General ***Beware*** New AT&T S21 Ultras

Search This thread

varcor

• Jul 15, 2017
    San Diego
    I agree, this is why I traded in two rooted Samsung phones. Not being able to fully update without loosing the unlock killed it for me. Thankfully I didn't loose all that much cash with the trade ins. I'm perfectly fine with my unrooted S21 Ultra and ADB. I won't root again unless it's a Pixel.
    Root access is fine if you're a developer and like to tinker with devices however the vast majority of users don't need root since UI's are cleaner than previous versions. Add in the negative effects, losing updates, knox security, warranty, secure folders, pay and health options not to mention users ending up with a brick when attempting to install custom roms. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a valuable, well thought out custom setup but consider the drawbacks before you impead your device’s inherent functionality.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Misterxtc

Geekser

May 18, 2017
    Milwaukee
    ShimmeringGlass.com
    From what I have seen, Locked Bootloaders for phones from (ATT, TMO, VER, etc) is standard for virtually all Samsung Devices and has been for quite a few years. There have been a few exceptions where a developer has come up with a way to root, but that has been few and far between (and often comes with a cost for each person who wants to root (paid to the developer who is doing the root for you).

I hope you are able to find a way to do what you want...best of luck.

Reactions: rawhide85

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @varcor - No one can argue your logic. You are right on point with the rooting of devices today. With that said, for me it is as much a challenge as it has become a sort of hobby. I look forward to @afaneh92 finding an exploit for the v2 firmware. Fingers crossed! Cheers
      Yep. You could pay like $150 to unlock the bootloader in the past, but if you updated the phone at all within the last 2.5 months, you'll be stuck with a locked bootloader. Hopefully someone manages to find a solution to unlock the bootloader completely without having to manipulate the steady partition. I literally only want root and I'm stuck without it for...well... forever, potentially... Which kinda stinks without having a Pixel this time... My last phone being a Pixel 3 had me a bit spoiled, as even if it wasn't rooted there still wouldn't be ads everywhere, lol.
      Yes, technically it is possible on select devices depending on the update status but how many users are we talking about? Who would ignore updates for months then out of the blue decide to pay someone to root their device and forego future updates, almost no one! If root is a high priority then aquire a Galaxy with the unlocked bootloader or a different make altogether, they're much more practical considerations.
      Yes, technically it is possible on select devices depending on the update status but how many users are we talking about? Who would ignore updates for months then out of the blue decide to pay someone to root their device and forego future updates, almost no one! If root is a high priority then aquire a Galaxy with the unlocked bootloader or a different make altogether, they're much more practical considerations.
      I agree, this is why I traded in two rooted Samsung phones. Not being able to fully update without loosing the unlock killed it for me. Thankfully I didn't loose all that much cash with the trade ins. I'm perfectly fine with my unrooted S21 Ultra and ADB. I won't root again unless it's a Pixel.
      Root access is fine if you're a developer and like to tinker with devices however the vast majority of users don't need root since UI's are cleaner than previous versions. Add in the negative effects, losing updates, knox security, warranty, secure folders, pay and health options not to mention users ending up with a brick when attempting to install custom roms. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a valuable, well thought out custom setup but consider the drawbacks before you impead your device’s inherent functionality.
      From what I have seen, Locked Bootloaders for phones from (ATT, TMO, VER, etc) is standard for virtually all Samsung Devices and has been for quite a few years. There have been a few exceptions where a developer has come up with a way to root, but that has been few and far between (and often comes with a cost for each person who wants to root (paid to the developer who is doing the root for you).

I hope you are able to find a way to do what you want...best of luck.
      @varcor - No one can argue your logic. You are right on point with the rooting of devices today. With that said, for me it is as much a challenge as it has become a sort of hobby. I look forward to @afaneh92 finding an exploit for the v2 firmware. Fingers crossed! Cheers
      How do you tell if it has V2 firmware, my box doesn't say. Just software version G998USQU2AUB5
      part0.jpg

SW/VER: The 5th number from the right (2). This number has to be a 1 for the bootloader to be unlockable.
      Samsung and AT&T partnered... what could go wrong?🤣
      Mine is the number 1 (from att) but I don't see the "oem unlock" in developer options
      You would need to use the paid service to unlock yours. Don't take any updates if you are interested but I would weigh out the pros and cons already mentioned before you make a decision. The people involved with the unlock are very helpful.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone