Best Gcam for pixel 6 astrography.

Search This thread

bubbyj

Dec 31, 2015
I do not think there is much you can do to make it better!
Ohhh but yes there is.

I've used 40+ versions of gcam mods in the last couple of years... and the astrophotography's quality differences are palpable across the array of options.

The ability to tune certain variants is enough to make a night and day difference.

Black level. Shasta. Shutter speed/time. Total exposure length. Noise models. Hdr type/interface and versions. Frame numbers. Custom libraries. And the list goes on and on.

My favorite version is MWP 8.4, latest update.

The highly tuned astro pics are just breath taking.

Something that can not be said of the factory Google camera app.. even the 8.7.xx

Back in the day, before 8.x's came out... cstark27's gcam was as good as it gets. PX4.3 specifically. Using a magisk module for ultra long exposure times.. it literally produced some of the best pics I've ever seen in astrophotography mode. Exposure times of 9 minutes were possible. The only problem was that if clouds appeared in the frame, it created a painted photo. 9 minutes is a longgggg time.. lots of stuff could move around. I clouding the stars.

Today, I'd put MWP up against any other mod. And I highly recommend it.

Reactions: vonDubenshire

vonDubenshire

Feb 10, 2018
USA
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
LG Nexus 5X
Ohhh but yes there is.

I've used 40+ versions of gcam mods in the last couple of years... and the astrophotography's quality differences are palpable across the array of options.

The ability to tune certain variants is enough to make a night and day difference.

Black level. Shasta. Shutter speed/time. Total exposure length. Noise models. Hdr type/interface and versions. Frame numbers. Custom libraries. And the list goes on and on.

Something that can not be said of the factory Google camera app.. even the 8.7.xx

Back in the day, before 8.x's came out... cstark27's gcam was as good as it gets. PX4.3 specifically. Using a magisk module for ultra long exposure times.. it literally produced some of the best pics I've ever seen in astrophotography mode. Exposure times of 9 minutes were possible. The only problem was that if clouds appeared in the frame, it created a painted photo. 9 minutes is a longgggg time.. lots of stuff could move around. I clouding the stars.

So I posted that comment in August, I will say that I discovered a comment somewhere on this site (posted a screenshot in a chat, I can't find the link ATM) that sent me to dig up the latest stuff from MWP and stuff that worked on 8.4+ on the P6 Pro, (I am not rooted)

I take back what I said at the time :)

Thx for info

Attachments

• 1a1d9a1a-9a41-4cba-8ec4-e00fbb459a9f.jpeg
    1a1d9a1a-9a41-4cba-8ec4-e00fbb459a9f.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 91

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some gcam optimized to get the best out of the astrography mode of our pixel 6, I think I can squeeze even more.

Greetings and thanks.
    I do not think there is much you can do to make it better!
    Ohhh but yes there is.