• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Best watch with good battery?

crusht

Jul 4, 2017
I bought the 4xl for a friend and setting it up for him. He also wants a watch that is fully compatible and has great battery.

I understand phones but know nothing about watches. Please help.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I bought the 4xl for a friend and setting it up for him. He also wants a watch that is fully compatible and has great battery.

I understand phones but know nothing about watches. Please help.
I'm a Fossil Gen 5 running Wear OS owner and my wife is a FitBit Versa 1 owner. My Gen 5 for sure is smartwatch as it's main priority so it's definitely more feature full in terms of interactions with notifications. My wife loves how I can reply with either voice to text, drawing or selecting an emoji, or swiping to type a message on a little keyboard. However, the battery life is definitely a daily charge especially if you sleep track. I top it off in the morning and before going to sleep. Her Versa 1 is much more limited in smartwatch functions but does have a better minimum 4-5+ day battery.

I would say a Wear OS device with good battery is the TicWatch Pro with 4G/LTE. It's actually the same price as the Fossil but has the option for 4G/LTE, larger screen, and has a second, low battery usage screen that extends it's like to 2+ days depending on usage. I would say the downside is the design but that's personal preference and it's got an older processor. Don't get the non-4G/LTE version of the TicWatch Pro because it has only 512MB compared to 1GB and it makes a big difference for performance.

Samsung's are pretty good and run their own Tizen OS but I hear you only get the most out of them with Samsung phones. Not 100% sure.

I believe all these devices have Black Friday deals going on right now so make sure he chooses sooner than later.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: dubt17

tfn

May 31, 2010
London
Depending what He wants you can also look at Fitbit.
Mine shows time, heart rate and sleep besides the usual walking running etc and are cheaper and have longer battery life then some of the more expensive ones.

Reactions: WolfKingDice

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Ran into issues with LTE on my Galaxy Active Watch 2 and the Pixel 4 XL.

Besides that, my battery life has suffered while on the watch. I used to average a decent 6 hours of SoT, it's down to about 5 now when I've got a notification heavy day. ymmv

insang-droid

Sep 24, 2013
I have Garmin Fenix 5x. 12 to 14 days between charges.
Garmin has bunch of smart watches for active people. It's function as smart watch is limited, but you get all the notification. Which was all i needed

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: masi0

mkpansare

Oct 7, 2008
Boston
I own both Samsung Gear Sport and Fitbit Versa 2. If you want fast smartwatch with a lots of features, go with Samsung smartwatches (but battery life will be ~2 days, 3 days if you turn off always on display).

If you are okay with some less functionality and great battery life, go with Versa 2 (I get around 5 days battery life with 24 hr use, except removing for an hour or so in a day, I dont turn on always on display which reduces battery life by 1.5 days)

navalynt

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 12, 2009
Anchorage, AK
www.mikeandjessee.com
I have the Galaxy Watch Active 2 44mm, my wife as the 40mm. Both are Bluetooth/WiFi models. The 44mm gets ~3 days of battery life, the 40mm gets just over a day. I've never really seen the appeal of paying for LTE on a watch if I always have my phone on me.

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
I have a Fossil Q Explorist 4 HR. I love it. It looks like a nice watch, so I wear it to the office and pretty much whatever. I also use it at the gym. It has a bigger screen that a lot of smartwatches, which I have to have. The others are just to small for me to read them well. I've also had the Samsung Gear S2 and S3. I liked them, but dealing with Samsung support is the worst, so I had to move away from them. I ALMOST bought a Fossil gen 5 when they were on sale last week. But, I can't justify $200+ per year on smartwatches. Anyway, can't go wrong with Fossil. I also prefer WearOS to Samsung's Tizen and the Fitbit OS (my wife has the Blaze).

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Don't buy anything without 1 gig of memory, the fellow above had it right, performance is vastly better than anything with less. As to the GUI wear plays out similarly in use across all devices so it isn't really a factor. If it's me I go with the Gen 5 Fossil and I say that having had both it and the TicWatch. Both these watches have a few value adds that the other does not but the main difference is battery life, you'll go further on the Gen 5 without invoking various battery saving features that turn your smartwatch into a not so smartwatch. Realistically a smartwatch that isn't smart isn't much of a smartwatch so I don't put much value on the super duper battery savings features, if I did I'd go back to the TicWatch. It can run for quite some time based on reviews, I can neither confirm or deny in that regard, I have never used said features on any of my smartwatches.

lkhafra

Aug 25, 2009
Columbus
I had the Fossil gen 5 and oh did it suck. I thought it was supposed to be the answer for a good Wear OS watch. I took it back and got the Galaxy watch. I'm so damn happy now. I really wanted the Google Assistant but it's not worth all the drawbacks of Wear OS watch.

rajendra82

Jul 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Galaxy Watch Active 2 battery life is amazing. I put it on the wireless charger when brushing my teeth or taking a shower, and I don't think I have ever fallen below 40%. I let it track sleep, and all my workouts. It just keeps doing its job, while sipping on the juice. I wish android wear devices were this efficient. I miss my Sony Smartwatch 3's Google Assistant and Maps integration, but I don't miss dreading if it is going to die on me. I blame Qualcomm for not innovating on the hardware front, as the the android wear hardware sucks so bad. If they had just kept pace with Samsung and Apple, I wouldn't have switched.