Best file manager (no, it is not ASTRO)

Search This thread

gogol

May 20, 2005
Hi,

Most people will use ASTRO for file manager app.

ASTRO is nice and works, indeed.

But, I found "EStrong file explorer" is much better:

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.estrongs.android.pop/

Here are some features that you cannot find it in current ASTRO version:

- Browse to share folder on PC/Linux via LAN (Windows share folder / Samba)
- FTP client built-in
- Built-in ZIP file handling support (extract only at current version)

I tested it to browse my share folder which is located in NetGEAR NAS. It worked fine and fast.

Oh yes, it also has those basic "app manager" features:
- Backup
- Restore
- Install
- Uninstall

Price: FREE

:D

Search EStrongs in the Market to find this app (thanks to ninjakettle).

And this should be the QR code / barcode:
chart

Last edited:
Reactions: levan7 and an430

A|ex

Oct 8, 2008
Hong Kong
I have to admit i have no problems with ASTRO but this one does look good, i tried looking on the market store but was unable to find it. does anyone know hen its going to be submitted?

Pyr0x64

Mar 7, 2010
Merseyside
it's on the market now
i used a barcode scanner to link my phone to it on the market, but as ninjakettle already pointed out, you can search the market for "estrongs" (without the quotes) as in Estrongs File Explorer
it seems the the market search isn't too clever when it comes to searching for partial names no matter how close you are *shrug*

Last edited:

youandwhosearmy

Jul 30, 2008
Manchester
Ok finally got estrongs to see my PC. I however cannot get files from my phones SD card to my PC. When I try to cut or copy a file over I get a failed message. I ideas why this might not be working? I'm running the Orange stock ROM on my Desire.

EDIT - Is there a maximum file size that can be copied over using estrongs? I've managed to copy some SNES Roms over but not a 17MB file from my SD card to PC.

Last edited:

jm997

Mar 9, 2010
I'm using AndroZIP and AndFTP. Personally, I think AndroZIP is better than EStrong as a file manager and it is way smaller. AndFTP is the best SFTP/FTP client I've seen.

gogol

May 20, 2005
You right, EStrongs cannot compress files ... but that's might not be the main functionality of a file manager (in Windows desktop you need winzip, winrar or things like that).

Ability to browse network share folder is much more important ... and it has FTP client built in in one package :)

I'm using AndroZIP and AndFTP. Personally, I think AndroZIP is better than EStrong as a file manager and it is way smaller. AndFTP is the best SFTP/FTP client I've seen.

as4m4df

Apr 1, 2009
Blackburn
You right, EStrongs cannot compress files ... but that's might not be the main functionality of a file manager (in Windows desktop you need winzip, winrar or things like that).

Ability to browse network share folder is much more important ... and it has FTP client built in in one package :)

I thought ASTRO had SFTP. It seems if ya scroll to the right on top menu bar theres a network button. NOT that i have anything against EStrongs.. ;)

Last edited:

npw

Mar 12, 2007
I thought ASTRO had SFTP. It seems if ya scroll to the right on top menu bar theres a network button. NOT that i have anything against EStrongs.. ;)

ASTRO does have that functionaity but you need to enter all the settings manually. Even I switched from ASTRO to Estrongs as the FTP search is brilliant.

gogol

May 20, 2005
Sure, I did not know that. But it does not have share folder access via LAN (CIFS/Samba).

chushev

Apr 10, 2007
I have a PC connected to my wifi router and have some shared folders on it. I don't have any passwords set up. I tried entering the ip (192.168.1.101 in my case), but EStrong doesn't let me connect without entering a user and pass.

How do I connect to these folders?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Most people will use ASTRO for file manager app.

ASTRO is nice and works, indeed.

But, I found "EStrong file explorer" is much better:

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.estrongs.android.pop/

Here are some features that you cannot find it in current ASTRO version:

- Browse to share folder on PC/Linux via LAN (Windows share folder / Samba)
    - FTP client built-in
    - Built-in ZIP file handling support (extract only at current version)

I tested it to browse my share folder which is located in NetGEAR NAS. It worked fine and fast.

Oh yes, it also has those basic "app manager" features:
    - Backup
    - Restore
    - Install
    - Uninstall

Price: FREE

:D

Search EStrongs in the Market to find this app (thanks to ninjakettle).

And this should be the QR code / barcode:
    chart
    Well if you like ES than You should check Total Commander for Android @ www.ghisler.com

LAN working (as plugin)
    FTP working
    Zip working
    Root working
    and it's free
    and the feature that I like most: double panels

best file manager for me ever. The RC version should be available soon on market.For now use link on TC page.
    Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium
    i think miui file manager best one
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone