• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Better user titles....

Search This thread

liamwli

Jan 31, 2011
Ilford, London
At the moment there are 3 normal user titles I am aware of:

(Something I forgot)

I think that xda should make some more, and make them more relevant to the theme of the forum.

Also, if we could have custom user titles, that would be great!

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
Already been posted...perhaps Search practice might be useful?
XDA Search Video

I'll sum it up for you (or try, anyway!) :p

There are Junior Members, Members, Senior Members first. These make up the vast majority of XDAs userbase.

Recognised Contributors are nominated by other users and/or Mods/Developers. They are recognised for their contributions which are not specifically Development, such as detailed guides, one-click utilities and other tools/mods.

Recognised Themers are also nominated by users/Mods/Developers, for their work themeing custom ROMs and providing standalone themes for flashing.

Recognised Developers are nominated and approved by the Developer Committee, for their work in Development whether it be ROMs, Root methods, bootloader unlocks etc.

Elite Recognised Developers are again assessed by the Developer Committee, and are deemed to have gone above-and-beyond in providing knowledge/hacks/tools/apps/ROMs for the XDA community.

Forum Moderators are appointed by the Moderator Committee, after submitting an application (see the 'sticky' at the top of this forum - currently applications are not open). They are the first-line of keeping the forums tidy, friendly and orderly.

Senior Moderators are the next step up the ladder, providing site-wide support for Forum Mods and looking after the nitty-gritty issues, as well as areas of XDA not policed by FSMs, such as the Marketplace.

Administrators are next. There are several Admins - each look after a specific part of XDA such as the Portal, the Members and the User Experience of XDA as a whole.

At the top is Mike Channon, who is overall Forum Administrator.

Other titles you may come across:

Moderator Committee - sits on the Mod Committee
Developer Committee - as above, but for Developer Committee
XDA Newswriter - publishes articles for the Portal (front page)
Retired xxxx - have since officially 'left' their XDA position

Hopefully that clears most of them up for you :)

Contrary to what a lot of people expect, the thanks-meter does not figure at all in determining a users tag.

The Archangel

Sep 2, 2010
Virginia beach
Hmm. Did you read the post? I was saying for better ones - not giving a list!

That wouldn't really do anything useful honesty. The titles we have now are just fine an serve their purpose perfectly.

Also adding new titles would drive the mods nuts, having to decide who deserves what an why. Then having to remove titles from people who abuse it.

Honestly, be glad with what you got, no offense.

liamwli

Jan 31, 2011
Ilford, London
That wouldn't really do anything useful honesty. The titles we have now are just fine an serve their purpose perfectly.

Also adding new titles would drive the mods nuts, having to decide who deserves what an why. Then having to remove titles from people who abuse it.

Honestly, be glad with what you got, no offense.
Loads of offence taken. And I was really talking about the main titles - the ones that normally update, but no matter :)

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK
I agree with the OP, we should either rase the post count for Snr Member as everybody is one of them nowadays or have more ranks at much higher post rates.

Reactions: liamwli

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
Too be honest, I can't see this happening. Especially custom titles as a simply do not have the time to spend policing the utter crap that people would enter into that field.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

liamwli

Jan 31, 2011
Ilford, London
Too be honest, I can't see this happening. Especially custom titles as a simply do not have the time to spend policing the utter crap that people would enter into that field.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

I didn't think we would get custom user titles, but why cant we have better, more suited to the site user titles?

At the moment, they are using the default vB ones..

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
I didn't think we would get custom user titles, but why cant we have better, more suited to the site user titles?

Because tbh the only titles of relevance are the recognised titles and anything else would only serve to lengthen somebodys e-peen, which is not something we want to encourage.

Sent From My Fingers To Your Face.....

University of Pi

Aug 31, 2011
Rochester, NY
there is no reason for anything beyond senior member because with anyone who has made 500 posts the thank count is more useful anyways...

although maybe something thanks based...
like after the title for every bar
ex Senior Member IX, Junior Member II, Member IV, etc

just a cool idea for IF admins are going to add/change titles and/or the titling system

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Already been posted...perhaps Search practice might be useful?
    XDA Search Video

I'll sum it up for you (or try, anyway!) :p

There are Junior Members, Members, Senior Members first. These make up the vast majority of XDAs userbase.

Recognised Contributors are nominated by other users and/or Mods/Developers. They are recognised for their contributions which are not specifically Development, such as detailed guides, one-click utilities and other tools/mods.

Recognised Themers are also nominated by users/Mods/Developers, for their work themeing custom ROMs and providing standalone themes for flashing.

Recognised Developers are nominated and approved by the Developer Committee, for their work in Development whether it be ROMs, Root methods, bootloader unlocks etc.

Elite Recognised Developers are again assessed by the Developer Committee, and are deemed to have gone above-and-beyond in providing knowledge/hacks/tools/apps/ROMs for the XDA community.

Forum Moderators are appointed by the Moderator Committee, after submitting an application (see the 'sticky' at the top of this forum - currently applications are not open). They are the first-line of keeping the forums tidy, friendly and orderly.

Senior Moderators are the next step up the ladder, providing site-wide support for Forum Mods and looking after the nitty-gritty issues, as well as areas of XDA not policed by FSMs, such as the Marketplace.

Administrators are next. There are several Admins - each look after a specific part of XDA such as the Portal, the Members and the User Experience of XDA as a whole.

At the top is Mike Channon, who is overall Forum Administrator.

Other titles you may come across:

Moderator Committee - sits on the Mod Committee
    Developer Committee - as above, but for Developer Committee
    XDA Newswriter - publishes articles for the Portal (front page)
    Retired xxxx - have since officially 'left' their XDA position

Hopefully that clears most of them up for you :)

Contrary to what a lot of people expect, the thanks-meter does not figure at all in determining a users tag.

Because tbh the only titles of relevance are the recognised titles and anything else would only serve to lengthen somebodys e-peen, which is not something we want to encourage.

Sent From My Fingers To Your Face.....
    Now you know what I was saying :)

I'll bring it up with the other mods an see what they think.
    It's been brought up before and the admins don't want rampant posters driving their count up just to get unique titles.

* iTouched Epic
    I agree with the OP, we should either rase the post count for Snr Member as everybody is one of them nowadays or have more ranks at much higher post rates.