Best Device To Get Access To Android?

Search This thread

razers7t8

Dec 13, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm currently using an iPhone and an iPad as my main phone and tablet but I still want access to Android. I enjoy trying customs ROMS and rooting and all of that stuff that ANDROID allows you to do and so I'm looking for an affordable device - nothing fancy - that will allow me to explore Android. Someone suggested that I get the Moto G5 Plus as it's affordable and a capable device.

I'd be getting the 32 gb international version. My questions are:

1) Is this the best/most affordable device to experience android on?

2) Can it be easily rooted?

3) Can I use custom ROMS?

This is the version that I'm considering buying:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01N5...dpPl=1&dpID=51riiKk3VNL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I also recently got an Amazon Fire HD 10 hoping to install custom ROMS on there, but as of right now, that's not possible.

Last edited:

razers7t8

Dec 13, 2017
How can you enjoy flashing roms on iphone?
that's impossible
Hi guys,

I'm currently using an iPhone and an iPad as my main phone and tablet but I still want access to Android. I enjoy trying customs ROMS and rooting and all of that stuff that ANDROID allows you to do and so I'm looking for an affordable device - nothing fancy - that will allow me to explore Android. Someone suggested that I get the Moto G5 Plus as it's affordable and a capable device.

I'd be getting the 32 gb international version. My questions are:

1) Is this the best/most affordable device to experience android on?

2) Can it be easily rooted?

3) Can I use custom ROMS?

This is the version that I'm considering buying :

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01N5...dpPl=1&dpID=51riiKk3VNL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I also recently got an Amazon Fire HD 10 hoping to install custom ROMS on there, but as of right now, that's not possible.

Last edited:

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
that's impossible

OP probably means they've had Android phones in the past and enjoyed rooting/custom ROMs/etc with them.

Best Cheap Android Phones of 2017 [Android Central]
They just rated Moto G5 Plus as best overall and I've seen several other articles also listing it at the top or very highly.

OP's linked 'standard/no-ads' model technically meets all three criteria, but I can't say if 2 GB RAM takes adequate advantage of all it offers. My 4 GB XT1687 model runs the latest Android 8.0/8.1 64-bit ROMs with very good performance & battery life, plus they provide the latest security patches while Stock is still at Android 7.0 with several month old security patches.

razers7t8

Dec 13, 2017
OP probably means they've had Android phones in the past and enjoyed rooting/custom ROMs/etc with them.

They just rated Moto G5 Plus as best overall and I've seen several other articles also listing it at the top or very highly.

OP's linked 'standard/no-ads' model technically meets all three criteria, but I can't say if 2 GB RAM takes adequate advantage of all it offers. My 4 GB XT1687 model runs the latest Android 8.0/8.1 64-bit ROMs with very good performance & battery life, plus they provide the latest security patches while Stock is still at Android 7.0 with several month old security patches.

Thank you! How about this phone? It's cheaper, has more ram and a better display.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0169...blackberry&dpPl=1&dpID=41-frWt48FL&ref=plSrch

Smeagal192

Jan 25, 2016
Cheshire
4gb with 64gb, pretty future proof, and G5plus camera constantly reviewed as better overall than the newer S version.

Mind you if you do not care about camera, then S case + sceensize are better

razers7t8

Dec 13, 2017
4gb with 64gb, pretty future proof, and G5plus camera constantly reviewed as better overall than the newer S version.

Mind you if you do not care about camera, then S case + sceensize are better

I ordered the Moto G5S Plus 32 GB with 3 GB of RAM. I can't wait to root and try out some ROMS!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    that's impossible

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone