Bell Optimus 4G LTE Adventures

Search This thread

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
i did, but i have found that the baseband requires no changes, and i will add the other 2. hang onto your hats folks

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
CONFIRMED: Bell Optimus LTE 4G _CAN_ take any firmware. Unit recognizes 4G LTE stock from the Nitro firmware. Only Bell APN changes needed!!!!! Nitro _IS_ the Bell unit software, everything matches right down to the kernel. NO NEED TO FLASH THE BASEBAND!!!! All 4 other partitions can be flashed safely!

Here's the Bell APN Settings if anyone needs them:

Name: Bell
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
Port: 80
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
MMSC proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 610
APN type : <Not set>

Last edited:

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
Pretty much what I figured would be the case :)

So now I guess we just need the system.img from a stock Optimus 4G LTE and then you'd be truly back to stock.

Reactions: repherb

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
yup, but i would say this was an important step in the right direction, true? Being a Guinea Pig paid off IMHO, and i hope others agree with me on this:

We now know the Bell unit having only 2GB of internal storage, is NO DIFFERENT than any other P930's. Aside from FM radio's and TV tuners etc, the firmware is pretty much universal???

And, i must say, after trying all the ROMS i have flashed, this Nitro ROM is quite fast!

Last edited:

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
Looks like that is the case. I'll definitely update my tutorial as soon as somebody uploads a vanilla Optimus rom (with SuperUser already installed, of course). Thanks for testing the method out! Nobody should have to return a bricked phone anymore now :)

Reactions: aquariuz23

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
I have the ROM posting thread already up, i will update my ROMs/Images to help this out.

You are right, there should be no excuse anymore for bricked units at all.

As they said in the TV Show "The A Team", I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!!!

Thanks to everyone for this important thread. You all helped me out, and by proxy, have helped out EVERYONE that has bricked their phones. We all worked together and achieved a major goal: the confirmed unbricking of ANY P930!!!

keenz

Jan 2, 2008
Edmonton
repherb, did you try that optimus rom at all? Any major differences in the nitro vs optimus rom? regarding preinstalled carrier apps.

Does carrier IQ come installed with the ATT rom? I know its not installed with the Optimus ROM

Reactions: Malnilion

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
keenz,

That's really interesting to know. The nitro rom does have CIQ. That might be a decent justification for switching to the bell rom on my nitro because I'm not using the AT&T apps anyway.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda premium

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
I just redid the phone and i am sad to say keenz that your images are corrupt. the launcher is gone and the setup wizard at reboot gives a FC. maybe we could try again??

Pre-installed apps are kept to a minimum with the Bell ROM, only 2 bell apps (self-serve and remote pvr controller)

CIQ _is_ installed on the Bell Optimus LTE ROM, but has been neutered compared to the Nitro ROM version of CIQ.

Last edited:

keenz

Jan 2, 2008
Edmonton
Repherb,
I was unaware. I was going by this article. "Bell stated in an email that “Bell doesn’t install or support Carrier IQ or similar programs. You may want to connect with the device manufacturers for the industry-wide perspective”. -- my bad. I didn't read slowly. It does appear that it;s not running on my phone though.

I've updated the Stock Roms post

Last edited:

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
repherb,

This is probably a stupid question, but did you do a Factory Reset after you flashed the Bell image? The other thing is I'm not sure the only image you'll need from it is the System (like I don't know if the Bell system.img will work with our Nitro images). I was thinking the boot image would probably be necessary as well, but it sounds like you booted just fine, but you didn't have a launcher...

I dunno, I was just curious if there might be a reason for the problem other than a corrupt image.

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
@Keenz: no worries mate, it's all good! I personally don't care about CIQ, just hate the whole "Big Brother watching us" stigma.

@Malnilion: flashed all 4 partitions (baseband was not needed as you know) and yes did a hard reset. it still looks like the system.img needs to be redone. I am quite sure there is a reason for it, but the system.img contains and controls com.lge.launcher2 and com.lge.setupwizard which is why i am leaning towards the image being corrupt. it's all good mate! :)

gte460z

Nov 18, 2010
Boston
Keenz, are you sure you didn't freeze the stock launcher and the setup wizard before you pulled the images off the phone?

Reactions: keenz

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
So buddy, are you saying you reposted the images with everything unfrozen now? If so, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to download i go!!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CONFIRMED: Bell Optimus LTE 4G _CAN_ take any firmware. Unit recognizes 4G LTE stock from the Nitro firmware. Only Bell APN changes needed!!!!! Nitro _IS_ the Bell unit software, everything matches right down to the kernel. NO NEED TO FLASH THE BASEBAND!!!! All 4 other partitions can be flashed safely!

Here's the Bell APN Settings if anyone needs them:

Name: Bell
    APN: pda.bell.ca
    Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    Port: 80
    Username: <Not set>
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
    MMSC proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 610
    APN type : <Not set>
    Pretty much what I figured would be the case :)

So now I guess we just need the system.img from a stock Optimus 4G LTE and then you'd be truly back to stock.
    Looks like that is the case. I'll definitely update my tutorial as soon as somebody uploads a vanilla Optimus rom (with SuperUser already installed, of course). Thanks for testing the method out! Nobody should have to return a bricked phone anymore now :)
    I have a stock optimus rom with su. Can dump it with in 48 hrs

Sent from my LG-P930
    repherb, did you try that optimus rom at all? Any major differences in the nitro vs optimus rom? regarding preinstalled carrier apps.

Does carrier IQ come installed with the ATT rom? I know its not installed with the Optimus ROM