General Beta 4.1 July 25, 2022 - Android 13 “Tiramisu” - Google puts finishing touches on Android 13 with Beta 4.1 (tpb4.220624.008)

Search This thread

Azerox

Jan 26, 2010
Groningen
I feel like with every update the (gaming) performance goes down.
Feels like they are combating the battery drain in a wrong way.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

July 7, 2022 7:35am Comment Pranob Mehrotra

Android 13’s Restricted setting feature will block malicious apps from accessing your notifications​

Google is introducing a change with Android 13 that will prevent sideloaded apps from abusing the Accessibility APIs. The Restricted Setting feature will block the user from enabling the accessibility service for malicious applications. Upon identifying such an app, the Accessibility settings for that app will become inaccessible, and users will see a “Restricted setting” dialog stating that the setting is currently unavailable. But that’s not all there is to the new feature.
According to Mishaal Rahman, the Restricted setting feature will also block users from enabling an app’s Notification Listener. For the unaware, Android’s NotificationListenerService API lets apps intercept and interact with all notifications on a user’s behalf. If a malicious app gets access to the API, it can read all incoming notifications and get access to sensitive information. Android 13’s Restricted setting feature prevents that for all apps sideloaded using a non-session-based package installer.

Since most app stores use the session-based package installer, this restriction won’t apply to apps downloaded from app stores. It will only block apps that users sideload from outside of app stores, like through a browser or messaging app. However, there is a workaround to prevent the feature from blocking access for sideloaded apps.

Rahman notes that it’s “possible to acknowledge the restricted setting dialog and then re-enable access” to the Accessibility settings. You can learn more about the workaround in this blog post.

Featured image credit: Mishaal Rahman

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Yeah also can't manually install Vanced as it comes preloaded with a newer version of YouTube/YouTube music. Honestly the differences between 12 to 13 seem so minor that it's not worth updating for what I use on a daily basis. Kinda disappointing to be honest.
There's a couple different methods outlined in this article to downgrade to earlier versions of an app, including split APKs like YouTube. I'm on A13 but haven't tried these methods yet. May work to get an earlier version of YouTube installed so Vanced will install. I installed NewPipe instead but may give this a go at some point.

jericho246

Yeah also can't manually install Vanced as it comes preloaded with a newer version of YouTube/YouTube music. Honestly the differences between 12 to 13 seem so minor that it's not worth updating for what I use on a daily basis. Kinda disappointing to be honest.

I haven't been able to use Vanced for a while, even on A12. It installs but it will crash upon opening. I had to switch to NewPipe.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

scott.hart.bti

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 19, 2012
Reading

scott.hart.bti

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 19, 2012
Reading
There's a couple different methods outlined in this article to downgrade to earlier versions of an app, including split APKs like YouTube. I'm on A13 but haven't tried these methods yet. May work to get an earlier version of YouTube installed so Vanced will install. I installed NewPipe instead but may give this a go at some point.

Nice. Figured there would be a few ways but didn't bother looking into it much. Already switched back to 12. If you do happen to try it, can you let us know how it works out?

Reactions: jcp2 and Lughnasadh

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
Will definitely let you know if it works if I try it 👍
There are easier ways to do it with root =).

*Edit* -This is A13 B3.3. My apologies for not specifying as I do not remember if there are visual differences in the home screen between A12 and A13 lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220707-191518.png
    Screenshot_20220707-191518.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Forsh

Jan 7, 2010
Hi all. Just to say, I was having major stability issues soon after starting the 13.3 beta. I've just done a factory reset and it's 1000% better. I notice a few cosmetic changes too which I think must have not been working before. Signal still appears poor but it's only been 30 mins. I have half my signal bar filled but I live in a city and near a radio mast, so I should have 3/4 or full. No comment on battery.

Edit - signal is definitely poorer than A12.1 and worse than my previous 2 phones which I just booted up to test. After 2 days it seems that battery life is slightly better after a factory reset but poorer than A12.1 which already is not great. I've also noticed several apps have crashed - tiktok and Instagram during use. But the more I use them the less they crash.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

It works same way it did in Android 12. Been using it since Beta 1 on Pixel 4a.

This used to require some patches in the magisk install and funny reboot stuff but that's been all rolled into a single zip here: https://github.com/programminghoch10/ViPER4AndroidRepackaged
    Perhaps it is because of Pixel 6/6 Pro. It is working fine with A12 on both the Pixel 6/6 Pro, however with A13, it gives driver looping, so far, I never see anyone able to have it working with Pixel 6/6 Pro on A13, the repackaged one which you had quoted has no exception.
    I might've found a solution for my issue. It probably was DSDS (Dual SIM Dual Standby) which was turned on. However, I have a physical sim and a eSIM but only one of them was actually enabled. DSDS was always turned on. Tested it out this night, and screen off drain was 0.7%/h. Much less than before.

To turn off DSDS: Type *#*#4636#*#* in dialer and select first menu Option and there uncheck DSDS
    Appears so...

Beta 4: radio-raven-g5123b-102852-220704-b-8796503
    Beta 4.1: radio-raven-g5123b-102852-220713-b-8828409
    Indeed! In case someone needs it, I'm uploading the latest radio from Beta 4.1 (see attached file) for the P6P.
    Note that for anyone who wants to Beta test Nova Launcher v8.0, it's available and one of the changes is "Android 13 fixes". I don't know what that includes, and I'm not using Android 13.

You can opt into the Beta through the Play Store entry for Nova Launcher, or you can find it through Nova Launcher's Discord server.
    "Google’s three latest phones are getting a “Fix for GPS location failure under certain conditions.” For the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, this is still just the July security patch, while the 6a is likely still on the June patch level."

Guess that explains the surprise new July builds, in part at least...
    Non-important statement incoming - but thank jeebus for that fix, haha. I never had a GPS issue in GMaps on the previous A13Beta builds, however, the app that I use to buy gas couldn't determine my location and wouldn't allow me to make gas purchases. So, this was certainly a beneficial change for me.
    Android 13 something Beta 4.1

eecbcf5012785c409433fe2dc2cbac31431751af7414c47f3beb6381035c37d6

Release notes​

Beta 4.1

Release date: July 25, 2022
    Build: TPB4.220624.008
    Emulator support: x86 (64-bit), ARM (v8-A)
    Security patch level: July 2022
    Google Play services: 22.21.16
    API diff:

Android 13 Beta 4.1 (July 2022)

This minor update includes the following fixes:

• Fixed an issue that prevented an app from enabling or disabling Bluetooth if it didn't have the BLUETOOTH_CONNECT permission, even though the app was targeting an API level where the permission is not required. (Issue #232107689)
    • Fixed issues that sometimes caused a device to crash and reboot when connecting to certain WiFi networks. (Issue #237308339, Issue #237886229, Issue #237878437)
    • Fixed an issue where Meet connectivity could drop while driving.
    • Fixed an issue where the system could incorrectly interpret GPS data.
    TL;DR:
    Android 13 Beta 4.1

eecbcf5012785c409433fe2dc2cbac31431751af7414c47f3beb6381035c37d6

Release notes​

Beta 4.1

Release date: July 25, 2022
    Build: TPB4.220624.008
    Security patch level: July 2022
    API diff:

Android 13 Beta 4.1 (July 2022)

This minor update includes the following fixes:

• Fixed an issue that prevented an app from enabling or disabling Bluetooth if it didn't have the BLUETOOTH_CONNECT permission, even though the app was targeting an API level where the permission is not required. (Issue #232107689)
    • Fixed issues that sometimes caused a device to crash and reboot when connecting to certain WiFi networks. (Issue #237308339, Issue #237886229, Issue #237878437)
    • Fixed an issue where Meet connectivity could drop while driving.
    • Fixed an issue where the system could incorrectly interpret GPS data.
    Yet another Beta of 13, Beta 3.3:

Pixel 6 Proraven-tpb3.220617.002-factory-1acb43a3.zip1acb43a3d082b8d2cd16cba834c1b1de25042c5d5122483bbf54ff4a16682186

Android 13 Beta 3.3 (June 2022)
    Release date: June 27, 2022
    Build: TPB3.220617.002
    Security patch level: June 2022
    API diff:

If you’re already running a Developer Preview or Beta build, you will automatically receive an over-the-air (OTA) update to Beta 3.3.

This minor update to Android 13 Beta 3 includes stability and performance improvements as well as the following fixes:

• Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher where if the Always show keyboard option was enabled for the app drawer, then when the user closed the app drawer and opened an app folder on the Home screen, the keyboard was erroneously shown as well. (Issue #236584457)
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases, such as gesturing to go back, the system UI crashed. (Issue #236558007)
    • Fixed an issue where devices couldn't connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
    • Fixed an issue where the BluetoothManagerService continued to try and bind to the TbsService even when bluetooth.profile.ccp.server.enabled was false, leading to slow performance and cold starts for apps.
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases after a device was plugged in to charge (for example, overnight), the device would become unresponsive until it was rebooted.
    • Fixed a kernel issue with lib/list_debug.c that caused a kernel panic in certain cases on some devices.
    • Fixed an issue with the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager that caused slow UI rendering, unresponsiveness in apps, and poor battery performance in some cases.

June 27, 2022 2:30pm Comment Skanda Hazarika

Google rolls out Android 13 Beta 3.3 with a bunch of bug fixes​

The beta branch of Android 13 just picked up a new bug-squashing update. Following in the footsteps of Android 13 Beta 3’s earlier incremental updates, this new release fixes a whole bunch of issues, including slow UI rendering, inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, system UI crashes, and a few other problems.
    The build number of Android 13 Beta 3.3 is TPB3.220617.002. There is no change in the security patch level, though, hence it’s still June 2022 on this release. You can find the full list of published fixes in this update below:
    • Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher where if the Always show keyboard option was enabled for the app drawer, then when the user closed the app drawer and opened an app folder on the Home screen, the keyboard was erroneously shown as well. (Issue #236584457)
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases, such as gesturing to go back, the system UI crashed. (Issue #236558007)
    • Fixed an issue where devices couldn’t connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
    • Fixed an issue where the BluetoothManagerService continued to try and bind to the TbsService even when bluetooth.profile.ccp.server.enabled was false, leading to slow performance and cold starts for apps.
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases after a device was plugged in to charge (for example, overnight), the device would become unresponsive until it was rebooted.
    • Fixed a kernel issue with lib/list_debug.c that caused a kernel panic in certain cases on some devices.
    • Fixed an issue with the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager that caused slow UI rendering, unresponsiveness in apps, and poor battery performance in some cases.
    Apart from the aforementioned bug fixes, the update also bumps the Google Play services version from 22.18.19 to 22.21.16.
    In case your Google Pixel device is already enrolled in the Android 13 beta program, you will automatically receive an over-the-air update to Beta 3.3. You can also download the full OTA or the factory image from the link below if you want to manually upgrade to the latest beta release.
    Download Android 13 Beta 3.3

Source: Android Beta Program on Reddit
    All, this is not a thread for opinions about the Pixel 6/Pro in general, nor is it a thread made for rants. Opinions specifically about Android 13 are fine. I know there have been a few posts that have nothing specific to do with Android 13 and I've let it go. If anyone wants to make posts that don't address anything specifically about Android 13, there are many, many threads in this section where that has taken place.

I know, because I used to read every post in this section but now I avoid the threads that contain those kinds of posts, and I'd like to not see them here in this thread. Any further posts of those types will be deleted as off-topic.
    I think Magisk removed the need to pass the vbmeta disable verity/verification flag with Canary 24303. Here's a quote related to a kernel issue from yujincheng08 (LoveSy):

"Let me clarify the things.
    Magisk was used to modify the fstab to inject Magisk components, and in the meantime, Magisk stipped avb_key and avb flags for all partitions. So, that 24300 works is just a side effect and has no insurance.
    Now Magisk changed its way of injecting Magisk components, and it will no longer modify the fstab, and the side effect was thus gone together with the refactorization. Some configurations that rely on the fact that Magisk will strip those verification flags will no longer work, and that's expected. Users should disable the verification themselves since they are expected to have unlocked bootloaders."

This all relates to problems with custom kernels and Magisk, but may have further implications for us. Check out more in the issue here..

Good spot. Seeing as how that's now intended behaviour, I guess wiping and disabling verification is all our best moves from here.

I'll take this moment to suggest investing in Swift Backup and setting up an automatic backup that runs periodically, so long as you have root it makes wiping pretty much a non-issue.
    New Pixel 6 modem included!

g5123b-102852-220609-b-8701566