BeamWidgets - Flashlight Widgets for Desire *26. July, 2010*

Search This thread

f3d0r

Feb 8, 2007
I started to code a small widget collection to make good use of the nice HTC Desire flash led as flashlight and more...
At the moment only one App Widget is ready for testing, more widgets and configuration options are in the works.
(also works on standard ROMs, no root required)

If someone wants to give it a try:

While in configuration the led is on so you can check how bright your choosen level is.

config.png
chart

WARNING: Be carefull about long time operation on all but the lowest brightness level as overheating may kill your led ;)

*Changelog*
- fixed problem with non-functional widget on screen rotate or HTC scene change

- Added haptic feedback/vibrate option to widget configuration
- Widget options now persistent
- Reset widget on Power-/Screen-Off

- Added configuration activity to control torch brightness
- Added a HTC widget style version

*Known issues*
- HTC kernel needed with Froyo-ROMs (e.g. LeeDroid)

regards ;)

Last edited:

f3d0r

Feb 8, 2007
I tweaked the icon a little bit by adding some padding, more sophisticated icons may be following ;)

jonmall1441

Apr 14, 2010
Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Does this app require a rooted desire or will it work on any old desire?

UPDATE: Tested it out on my unrooted desire and works fine :). Awesome app been looking for one for since i got the desire, i tend to lose things hehe....

Last edited:

f3d0r

Feb 8, 2007
A small comment on the request for more brightness:
In full-power/flash mode the led would overheat quickly without extensive cooling (which the desire lacks for sure). The rsult would be a dead led in very short time.

However, a "Boost" widget which switches the led to full power mode for a few seconds will be added next.

f3d0r

Feb 8, 2007
nice, thanks!

But is it really necessary to read the telephone status and change sd content?

(yes, i'm a little bit paranoid ...)

In fact the Widget does not request any permissions in it's manifest but this seems to be an issue of android backward compatibility:
code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4101

However, as we don't need this I have fixed the issue by specifying a Min SDK requirement in already updated APK.

regards ;)

Whiterin

Mar 3, 2010
The Widget works well. Maybe make a way to lock screen when you turn it on so you don't accidentally hit other stuff when you're using the light. When I use a light I am usually not paying attention to what I am hitting on the screen. lol.

How did you get screenshots of your phone with Android? I haven't seen any apps that let you do it without root access.