Bewildered beginner here to learn from the winners...

Search This thread

XDA-Padawan

Jan 29, 2022
I wish I could list even one awesome coding skill to contribute to XDA, but the truth is the other way around - it's the developers here who've been contributing to me for the past several years as I've struggled to navigate the ever-winding road of Android. I came here completely green, not a single line of code to call mine, and had to look up every other word in the posts, only to have to look up the words in the definitions as well.
I remember that time very well, as I was armed with the new Nexus 5 Hammerhead running KitKat 4.4.4, and all I wanted to do more than anything in the world was this really cool thing I'd heard about called 'rooting.' Didn't even know what I could do with a rooted phone back then, especially since it was my very first smartphone. And somehow, some way, with the help of the posts here on XDA, I managed to gain root privileges on my first try. Bragging rights? Nah. Not until it's revealed that it only took me 3 weeks of delving my phone's deepest corners before finally discovering this amazing secret where anything I deleted instead got doubled, which allowed me to finally achieve the world record of filling up a phone's memory with useless data faster than The Competitor could get hit with planned obsolescence lawsuits. Now that's fast, indeed.
On a more serious note, there has actually been one question I've seen posted recently that I realized I could have easily helped someone with, had I an account here. Thus, what you see before you. Of course it will probably turn out to be the only question I'll come across here that I can answer, but someone needs me the way I've needed you and if I could help even just one person, then here I go...

orb_selektor

Forum Moderator - Welcomer
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
I wish I could list even one awesome coding skill to contribute to XDA, but the truth is the other way around - it's the developers here who've been contributing to me for the past several years as I've struggled to navigate the ever-winding road of Android. I came here completely green, not a single line of code to call mine, and had to look up every other word in the posts, only to have to look up the words in the definitions as well.
I remember that time very well, as I was armed with the new Nexus 5 Hammerhead running KitKat 4.4.4, and all I wanted to do more than anything in the world was this really cool thing I'd heard about called 'rooting.' Didn't even know what I could do with a rooted phone back then, especially since it was my very first smartphone. And somehow, some way, with the help of the posts here on XDA, I managed to gain root privileges on my first try. Bragging rights? Nah. Not until it's revealed that it only took me 3 weeks of delving my phone's deepest corners before finally discovering this amazing secret where anything I deleted instead got doubled, which allowed me to finally achieve the world record of filling up a phone's memory with useless data faster than The Competitor could get hit with planned obsolescence lawsuits. Now that's fast, indeed.
On a more serious note, there has actually been one question I've seen posted recently that I realized I could have easily helped someone with, had I an account here. Thus, what you see before you. Of course it will probably turn out to be the only question I'll come across here that I can answer, but someone needs me the way I've needed you and if I could help even just one person, then here I go...
Nice intro!
welcome to XDA

XDA-Padawan

Jan 29, 2022
Thank you, I mean it. (Bashfully looks down, hands clasped behind back, toeing ground...) This is the first time in my life I've ever signed up to be a part of something bigger than myself, there isn't a lot out there that can really keep drawing me back, time and time again. Now if I can just find that Thanks button I just read about, I won't have to take up so much space on the servers each time I want to show my gratitude.....

Reactions: orb_selektor

gav83collins

what a great intro, welcome to eh world of "rooting" which in australia, means..... well, il let you look that up lol (i had fun over there when i explained to people i "rooted" my phone,)

we all have to start somewhere, like that advert on tv the woman asks "how do i hdmi a pdf" rofl , youve come to the right place to want to learn, im no expert but if you ever need a hand with anything your more than welcome to hmu

Reactions: XDA-Padawan

XDA-Padawan

Jan 29, 2022
what a great intro, welcome to eh world of "rooting" which in australia, means..... well, il let you look that up lol (i had fun over there when i explained to people i "rooted" my phone,)

we all have to start somewhere, like that advert on tv the woman asks "how do i hdmi a pdf" rofl , youve come to the right place to want to learn, im no expert but if you ever need a hand with anything your more than welcome to hmu
You actually made me laugh out loud with that one. Thanks I needed that! I'll certainly consider hitting you up the next time I need help, which is, on average, every 6.2 seconds. Now if that lady does ever figure out how to hdmi a pdf, she would be a Jedi Master, indeed, and we may both end up learning at her feet. Thanks again and likewise if you want to holler and maybe learn how to brick any device at all, I'm available. Brick master extraordinaire, that's me.

Reactions: gav83collins

gav83collins

You actually made me laugh out loud with that one. Thanks I needed that! I'll certainly consider hitting you up the next time I need help, which is, on average, every 6.2 seconds. Now if that lady does ever figure out how to hdmi a pdf, she would be a Jedi Master, indeed, and we may both end up learning at her feet. Thanks again and likewise if you want to holler and maybe learn how to brick any device at all, I'm available. Brick master extraordinaire, that's me.
thats an acheibvment you reall do have to french connection uk, up nowadays to brick a device lol, thanks, so what phone ar you running now ? is it rooted ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you, I mean it. (Bashfully looks down, hands clasped behind back, toeing ground...) This is the first time in my life I've ever signed up to be a part of something bigger than myself, there isn't a lot out there that can really keep drawing me back, time and time again. Now if I can just find that Thanks button I just read about, I won't have to take up so much space on the servers each time I want to show my gratitude.....