Tianma has a big issue. Digitizer is not responding in two spots on screen when trying to swipe or scroll. Touching works everywhere. Maybe it's saying me "man, give up". Anyway, it's time for another call and obviously return. They will start to love me in Voda UK.

(Edit)

Nvm. Just another software bug I think. Restart helped. I need update, come on Voda. Maybe we will find out that Tianma issues are also software thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperL0L

sirgoldi

I think I've already accepted my Tianma. I mean I still don't use this phone outside for work as I heavily drain battery everyday and want to take advantage of having Redmi Note 8 Pro which works still generally fine.

Also Vodafone Mi Lite 5G in UK today received update 12.5.1 so I'm already on new MIUI. No big changes. Still damn fast machine, still a bit blurry text but I have hidden dreams that maybe they can tweak it a bit with software.

doclucas

Jan 10, 2009
Did you ask them to actually verify what they send to you? Or Mi France pretends that there is just one same display like Mi UK does? Vodafone also but I can believe they just don't know because they have wider portfolio and more matters than some not so popular Mi 11 Lite.
Gotta be realistic. No large vendor would verify this pre-shipping.
You are basically expecting them to unbox the phone, turn it on and go all those checks, then repack and ship.
Maybe only small private vendors will take requests like this.

sirgoldi

Gotta be realistic. No large vendor would verify this pre-shipping.
You are basically expecting them to unbox the phone, turn it on and go all those checks, then repack and ship.
Maybe only small private vendors will take requests like this.
Yeah true. But if they would actually commit that there is a problem, they could send you phone you want based on serial number etc. I'm sure they can find out somehow, it's their phone, isn't it? I'm talking here about Xiaomi itself. They just reject the truth and pretend problem doesn't exist while users reporting it and play cat and mouse games until they receive phone with proper display. I surrendered.

Shardana

May 14, 2015
I have not checked but since I have the problem of black pixels I already know which display I have. but I have no desire and time to trying the luck to buy the right one sooner or later. So I ask: is it a problem that can be solved by updating or will it always remain so? Changing with a custom rom in the future the problem will remain the same can it be solved?

sirgoldi

I have not checked but since I have the problem of black pixels I already know which display I have. but I have no desire and time to trying the luck to buy the right one sooner or later. So I ask: is it a problem that can be solved by updating or will it always remain so? Changing with a custom rom in the future the problem will remain the same can it be solved?
Wishful thinking. It's unlikely. Change of font, maybe some kind of antyaliasing but in the end PPI below 260 is way too small amount of pixels to achieve sharpness.

(Edit)
Sorry, might misunderstood you. Are you talking about black crush problem or low sharpness of Tianma display?

Shardana

May 14, 2015
Hopeful thinking. It is unlikely. Font change, perhaps some kind of anti-aliasing, but ultimately the PPI below 260 is too small a pixel amount to achieve sharpness.
I have no problem with sharpness, however, I have the problem of blacks and pixel "spots" in dark images or videos. My writing is clear, or at least I see it well
I was talking black crush, I got confused tread!

EDIT2: In any case, my display is TIANMA ?
MDPPLATFORM_PANEL_K9A_36_02_0A_MP_FHD_DSC_CMD

Last edited:

Shardana

May 14, 2015
The writings I see well though, how is it possible? I took the picture of the display, it's RGB

IMG_20210702_123555.jpg

Black crush is much worse as a nuisance problem

pepsimaxmjs

Jul 12, 2008
Got my Mi 11 Lite 5G today (from Xioami UK). I have a Mi 9 to compare to. I've got to be honest and say I can't tell the difference on sharpness, actually I think in some senses the 11 Lite 5G looks more refined. The noticeable difference is that the Mi 9 (a more expensive phone) is brighter. The colour saturation is also a bit more obvious. That said, by itself the Mi 11 Lite 5G looks like a nice clean display. I have looked at tiny Sky Sports logo in top bar when that app is open and it is readable and not blurred. Pics tell me I probably have the RGB screen - the pattern on zoomed shot shows that I guess.

The blacks are high contrast, and all whites are clean...

I have attached a comparison between the 2 phones on identical content - you will see the white / colour depth is better on the Mi 9.

I wear glasses, and I have to be honest I cannot resolve any blur, weird patches etc. The display is crisp and nice looking. This is a mid-range display and to me looks pretty nice.
IMG_20210702_112501 crop.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210702_123146a.jpg
    MVIMG_20210702_123146a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20210702_123027.jpg
    IMG_20210702_123027.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 87

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TL, DR;

I don't know if within Tianma screens there are better and worst screens but I can say that my phone has Tianma and it's a pretty good screen.

Hi there!

I found this post the same day that I had ordered a Mi 11 Lite 5G. At first I felt dissapointed, I have a very good sight, I feel uncomfortable with blurry screens or blurry lines... but then I thought "Well, I'm gonna use it some days. If I like it without checking what kind of screen it has, I will keep it. If not, I will return it".

I came from an Iphone X (that suffered a horrible accident...) which didn't have a bad screen at all:
    • iPhone X: Super Retina blahblbah 5.8", 1125x2436, 458 ppi
    • Mi 11 L: AMOLED 6.55", 1080x2400, 402 ppi
    Having those numbers in mind I was ready for a similar display but not a better one. I found a nice, colorfull, sharp screen, mostly readable under sunlight.... Nothing to worry about, I wouldn't miss the iPhone X screen.

Three days after the first use, and knowing that I wasn't gonna return it, I checked what screen it has. I was convinced that my screen was a "Huaxing" one. Well... I was wrong, it was a Tianma xD

As I said I have a very good sight and I can't stand blurry texts (like the ones you got on a fresh PC before installing the GPU drivers) and I can't find any problem with the "bad" display. I show you some pictures I managed to shot with a Sony ILCE 5100. You can clearly check the pattern my screen has. Of course, text it's blurry at that distance but at plain sight you CAN'T see those pixels, so text is sharp and nice.

I also checked those problems about screen showing some green patterns in black backgrounds or not going full black in no-HDR videos. I couldn't find any of them. HDR videos in Youtube show a perfect image (I recommend you to check the LG OLED ones) and no-HDR videos show full black when needed.

About the battery usage: I charged the phone 100% after the first use. As I came from iOS I have to download every app again, synch back ups, test the new camera, new menus, blahblahblah... At 19% my Screen On Time was 6 hours 10 minutes. Today, for instance, I have been listening music during 1 hour, I recorded some videos, etc... At 60% the SOT is 2 hours 31 minutes and most of the time with the brightness at 100% as I was under sunlight. Those numbers are using "dark mode" on every app. I don't know if they are good or bad but for me it's enough.

My phone has MIUI 12.5.3. It's from august and I bought it on Fnac in Spain. If you have any question or do you want any more test just tell me ;)

PD: I'm spanish, sorry for the writing mistakes xD
    I recently bought a Mi 11 Lite 5G (still waiting for it) but I've just discovered this thread. If I get a Tianma screen do you think I should return it? Is it really that bad? I come from an old Xiaomi Mi 6 so I'll definitely see a difference in terms of display.

nobody can answer that for ya. use it, try it, if you like it keep it, if you dont return it.

im on a 4g with tianma cant complain. im comparing mine with a 1080p 6+" ips display i had on my old phone, text looks the same. screen feels better since it's amoled and 90hz.

the mi 6 is very small for a 1080p display so you may notice a difference. you cant check the screen type without unboxin it anyway so just use it and see for yourself.
    The first smartphone I've ever had with a blurry screen. In old smartphones with low ppi you could see the pixels, but at least they were crisp.

This is completely unacceptable.
    I bought a mi 11 lite 5G a few days ago, and it's a great phone. On the other hand, I thought the screen was not great, I felt like everything was blurry compared to my old Samsung A5 2016 (also having a 1080p amoled).

After asking around on Reddit, it looks like Xiaomi is using two different screen suppliers, with two different technologies.
    The video below explains it perfectly well.

So it is possible to come across a "PenTile" (or diamond) screen, a classic for AMOLED, or else a "RGB Delta" screen.

The problem with the "RGB Delta" is that it is not as sharp as a "PenTile" because of its pixel layout. We can clearly see a drop in terms of definition and display sharpness. It is especially visible on the text (see photo below, Rgb Delta on the right)

1619803461210.png

I'm really disappointed with Xiaomi, either you get a good screen or a not so good one... I tried to contact the support to have more information, but without more.
    Ok,I can't take better pictures with Iphone 8.Tianma display is 30% brighter and colour calibration is different and more yellowish(in the reality they are not yellow as on those black and white theme dialer pictures but they are still slightly different).Both displays are crisp and clear and I'm sorry I don't have a better camera to take a picture of it.Here are the pics...
    GOT HUAXING! YES!

FOURTH phone. Green Mint from Xiaomi UK. Difference is DAY AND NIGHT.

I consider this display clearer than Redmi Note 8 Pro while Tianma is clearly the worst performer. What an absolute joke. I wasn't convinced that difference is there but after displays side by side showed by one user I knew I couldn't go wrong with this last gamble.
    Hi. I got Mi 11 Lite 5G from Vodafone in UK. Black colour. Display is absolute disaster. Clarity is like in cheap phone 7 years ago. Additionally this display uses 3.8 TIMES more mAh in auto brightness then IPS in my Redmi Note 8 Pro causing much faster battery drain. It was in 90 Hz but now I'm testing in 60 Hz and it will be approximately around double what RM8 Pro needs for display.

This is absolute joke Xiaomi. They sent reviewers good phones and scamming customers with cheap junk displays.

For that reason I can't see any other choice than return this phone. I was so excited because of lightweightness and there we go... I feel Xiaomi scammed me. This is nowhere premium or midrange display. This is cheapest of the cheapest AMOLED. RN8 Pro IPS feels like Lamborghini compared to that junk. Mi Lite 5G screen is so unclear it causes huge discomfort for my eyes.

Thanks for this thread.
    Just received my phone, ran the ADB command and found it's DisplayDxe: K9 42 02 0b amoled dsc cmd!! (Huaxing) :)
    Purchased it (the black color) on eBay from this USA seller page: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194143992052

6YAuPxq.png