• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Best way to remove "Unlocked Bootloader Warning" and /or "bad key" upon startup?

Search This thread

Greasebob

Jan 22, 2019
Best way to remove "Unlocked Bootloader Warning" and /or "bad key" upon startup?

Have an unlocked rooted Moto G6 (standard) and was wondering whats the current best way to "hide" that the bootloader has been unlocked. I have seen tutorials on replacing it with the "Bad Key" notification, is there a way to hide or change the "bad key" notification?

Thanks!

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Have an unlocked rooted Moto G6 (standard) and was wondering whats the current best way to "hide" that the bootloader has been unlocked. I have seen tutorials on replacing it with the "Bad Key" notification, is there a way to hide or change the "bad key" notification?

Thanks!
If you flashed magisk and removed dm verity, it should say n/a
But it's always going to say that. No matter what

Spaceminer

If you flashed magisk and removed dm verity, it should say n/a
But it's always going to say that. No matter what

This is the perfect time to bring up something I noticed about that. The N/A screen does not appear when using the command "fastboot boot twrp.img". I don't know how fastboot skips that, but finding out would probably give us a fix.

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
This is the perfect time to bring up something I noticed about that. The N/A screen does not appear when using the command "fastboot boot twrp.img". I don't know how fastboot skips that, but finding out would probably give us a fix.
But it still says bad key when the bootloader is unlocked. I thought removing dmverity changed it to n/a
Are you saying there is no message when you fastboot boot TWRP? That is interesting.

Last edited:

Spaceminer

But it still says bad key when the bootloader is unlocked. I thought removing dmverity changed it to n/a
Are you saying there is no message when you fastboot boot TWRP? That is interesting.

No message at all, it will literally insta-boot twrp. Moto splash, then twrp. It's the only time I get to see the splash. I also never get "bad key" unless dm-verity is enabled. But, if you trip dm-verity and then disable it later, I think "bad key" will still show up. Pretty sure that happened to me, and booting the stock recovery then flashing twrp again fixed it. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think that's what happened. I noticed the fastboot thing when I was doing all that work on twrp.

Edit: Didn't mean to repeat what you already knew about dm-verity. I missed that some how. I'm going try grep on the bootloader and hopefully snoop some info about it.

Last edited:

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Can you please explain to me how to do that? I did flash magisk and the phone is rooted. I just want to remove that warning screen, can you please direct me how to do this? Im not sure what it means to remove dm verity.
Magisk should have removed dmverity already. It should say n/a instead of bad key. But I don't know what steps you took to root so I can't say. Mine now says "n/a" in notification. It's always going to have a message. It's just the way it is.

Yiyotop

Feb 15, 2014
Culiacán, Sinaloa
You can Change the "Orange" Logo in the Logo.bin with some image with MotoBootLogoMaker. Then flash it via adb fastboot.
I Use this image, and the annoying "warning bootloader unlocked" dissapear
YHH3I74.png

Greasebob

Jan 22, 2019
Magisk should have removed dmverity already. It should say n/a instead of bad key. But I don't know what steps you took to root so I can't say. Mine now says "n/a" in notification. It's always going to have a message. It's just the way it is.

Mine still boots with the Motorola "Device has been unlocked and cant be trusted" screen. Its a standard G6 model. Steps I took to root were to unlock bootloader, install TWRP and new boot image, and then run Magisk. I then downloaded rootchecker from Google play and it indeed says the phone is rooted.

So Im good to just push the new screenshot binary with ADB fastboot? Is it any easier or better to do it with TWRP as some are saying? Also, if so, how would one do it with TWRP? :confused:

Thanks my friend!

Greasebob

Jan 22, 2019
Fastboot flash logo.bin

Im getting the following when I try to flash the logo.bin:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash logo.bin
< waiting for any device >
unknown partition 'logo.bin'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'logo.bin'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash logo_b logo.bin
target reported max download size of 534773760 bytes
sending 'logo_b' (1436 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.050s]
writing 'logo_b'...
(bootloader) Invalid partition name logo_b
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.050s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash logo_a logo.bin
sending 'logo_a' (1436 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.040s]
writing 'logo_a'...
(bootloader) Invalid partition name logo_a
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.040s

Apparently the logo is in a different directory? Can you help with this?

Greasebob

Jan 22, 2019

OKAY [ 0.050s]
writing 'logo_b'...
FAILED (remote failure)

OKAY [ 0.040s]
writing 'logo_a'...
FAILED (remote failure)

Nevermind I got it! fastboot flash logo logo.bin worked! Now my screen works like a charm!!!!

Yiyotop

Feb 15, 2014
Culiacán, Sinaloa

OKAY [ 0.050s]
writing 'logo_b'...
FAILED (remote failure)

OKAY [ 0.040s]
writing 'logo_a'...
FAILED (remote failure)

Nevermind I got it! fastboot flash logo logo.bin worked! Now my screen works like a charm!!!!

Great, Now Enjoy It! :good::good:

Last edited:

Spaceminer

Where can download the Motorola boot logo maker? I can't find it anywhere on XDA. I get one thread result, which just links to source code for it.

Edit: Think I just found it. Is there a newer one than from 2015?

Last edited:

Greasebob

Jan 22, 2019
Where can download the Motorola boot logo maker? I can't find it anywhere on XDA. I get one thread result, which just links to source code for it.

Edit: Think I just found it. Is there a newer one than from 2015?

I dont know, I just used one of the pretty logo.bin files provided a few pages back, on my standard Moto G6. It worked fine with the proper command, lol.

Slowking

Jul 26, 2011
How can I use adb to pull logo.bin from my G6? Thank you for the help.

While in twrp use: "adb pull /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/logo stocklogo.bin" to dump the stock logo.
Open that up in the editor, dump the normal bootlogo to png, replace the "orange"-logo with the normal bootlogo image, save the logo as a bin.
Finnaly flash the new logo with "fastboot flash logo newlogo.bin"