Best Android non-PDF Reader Apps for NST

Search This thread

richardcoop

Jan 13, 2014
I've been making my own Nook reader which works on other devices too.

I think that it has better page turns than the stock reader, which is surprising.

]

I love the page turns and the lack of page flashing! I've been using it.

One downside I noticed; The screen tends to look dirty after reading many pages. (see picture)
Scan10019.jpg

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
Forgot to say that my uploaded AlReader xml settings file uses my current font APhont which I installed. If not installing my attached fonts which inCludes that font, goto settings for each profile (night & day) and choose the main font type for TEXT (top one) to whatever you like. Most of the rest (cite, etc) of the font types are set to follow that font setting.

Also the filenames for the screen captures in my last post tell you which font is used for each one.

Last edited:

richardcoop

Jan 13, 2014
Wow, I've never seen anything half as dirty.
I read quite a bit and have never seen that.
How many pages do you estimate before it gets like that?

I would say that shot was about after about 20-25 or so pages.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Well, that's the reason for screen refreshing sometimes :laugh:

I tested the latest nook glo-lite at the B&N store. The reader in it went many pages without flash and there was no dirty buildup on the screen like I saw.

Could there be a change in the basic elink screen technology eliminating a need for flashing?

Last edited:

maninthearena

May 12, 2014
Does anybody else have a problem with Alreader not displaying italic and bold text ?

I love the way Alreader handles footnotes, but it ignores italicized and bold text -which Coolreader, Fbreader and Renate's reader all notice and display properly. I thought it might have been the settings, but I tried all the relevant settings and changed fonts around to no avail.
It seems like the reader is not registering the html that indicates italic text, strings such as "<blockquote class="calibre60"><span class="italic">" get completely ignored.

I tested the latest nook glo-lite at the B&N store. The reader in it went many pages without flash and there was no dirty buildup on the screen like I saw.

Could there be a change in the basic elink screen technology eliminating a need for flashing?
Perhaps, the backlight makes the ghosting less visible, similar to how raising the backlight on your TV reduces the screen's reflectivity/glare.

Last edited:

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
As I said yesterday I tested then changed italics for cite to bold, both are displayed, bold can be seen in screen captures. Italics & contour are on second page in settings for each text category.

skyli91

Jan 28, 2009
Okay, I've tried out AIReader but my preferred reader is still Coolreader :) It has more and better settings for me

Reactions: wozhere

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
This conversation has gotten way off topic and should be moved to it's own thread. As I posted in another thread, you are comparing apples to oranges, the new Glo Light has a next generation display compared to our device.
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

geopapa

Aug 28, 2011
Okay, I've tried out AIReader but my preferred reader is still Coolreader :) It has more and better settings for me

I 'm currently trying coolreader and find it very nice and fast and easy to use but like with alreader I cannot control screen refresh (with alreader I finally made it work..) It refreshes every page with both fast and fast2 modes... Is there any "trick" I must try?
Thanks in advance

skyli91

Jan 28, 2009
I 'm currently trying coolreader and find it very nice and fast and easy to use but like with alreader I cannot control screen refresh (with alreader I finally made it work..) It refreshes every page with both fast and fast2 modes... Is there any "trick" I must try?
Thanks in advance

Uh. I thought those settings are working but they are not working for mee too. Anyway, I always like full refresh on every page. Text is much sharper and clearer. I can see the difference between a single "no refresh" page turn and "with refresh". The outlines of the text is sharper and without the artifacts from the previous page. Cool Reader refreshes except when you are between 5 seconds. I thought it is able to change but it looks like it's buggy. Maybe we can report it and they fix it.

There is a non working setting for Full screen update interval.

Reactions: wozhere and geopapa
May 6, 2014
Can somebody guide me how to export my highlights in AlReader to my Computer ?

I am a student and I want my notes and text highlights may be for next 5 years.So I think saving my book with their highlights to my pc will be the best action.
But I couldn't find a way.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that emailing the book can save it to the pc with embedded highlights.

Please somebody guide me to this direction.

Best Regards

May 6, 2014
To transfer files between Android devices and computers, fast & easy total wifi networking:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49401490&postcount=2

Thank you for the reply

But my problem is I want to export the epub/mobi book and its highlight to view on my pc.I know that I can copy the files in my Sd card directly to my pc.(Alreader backup)

What I want is get my books and their highlights to view on my pc using readers like Adobe Digital Edition or Calibra reader.I can see a file called ( .mrk) is created as highlight file on my sd card:confused:

Please direct me to get this done not just file transfer.

BTW Ranate NST has created an simple app to transfer files from Nook

Best Regard

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
Thank you for the reply

But my problem is I want to export the epub/mobi book and its highlight to view on my pc.I know that I can copy the files in my Sd card directly to my pc.(Alreader backup)

What I want is get my books and their highlights to view on my pc using readers like Adobe Digital Edition or Calibra reader.I can see a file called ( .mrk) is created as highlight file on my sd card:confused:

Please direct me to get this done not just file transfer.

BTW Ranate NST has created an simple app to transfer files from Nook

Best Regard

Right, I'm not sure Adobe Digital Edition or Calibra reader will pick up the settings. Your files particulars are in:
system files section (not SD Card), which you can browse with Total Commander file manager or others like Root explorer app in:
File system root/data/data/com.neverland.alreader/databases

They could be in various formats, db xml etc. Have a look and test them with Windows readers and db readers to check.

Also try their forum which seems to be down at the moment, might have to use google Russian translation though.
http://www.alreader.com/?lang=en

May 6, 2014
Right, I'm not sure Adobe Digital Edition or Calibra reader will pick up the settings. Your files particulars are in:
system files section (not SD Card), which you can browse with Total Commander file manager or others like Root explorer app in:

They could be in various formats, db xml etc. Have a look and test them with Windows readers and db readers to check.

Also try their forum which seems to be down at the moment, might have to use google Russian translation though.

Thank you

I am using the Alreader for eink verson from here("ht tp://4pda.ru/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t340035.html") and the app create backup and cite (.tex) / highlight (.mrk) files in the book directory on my sd card.The cites are in text file.But highlights are not readable.

I really like the Mentano Reder method of exporting to Adobe DE .But Mentano is not as user friendly as AlRader.I wish there are app that can be used in both pc and tablets.:(

Meanwhile I will look into the forume and any other method like Alreader for Pc version

Best Regards Keep up the good work

darkic

Feb 16, 2009
Gornji Milanovac

Thank you

I am using the Alreader for eink verson from here("ht tp://4pda.ru/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t340035.html") and the app create backup and cite (.tex) / highlight (.mrk) files in the book directory on my sd card.The cites are in text file.But highlights are not readable.

I really like the Mentano Reder method of exporting to Adobe DE .But Mentano is not as user friendly as AlRader.I wish there are app that can be used in both pc and tablets.:(

Meanwhile I will look into the forume and any other method like Alreader for Pc version

Best Regards Keep up the good work

Yes, there is AlReader for PC either, but I don't know about syncing between them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FBReader for NST

We released FBReader "special edition" for NST today. It supports NST keys and NST screen fast update. I cannot post url's here (I have < 10 messages on the forum), just look for the latest (12th of Jan 2014) news on the fbreader.org site.
    Thanks in advance

Uh. I thought those settings are working but they are not working for mee too. Anyway, I always like full refresh on every page. Text is much sharper and clearer. I can see the difference between a single "no refresh" page turn and "with refresh". The outlines of the text is sharper and without the artifacts from the previous page. Cool Reader refreshes except when you are between 5 seconds. I thought it is able to change but it looks like it's buggy. Maybe we can report it and they fix it.

There is a non working setting for Full screen update interval.
    On the Alreader forum, if you scroll down a bit on the first post, you'll see an Eink specific version of Alreader. Perhaps this will solve your problem: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=340035
    I've been making my own Nook reader which works on other devices too.
    Right now it's more a proof of principle.
    Still, it's good enough now that it's my only reader.
    It's missing a lot of features still, but it has:

Portrait/Landscape/Auto modes
    Epub variable font sizes, variable line spacing, variable margins.
    Pdf variable overscan.
    Can read library books.
    Progress stripe at the bottom.

I think that it has better page turns than the stock reader, which is surprising.

Edit: Follow the thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2728769
    There is a patch for better font sizes, see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43393044&highlight=nook121patch+zip#post43393044
    You need to apktool d, mergesmali, apktool b and jarsigner.
    Depending on your needs and how you do things you may need to resign your Nook's system.
    There is stuff about resigning in the rest of that thread.