General ***Beware*** New AT&T S21 Ultras

Search This thread

rawhide85

Nov 20, 2009
FL, USA
Just went to pick up my new S21 Ultra 512 from AT&T and it shipped with v2 firmware. As of now the bootloader is not unlockable! Needless to say, I returned without even opening the box. That sucks!

Reactions: blackhawk

rawhide85

Nov 20, 2009
FL, USA
part0.jpg

SW/VER: The 5th number from the right (2). This number has to be a 1 for the bootloader to be unlockable.

rawhide85

Nov 20, 2009
FL, USA
If not on the box, in the "About Phone" menu under settings. I was looking to purchase a New factory unlocked phone on Ebay but the seller cannot provide the FW version. So, no go. Cheers

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    Nope, none of the SM-G998U's are offered with Unlocked Bootloaders and at this time there are no options available to unlock these devices.
    Yep. You could pay like $150 to unlock the bootloader in the past, but if you updated the phone at all within the last 2.5 months, you'll be stuck with a locked bootloader. Hopefully someone manages to find a solution to unlock the bootloader completely without having to manipulate the steady partition. I literally only want root and I'm stuck without it for...well... forever, potentially... Which kinda stinks without having a Pixel this time... My last phone being a Pixel 3 had me a bit spoiled, as even if it wasn't rooted there still wouldn't be ads everywhere, lol.

Reactions: rawhide85

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Yep. You could pay like $150 to unlock the bootloader in the past, but if you updated the phone at all within the last 2.5 months, you'll be stuck with a locked bootloader. Hopefully someone manages to find a solution to unlock the bootloader completely without having to manipulate the steady partition. I literally only want root and I'm stuck without it for...well... forever, potentially... Which kinda stinks without having a Pixel this time... My last phone being a Pixel 3 had me a bit spoiled, as even if it wasn't rooted there still wouldn't be ads everywhere, lol.

You have ads on the OS, system apps?

This:
    I use Karma Firewall as well. Both use very little battery. Zero issues with both.
    Rooting be much more trouble than it be worth even if I could on the Note 10+... it's runs nicely now.

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    You have ads on the OS, system apps?

This:
    I use Karma Firewall as well. Both use very little battery. Zero issues with both.
    Rooting be much more trouble than it be worth
    All of the Samsung apps have ads built-in - so not necessarily the 'true' system apps. Thankfully enough, I've already removed all of those crummy apps over adb. But I've already tried things like fully customized AdGuard, but those just don't do the job for me. I'm a nerdy person, so I like having the full system rights and rooting my phones. But aside from that, AdAway is just a better service and keeps out the ads that things like AdGuard miss.

But all in all, let's just hope that us US nerds with Samsung phones get lucky and get an exploit leaked that allows for Snapdragon 888 Samsung phones in North America to be bootloader unlocked!

*Edit* - read my post again and I realized that my bottom statement is as likely as winning the mega millions lottery lol.

*Edit 2.0* - Response to @blackhawk:
    It seems like Samsung's non-essential apps all have ads now. So things like their members app, the galaxy store, the weather app, Samsung Pay, etc. But the default frequently used apps (like messages and phone) don't seem to have any ads. But I've also removed every single Samsung app at this point and have loaded my phone with all Google apps for a little extra reliability.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    All of the Samsung apps have ads built-in - so not necessarily the 'true' system apps. Thankfully enough, I've already removed all of those crummy apps over adb. But I've already tried things like fully customized AdGuard, but those just don't do the job for me. I'm a nerdy person, so I like having the full system rights and rooting my phones. But aside from that, AdAway is just a better service and keeps out the ads that things like AdGuard miss.

But all in all, let's just hope that us US nerds with Samsung phones get lucky and get an exploit leaked that allows for Snapdragon 888 Samsung phones in North America to be bootloader unlocked!

*Edit* - read my post again and I realized that my bottom statement is as likely as winning the mega millions lottery lol.

I don't think any of the Samsung apps I use on my N10+ have ads. Is this something new?

kipue

• Sep 3, 2009
    Hong Kong

I'm like you, but there are too many downsides to root on this device.
    I've avoided Samsung since they started making it hard on their phones, since s6 I believe.
    Have had Nexus and then OP...
    Where I live, Samsung pay is just too useful, and I lived without it before and now I don't dare to break it on this device.
    I see that as an "flashing holiday", which will last a couple years considering the price of the device!
    Too bad, I used rooting aside from custom ROMs for system wide adblocking in the past, I found it very convenient...

Reactions: rawhide85

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    Where I live, Samsung pay is just too useful, and I lived without it before and now I don't dare to break it on this device.
    I see that as an "flashing holiday", which will last a couple years considering the price of the device!
    Too bad, I used rooting aside from custom ROMs for system wide adblocking in the past, I found it very convenient...
    Totally understandable as Samsung Pay was the only Samsung app that I consistently used and it was super nifty! Unfortunately, they've permanently disabled it in North America (no more MST support) on the S21 series. So I'd much rather have root being that I reside in NA =(.
    I'll just have to get extremely lucky to get root access though...

varcor

• Jul 15, 2017
    San Diego
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    Yes, technically it is possible on select devices depending on the update status but how many users are we talking about? Who would ignore updates for months then out of the blue decide to pay someone to root their device and forego future updates, almost no one! If root is a high priority then aquire a Galaxy with the unlocked bootloader or a different make altogether, they're much more practical considerations.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Misterxtc

Misterxtc

• Jul 11, 2019
    Syracuse
    Yes, technically it is possible on select devices depending on the update status but how many users are we talking about? Who would ignore updates for months then out of the blue decide to pay someone to root their device and forego future updates, almost no one! If root is a high priority then aquire a Galaxy with the unlocked bootloader or a different make altogether, they're much more practical considerations.
    I agree, this is why I traded in two rooted Samsung phones. Not being able to fully update without loosing the unlock killed it for me. Thankfully I didn't loose all that much cash with the trade ins. I'm perfectly fine with my unrooted S21 Ultra and ADB. I won't root again unless it's a Pixel.

Reactions: varcor

Top Liked Posts