Best non-stock rom for mido

Search This thread
Hello. It's me again, with another part of whole process called "make your smartphone just like you".

I've got this nice and shiny phone for about a month or so, I was able to unlock it on the second try (not sure why myfriends decided to turn it down the first time, but don't think that matters now), now I'll like to install custom TWRP 3.2.1.0. I've read today, that I do not need to make a factory reset after doing so. Is it correct? Is it just a misunderstanding?

Anyway, which custom rom do You consider to be the best? I would of course like to have newest Android, instead of being still in version 7 (which is not bad, but if it could be better, why shouldn't I use it?).
I do not have any specific features that I would like to have, but having plenty of configuration options is always nice.
For other options I do not really have an opinion, what should be important and what should be irrelevant. I've read that You could improve photo quality by using this stuff, but I'm not sure is it true or not. https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
If it would be possible, I would gladly accept FHD recording in 60 FPS (not sure if this is available in stock) and MAYBE (if possible again) better quality of night photos. Far the most important thing is battery life and no bugs. If the rom is having issues with getting network, gps, bluetooth or anything else, I'm dropping it at once. Also, stability and ability to work without reseting itself or crashing is wanted by me. I've also heard that some mods could be quieter than stock and I would also like to avoid that. And some extra points will be granted for mod WITHOUT most of the google apps, since I'm not using them and actually deleting them from any rooted phone. From what I remember, installing new ones has not been a problem, even on stock phone, but uninstalling them when You get it on start is pain the neck.

Thanks for any help that might be useful!

k3lcior

Feb 23, 2011
Kraków
Moto G5
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
OmniROM, NitrogenOS, ResurrectionRemix 6.0 all should be good to go, you can look through the respective threads to see what extra functionality/customization they offer and then decide.
Personally i recommend flashing FrancoKernel over (compatible with all above).
Also flash Nano or Pico Gapps if you want bare minimum google package.

DarthJabba9

Recognized Developer
May 5, 2014
Greater London
Oh, one more thing - I did not specify it before. My CPU is Snapdragon, so I believe it makes a difference.
An extensive list of Oreo ROMs for mido is here: https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-4/help/extensive-list-oreo-roms-mido-t3741277

Take your pick. I prefer ROMs based on AOSP-CAF, because they tend to be lean and skinny.

As far as camera is concerned, it all depends on your camera sensor. I have a Samsung sensor, and I find cstark27 mods of GCam very good - see https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-cstark27/

Last edited:

sk8223

Nov 10, 2012
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I'm also curious about this. I just ordered a Redmi Note 4 Global, 4/64 (mido) and I'm trying to figure out which Oreo ROM I should go with: Pixel Experience or unofficial LOS 15.1. I'm leaning towards the latter because of that sweet Treble support, but I don't know if it's more stable than Pixel Experience or not. Or if there's a ROM more stable than those two.

I'm interested in installing Magisk, the Xposed Oreo beta, Viper4Android, various Xposed modules and root apps. I want to stay away from SuperSU and SuperUser because they don't pass SafetyNet, AFAIK.

Laurisss

May 3, 2014
I'm also curious about this. I just ordered a Redmi Note 4 Global, 4/64 (mido) and I'm trying to figure out which Oreo ROM I should go with: Pixel Experience or unofficial LOS 15.1. I'm leaning towards the latter because of that sweet Treble support, but I don't know if it's more stable than Pixel Experience or not. Or if there's a ROM more stable than those two.

I'm interested in installing Magisk, the Xposed Oreo beta, Viper4Android, various Xposed modules and root apps. I want to stay away from SuperSU and SuperUser because they don't pass SafetyNet, AFAIK.

Well xposed triggers safety net so yeah. Unistalled it for that reason