[Beginners Guide]How to root Samsung Galaxy Note [ICS][JB]

Search This thread

kalo0osh97

Mar 17, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Hello XDA,
I know there are lot of guides on how to root the Galaxy Note ,but unfortunately I have not seen a guide that is clear enough to beginners that know nothing about Android. So, after hard work I have done a guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy note and put it in your hands.

Note:I Have Also Made A Picture Full Guide So, IF This Guide Wasn't Clear For You, You Can Go HERE

Introduction:
Today, I will guide you on how you can root your Samsung Galaxy Note Gt-N7000 that has ice cream sandwich and Jellybean Android firmware. We have two ways for rooting this device. The first one is very simple because it involves install an app then get root from that app.The other method is rooting via stock recovery, it will also install a safe kernel and ClockWorkMod recovery.

Disclaimer:
I’m not responsible if something went wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong), you’re doing this on your own responsibility.
Rooting your device will void your warranty.To know more about rooting check What is rooting and it’s top 10 benefits.
Backup your Data like contacts and apps so IF something bad happened you will be prepared.
All these methods WONT trigger the yellow triangle. :D

Remember:.
it's Always better to backup your device before proceeding with any of these methods.You can also always check my article about How To backup Every Android Mobile Phone

Method1:Rooting via installing an application:
This method is very easy and simple but not recommended because you will have to patch the exploit (the bug) that allowed you to root which Might make your camera stop working but the camers will also work again after you unpatch the exploit. Also, this will change your phone status to modified. So, only do this if you are sure that you want to root your device easily.
Step1:Download the apk(the application) from Chainfire Original Thread.

Step2: After you have finished downloading the app. Install it by going to the directory you download it to, then click on it. If you got this error message
Go to Setting-> Security-> Tick “Unknown Sources”

Step3: Now open the app and click “Root device”. As showen.

Step4:Now you will get this screen so click “Grant”.

Step5: Now your device is rooted but,for Security reasons you have to tick “Disable Exploit” & “Disable Exploit on boot”. IF you had any issues with the camera than untick these options.

Step6: Now close this app and go to you app drawer where you will find a new app called SuperSu,click on it and when it opens it will ask you to update the binary so tab on “Continue”.
Finally this means you are rooted,
Hooray!

OR

Method2:
Rooting with Stock Recovery+Safe Kernal + CWM Recovery: [recommended]
Requirements:
1-You will need to download the kernel based on your rom from HERE (Download the .zip file only). You will find the kernel version in the “Setting-> About phone”. If you found problems to find your kernel don’t hesitate to ask.

Let’s Start:
Step1:Copy the .zip file to your External SD card
Step2: Now shutdown your galaxy note completely. Then, boot into recovery mode by holding the volume up+ the home button, Now press the power button ONLY for 5 seconds.(Keep pressing the Volume up +Home button after you see your phone model screen)
Step3:After then you will see the recovery menu,Now choose “install update from External SD”. And choose the .zip file we downloaded earlier .
Step4:Then choose yes. Now your phone will install the root. After your phone reboots you should see SuperSu app in your app drawer.

Hooray You’re ROOTED

NOTE:This method will root your phone + install CWM recovery but if you wanted to only root then follow method 3.

Method3:Rooting with Stock Recovery:
NOTE: This method could brick your phone if you wipe your data\factory reset. So, make sure you don’t wipe data\factory reset. Or root using method 2.
Requirements:
Download these files:
1- Root_Busybox_1.20.2.zip
2-Root_SuperSU.0.95-FreeSpace.zip

Let’s Start:
Step1:Copy both files to your External SD card
Step2: Now shutdown your Galaxy Note completely. Then, boot into recovery mode by holding the volume up+ the home button, Now press the power button ONLY for 5 seconds.(Keep pressing the Volume up +Home button after you see your phone start.)
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"[SIZE="4"]]Step3:[/SIZE][/COLOR]After then you will see the recovery menu, Now choose “install update from External SD”. And choose the “Root_SuperSU.0.95-FreeSpace.zip” file we downloaded earlier .And choose yes.
Step4:Now go back to the main recovery menu,Aslo Choose “Install update from External SD” And choose the “Root_Busybox_1.20.2.zip” file we downloaded earlier. After your phone reboots you should see SuperSu app in your app drawer.

Hooray You’re ROOTED

Last edited:

pro1998

Jul 11, 2012
Re: [Beginners Guide]How to root Samsung Galaxy Note

Does it work on jb?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
The idea is the beginner goes and learns, using the guide as a list of things he needs to be competent at.
People want it way to easy. IMO

Sent from BOX13.

harry92008

Jun 18, 2012
Realme X7 Max 5G
i rooted my phone using 2nd method and installed latest nighlty. now i want to install another rom based on jb 4.1.1..should i simply flash it using recovery or do i need to do anything else

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

phone in boot loop now...wiped the dalvik cache and installed jb 4.1.1 rom..came from 4.2.2 ...anybody???

Apr 7, 2013
Craigavon
Great guide

As the title says, great effort!! I personally followed another guide about 6 months ago but this definitely makes it concise and easier to follow with little prior knowledge.

qazibasit

Mar 24, 2012
install the exynos abuse app and just click a button and ur rooted.

we need guides ages before

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Markuzy

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
Kinda late for another guide for an outgoing device lol?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

adxmas

Apr 7, 2013
Hi, my phone is rooted following method3 without busybox. My question is can I proceed with method2 straightly or should I undo what I already did (uninstall superSU for instance)?

Thanks in advance.

letakomahieu

Sep 15, 2012
Check on google, there a app call "1 click root"
Look very interesting to me :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

ngeshuu

Apr 5, 2011
Kernel question

Hi!

Just came along this guide to rooting and it seems simple enough. I just wanted to ask something about the philz kernels.

I saw on the Phils kernel page that there are numerous versions for a single kernel (eg: XXLRI-AUT ver 2.7 then there is the newest i think which is the 3.99)

If ever I will be flashing that kernel do I need to use the oldest version then work my way up to the newest?

Thanks in advance!

Cyrion

Feb 26, 2012
Ngeshuu
You do not need an oldest if you want to flash
A philz kernel 3.99

Envoyé depuis mon GT-N7000 avec Tapatalk

Reactions: ngeshuu

ngeshuu

Apr 5, 2011
Ngeshuu
You do not need an oldest if you want to flash
A philz kernel 3.99

Envoyé depuis mon GT-N7000 avec Tapatalk

Thanks! one last question, do i need to downgrade back to GB? ive got the 2 ics updates via OTA and ive read somewhere here that some people need to reset back to GB. :cyclops:

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA,
    I know there are lot of guides on how to root the Galaxy Note ,but unfortunately I have not seen a guide that is clear enough to beginners that know nothing about Android. So, after hard work I have done a guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy note and put it in your hands.

Note:I Have Also Made A Picture Full Guide So, IF This Guide Wasn't Clear For You, You Can Go HERE

Introduction:
    Today, I will guide you on how you can root your Samsung Galaxy Note Gt-N7000 that has ice cream sandwich and Jellybean Android firmware. We have two ways for rooting this device. The first one is very simple because it involves install an app then get root from that app.The other method is rooting via stock recovery, it will also install a safe kernel and ClockWorkMod recovery.

Disclaimer:
    I’m not responsible if something went wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong), you’re doing this on your own responsibility.
    Rooting your device will void your warranty.To know more about rooting check What is rooting and it’s top 10 benefits.
    Backup your Data like contacts and apps so IF something bad happened you will be prepared.
    All these methods WONT trigger the yellow triangle. :D

Remember:.
    it's Always better to backup your device before proceeding with any of these methods.You can also always check my article about How To backup Every Android Mobile Phone

Method1:Rooting via installing an application:
    This method is very easy and simple but not recommended because you will have to patch the exploit (the bug) that allowed you to root which Might make your camera stop working but the camers will also work again after you unpatch the exploit. Also, this will change your phone status to modified. So, only do this if you are sure that you want to root your device easily.
    Step1:Download the apk(the application) from Chainfire Original Thread.

Step2: After you have finished downloading the app. Install it by going to the directory you download it to, then click on it. If you got this error message
    Go to Setting-> Security-> Tick “Unknown Sources”

Step3: Now open the app and click “Root device”. As showen.

Step4:Now you will get this screen so click “Grant”.

Step5: Now your device is rooted but,for Security reasons you have to tick “Disable Exploit” & “Disable Exploit on boot”. IF you had any issues with the camera than untick these options.

Step6: Now close this app and go to you app drawer where you will find a new app called SuperSu,click on it and when it opens it will ask you to update the binary so tab on “Continue”.
    Finally this means you are rooted,
    Hooray!

OR

Method2:
    Rooting with Stock Recovery+Safe Kernal + CWM Recovery: [recommended]
    Requirements:
    1-You will need to download the kernel based on your rom from HERE (Download the .zip file only). You will find the kernel version in the “Setting-> About phone”. If you found problems to find your kernel don’t hesitate to ask.

Let’s Start:
    Step1:Copy the .zip file to your External SD card
    Step2: Now shutdown your galaxy note completely. Then, boot into recovery mode by holding the volume up+ the home button, Now press the power button ONLY for 5 seconds.(Keep pressing the Volume up +Home button after you see your phone model screen)
    Step3:After then you will see the recovery menu,Now choose “install update from External SD”. And choose the .zip file we downloaded earlier .
    Step4:Then choose yes. Now your phone will install the root. After your phone reboots you should see SuperSu app in your app drawer.

Hooray You’re ROOTED

NOTE:This method will root your phone + install CWM recovery but if you wanted to only root then follow method 3.

Method3:Rooting with Stock Recovery:
    NOTE: This method could brick your phone if you wipe your data\factory reset. So, make sure you don’t wipe data\factory reset. Or root using method 2.
    Requirements:
    Download these files:
    1- Root_Busybox_1.20.2.zip
    2-Root_SuperSU.0.95-FreeSpace.zip

Let’s Start:
    Step1:Copy both files to your External SD card
    Step2: Now shutdown your Galaxy Note completely. Then, boot into recovery mode by holding the volume up+ the home button, Now press the power button ONLY for 5 seconds.(Keep pressing the Volume up +Home button after you see your phone start.)
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"[SIZE="4"]]Step3:[/SIZE][/COLOR]After then you will see the recovery menu, Now choose “install update from External SD”. And choose the “Root_SuperSU.0.95-FreeSpace.zip” file we downloaded earlier .And choose yes.
    Step4:Now go back to the main recovery menu,Aslo Choose “Install update from External SD” And choose the “Root_Busybox_1.20.2.zip” file we downloaded earlier. After your phone reboots you should see SuperSu app in your app drawer.

Hooray You’re ROOTED
    If you are planning to go for Method 2, then you will need to match the build number not the kernel version.
    [Beginners Guide]How to root Samsung Galaxy Note

Reserved
    So I press home + power + volume down to go into download mode. Then using Odin install the xxlrk firmware and install that. Does that also take away the cwm as well as unrooting it.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Thanks forest1971 I only want to know in case I was selling it or giving it to someone else. I just wanted to return it to factory settings. It was so simple in the first instance to root and install cwm but it seems a bit of a task to undo these changes.
    Yes brings it back to stock.
    go to the first post on philz thread kernel for N7000 and do a Ctrl+F and search for XXLT4