General Be careful! There are two types of screens!

Search This thread

Xelycs

Mar 16, 2014
I bought a mi 11 lite 5G a few days ago, and it's a great phone. On the other hand, I thought the screen was not great, I felt like everything was blurry compared to my old Samsung A5 2016 (also having a 1080p amoled).

After asking around on Reddit, it looks like Xiaomi is using two different screen suppliers, with two different technologies.
The video below explains it perfectly well.

So it is possible to come across a "PenTile" (or diamond) screen, a classic for AMOLED, or else a "RGB Delta" screen.

The problem with the "RGB Delta" is that it is not as sharp as a "PenTile" because of its pixel layout. We can clearly see a drop in terms of definition and display sharpness. It is especially visible on the text (see photo below, Rgb Delta on the right)

1619803461210.png

I'm really disappointed with Xiaomi, either you get a good screen or a not so good one... I tried to contact the support to have more information, but without more.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
thanks for the information! That is unfortunate. Maybe these screens are split along regions? The 780G 5G mi 11 lite comes in China and global versions (former network bands are slightly different in both 4g and 5g). Is yours a global, EU version or the China version? Device name MZB08JXEU 5G EU or M2101K9G 5G Global or M2101K9C 5G China? Am not 100% clear on whether the EU actually differs from the global.

fegone

Nov 30, 2008
Ohhh snap!
Mine is waiting on my desk to be setted up
I'll keep you updated

Xelycs

Mar 16, 2014
thanks for the information! That is unfortunate. Maybe these screens are split along regions? The 780G 5G mi 11 lite comes in China and global versions (former network bands are slightly different in both 4g and 5g). Is yours a global, EU version or the China version? Device name MZB08JXEU 5G EU or M2101K9G 5G Global or M2101K9C 5G China? Am not 100% clear on whether the EU actually differs from the global.

My device name is M2101K9G (from French Xiaomi Store)

Xelycs

Mar 16, 2014
if you have good eyes, it's visible when you are close, but otherwise no i don't know :/

fegone

Nov 30, 2008
My device name is M2101K9G (from French Xiaomi Store)
I have the same model, i don't use it right now, but soon. I'll give you my feedback soon
The thing with your A5 (2016) is that the pixel density is a bit higher. Also i remember my dad has this A5 (2016), and I was impressed with the quality of the screen

vanpopel

Jun 2, 2012
Hi, I can't see evidence of what display model has my mi 11 lite 5g.

I ordered in mi.com (Spain), special edition (MFF, Mi Fan Festival edition) 8G/128G black.

I compared with my wife mi 9T and mi 11 lite 5g looks equal or better, not worse.

Don't know if i have the good display or simply I can't appreciate it.

Reactions: CamoGeko

Xelycs

Mar 16, 2014
@vanpopel With the zoom of the mi9T, it should be possible to take a picture of the screen of the mi 11 lite, and see the pixel structure of it

fegone

Nov 30, 2008
on my M2101K9G i have a rgb delta, the definition is different than my pixel, but on a daily usage, like 20cm from your eyes, is unnoticable, maybe I have bad eyes.
Anyways, I wll return my device, the speakers are awful, the camera is below average, and the screen is too big for me, I have a pixel 3a... I prefer compact phones.

Xelycs

Mar 16, 2014
@vanpopel, ok it's like me, RGB Delta (there is no "dot" like with PenTile).
So it seems to be very common, well here in Europe...

EDIT: And now I see that my screen is already burned.... (by 1h 1/2 of Waze use, 75% brightness)... wtf?

You can see it at the top and bottom (it's faint but clearly visible IRL)

1620242909205.png

Last edited:

vanpopel

Jun 2, 2012
@Xelycs

I am seeing some reviews on the web of different smartphones and they say pentile matrix resolution when screen is showing blue or red pixels is smaller than RGB, and image in RGB displays is sharper.

I haven't deep knowledge of screen technologies, and I suspect not only pentile or RGB information is enough to measure display quality. I mean, there may be good or bad RGB displays and good or bad pentile ones ¿?.

Is the RGB implementation of our screen so bad? Or it can be considered good display, and pentile excelent display? Or our RGB display is completely trash?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought a mi 11 lite 5G a few days ago, and it's a great phone. On the other hand, I thought the screen was not great, I felt like everything was blurry compared to my old Samsung A5 2016 (also having a 1080p amoled).

After asking around on Reddit, it looks like Xiaomi is using two different screen suppliers, with two different technologies.
    The video below explains it perfectly well.

So it is possible to come across a "PenTile" (or diamond) screen, a classic for AMOLED, or else a "RGB Delta" screen.

The problem with the "RGB Delta" is that it is not as sharp as a "PenTile" because of its pixel layout. We can clearly see a drop in terms of definition and display sharpness. It is especially visible on the text (see photo below, Rgb Delta on the right)

1619803461210.png

I'm really disappointed with Xiaomi, either you get a good screen or a not so good one... I tried to contact the support to have more information, but without more.
    After a bit of research I've found out that the Xiaomi 11 Lite NE (lisa) has exactly 2 types of panels - Tianma and CSOT. Comparison between the 2 can be found here. CSOT is from TCL and is supposed to be better than tianma, but I am yet to come across any lisa unit or user with CSOT. Most of them, including myself, are having Tianma.

To check yours in MIUI, take a bugreport (settings > about > all specs > tap on cpu multiple times). It will be exported as a zip. Extract it, then extract the zip inside it, then you should see dumpstate_board.txt. Open it, and search for DisplayDxe.

If you see
    Code:
    DisplayDxe: K9D 36 02 0a amoled dsc cmd
    Then you have a tianma panel.

CSOT panel will show up as
    Code:
    DisplayDxe: K9D 42 0d 0b amoled dsc cmd

Somewhere near that text you might also see
    Code:
    MDPPLATFORM_PANEL_K9D_CSOT_VTDR6130_FHD_PLUS_DSC_CMD
    Ignore this as its wrong, it shows the same even for tianma units.

Another way to check is open the large text file bugreport-lisa***.txt, and search for
    goodix_get_panel_type. This is basically the dmesg of the goodix touchscreen driver. Tianma panel will show as:
    Code:
    [GTP-INF][goodix_get_panel_type:1054] This is TM Display Panel!
    While the CSOT panel will show:
    Code:
    [GTP-INF][goodix_get_panel_type:1054] This is CSOT Display Panel!

Hope this helps!

On a side note: Even though I have a Tianma panel, personally I don't notice any issues with it. Yes, text might be less sharper but I notice that only when I'm looking through a magnifying glass or a macro camera. Normally to my naked eyes, it looks perfectly fine. Perhaps the Tianma panel on lisa (NE) might be slightly improved over the Tianma panel on renoir (non-NE) after all.

Edit 2: Tianma panels do have a bit of black crush. Not sure if CSOT has it too.
    Ok,I can't take better pictures with Iphone 8.Tianma display is 30% brighter and colour calibration is different and more yellowish(in the reality they are not yellow as on those black and white theme dialer pictures but they are still slightly different).Both displays are crisp and clear and I'm sorry I don't have a better camera to take a picture of it.Here are the pics...
    Hi. I got Mi 11 Lite 5G from Vodafone in UK. Black colour. Display is absolute disaster. Clarity is like in cheap phone 7 years ago. Additionally this display uses 3.8 TIMES more mAh in auto brightness then IPS in my Redmi Note 8 Pro causing much faster battery drain. It was in 90 Hz but now I'm testing in 60 Hz and it will be approximately around double what RM8 Pro needs for display.

This is absolute joke Xiaomi. They sent reviewers good phones and scamming customers with cheap junk displays.

For that reason I can't see any other choice than return this phone. I was so excited because of lightweightness and there we go... I feel Xiaomi scammed me. This is nowhere premium or midrange display. This is cheapest of the cheapest AMOLED. RN8 Pro IPS feels like Lamborghini compared to that junk. Mi Lite 5G screen is so unclear it causes huge discomfort for my eyes.

Thanks for this thread.
    GOT HUAXING! YES!

FOURTH phone. Green Mint from Xiaomi UK. Difference is DAY AND NIGHT.

I consider this display clearer than Redmi Note 8 Pro while Tianma is clearly the worst performer. What an absolute joke. I wasn't convinced that difference is there but after displays side by side showed by one user I knew I couldn't go wrong with this last gamble.