Best Device for LOS (+MicroG)?

Search This thread

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
Hi,

i am planing to buy a new phone and I will use it with LOS + MicroG.
What Hardware will work best?
I do not like huge phones and prefer smaller ones. My last device was a BQ X Pro (also with LOS+MG) which had a nice size.
But most important is that everything just works as expected and there are developers willing to support it during the next years.

From my research the Poco F3 might be an option.
I also like the OnePlus Nord2 from hardware perspective. Unfortunately there is only an unofficial release and community seems to be rather small.

Any suggestions?

SigmundDroid

Sep 25, 2015
Fairphone
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Difficult to say - I'd suggest open all items in
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

Currently about 190... and do a shoot out based your preferred specs.

For me, that would be:
  • RAM 4GB or more (by now rather 6GB)
  • Dual SIM AND dedicated memory card
  • 64GB memory or more
  • width less than 76mm (or 73 like your BQ)
  • battery at least 4500mAh
And once you got that slimmed to down, look for any caveats and kick those out as well.

Quite possibly you want to go for a common device to ensure a wide user base (and thus better support):
https://stats.lineageos.org/

Edit: Why MicroG? Google is evil, isn't it?

Last edited:

SigmundDroid

Sep 25, 2015
Fairphone
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
After reading
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroG
I'm getting interested in that myself...

Obviously there's more to it and I finally found their reqs and list... I see it's really hard(er) work to pick the right one - bookmarked for reference, learned something here, thanks!

Oh and good luck :) Looking forward to see your choice.

PS: Full ack boycotting Samsung (but rather for their software and policies). Never thought of Pixels, they never survived my shootouts due to mediocre batteries and mutilated screens...

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
Yes. Evil. But some apps need it. So microG is the factor 1000 less evil alternative.
Full-ACK on this and that's the main reason for getting back from LOS+MG after trying an iPhone for more than a year now. Some Apps might not work with MicroG (due to bad programming and unnecessary dependencies) but most of them are replaceable with a better app or are not really relevant. There is just a single app that really annoys me, because it is really great but depends on google-in-app-lincense-****. Only way was to license it on a spare phone with GAPPS, do a titanium backup and restore on MG device. Hope that still works...
Don't buy Samsung. VoLTE issue still not solved.
Pixel phones are not evil.
From my research Samsung does not support LOS / custom ROMs for several years but I liked the hardware in the past and my Galaxy S1 worked nice with Cyanogen.

If we ignore the fact that google develops and produces the hardware in combination with the closed firmware, that me have to trust, I think that the hardware is way overpriced. I had a Google Nexus 5 which was great when I bought it and it had a fair price. If I compare hardware and price from the current google devices this seems rather ridiculous.
Same with the current OnePlus devices in comparison to former devices like the OnePlus One. But I think I would currently still prefer any OnePlus device over Googles devices for obvious reasons...

@SigmundDroid :
I know this device list and have already checked it but I was looking for experiences and thought that maybe someone was on a similar search and might have some experiences to share.
But the "Stats"list is indeed interesting and I did not know it. Do you know how this is generated. There are some really old devices in the top of the list. Are they still active or have they just been active in the past?

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmundDroid

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Full-ACK on this and that's the main reason for getting back from LOS+MG after trying an iPhone for more than a year now. Some Apps might not work with MicroG (due to bad programming and unnecessary dependencies) but most of them are replaceable with a better app or are not really relevant. There is just a single app that really annoys me, because it is really great but depends on google-in-app-lincense-****. Only way was to license it on a spare phone with GAPPS, do a titanium backup and restore on MG device. Hope that still works...

From my research Samsung does not support LOS / custom ROMs for several years but I liked the hardware in the past and my Galaxy S1 worked nice with Cyanogen.

If we ignore the fact that google develops and produces the hardware in combination with the closed firmware, that me have to trust, I think that the hardware is way overpriced. I had a Google Nexus 5 which was great when I bought it and it had a fair price. If I compare hardware and price from the current google devices this seems rather ridiculous.
Same with the current OnePlus devices in comparison to former devices like the OnePlus One. But I think I would currently still prefer any OnePlus device over Googles devices for obvious reasons...

@SigmundDroid :
I know this device list and have already checked it but I was looking for experiences and thought that maybe someone was on a similar search and might have some experiences to share.
But the "Stats"list is indeed interesting and I did not know it. Do you know how this is generated. There are some really old devices in the top of the list. Are they still active or have they just been active in the past?
The stats list only contains data from devices that have been activated the previous 7 days - and there is a toggle in lineageOS to take part in that counting.

Besides some probably faked numers, you see good coverage of old phones. Unknown country means those phones run without sim card. Those are the really old phones maybe used as media player.

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
After reading

Obviously there's more to it and I finally found their reqs and list... I see it's really hard(er) work to pick the right one - bookmarked for reference, learned something here, thanks!

PS: Full ack boycotting Samsung (but rather for their software and policies). Never thought of Pixels, they never survived my shootouts due to mediocre batteries and mutilated screens...

I did a lot of research and some tests now. So I thought I should just provide a small update here. :)

ASUS Zenfone 8 seemed to be the winner from stats if you consider size. (had a test device but did not unlock it)
I really like the device although I don´t like fingerprint readers to be integrated in the display. It´s not as bad as you might read in some reviews but why the hell would i put a fingerprint reader in a display if I just can put it on the back? (works perfectly and I just have my finger there anyway, when pulling the device out of my pocket!)
So now the Points that suck:
- ASUS has a strange way to unlock the bootloader and does not allow you to ever relock it
- Camera is great but only with stock ROM (ASUS Cam does not work, GCAM might work under special conditions but not seems be a satisfying solution, opencamera is night with good light conditions but fails as soon as it gets darker)
- small user base
==> not worth the money. I would pay the price, if ASUS would be more open minded to alternative ROMs and the Cam would also work on these like on stock ROM.

I also checked a Poce F3 just to see if I could arrange with the size. But it is just way to big, like almost any other available devices.

So, if you consider size, the only interesting alternative seems to be the Google Pixel 4a, which unfortunately is not available any more. So you can buy a totally overpriced one from a shop or try to make a good shot on ebay (what I did).
My device will arrive in a few days and I will report after testing.

During my research I also notices the GrapheneOS Project, which seems to be an interesting (maybe even better?) alternative to LOS (but only works with Google devices). I will also test this and report back here about my findings. :)

If anybody has another good suggestion that I missed, please let me know. But unfortunately everybody seems to like those small tablets in their pockets instead of normal phones, so I doubt you can find one...

Reactions: SigmundDroid

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
Think I bricked my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s for good.
Looking for the very same: Small reliable phone, good battery life and big community (-> long support). Maybe a decent camera.
@topaza What did you buy?
Google Pixel 4a.
Not much alternatives out there if you want a small device.
If you buy one, you might also consider to go with GrapheneOS instead of LOS+MG.

Reactions: happyassshit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

@SigmundDroid :
    The stats list only contains data from devices that have been activated the previous 7 days - and there is a toggle in lineageOS to take part in that counting.

Besides some probably faked numers, you see good coverage of old phones. Unknown country means those phones run without sim card. Those are the really old phones maybe used as media player.
    Difficult to say - I'd suggest open all items in
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/dev
    https://stats.lineageos.org/

Edit: Why MicroG? Google is evil, isn't it?
    Yes. Evil. But some apps need it. So microG is the factor 1000 less evil alternative.

@SigmundDroid :
    After reading

I did a lot of research and some tests now. So I thought I should just provide a small update here. :)

ASUS Zenfone 8 seemed to be the winner from stats if you consider size. (had a test device but did not unlock it)
    I really like the device although I don´t like fingerprint readers to be integrated in the display. It´s not as bad as you might read in some reviews but why the hell would i put a fingerprint reader in a display if I just can put it on the back? (works perfectly and I just have my finger there anyway, when pulling the device out of my pocket!)
    So now the Points that suck:
    - ASUS has a strange way to unlock the bootloader and does not allow you to ever relock it
    - Camera is great but only with stock ROM (ASUS Cam does not work, GCAM might work under special conditions but not seems be a satisfying solution, opencamera is night with good light conditions but fails as soon as it gets darker)
    - small user base
    ==> not worth the money. I would pay the price, if ASUS would be more open minded to alternative ROMs and the Cam would also work on these like on stock ROM.

I also checked a Poce F3 just to see if I could arrange with the size. But it is just way to big, like almost any other available devices.

So, if you consider size, the only interesting alternative seems to be the Google Pixel 4a, which unfortunately is not available any more. So you can buy a totally overpriced one from a shop or try to make a good shot on ebay (what I did).
    My device will arrive in a few days and I will report after testing.

During my research I also notices the GrapheneOS Project, which seems to be an interesting (maybe even better?) alternative to LOS (but only works with Google devices). I will also test this and report back here about my findings. :)

If anybody has another good suggestion that I missed, please let me know. But unfortunately everybody seems to like those small tablets in their pockets instead of normal phones, so I doubt you can find one...
    Think I bricked my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s for good.
    Looking for the very same: Small reliable phone, good battery life and big community (-> long support). Maybe a decent camera.
    @topaza What did you buy?
    Google Pixel 4a.
    Not much alternatives out there if you want a small device.
    If you buy one, you might also consider to go with GrapheneOS instead of LOS+MG.