• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Best Buy Unlocked Nexus 6

Search This thread

gruppe3942

Mar 5, 2009
Hey everyone,

I know there was some confusion to this question only because I could not find any straight answers myself. But I can assure you that an unlocked nexus 6 from best buy will activate on Sprints Network without any issues.

Only thing I had to do was go to my local sprint store and ask for a nano Sim card. Took it home and placed it in my nexus 6. Went online to activate phone. Punched in the IMIE number leaving off the last digit and entered in the Sim number. Worked like a charm!

Reactions: GeneticJim

GeneticJim

Jan 2, 2011
Hey everyone,

I know there was some confusion to this question only because I could not find any straight answers myself. But I can assure you that an unlocked nexus 6 from best buy will activate on Sprints Network without any issues.

Only thing I had to do was go to my local sprint store and ask for a nano Sim card. Took it home and placed it in my nexus 6. Went online to activate phone. Punched in the IMIE number leaving off the last digit and entered in the Sim number. Worked like a charm!
+1 for me also piece of cake getting it activated in store also

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
there's no confusion actually, everyone knows that all US bought n6 are exactly the same, and that putting a sprint sim in it will make it work on sprint. if you want to, you can put a tmobile or att or Verizon sim in it to make it work on those providers.

Reactions: popper668

gruppe3942

Mar 5, 2009
there's no confusion actually, everyone knows that all US bought n6 are exactly the same, and that putting a sprint sim in it will make it work on sprint. if you want to, you can put a tmobile or att or Verizon sim in it to make it work on those providers.
Well, if you go to the best buy website. They even say that the phone doesn't work on CDMA phones such as sprint and Verizon. I also found a lot of sites that said the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Well, if you go to the best buy website. They even say that the phone doesn't work on CDMA phones such as sprint and Verizon. I also found a lot of sites that said the same thing.

both sprint and verizon sell it as well, they both have working lte. with volte working in the n6 and Verizon as well.

A2CKilla

Feb 22, 2011

Bestbuy never updates their website, it's wrong....
90% of the time, and the sites you're seeing this on are wrong...just wrong, just listen to Google and knowledgeable forum members about how the phone works and no one else

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Ocelot13

Jun 26, 2010
I guess my play store n6 has been lying to me since winter every time its worked on Verizon... Long before Verizon even carried it. Works on every carrier. Granted...vzw put it on the lost stolen blacklist when I was swapping between vzw and a prepaid at&t card at work..but they fixed it.

sulla65

Feb 11, 2012
Technically the best buy website is correct. You can't buy an unlocked nexus 6 from best buy and simply activate it on Verizon like you would a normal Verizon branded phone. However the Nexus 6 itself IS capable of running on a CDMA network and will work on Verizon and Sprint. The trick is that you already needed to have an active line on Verizon, then its just a simple matter of putting the active nano sim into your nexus 6..

A2CKilla

Feb 22, 2011
Technically the best buy website is correct. You can't buy an unlocked nexus 6 from best buy and simply activate it on Verizon like you would a normal Verizon branded phone. However the Nexus 6 itself IS capable of running on a CDMA network and will work on Verizon and Sprint. The trick is that you already needed to have an active line on Verizon, then its just a simple matter of putting the active nano sim into your nexus 6..

The nexus 6 is unlocked, you CAN simply buy it and activate it on Verizon like you would any other Verizon phone, please, look around the forums before telling them wrong info. If I really wanted to i could take my Nexus 6, originally purchased at Bestbuy for "sprint" and go to any carrier I please without having to jump through any hoops. Verizon will activate it and it'll show up as a "non Verizon" nexus 6 on the account or I can just grab any GSM carrier sim and go to town.

G

GuestK0087

The AT&T version is the only one sim locked out of the big 4. Rogers in Canada is locked too, I believe.

sulla65

Feb 11, 2012
The nexus 6 is unlocked, you CAN simply buy it and activate it on Verizon like you would any other Verizon phone, please, look around the forums before telling them wrong info. If I really wanted to i could take my Nexus 6, originally purchased at Bestbuy for "sprint" and go to any carrier I please without having to jump through any hoops. Verizon will activate it and it'll show up as a "non Verizon" nexus 6 on the account or I can just grab any GSM carrier sim and go to town.

Umm, you understand that only Verizon Nexus 6's can activated normally. That's why they sell Verizon "branded" nexus 6's. Again I said the nexus 6 purchased from Besy Buy will work, But walk into a Verizon store with a non Verizon branded phones and you will have to jump thorough some hoops to get it activated. Unless something has changed recently that is.

Schoat333

Sep 3, 2010
NE Ohio
I went to a best buy to buy one. It said they had it in stock online. I called and got a recording saying check online for stock information. This Best buy is an hour drive, so I waited until I could actually talk to a person at the store. Asked them to verify they had it in stock. The guy says yep we have it.

I drive an hour, stand there for 20 minutes while the guy that told me he has it tries to find it. Apparently he never actually looked. He then proceeds to tell me that they have been having issues with the Nexus 6 stock in their system.

Yep, I was pissed.

A2CKilla

Feb 22, 2011
Umm, you understand that only Verizon Nexus 6's can activated normally. That's why they sell Verizon "branded" nexus 6's. Again I said the nexus 6 purchased from Besy Buy will work, But walk into a Verizon store with a non Verizon branded phones and you will have to jump thorough some hoops to get it activated. Unless something has changed recently that is.

There is no "Verizon" nexus 6, just the nexus 6, the only thing Verizon about it is the sim card. It's already been talked about in the Verizon fcc thread made a while back. The nexus 6 is the only special case phone that you don't have to do anything special because Google made it so carriers accept them. Verizon just likes to mess everything up, but obviously the people weren't having it.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

I went to a best buy to buy one. It said they had it in stock online. I called and got a recording saying check online for stock information. This Best buy is an hour drive, so I waited until I could actually talk to a person at the store. Asked them to verify they had it in stock. The guy says yep we have it.

I drive an hour, stand there for 20 minutes while the guy that told me he has it tries to find it. Apparently he never actually looked. He then proceeds to tell me that they have been having issues with the Nexus 6 stock in their system.

Yep, I was pissed.

Similar situation when I got mine, was an hour away and I called them because it showed in stock online order only, and I had them on the phone as I placed the order

Doctor Dedroid

Dec 15, 2010
I am hoping to get a best-buy nexus 6 and use it on VZW... the only problem is, the drones at the Corporate store tell me they won't activate a nano sim for me on one of their phones. The issue for me is I have a galaxy nexus with a micro sim.... soooooo... does anyone know I can activate it this way:

1) I get a nano to micro adapter and put a new vzw nano sim in it...
2) put the nano+micro adapter in to my GNex....
3) have them activate the sim via my gnex and then take the nano and put it into the n6

Is there anything that would prevent this from working??

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
When I got my dev edition moto x, I took the nano sim to a vzw store and said I need a sim activated. They asked if I had the phone motioning to take it... I just said I do have a phone, but I don't need any help with it, I simply need the some card activated to my account. They had no problems. Just don't be sketchy or an asshole. You can have just a sim activated.

At least in the past if you have an extra line you can do it over the phone too, you just give them account Info and the code from your new sim and they activate it for you.

Though I guess if you own a nexus 6 and are coming to verizon? I doubt they are sending you to a competitor if you state you have a phone and simply want a sim.

Last edited:
Reactions: popper668

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

When I got my dev edition moto x, I took the nano sim to a vzw store and said I need a sim activated. They asked if I had the phone motioning to take it... I just said I do have a phone, but I don't need any help with it, I simply need the some card activated to my account. They had no problems. Just don't be sketchy or an asshole. You can have just a sim activated.

At least in the past if you have an extra line you can do it over the phone too, you just give them account Info and the code from your new sim and they activate it for you.

Though I guess if you own a nexus 6 and are coming to verizon? I doubt they are sending you to a competitor if you state you have a phone and simply want a sim.