• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Bell Optimus 4G LTE Adventures

Search This thread

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
So for the first time i am going to do something i have never done before... HEEEEELP!!!!

Sooooo I guess i will admit that i have fubared my Bell Optimus 4G LTE. I accidentally disabled my LG Stock Launcher and in my haste really fubared my phone. Without any way of regaining an su prompt or root access, i am essentially screwed.

I now have all 3 softkeys at the bottom flashing at once, and the only mode i can enter is adb shell, no SU access available because the phone reboots constantly now before the system partition finishes loading. I can get into download mode, but this serves me no purpose. the Bell unit has only 2GB of internal storage and no other P930 is similar to this one so the chances of recovery are none to none.

I have a feeling i may have to wait until the ICS update comes along as there is no .kdz file available for the Bell p930 yet.

If anyone knows more than me or can come across a .kdz for the Bell P930, please let me know. Bell does not accept returns and will shoot it directly to LG and once they crack it open, well the SuperUser.apk will pop out like a sore thumb and will screw me over for any replacement.

UPDATE!!******************************************************************
I followed Manilion's guide HERE with one very important difference: BELL OPTIMUS USERS MUST NOT FLASH THEIR BASEBAND mmcblk0p14 WHATSOEVER!!! use THIS stock Bell baseband image to preserve your Bell network access!!!!

These are the partitions and image names:

mmcblk0p1 -> firmware.img
mmcblk0p8 -> boot.img
mmcblk0p13 -> recovery.img
mmcblk0p14 -> baseband.img BELL USERS DO NOT FLASH THIS!!!
mmcblk0p27 -> system.img

You will also need to add the Bell APN Settings in Settings -> Wireless and networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names

Here's the Bell APN Settings if anyone needs them (these also allow LTE access) :

Name: Bell
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
Port: 80
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
MMSC proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 610
APN type : <Not set>

Last edited:

schwin97

May 26, 2010
If it isn't working then you have nothing to lose in sending it to LG to get fixed. The fix probably takes all of five minutes to reload the software. They may charge, but they may not? Never hurts to try...

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
So, i have successfully flashed the SU640 .KDZ file to my unit and rooted it. I am up and running but the firmware is.... buggy... sluggish, and quite a bit of FC's.

I am trying to find the LG Nitro KDZ to flash, any help would be appreciated on this, maybe i could get a LG Nitro user to send me their IMEI via PM so i can download it from LG please???

Last edited:

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
@repherb,

Sweet! Sounds like you're about halfway through my recovery tutorial. What you need now is for a kind soul to post their partition images from the Optimus LTE 4G. I don't know if the default partition layout for the Optimus is the same as the SU640, though...

Maybe LiViD there can help you if he has the Optimus LTE 4G.

I'll do whatever I can to help guide you through the process should you need it.

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
Alright, I'll dig through the partition layout and get you a list of the mmcblk's that you need to copy with the dd command :)

This'll be outstanding if we can get a recovery tutorial that works for both the Optimus and the Nitro.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

@LiViD,

There should be a file somewhere in a folder called bootimg-ramdisk/etc/recovery_mmc.fstab according to this post by schwin97. I need the contents of that file to make sure your partition layout is the same as the Nitro's. If it is the same, this is going to be really easy :)

[email protected]

Sep 24, 2007
If you can get into adb shell and stay there, then all you need to do is re-root.
In last 2 weeks I've done it at least hundred times while messing around with SystemUI.apk file.

If SuperOneClick doesn't work, then try manual root, if that fails, use the old version of zergRush binary which I posted under manual root topic. It might take several tries before it succeed (I once had to try non-stop for 2 hours, while it was boot animation looping, but zergRush finally succeeded)

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
<starts grinding up the ROM Flashing program> all right boys and girls it's time to FLASH!!

@ [email protected]: yup i am past the point of no return

@LiViD: feels like a spinoff of that movie: "Dude! Where's my (car) partitions?!", and yes your (or anyone's help on Bell) help would be most appreciated.

@Malnilion: Yup i have discovered the partitions are identical across the P930 from Bell and SKT SU640.

So it looks like this might be an exercise in patience waiting for ICS or the partitions from a Optimus LTE 4G. An industry insider from GlenTel (tbooth, wireless wave) has informed me that LG has notified Bell of a February timeline for the ICS update. Whether this holds true or not is beyond me, but he has been right before.

To everyone, thank you for helping me out of this jam so far, and for your help in the future.

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
repherb,

If you're positive the partitions are the same, I'll go ahead and give the steps for creating the images so that LiViD or anyone with a Optimus can help:

Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/firmware.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27 of=/sdcard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 of=/sdcard/baseband.img

Then get them off your sdcard. I actually don't know how to do this using adb commands lol, but I think you just do an adb pull for each of the filenames?

So assuming the partition layout is exactly the same (I'm still kinda hoping to get the output of the file I requested before), anyone with an Optimus 4G LTE can help you out.

In the meantime, repherb, you could try flashing the AT&T images as an experiment. I have a hunch your phone would work pretty much exactly as a Nitro would :)

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
Might want to edit that post to say "anyone with a Bell optimus lte 4g"

<GRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRINDGRIND> already flashing them now, will let you know in a bit what the outcome is. I hope they are the same base partition layout, because that would be pretty cool!!

Last edited:

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
I can assure you they most definitely aren't the "same" (at least the system one). They could be close enough to actually function properly, though. I'm really intrigued to hear the results :)

aquariuz23

Mar 3, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Sorry, jumped in this thread really late. So I'm assuming an AT&T P930 will not work with Repherb's Bell Optimus LTE, or will it work? If it will work, I can try to help the best I can. Just let me know what to do.

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
i am in the process of sending the Nitro HD system.img and firmware.img image files from gordec's post here to my Bell Optimus LTE 4G after trying <successfully!> to recover my P930 to the SU640 .kdz ROM image but having FC's and other issues... Anyone else get that sneaky feeling i am a Guinea Pig??? :D

Last edited:

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
5??? i can only find 3!!! unless i am blind, senile and anal retentive... :D

@aquariuz23: Pray, just pray!

Oh, i can confirm that the SU640 ROM _does_ achieve LTE access to Bell's LTE Network

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CONFIRMED: Bell Optimus LTE 4G _CAN_ take any firmware. Unit recognizes 4G LTE stock from the Nitro firmware. Only Bell APN changes needed!!!!! Nitro _IS_ the Bell unit software, everything matches right down to the kernel. NO NEED TO FLASH THE BASEBAND!!!! All 4 other partitions can be flashed safely!

Here's the Bell APN Settings if anyone needs them:

Name: Bell
    APN: pda.bell.ca
    Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    Port: 80
    Username: <Not set>
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
    MMSC proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 610
    APN type : <Not set>
    Pretty much what I figured would be the case :)

So now I guess we just need the system.img from a stock Optimus 4G LTE and then you'd be truly back to stock.
    Looks like that is the case. I'll definitely update my tutorial as soon as somebody uploads a vanilla Optimus rom (with SuperUser already installed, of course). Thanks for testing the method out! Nobody should have to return a bricked phone anymore now :)
    I have a stock optimus rom with su. Can dump it with in 48 hrs

Sent from my LG-P930
    repherb, did you try that optimus rom at all? Any major differences in the nitro vs optimus rom? regarding preinstalled carrier apps.

Does carrier IQ come installed with the ATT rom? I know its not installed with the Optimus ROM