Best plastic screen protectors

Search This thread

situman

Jun 1, 2011
Just get some nice plastic screen protector which preferably is HD (meaning it doesn't distort the image at all and it's ~99.9% clear) and you will immediately see the difference.

Their wet install screen protectors always made the screen look bad in my opinion. Is this still the case?

They have odd color specks as if the water never completely evaporates. Honestly, the Spigen Crystal and the Illumishield Clear is damn good. I have the illumishields on my NVidia shield tablet and I forget I have a screen protector on and that opened my eyes to that brand. Besides both are cheap and comes in packs of 3 and they stick well with no halo effects. Feels more like glass since its hard plastic. The Skinomi techskins and the armorsuits wet apply skins gets dented and its not as clear and scratches pretty easily too and no it does not heal itself despite what it claims. Go ahead run your fingernails gently across it and see the dents and see if it "heals." None of the so called healing ever happened to dents or scratches.

Reactions: mauriceheath

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
They have odd color specks as if the water never completely evaporates. Honestly, the Spigen Crystal and the Illumishield Clear is damn good. I have the illumishields on my NVidia shield tablet and I forget I have a screen protector on and that opened my eyes to that brand. Besides both are cheap and comes in packs of 3 and they stick well with no halo effects. Feels more like glass since its hard plastic. The Skinomi techskins and the armorsuits wet apply skins gets dented and its not as clear and scratches pretty easily too and no it does not heal itself despite what it claims. Go ahead run your fingernails gently across it and see the dents and see if it "heals." None of the so called healing ever happened to dents or scratches.

That's what I figured. I don't like wet install skins for this reason and because the last time I used on was on my G Pad 8.3 which stopped working because some of the fluid mist of seeped into a gap. I've very very careful installed things and I was surprised that it broke but that's why I really don't like wet install protectors. It seems like they haven't fixed the distortion they cause either. It was probably my fault for having a drop get Into a gap (I don't know if it did but my screen flickered and then wouldn't turn on) but again it was a lesson learned and km glad I had a square trade warranty on my GPad.

Spigen Crystal films are still my favorite and the best ones I have used so far :)

situman

Jun 1, 2011
That's what I figured. I don't like wet install skins for this reason and because the last time I used on was on my G Pad 8.3 which stopped working because some of the fluid mist of seeped into a gap. I've very very careful installed things and I was surprised that it broke but that's why I really don't like wet install protectors. It seems like they haven't fixed the distortion they cause either. It was probably my fault for having a drop get Into a gap (I don't know if it did but my screen flickered and then wouldn't turn on) but again it was a lesson learned and km glad I had a square trade warranty on my GPad.

Spigen Crystal films are still my favorite and the best ones I have used so far :)

I think I'm going to just give up on using glass protectors if the second orzley I have coming in today doesn't work out well. Not worth the headache of purchasing, waiting for two weeks for amazon to ship it for free, doesn't work, pack it back up and ship it back out. Order the Spigen and Illumishield as well so just gonna be using those instead.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I think I'm going to just give up on using glass protectors if the second orzley I have coming in today doesn't work out well. Not worth the headache of purchasing, waiting for two weeks for amazon to ship it for free, doesn't work, pack it back up and ship it back out. Order the Spigen and Illumishield as well so just gonna be using those instead.

I have the Orzly but I won't use it because its so tiny that its worthless. It pretty much only covers the screen and nothing else which I don't like. I ordered another Jelly Comb which arrives tomorrow. I'll see how it fits this time around. I have a different phone because of a RMA so if may or may not work.

Gungrave223

Jun 12, 2011
Loganville

Umm lol im think im actually the option of this, I prefer wet applied screen protector because its easier to install.. If you need to adjust you don't have to take the entire thing off and hope you don't get your fingerprint or dust under it in the process, rather you can just slide it into place.

I just install a wet SP to my girls tablet the other day. at first she didn't like it because of the initial bubbles but not she loves it. No tinting or distortion either...maybe a crappy band? I personally like Skinomi.. best wet SP that I've used (although I will admit to not trying new things once I find something I like lol)

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Umm lol im think im actually the option of this, I prefer wet applied screen protector because its easier to install.. If you need to adjust you don't have to take the entire thing off and hope you don't get your fingerprint or dust under it in the process, rather you can just slide it into place.

I just install a wet SP to my girls tablet the other day. at first she didn't like it because of the initial bubbles but not she loves it. No tinting or distortion either...maybe a crappy band? I personally like Skinomi.. best wet SP that I've used (although I will admit to not trying new things once I find something I like lol)

I'm used to installing TG so I've mastered installing non wet screen protectors. Plastic dry install SPs are even easier for me because you can bend them unlike TG. I'm not a fan of wet install for the reasons above, but everyone is different and if you like them then that's good. I prefer something that feels closer to glass and not a soft touch.

Gungrave223

Jun 12, 2011
Loganville
I'm used to installing TG so I've mastered installing non wet screen protectors. Plastic dry install SPs are even easier for me because you can bend them unlike TG. I'm not a fan of wet install for the reasons above, but everyone is different and if you like them then that's good. I prefer something that feels closer to glass and not a soft touch.

Lol I like wet cause I at dry... I usually don't jump on the TG bandwagon but decided to with the N6 I got the orzly originally and fell in love with the glass feel.. unfortunately the wide was crap....and even worst off...well you been on that TG thread so you know its not looking that great to get a TG that fix everyone screen really hit or miss.

But if you don't mind wet application SP I recommend the Skinomi... it's a little up there in price, but its worth it. I personally might pick up a one in a couple of weeks when I get back in town, maybe even the Spigen Crystal to see which one I like better, right after I give the Jelly Comb TG a try since it seems to the most hit for people. :fingers-crossed:

**Edit**
Turns out the price is not bad at all on amazon for the N6 lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilz

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Lol I like wet cause I at dry... I usually don't jump on the TG bandwagon but decided to with the N6 I got the orzly originally and fell in love with the glass feel.. unfortunately the wide was crap....and even worst off...well you been on that TG thread so you know its not looking that great to get a TG that fix everyone screen really hit or miss.

But if you don't mind wet application SP I recommend the Skinomi... it's a little up there in price, but its worth it. I personally might pick up a one in a couple of weeks when I get back in town, maybe even the Spigen Crystal to see which one I like better, right after I give the Jelly Comb TG a try since it seems to the most hit for people. :fingers-crossed:

**Edit**
Turns out the price is not bad at all on amazon for the N6 lol

Yeah it doesn't look good, but iLoome could fix that if they ever release theirs. I have a JC coming Saturday so I'll post over in the TG OP about if it actually fits. I have plenty of back up Spigen ones just in case.

machNex

Nov 18, 2014
The Banana Belt
My Ringke screen protector is scratched like crazy. I've been less than impressed with it. It collects fingerprints very easily as well. At least it came with the slim case for free...

The Spigen protectors are on Amazon Prime in Canada. $11.99 w/ 2 day shipping. Absolutely worth a try.

Crosserson

Jan 31, 2013
My Ringke screen protector is scratched like crazy. I've been less than impressed with it. It collects fingerprints very easily as well. At least it came with the slim case for free...

The Spigen protectors are on Amazon Prime in Canada. $11.99 w/ 2 day shipping. Absolutely worth a try.

The ringke screen protector is invisible defenders, which scratch easily.

I just put the SPIGEN protectors on and they are excellent.

b.huss2

Dec 8, 2010
Greenville
Spigen crystal is great. I prefer glass. In fact I told myself I would never use plastic again. However, none of the glass protectors for this phone look good. I would rather leave it naked than put one of the glass ones on and deal with that horrible looking halo effect. Long story short, I got this Spigen crystal and I'm quite happy with it. Clear, feels good, and fits good. If your going to go plastic, go with spigen crystal.

Edit: forgot to mention it's a dry application. Nice and stiff piece for being plastic. Goes on very similar as the glass ones.

Last edited:

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
Spigen Crystal

Sorry for poor quality photos, used an old HTC ONE X.

Also, I 'had to' use flash as the screen protector couldn't be seen at all without it.

Full coverage, invisible to anyone using my phone who doesn't know it has one - highly recommend.

2ajm06.jpg

s1lopt.jpg

Sensor & front camera protected - No Issues with either.

Reactions: mexiking713

mexiking713

Sep 2, 2010
Houston, TX
Spigen Crystal

Sorry for poor quality photos, used an old HTC ONE X.

Also, I 'had to' use flash as the screen protector couldn't be seen at all without it.

Full coverage, invisible to anyone using my phone who doesn't know it has one - highly recommend.

2ajm06.jpg

s1lopt.jpg

Sensor & front camera protected - No Issues with either.

Very nice. If I can't find a decent tempered glass screen protector then I'll give this a try.

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
I received the invisible defender's 3 + 1 pack but haven't tried them yet as the EZgaudz tg isn't too terribly bad. It has caused some issues with the proximity sensor because that corner wouldn't stay down. They sent me a replacement that I haven't tried yet. Probably will just use the invisible defenders when I do take it off

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mWags

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
What do you recommend using when you run out of the tabs that shipped with the Spigen Crystal?

What are you using them for? If you want to get dust off the screen then use scotch tape. I usually rip a piece off and make it into a loop because its easier to use like that. If you need a tab to remove the plastic just use your finger nail. I have an extra pack of the Spigen ones in my phone case drawer and I have all kinds of fun things to remove dirt. If you have a camera cleaning kit that will work too. On occasion I will use my LensPen's brush and a duster bulb to get all of the dirt out of the little crevices and speakers.

Karine

Aug 16, 2007
Tempe, AZ
What are you using them for? If you want to get dust off the screen then use scotch tape. I usually rip a piece off and make it into a loop because its easier to use like that. If you need a tab to remove the plastic just use your finger nail. I have an extra pack of the Spigen ones in my phone case drawer and I have all kinds of fun things to remove dirt. If you have a camera cleaning kit that will work too. On occasion I will use my LensPen's brush and a duster bulb to get all of the dirt out of the little crevices and speakers.

During application of a replacement Spigen SP, if dust gets trapped underneath, can I safely use scotch tape to lift the SP and remove the dust from the sticky underside of the SP, in lieu of the tabs/tape that originally came with the the SPs?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my invisible defenders today. went on good. Cheap and a 4 pack.
    Can u show a pic with the case on? Where does skin meet case? Or does the case go over top of the skin?

These stop right before the curve in the screen. Does not touch the case.
    Thank you for the pics. I am more interested in the back actually and how easy was it to cover the Motorola Dimple?

I already have the Neo Hybrid on the phone, and I apologize, but it is a real PITA to take it off and put it on. I can tell you this, though. The back was surprisingly easy to apply. The protector is obviously a flat sheet, but it easily conformed to the dimple. I think you can see in the previous photo of the back i posted, the back protector adhered flawlessly. The only thing was, I had to squeegee out the excess water (this is a wet apply) because water collected in the dimple lol took all of two seconds. I chose to order the matte material instead of the glossy for the back (didn't want a shiny back), so there is no orange peel effect on the back. Take a look at the attached photo, there is no water or air bubbles at all in the dimple.
    During application of a replacement Spigen SP, if dust gets trapped underneath, can I safely use scotch tape to lift the SP and remove the dust from the sticky underside of the SP, in lieu of the tabs/tape that originally came with the the SPs?

If you are careful then yes. I would follow the standard of running a hot shower and applying the screen protector in the bathroom so there is no dust in the air. Also make sure to wash your hands before the install it makes a difference. scotch take isn't super strong and yes it will work assuming you have no additional dust to get under the screen protector. I will rarely every adjust mine because you are increasing the chance of dust getting under it that and I change mine monthly because I like the feel of a fresh screen protector.

Quick note: never touch the adhesive on the screen protector because 9/10 times it will make things worse even with the supplied tabs. I would call it a wash and try again in a better dust free environment because its much harder to save the screen protector when you mess with the underside adhesive by touching it with anything.
    Skinomi screen protector. Pics taken with N5 HDR+.
    2rogy2w.jpg

23jlcv9.jpg

ofsgux.jpg

4r3mkz.jpg
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone