Question Beginner with flashing official xiaomi rom on Mi 11 Lite 5G NE

Search This thread

SebThi

Aug 10, 2022
Hello everybody,

I'm new on XDA and installing ROM on phones . I hope my english will be comprehensible.

I've got a Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G NE.
I obtained it with my mobile subscription at SFR (a french provider).

I read on XDA (and on others websites) that the 2 last letters in the version of MIUI in my phone indicates if the ROM is an "official" ROM by xiaomi or if it contains a provider overcoat.

My phone seems to use a provider overcoat.

It has Miui Global 13.0.1 Stable version.
In the details of MIUI Version, it's wrote MIUI Global 13.0.1 Stable 13.0.1(SKOEUSF).

I understand, unless I am mistaken, that the ROM is an European ROM.
The "SF" at the end meaning SFR in my case.

I would like to replace my actual ROM by an official Xiaomi Rom mainly to get the updates faster.

So I have many questions :

1. How can I do a full backup of my phone to restore it in case of problem ? I read something about a Nandroid backup but I didn't understand everything about it. Is there a good tutorial somewhere to do it ?

2. I saw that I have to use Mi Unlock tool to unlock bootloader. If I don't do that, I will not be able to change the ROM. Am I wrong ?

3. If not, where can I download this tool to unlock. I found many sites and I feel lost to find the good one. Is this one is the good to use : https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html ?

4. Do I need to use a tool like TWRP ?

5. After that, I have to download the ROM.
    I found this one to install an European ROM : https://c.mi.com/oc/miuidownload/detail?device=1900401 in the Xiaomi 11 Lite 5G NE EEA Section on the left. Is it correct ?

6. To install this ROM, I understand i have to use a tool to flash it.
    Where can I download the tool because I found many versions.
    I think this one is the good but I'm not sure of that : https://xiaomiflashtool.com/download/xiaomi-flash-tool-20220507.

7. Finally I found this video (in French). It explains how to proceed to do this ROM changing but I'm not sure if it's the good procedure :

Thanks a lot for your help

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Some answers

First, you will need to unlock Bootloader, process will take 168 hours (7 days). Same procedure for all Xiaomi phones, google to find how-to

Be aware that unlocking BL will trigger Factory reset on your phone (hence do the backup in advance)

You need BL unlocked to switch to EEA, and optionally also to install TWRP (Orange Fox or other custom recoveries), custom ROMs or just kernels, root (Magisk)

Following is a useful app to find Xiaomi ROMs for your device:

Attached is an older doc describing the Xiaomi firmware names

Android backup requires TWRP, hence already unlocked Bootloader.
There is a good app for backup-restore but it requires root (hence already unlocked BL and Magisk installed):

For unlocking BL you will need MI account - with their account you can also do backup (open Settings and scroll to Mi Account).
Otherwise you have Google account backup...

When flashing with MiFlash, pay attention that you do not relock Bootloader - by default relocking is enabled.
If anything goes wrong and phone would not boot, ppl get bricked phones - since BL was locked, they cannot flash again to fix and they cannot unlock BL since phone does not boot, they have to seek for paid help from authorized EDL accounts

Official TWRP.me does not yet support Android 12. There is an Orange Fox recovery here on XDA that should work with your MIUI 13/A12 (I am intentionally on MIUI 12.5.8/A11 still)

But you don't need TWRP (for switching to EEA, even for installing Magisk if you would wish).
Backup with Swift app is more useful than And round backup in custom Recovery bcs in Swift you can restore only selected apps, etc (Nandroud backup restores everything from the moment when it was backed up)

Useful link:

Btw, for anything (even for unlocking BL) you will need ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC.
Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot (find its thread on XDA) or Google Platform Tools

Attachments

• Xiaomi-ROM-Nomenclature.jpg
    Xiaomi-ROM-Nomenclature.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

SebThi

Aug 10, 2022
@zgfg,

Thank you for your answer.

168 hours to unlock the bootloader ? It is very long.
So I'm not sure i want to try this if finally it could fail.

I've installed MIUI Downloader but which file(s) must I download : Recovery, OTA, Fastboot, each of them ?

I ever have a Mi Account.

I'm searching for a method very detailed (if it is possible or exist) to change the ROM, but honnestly I'm a little stressed about doing this operation.
I wouldn't brick my phone.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
@zgfg,

Thank you for your answer.

168 hours to unlock the bootloader ? It is very long.
So I'm not sure i want to try this if finally it could fail.

I've installed MIUI Downloader but which file(s) must I download : Recovery, OTA, Fastboot, each of them ?

I ever have a Mi Account.

I'm searching for a method very detailed (if it is possible or exist) to change the ROM, but honnestly I'm a little stressed about doing this operation.
I wouldn't brick my phone.
Google about 168 hours - that's Xiaomi measure to make it harder for resellers who buy phones in China, flash them with Global or EEA and sell worldwide

Recovery firmware is only for upgrading while staying with the same locale (Global to Global, etc).
For that you don't need unlocked Bootloader and they install through stock Recovery

To switch from eg CN to EEA, you need unlocked BL, Fastboot firmware and MiFlash

SebThi

Aug 10, 2022
Ok.
Thanks for your answer.
Before starting anything I will try to search a lot of experiences of other owners who did that.
Maybe one day, i'll try

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
It's only 7 days. Start the unlocking BL process ASAP, during the week learn more and decide what you will do when you unlock BL

Better than to rush and brick the phone

SebThi

Aug 10, 2022
OK. I wil try that.
Another question : to unlock the booloader it runs during 7 days night and days ?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
OK. I wil try that.
Another question : to unlock the booloader it runs during 7 days night and days ?
It takes 7 days

You have to 'use the phone', ie it must have SIM card and be turned on

You may turn it sporadically off but they don't allow that you eg buy ten phones, request unlocking Bootloaders with a single SIM for all of them, and then wait 7 days that you can unlock (change firmwares and sell them)

Please understand their point. I cannot tell you how many minutes the phone can be turned off daily or something.
Besides, if you google, you will find a lot about

BisonBro

Aug 12, 2022
I have one question regarding to the same topic. Lot of custom roms use recommend to use their own custom recovery for flashing the rom. After flashing the ROM, can another recovery be loaded into the device or can twrp or orange fox be used to flash custom roms even if they recommend to use their custom recover for flashing?

It does not run continiously during the 7 days. You can open the mi unlock app, request to unlock BL. You will see a message telling you to wait for 7 days. Then you can unplug the phone and use it as normal. After 7 days, plug the phone back in and you will be able to unlock BL without problem.