• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Best way to back up non root

Search This thread

alershka

Oct 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
I have plans to go back to a locked bootloader once Android 12 is final. I have an older Pixel 2 XL and I was wondering if it would be possible to copy all apps data and settings to the older pixel then restore them back to the 5 after the bootloader relocking. I was originally going to do the adb backup to a PC but read that some apps like Google Authenticator don't backup via adb. I am trying to figure out the best way to backup prior to relocking.

Thanks!

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I have plans to go back to a locked bootloader once Android 12 is final. I have an older Pixel 2 XL and I was wondering if it would be possible to copy all apps data and settings to the older pixel then restore them back to the 5 after the bootloader relocking. I was originally going to do the adb backup to a PC but read that some apps like Google Authenticator don't backup via adb. I am trying to figure out the best way to backup prior to relocking.

Thanks!
It depends on what type of app data you're talking about. Saved games, forget it without root. Most logins will not be saved either unless you have them saved with Google login. Try it with a couple of apps and see what happens. As for Google authenticator you can install a copy on another device with the new version. Then once you wipe the P5 you can once again transfer the app and data to the P5 from the 2XL.

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I would start here.

-----------------
Why Google Authenticator? Are you trying to keep everything Google, or? Pure curiosity.
When I started using 2 factor a few years back I found it (Google Auth) to be extremely limited,,, and I don't see any updates to it to make me change to it.
Limited password protection, no encrypted backups for one thing,
I don't like Authy either, which seems to be #1, sans its terrible UI (IMO) and I find their multi-device support, just a bad idea, security-wise. What it does have going for it, is a desktop app, but I actually prefer my phone, which is with me umm, 99.999999% of my life.

So, what do I suggest? 2FAS. Its 4.7 star rating is highly deserved. What I do, is use its integrated Google drive sync backup (which can be considered not great for security, so in that case, don't use it (same to be said of Authys multi-device too), but I like it and when you're logged into your Google Account, log into 2FAS and all your tokens are back, HOWEVER, here comes oh the oh sh!t moment. How exactly are you to log into your Google account without having your 2FAS code for Google, because you need to be logged into yor account to get the codes, lol. Well what I do is keep an Encrypted backup on a flash drive, and my Samsung backup drive, as you NEVER know., and it's a good habit. To make things easier however I keep 2FAS logged on my old phone, that isn't really used at all, but in a pinch it's a good method to use.
-----------------

As I don't have much of any idea on the backups, but am interested, so I wish you well. And I would do as @bobby janow suggested. You have a solid number of great apps to try for this, as well. I will firstly suggest Flar2's new AppDash App. He actually also, though I do believe I read he doesn't know much about this, but it has a wonderful backup integration built into it, and can be used without root, which will limit things, but it's a fresh new app, and he may even update based on your experiments, just a thought. Next it Titanium backup I think? I actually never used the app. And then this XAPKS App, which seems to have a backup section much like the one in AppDash, but AppDash, you will probably get much better support for. Also I've read GREAT praises for Swift backup App.

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do, as it will only help others. And, best of luck to you on this, as it's an interesting idea.
I used to do something similar with TWRP.
And a side question, either of you know if our TWRP recovery backup works?

Reactions: bobby janow

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
@andybones I used TWRP so many times over the years. And Titanium backup was the teets. That would backup everything, data, passwords, apps galore. But I believe both of those require root which the OP wants to get around. I'm not sure what happened to TWRP development since I haven't rooted in years but I do kind of keep up now and again. I don't know if it still works like it used to, which means it's time for me to visit the Roms, Kernels, and recoveries forum. ;-)

Yes, Google authenticator is minimalist for sure. But it's really easy to use and does work but I will look into 2FAS, thanks for the link. I tried a few of the backup apps when I unrooted way back when and none worked well without root. But I'm sure a lot has changed. I'd be curious to see when the OP comes up with too. On a side note I really hope the P6 is not too large looking. haha. I'd so love to stick with Android. Should be soon when we know. One last thing on backup, I always do a backup of my text and phone calls with SMS backup and restore SMS even though transfer to a new device usually does the trick. But once I lost a bunch of stuff due to user error in the upgrade.

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
@andybones I used TWRP so many times over the years. And Titanium backup was the teets. That would backup everything, data, passwords, apps galore. But I believe both of those require root which the OP wants to get around. I'm not sure what happened to TWRP development since I haven't rooted in years but I do kind of keep up now and again. I don't know if it still works like it used to, which means it's time for me to visit the Roms, Kernels, and recoveries forum. ;-)

Yes, Google authenticator is minimalist for sure. But it's really easy to use and does work but I will look into 2FAS, thanks for the link. I tried a few of the backup apps when I unrooted way back when and none worked well without root. But I'm sure a lot has changed. I'd be curious to see when the OP comes up with too. On a side note I really hope the P6 is not too large looking. haha. I'd so love to stick with Android. Should be soon when we know. One last thing on backup, I always do a backup of my text and phone calls with SMS backup and restore SMS even though transfer to a new device usually does the trick. But once I lost a bunch of stuff due to user error in the upgrade.
I LOVE TWRP, such an amazing recovery. I remember when first switching over to it. I always heard such raving reviews about TiBackup, I just never needed it, or maybe I found other alternatives, most likely due to habit. I think I've rooted every single device I've owned of Android since the first HTC Eris, wild ride. I think Encryption and A11 in general is causing slow downs, only guessing however, I believe A10 is rocking. There are a cpl dope ROMs for the P5, and they use a custom limited recovery from my small understanding (It's still new to me that recovery is tied to the boot.img), but also I've read the use of web flash tool, like you can with Google, which is freaking awesome! It's interesting to me to be flashing a ROM to my phone from my PC. I wonder what the fallbacks are on this method though for frozen PC or reboots, ETC.
And, thinking of it, there isn't anything wrong with a minimalist App such as Google Auth, but very welcome for the link, I hope you give 2FAS a try and interested in your thoughts.
It certainly is a different experience of Android without root. Ads & limitations. but still a good experience. It's also strange being rooted on pure stock like I am. It's a nice experience, tbh. A different one than I'm used to, but still really nice.
SMS Backup & Restore, too dope! This was an absolute must for me. I use Signal now, so I need to rely on their backup and restore, as they encrypt them. But it works well, if all goes to h#ll you usually will have a backup within the past couple of days which isn't bad.
And that P6 bro, I'm itching to hold it and see if I can be able to use it. I hope so. This is my first Pixel and I enjoy the experience.
I really miss being able to run and restore nandroids.

Reactions: bobby janow

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Bobby Janow and Andybones have learned me so much. Shout out to both of you.
Thank you so much, and you're so welcome. I know my posts can get long at times. But, the way I see it, I'd rather give MORE information in my initial posts but also hopefully answered your question(s), which will save a post of you asking for more details. This has been an annoyance at times over the years where someone may not give exact Modification naming and version causing myself or others users seeking more needed information that I feel should be standard.

Reactions: michaelbsheldon

mrsiri

Sep 16, 2017

Thanks!
Use Titanium Backup to backup all app data. It needs root. Then just copy paste all backup files to your other phone and restore them.

alershka

Oct 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
It looks like the final version of 12 will be out in a few weeks. I have moved all of my Authentication tokens from Google Authenticator to 2FAS. I only had seven accounts to move so it wasn't horrible. As I mentioned, I still have the Titan key as my primary 2FA for my main Google Account so I should be good to get the phone back up after the relock.

I am am on the latest beta for Android 12 and plan to do the following when the final Android 12 files are available.

Full backup of phone and sdcard using adb
Install Factory Image with Wipe
Relock bootloader
restore adb backup

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Bobby Janow and Andybones have learned me so much. Shout out to both of you.

Thanks!
    It depends on what type of app data you're talking about. Saved games, forget it without root. Most logins will not be saved either unless you have them saved with Google login. Try it with a couple of apps and see what happens. As for Google authenticator you can install a copy on another device with the new version. Then once you wipe the P5 you can once again transfer the app and data to the P5 from the 2XL.
    I would start here.

-----------------
    Why Google Authenticator? Are you trying to keep everything Google, or? Pure curiosity.
    When I started using 2 factor a few years back I found it (Google Auth) to be extremely limited,,, and I don't see any updates to it to make me change to it.
    Limited password protection, no encrypted backups for one thing,
    I don't like Authy either, which seems to be #1, sans its terrible UI (IMO) and I find their multi-device support, just a bad idea, security-wise. What it does have going for it, is a desktop app, but I actually prefer my phone, which is with me umm, 99.999999% of my life.

So, what do I suggest? 2FAS. Its 4.7 star rating is highly deserved. What I do, is use its integrated Google drive sync backup (which can be considered not great for security, so in that case, don't use it (same to be said of Authys multi-device too), but I like it and when you're logged into your Google Account, log into 2FAS and all your tokens are back, HOWEVER, here comes oh the oh sh!t moment. How exactly are you to log into your Google account without having your 2FAS code for Google, because you need to be logged into yor account to get the codes, lol. Well what I do is keep an Encrypted backup on a flash drive, and my Samsung backup drive, as you NEVER know., and it's a good habit. To make things easier however I keep 2FAS logged on my old phone, that isn't really used at all, but in a pinch it's a good method to use.
    -----------------

As I don't have much of any idea on the backups, but am interested, so I wish you well. And I would do as @bobby janow suggested. You have a solid number of great apps to try for this, as well. I will firstly suggest Flar2's new AppDash App. He actually also, though I do believe I read he doesn't know much about this, but it has a wonderful backup integration built into it, and can be used without root, which will limit things, but it's a fresh new app, and he may even update based on your experiments, just a thought. Next it Titanium backup I think? I actually never used the app. And then this XAPKS App, which seems to have a backup section much like the one in AppDash, but AppDash, you will probably get much better support for. Also I've read GREAT praises for Swift backup App.

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do, as it will only help others. And, best of luck to you on this, as it's an interesting idea.
    I used to do something similar with TWRP.
    And a side question, either of you know if our TWRP recovery backup works?

I LOVE TWRP, such an amazing recovery. I remember when first switching over to it. I always heard such raving reviews about TiBackup, I just never needed it, or maybe I found other alternatives, most likely due to habit. I think I've rooted every single device I've owned of Android since the first HTC Eris, wild ride. I think Encryption and A11 in general is causing slow downs, only guessing however, I believe A10 is rocking. There are a cpl dope ROMs for the P5, and they use a custom limited recovery from my small understanding (It's still new to me that recovery is tied to the boot.img), but also I've read the use of web flash tool, like you can with Google, which is freaking awesome! It's interesting to me to be flashing a ROM to my phone from my PC. I wonder what the fallbacks are on this method though for frozen PC or reboots, ETC.
    And, thinking of it, there isn't anything wrong with a minimalist App such as Google Auth, but very welcome for the link, I hope you give 2FAS a try and interested in your thoughts.
    It certainly is a different experience of Android without root. Ads & limitations. but still a good experience. It's also strange being rooted on pure stock like I am. It's a nice experience, tbh. A different one than I'm used to, but still really nice.
    SMS Backup & Restore, too dope! This was an absolute must for me. I use Signal now, so I need to rely on their backup and restore, as they encrypt them. But it works well, if all goes to h#ll you usually will have a backup within the past couple of days which isn't bad.
    And that P6 bro, I'm itching to hold it and see if I can be able to use it. I hope so. This is my first Pixel and I enjoy the experience.
    I really miss being able to run and restore nandroids.