Question Best custom rom

Search This thread

Noe367

Jul 25, 2016
France
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Honor 5X
I'm having the same "issue" as the OP, currently i'm on LineageOS and everything runs just fine but i want to try something else, i just don't know which one to pick. I know "best" is subjective but i'm still curious.

Also, which gapps would you guys suggest, i only use gmail, maps, fit and the store.
Honestly, for AOSP, there are so many options. But if you don't mind having not much customization, I would go with arrowos : constant update, and stable. But other ROMs maybe better (most likely), depending on what you want and need.

RS156

Oct 24, 2018
Just asking the question again.
Currently are there any other roms available that have all the features in the stock rom? From what I have been reading most of the aosp roms have more battery drain, lower brightness, lower camera ( but can be improved by gcam), and worse sound.
Are there any roms available that give as much features as current stock rom as of today?

I personally feel for a normal user, it is better to wait and just use debloated stock MIUI. Many people tell they hate MIUI, but what they really hate are all those notification ads and that battery drain. With simple debloat the battery improves by around 20 - 30% and you retain all the features. You don't risk soft bricking your phone and keep your bootloader locked until there are custom roms better than current debloated stock MIUI.

motbot

Oct 16, 2021
Currently are there any other roms available that have all the features in the stock rom? From what I have been reading most of the aosp roms have more battery drain, lower brightness, lower camera ( but can be improved by gcam), and worse sound.
Are there any roms available that give as much features as current stock rom as of today?

I personally feel for a normal user, it is better to wait and just use debloated stock MIUI. Many people tell they hate MIUI, but what they really hate are all those notification ads and that battery drain. With simple debloat the battery improves by around 20 - 30% and you retain all the features. You don't risk soft bricking your phone and keep your bootloader locked until there are custom roms better than current debloated stock MIUI.
have you heard of Miui ROMs?

Noe367

Jul 25, 2016
France
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Honor 5X
Yes. They are good but personally I would not risk rooting and unlocking bootloader just for slightly better MIUI experience.

Honestly, in my opinion, I could never go back to MIUI, even with all the "features" that it offers. AOSP ROMs, are, to me, the best options, nearly everything is perfect You just have to find the one you want

alb3rtt

Mar 28, 2011
Melbourne
Looking to switch to a POCO F3 as my daily driver (from Samsung A71).

Any recommendations for a clean and stable custom ROM?

To give you some context, I have kept my A71 on the stock rom since it's pretty clean and works well!

I don't want to deal with minor bugs/inconveniences on my daily driver, it should "just work" without workarounds required or resets/bugs.

I don't care about rooting or a crazy number of features - just want something stable.

I have read that AOSP based roms make the fingerprint scanner work poor, decrease screen quality/brightness, decrease vibration quality etc.

Given this criteria, I am leaning towards Xiaomi.eu as it will maintain the good camera quality and other nice features of MIUI without the bloat/ads/privacy issues, which is my main complaint with the stock rom.

Are there any AOSP based (or MIUI based) roms that do not have these drawbacks?

fadedave

Jun 14, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
Looking to switch to a POCO F3 as my daily driver (from Samsung A71).

Any recommendations for a clean and stable custom ROM?

To give you some context, I have kept my A71 on the stock rom since it's pretty clean and works well!

I don't want to deal with minor bugs/inconveniences on my daily driver, it should "just work" without workarounds required or resets/bugs.

I don't care about rooting or a crazy number of features - just want something stable.

I have read that AOSP based roms make the fingerprint scanner work poor, decrease screen quality/brightness, decrease vibration quality etc.

Given this criteria, I am leaning towards Xiaomi.eu as it will maintain the good camera quality and other nice features of MIUI without the bloat/ads/privacy issues, which is my main complaint with the stock rom.

Are there any AOSP based (or MIUI based) roms that do not have these drawbacks?
The only problem with aosp based roms is the battery life imo, but everything else works great. You can install ANXcamera for good camera quality (it is the miui camera ported). I recommend ArrowOS if you need simplicity, and crDroid if you need a lot of customization options (I mean a LOT).

Reactions: alb3rtt and Noe367

alb3rtt

Mar 28, 2011
Melbourne
The only problem with aosp based roms is the battery life imo, but everything else works great. You can install ANXcamera for good camera quality (it is the miui camera ported). I recommend ArrowOS if you need simplicity, and crDroid if you need a lot of customization options (I mean a LOT).
Battery life as in, it's worse than MIUI?

Anyways, thank you for the information! Will check them out :)

Prototype18

Sep 22, 2012
London
Xiaomi Poco F3
Yeah, miui has a lot of battery optimizations (kills apps quickly, etc.).
Ive seen some AOSP roms reports with less than 0.2% per hour battery drop and some people managed to get 0% overnight with custom kernels. I just applied for unlocking bootloader cuz i grew bored of MIUI stock battery life. Its so inconsistent that it irritates me. Ive had the pinacle of custom ROMs the nexus 5 and used to flash a rom every month till i settled. Now my options would be a MIUI based rom ( cuz its not that bad for me ) or a AOSP one for that close to vanilla feeling. I just want my phone to not drain battery while not in use, that being said no bugs would be great.

In this threads there are tons of people who have tried many custom ROMs but they dont seem to make up their mind lol.
Imagine me coming from a 5 year break from flashing ROMs how do i feel.

Also i would like to ask about the screen brightness. Is it fixed yet on AOSP ?

Reactions: Noe367

fadedave

Jun 14, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
Ive seen some AOSP roms reports with less than 0.2% per hour battery drop and some people managed to get 0% overnight with custom kernels.
Well, for me arrowOS had a ~usable~ battery life, with lasting pretty much a day, and I am now using crDroid which for some reason doesn't dose correctly and sometimes drains 20%+ overnight (with data, vpn, and bluetooth turned off). And I have no idea how to fix it, I tried the force doze app, tried looking at BBS, which did not return any usable info, so I am lost why I have such a bad battery drain. Maybe because of my always-on wireguard vpn (which runs in kernelspace btw).

Prototype18

Sep 22, 2012
London
Xiaomi Poco F3
Well, for me arrowOS had a ~usable~ battery life, with lasting pretty much a day, and I am now using crDroid which for some reason doesn't dose correctly and sometimes drains 20%+ overnight (with data, vpn, and bluetooth turned off). And I have no idea how to fix it, I tried the force doze app, tried looking at BBS, which did not return any usable info, so I am lost why I have such a bad battery drain. Maybe because of my always-on wireguard vpn (which runs in kernelspace btw).
i remember reading from someone that posted here, he was on crdroid and had 2 days of usage with like 8hr SOT and nothing disabled. I mean i dont want to cripple the phone. Looking in between oneOS and crdroid/hentaiOS until now. Idk im still reading alot and have 168 hours time to choose lol

Last edited:

motbot

Oct 16, 2021
i remember reading from someone that posted here, he was on crdroid and had 2 days of usage with like 8hr SOT and nothing disabled. I mean i dont want to cripple the phone. Looking in between oneOS and crdroid/hentaiOS until now. Idk im still reading alot and have 168 hours time to choose lol
Oneos is very good, I think it's the best miui based ROM and I've tried them all.

if you choose AOSP, try arrow, it is serving me very well with regards to battery life. It is also very snappy.

btw what kernels did you see that were enabling 0.2% battery percent drop per hour?

Prototype18

Sep 22, 2012
London
Xiaomi Poco F3
Oneos is very good, I think it's the best miui based ROM and I've tried them all.

if you choose AOSP, try arrow, it is serving me very well with regards to battery life. It is also very snappy.

btw what kernels did you see that were enabling 0.2% battery percent drop per hour?
Sorry for late reply. Crdroid and miui roms like casanova(support stalled atm), oneos(same) and miuimix. These have the best idle atm(stock no apps as then it will depend over the apps and settings u have installed). I have seen the screenshots showing less than 0.2% even some with 0% on telegram. Tbh im pretty happy with stock miui even though the "enhanced"(trash imo) version lowered my battery life. Before i would get 2 days out of 100% charge and now atmost 1 day. 22 hours left for bootloader to unlock and start flashing. I will try crdroid and arrow first and then check MIUI roms (the three mentioned above).Each day different rom .....

Last edited:

motbot

Oct 16, 2021
Sorry for late reply. Crdroid and miui roms like casanova(support stalled atm), oneos(same) and miuimix. These have the best idle atm(stock no apps as then it will depend over the apps and settings u have installed). I have seen the screenshots showing less than 0.2% even some with 0% on telegram. Tbh im pretty happy with stock miui even though the "enhanced"(trash imo) version lowered my battery life. Before i would get 2 days out of 100% charge and now atmost 1 day. 22 hours left for bootloader to unlock and start flashing. I will try crdroid and arrow first and then check MIUI roms (the three mentioned above).Each day different rom .....
I'm getting 0.17% idle drain per hour with arrowOS with some tweaks

Reactions: Prototype18

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Saying which rom is the best .. It is so subjective, because if you look closely, the vast majority of users will recommend and say that the rom they are using is the best.

Personally, on my previous mobile, I was using only miui, specifically the Xioami.EU and I was delighted.

But when I switched to Poco F3, I decided that even though I was happy with Miui, I wanted to make a change and try something else, hence I have been trying some roms (not all, because luckily, we have many to choose from).

Personally, I wanted them to work if not perfect, as well as possible, without apparent failures. That the performance is very good, that the battery behaves, but above all, that they provide you with a plus of personalization (extra adjustments and pops to put on the mobile).

So I tried:

- ArrowOS -> Quite happy, everything was going well and with some customization touches, I recommend trying it if you are looking for that and I think that it also updates from its own updater, in case you do not want to always carry the TWRP in tow.

- Hentai OS -> I don't like it at all, due to its null customization. I have also tried it 2 times, due to the good opinions that I have always read when they talk about it and to see if after a few weeks, it had improved in that aspect, but nothing, no matter how good they say it is, I don't like it at all nor does it give me that extra that I am looking for, so it is not a rom for me. Now, if you are looking for an experience as similar to a Pixel and as I mentioned, with zero customization, this may be your rom.

- Evolution X -> I tried the first version and it didn't really look bad. What happens, I think that the issue of updates is somewhat stopped and they have not released many since then, but I'm not sure about it either.

- LineageOS -> What to say about a mythical rom. I tried the first version and everything was going so well, that it is already a joy. I think this rom is also updated directly from its own updater, if you keep the TWRP they recommend for installation. It works in general lines very well, you have the security of the great community behind it and that it will be constantly updated and it also has its personalization touches, therefore, another recommended test.

- crDroid -> For me, for the use that I give to the mobile and what I was looking for as I said at the beginning, to this day, the "best" rom that I have tried by far. Everything works really well, it has customization options to give and sell, which I have not seen in other AOSP roms (as you will see, those based on miui I have not bothered to try any rom, because I wanted a change of miui after so many years being only true to miui). Above is constantly being updated with performance improvements and new customization options. And in addition, the developer / group of developers are very active and answer any questions that may arise, either in the rom thread or in the channel that is dedicated to the rom and our mobile in particular, the Poco F3, on Telegram.

This is broadly speaking, my totally subjective opinion, that there will be someone who may agree with me and surely many others, who do not agree.

But asserting that such a rom is better than the rest, just because it is the one you use, without giving any weighty argumentation, does not make much sense, because it can lead to mistakes, for someone who has no idea about roms.

The best thing is to know what you want and based on it, try different roms for several days each, in order to form a strong opinion and with arguments.

Sorry for the brick.​
    I was not aware that it takes a full week now to get your bootloader unlocked! I think till recently it was a day or two?

Still, I don't understand what's the state with the current "discontinued" roms like Arrow. As mentioned above, on their official website they are discontinued but you can still find a more recent rom in here. Are those just unofficial roms based on the official ones?
    My Beginners guide

1. Unlock You bootloader, using the tutorial by "MUNCHY"

2. While waiting 7 days for your bootloader to be unlocked, buy a OTG Adaptor,
    i recently brought a spare for £1.70 and a Samsung 128GB USB Stick for £19 from A-AZ-N uk. (Great Investment).

3. Download Temporary Recovery unzip and start your F3 in Fastboot mode using a PC and Flash TWRP Temporary Recovery using:

"RUN ME Temporary TWRP A13-Orange Fox Recovery.Bat" file,

select 1. TWRP, you should automatically reboot back into TWRP, their could be a 5 - 8 seconds wait time before TWRP appears.

if your faced with a black screen after reboot, then read the included instructions.

4. From with-in TWRP select (Advanced Tab) and "Flash Current TWRP", once completed reboot TWRP back into Recovery,

(If using a OTG Adaptor, WAIT 3 seconds before plugging
    it in)

4a. When using a OTG adaptor, you need to select the "Mount" tab and USB-OTG "Check Box",
    You can move your files into the F3`s internal phone memory but you need to copy your files over every time you Change roms & Format Data.

5. From with-in the Temporary Recovery folder install: "Magisk-fdac22ba-delta(25210).apk" using TWRP, "you can install this .APK file from with-in TWRP and any installed rom", once completed select re-boot.

6. From with-in your installed rom (MIUI) in your case, re-install the Magisk file above, follow the instruction and you should be rooted.

7. From with-in the Temporary Recovery folder install: "DataBackup.apk" and grant root privileges,
    back up all your favourite Apps & their Data, "Never Backup Magisk"

also with DataBackup you can backup: Picture, Music, Dcim and Download folders,
    i choose to save the backup files to my, OTG/Memory Stick.

8. Install your first custom rom (y),

before existing TWRP always remember to "Flash Current TWRP",
    if Root is needed, reboot back into recovery from with-in TWRP and install Magisk Delta.

once your rom has finished installing, copy over your backed up apps and their data using DataBackup.

9. To hide root from most banking apps, re-name Magisk from within Magisk using (MagiskHide), enable Zygisk & boot loop protection check boxes,
    select Configure MagiskHide, Select "Show system apps" & add "Google Play Services" and your troublesome files to the deny list.

10. From with-in the Downloaded file install: SD Maid.apk, agree to Root and privileges, once installed select APP Control, select your renamed MAGISK and choose FREEZE APP.

Hit the Like button if this post helped
    I got GCAM work on Arrow without any problem. Selfies & video quality is superior to the stock.
    Try MGC with IronHrt xml

The IronHrt XML for gcam.

The Gcam MGC APK.

To make life easier :)
    Currenly, Arrow and Syberia are the best to me. I've flashed every rom many times as I have an extra Poco to play with. The runners up for me are crDroid and AICP. If you use the Always On Display you won't get great battery life on any of the ROMs. One of my pet peeves is if the rom doesn't have something so simple like a clear all button at the bottom in recents and an option to only show the battery percentage in the statusbar then it's a failure.
    For MIUI roms i always go to EU rom, but anyways with this Poco F3 the best rom out there it's Arrow OS, fast, continous updates with his own updater, necessary customization, and this last update is something really good. Flash and forget anything.
    As Calamaros said best ROM is a matter of subjective preference. I also tried for at least one day in this order Xiaomi EU, Pixel Experience, OneOs, Syberia, Arrow, Havoc, Crdroid, EvolutionX, Lineage. In the end the winner for me was ArrowOs because is really, really fast, NFC, banking and Netflix (L1certification) works, not as customisable as HavocOs, Crdroid and EvolutionX but not lacking either, and the battery seems to last the longest. I don't game but I do Netflix, HBO and Emby alot and I get 7-9 hours screen time of 1080 playback at 50-60% luminosity on Data and Bluetooth (AptX HD). Animations are set at 0.5x and unnecessary boot apps disabled. If it helps someone...