• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Best custom rom

Search This thread

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
Sadly nope, gestures only works with Xiaomi's launcher (either poco launcher if you are using an stable official rom or milauncher if you are using anything else).

I wish we have the possibility to AT LEAST use custom icon packs (like with poco launcher) on the mi launcher, but meh, we'll have to live with this. =/
Gestures work properly on any ROM. I made a tread just because i saw a lot of people saying the same "gestures don't.work....." crap. They work fine as long as you install Magisk and Nav Remover Module.
the tread in in the guide section

• Sad
Reactions: Noe367

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
For MIUI roms i always go to EU rom, but anyways with this Poco F3 the best rom out there it's Arrow OS, fast, continous updates with his own updater, necessary customization, and this last update is something really good. Flash and forget anything.
As Calamaros said best ROM is a matter of subjective preference. I also tried for at least one day in this order Xiaomi EU, Pixel Experience, OneOs, Syberia, Arrow, Havoc, Crdroid, EvolutionX, Lineage. In the end the winner for me was ArrowOs because is really, really fast, NFC, banking and Netflix (L1certification) works, not as customisable as HavocOs, Crdroid and EvolutionX but not lacking either, and the battery seems to last the longest. I don't game but I do Netflix, HBO and Emby alot and I get 7-9 hours screen time of 1080 playback at 50-60% luminosity on Data and Bluetooth (AptX HD). Animations are set at 0.5x and unnecessary boot apps disabled. If it helps someone...

Last edited:

Barracuda77777

Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
So I.managed to build Aosp Extended, based on Lineage build trees, any fans of the ROM? Been couple days, have not come across any issues, only the battery drain while AOD is activated like all the custom ROMs ATM.
Screenshot_20210916-083058_Quickstep.png

Hani K.

Mar 19, 2015
Germany
So I.managed to build Aosp Extended, based on Lineage build trees, any fans of the ROM? Been couple days, have not come across any issues, only the battery drain while AOD is activated like all the custom ROMs ATM.View attachment 5410817

Looks good, I haven’t gotten my device yet but thinking of getting one soon and doing some development.

Did you try Quantic kernel to lower AOD drain?

Barracuda77777

Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Looks good, I haven’t gotten my device yet but thinking of getting one soon and doing some development.

Did you try Quantic kernel to lower AOD drain?
Yes I did, I did have a device tree that AOD worked flawlessly, but now sadly pinch to zoom stopped in emails, gallery and some other apps, I reverted so many commits until after two weeks I gave up and migrated to Lineage, it's not the kernel, it is something at the device tree level, I suspect Qcom changed something that screwed my tree.
any ways, I am very happy with lineage tree, I am sure it will be fixed at some stage.

AKASHPAUL

Jun 11, 2016
As Calamaros said best ROM is a matter of subjective preference. I also tried for at least one day in this order Xiaomi EU, OneOs, Syberia, Arrow, Havoc, Crdroid, EvolutionX, Lineage. In the end the winner for me was ArrowOs because is really, really fast, NFC, banking and Netflix (L1certification) works, not as customisable as HavocOs, Crdroid and EvolutionX but not lacking either, and the battery seems to last the longest. I don't game but I do Netflix, HBO and Emby alot and I get 7-9 hours screen time of 1080 playback at 50-60% luminosity on Data and Bluetooth (AptX HD). Animations are set at 0.5x and unnecessary boot apps disabled. If it helps someone...
What is lacking in Havoc/CrDroid/EvolutionX ? I mean what made you switch back to arrow os ? banking apps worked in Havoc/CrDroid/EvolutionX . Could you please explain with some pros and cons in detail ?
Thanks In Advance :)

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
What is lacking in Havoc/CrDroid/EvolutionX ? I mean what made you switch back to arrow os ? banking apps worked in Havoc/CrDroid/EvolutionX . Could you please explain with some pros and cons in detail ?
I had no issues with banking apps in either of the ROMs. Basically they are mostly the same. Havoc/CrDroid/EvolutionX have more customisation possibilities and are a delight to play with.
But the three main reasons I stick with Arrow OS are Double Tap to Wake that works, Viper4Android that works without any issues (like not processing sometimes), and because it boots in around 10 seconds with Poco unlocked logo. From the Android logo to pin entering it takes 6-7 seconds. Battery consumption seems a little bit better in comparison with the three ROMs mentioned before. For the banking apps i use magisk hide. Google Pay works also, but only if your bank is compatible with GPay. I use Gestures and Nova Launcher and for hiding navigation buttons I use NavBar remover Magisk module ( i made a thread about hiding Nav buttons). I use MIUI Control Center to customize the Android Shade beyond any ROM could. I also use Acca app to limit charging to 90% only and shut down at 4% percent to protect the battery. The native SmartCharge function is no longer available in most ROMs.
Also Arrow has automatic updates, just like MIUI or Windows, and are frequent, at least one per week. That's about it, for anything else you need to ask specifically for ...

AKASHPAUL

Jun 11, 2016
I had no issues with banking apps in either of the ROMs. Basically they are mostly the same. Havoc/CrDroid/EvolutionX have more customisation possibilities and are a delight to play with.
But the three main reasons I stick with Arrow OS are Double Tap to Wake that works, Viper4Android that works without any issues (like not processing sometimes), and because it boots in around 10 seconds with Poco unlocked logo. From the Android logo to pin entering it takes 6-7 seconds. Battery consumption seems a little bit better in comparison with the three ROMs mentioned before. For the banking apps i use magisk hide. Google Pay works also, but only if your bank is compatible with GPay. I use Gestures and Nova Launcher and for hiding navigation buttons I use NavBar remover Magisk module ( i made a thread about hiding Nav buttons). I use MIUI Control Center to customize the Android Shade beyond any ROM could. I also use Acca app to limit charging to 90% only and shut down at 4% percent to protect the battery. The native SmartCharge function is no longer available in most ROMs.
Also Arrow has automatic updates, just like MIUI or Windows, and are frequent, at least one per week. That's about it, for anything else you need to ask specifically for ...
Thank you for explaining everything in detail. Cheers ❤️
I am facing 2 issues after 2 days of usage (arrow 14th sept build)
1. Usb file transfer/ptp nothing works . Only charging works .
2. Audio sometimes get muted for few seconds when playing Facebook videos. .

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
Thank you for explaining everything in detail. Cheers ❤️
I am facing 2 issues after 2 days of usage (arrow 14th sept build)
1. Usb file transfer/ptp nothing works . Only charging works .
2. Audio sometimes get muted for few seconds when playing Facebook videos. .
1. About USB transfers. Even if you don't get a pop-up you should be able to see a notification in the notification center(shade) about USB connection, where it should let you select File Transfer option. Or better, go to developer options, select preferred USB connection settings and set it default to file transfer. Therefore every time you connect your phone to a PC it will enter into file transfer mode.
2. I also noticed that Facebook WhatsApp and Reddit videos play sound over other apps like YouTube or a player resulting into having two audio streams playing simultaniously. Only as no app is in fullscreen.
The only time I truly experienced an audio issue it was when an alarm is ringing while YouTube is running in the background. YouTube sound is sometimes muting for about 2 seconds and coming back for another couple of seconds and so on. The issue stopped the moment I turned of the alarm off. I work in shifts and i use AMdroid app. I set my alarms 5 years ago and i forget about it unless my shift changes or I go into holidays. Even If I change my ROMs all alarms are automatically restored. The app is set to ring at max levels even if the screen is on on or any sound is playing. I mentioned this because I am not sure if my situation is applicable in other situations or on inbuilt alarm setting.
I have no other advice to give you about sound issues you experience, that was my only weird manifestation sound related i ever had, and i update Arrow every week, even today I did. Thankfully no issues so far. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.

AKASHPAUL

Jun 11, 2016
1. About USB transfers. Even if you don't get a pop-up you should be able to see a notification in the notification center(shade) about USB connection, where it should let you select File Transfer option. Or better, go to developer options, select preferred USB connection settings and set it default to file transfer. Therefore every time you connect your phone to a PC it will enter into file transfer mode.
2. I also noticed that Facebook WhatsApp and Reddit videos play sound over other apps like YouTube or a player resulting into having two audio streams playing simultaniously. Only as no app is in fullscreen.
The only time I truly experienced an audio issue it was when an alarm is ringing while YouTube is running in the background. YouTube sound is sometimes muting for about 2 seconds and coming back for another couple of seconds and so on. The issue stopped the moment I turned of the alarm off. I work in shifts and i use AMdroid app. I set my alarms 5 years ago and i forget about it unless my shift changes or I go into holidays. Even If I change my ROMs all alarms are automatically restored. The app is set to ring at max levels even if the screen is on on or any sound is playing. I mentioned this because I am not sure if my situation is applicable in other situations or on inbuilt alarm setting.
I have no other advice to give you about sound issues you experience, that was my only weird manifestation sound related i ever had, and i update Arrow every week, even today I did. Thankfully no issues so far. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.
1. My pc isn't recognising the device. That is the problem . But thanks . Also can't install magisk in any way (twrp recovery, app , sideload )
Also i am on September 14 and can't seem to download sept 25 build anyhow and unable to update
Besides that Arrow OS is amazing.

Zimmster

Jun 23, 2018
1. My pc isn't recognising the device. That is the problem . But thanks . Also can't install magisk in any way (twrp recovery, app , sideload )
Also i am on September 14 and can't seem to download sept 25 build anyhow and unable to update
Besides that Arrow OS is amazing.
Check into developer options if USB Debugging is on. It should be on in order for the PC to recognise your phone.
Try restarting both the PC and the phone and try again.
If nothing work try reinstall the whole os with the latest update

Arrow OS Update 2021-09-25

Device changelog:
- Fixed recording 4k video
- Fixed mic in some apps
- Fixed random crash audio services

Last edited:

AKASHPAUL

Jun 11, 2016
Check into developer options if USB Debugging is on. It should be on in order for the PC to recognise your phone.
Try restarting both the PC and the phone and try again.
If nothing work try reinstall the whole os with the latest update

Arrow OS Update 2021-09-25

Device changelog:
- Fixed recording 4k video
- Fixed mic in some apps
- Fixed random crash audio services
Arrow OS 25th sept now.
PTP is working only (mtp working in recovery only ) .
Twrp recovery (standard method).
Magisk -(working) :-
1. Extracted boot.img from payload . Patched through magisk and flashed from fastboot.

Pass it on if someone wants

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey here is a list of some custom roms for alioth, it's not mine but it could be useful :)

https://alioth.knecht.rocks/
    Moderator Announcement

Thread has been cleaned! I removed all post with links to Telegram or edited such posts. As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to provide references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to theses posts or their authors.
    Additionally, I removed requests for ROM's/OS that are not accepted on XDA e.g. due to their names if they violate tule no. 2 of the forum rules. It doesn't matter to which language it might relate but we've banned ROM's with sexually explicit language.
    Last but not least I've removed links outside of XDA that were used to share ROM's. As ROM's fall under GPLv2, a link to a ROM must be accompanied by a link to its kernel source.
    Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    Hey here is a list of some custom roms for alioth, it's not mine but it could be useful :)

https://alioth.knecht.rocks/
    I love you master this is the most effective post
    IDK, a rom from a page called "the90sguy" with literally 0 support and literally 0 facts as "proof" to really say that that rom is "THE BEST ROM NOW" is kinda... shady.

This is why we have new threads every week from people asking for "HELP" because they "bricked" their phone.
    Saying which rom is the best .. It is so subjective, because if you look closely, the vast majority of users will recommend and say that the rom they are using is the best.

Personally, on my previous mobile, I was using only miui, specifically the Xioami.EU and I was delighted.

But when I switched to Poco F3, I decided that even though I was happy with Miui, I wanted to make a change and try something else, hence I have been trying some roms (not all, because luckily, we have many to choose from).

Personally, I wanted them to work if not perfect, as well as possible, without apparent failures. That the performance is very good, that the battery behaves, but above all, that they provide you with a plus of personalization (extra adjustments and pops to put on the mobile).

So I tried:

- ArrowOS -> Quite happy, everything was going well and with some customization touches, I recommend trying it if you are looking for that and I think that it also updates from its own updater, in case you do not want to always carry the TWRP in tow.

- Hentai OS -> I don't like it at all, due to its null customization. I have also tried it 2 times, due to the good opinions that I have always read when they talk about it and to see if after a few weeks, it had improved in that aspect, but nothing, no matter how good they say it is, I don't like it at all nor does it give me that extra that I am looking for, so it is not a rom for me. Now, if you are looking for an experience as similar to a Pixel and as I mentioned, with zero customization, this may be your rom.

- Evolution X -> I tried the first version and it didn't really look bad. What happens, I think that the issue of updates is somewhat stopped and they have not released many since then, but I'm not sure about it either.

- LineageOS -> What to say about a mythical rom. I tried the first version and everything was going so well, that it is already a joy. I think this rom is also updated directly from its own updater, if you keep the TWRP they recommend for installation. It works in general lines very well, you have the security of the great community behind it and that it will be constantly updated and it also has its personalization touches, therefore, another recommended test.

- crDroid -> For me, for the use that I give to the mobile and what I was looking for as I said at the beginning, to this day, the "best" rom that I have tried by far. Everything works really well, it has customization options to give and sell, which I have not seen in other AOSP roms (as you will see, those based on miui I have not bothered to try any rom, because I wanted a change of miui after so many years being only true to miui). Above is constantly being updated with performance improvements and new customization options. And in addition, the developer / group of developers are very active and answer any questions that may arise, either in the rom thread or in the channel that is dedicated to the rom and our mobile in particular, the Poco F3, on Telegram.

This is broadly speaking, my totally subjective opinion, that there will be someone who may agree with me and surely many others, who do not agree.

But asserting that such a rom is better than the rest, just because it is the one you use, without giving any weighty argumentation, does not make much sense, because it can lead to mistakes, for someone who has no idea about roms.

The best thing is to know what you want and based on it, try different roms for several days each, in order to form a strong opinion and with arguments.

Sorry for the brick.​
    I got GCAM work on Arrow without any problem. Selfies & video quality is superior to the stock.
    Try MGC with IronHrt xml

The IronHrt XML for gcam.

The Gcam MGC APK.

To make life easier :)
    Currenly, Arrow and Syberia are the best to me. I've flashed every rom many times as I have an extra Poco to play with. The runners up for me are crDroid and AICP. If you use the Always On Display you won't get great battery life on any of the ROMs. One of my pet peeves is if the rom doesn't have something so simple like a clear all button at the bottom in recents and an option to only show the battery percentage in the statusbar then it's a failure.
    For MIUI roms i always go to EU rom, but anyways with this Poco F3 the best rom out there it's Arrow OS, fast, continous updates with his own updater, necessary customization, and this last update is something really good. Flash and forget anything.
    As Calamaros said best ROM is a matter of subjective preference. I also tried for at least one day in this order Xiaomi EU, Pixel Experience, OneOs, Syberia, Arrow, Havoc, Crdroid, EvolutionX, Lineage. In the end the winner for me was ArrowOs because is really, really fast, NFC, banking and Netflix (L1certification) works, not as customisable as HavocOs, Crdroid and EvolutionX but not lacking either, and the battery seems to last the longest. I don't game but I do Netflix, HBO and Emby alot and I get 7-9 hours screen time of 1080 playback at 50-60% luminosity on Data and Bluetooth (AptX HD). Animations are set at 0.5x and unnecessary boot apps disabled. If it helps someone...
    Great news, Official Lineage is on the way :)