• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Better to restore data after Factory Reset or start afresh?

Search This thread

killerwaz

Oct 16, 2021
By data, I mean apps here mostly. I have faced freezing, crashing and auto reboot after the former two, on my Chinese variant with Indian Oxygen OS. I have reinstalled the latest 11.2.9.9 twice, and then factory resetted. Need to know whether it's a good idea to download apps manually, or restore data, after so much wiping.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Clean slate or risk another reset🤣
The whole reason for a factory reset is you couldn't find the root cause, corruption, a boot loop, the wrong value on a hidden user setting or undeletable malware.
Scrutinize what you install carefully; take out the trash. Only takes one bad 3rd party app to screw up the load...

killerwaz

Oct 16, 2021
Clean slate or risk another reset🤣
The whole reason for a factory reset is you couldn't find the root cause, corruption, a boot loop, the wrong value on a hidden user setting or undeletable malware.
Scrutinize what you install carefully; take out the trash. Only takes one bad 3rd party app to screw up the load...
Yeah didn't help, it still froze and rebooted automatically. I didn't install any app, other than the default Google apps that were installed at launch. I am guessing it's clashing with Google, or the device is plain faulty?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Rom is corrupted. Reflash.
If it continues with a known good rom it's likely a mobo failure. That's my guess.

I run stock, so far never have had to reflash, but I also don't do updates if it's running well.
Android has been on a snake eyes losing streak since Pie and especially Q🤮🤮🤢

killerwaz

Oct 16, 2021
Rom is corrupted. Reflash.
If it continues with a known good rom it's likely a mobo failure. That's my guess.

I run stock, so far never have had to reflash, but I also don't do updates if it's running well.
Android has been on a snake eyes losing streak since Pie and especially Q🤮🤮🤢
I downloaded stock ROM from right here in XDA. It was running fine. The same problems that ensued before flashing, was the same problem that ensued after flashing. Freeze/crash and reboot. I am currently keeping it turned on in Crashdump mode, so that I can straight up show it to the seller.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I downloaded stock ROM from right here in XDA. It was running fine. The same problems that ensued before flashing, was the same problem that ensued after flashing. Freeze/crash and reboot. I am currently keeping it turned on in Crashdump mode, so that I can straight up show it to the seller.
Yeah...
Sounds like the mobo... sorry.

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
For me Clean means wipe everything and start fresh.
If i restore i don't see the point to wipe/erase all the phone. Apps cache & data witch may cause the problems is still there.
That's my opinion. You do what you want with your phone.

I would be interested in a tutorial for OnePlus 9 Pro how to do a Clean flash like we did years ago. With Data wipe in recovery or in ADB, then do a clean flash. Without any bricks

Last edited:

benhidalgo

Dec 13, 2012
Hard reset and start fresh. At this stage, being a new device, the OS might not be able to get rid of the dirt.

Top Liked Posts