Big Brother watching you via your phone

Search This thread

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
This is what I found on a local papers. My God, Big Brother watching you via your phone

IBM revealed in its Next Five In Five study that one of the biggest innovations that will change our lives in the next five years is mobile phones that can read our minds.

The study said that advanced "presence" technology, which IBM is testing with Norway's biggest telecommunications group, will allow mobile devices and networks to learn about users' whereabouts and preferences as they commute, work and travel.

Last edited:

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
i would not put much trust it that source
when
1 they dont name the norwegian isp
2 norway have pretty strict privicy laws

levenum

Retired Moderator
Jul 13, 2005
What exactly is new about this?
At least in the US (I think in other places too by now) all mobile phones are required to have a GPS chip by law so they can be tracked in case of emergency or "criminal situation".

Believe me, if big brother wanted to watch you, they would not advertise the technology. I think this is more of a "phishing trip" (thats phishing whit "ph" as in internet scam) so cell companies can shove targeted commercials up your @@@ and make more money.

00SparX00

May 17, 2006
Newport
i would not put much trust it that source
when
1 they dont name the norwegian isp
2 norway have pretty strict privicy laws

They say Norwegian telecoms group, not isp. That would probably indicate Nokia...
also
Privacy is one thing, but "features for customer benefit" are another... remember what was said when people wanted to put CCTV in city centres? These days you just kinda accept that they will be under constant scrutiny...

not exactly the same, but it would be the "customer benefit" that eventualy outwieghs the more sinister uses for the technology.

Already some of us are using MSN live search, or Google Maps and seeing the advantages that brings... as soon as the more widespread acceptance of these new uses is apparent people will let it slip to the backs of their minds that the evil people in the shadows could use this information to great effect for anything they wanted....

When im rich, im buying an island and building a huge farraday cage around it so they cant read my brain with microwaves and lasers. heeheh

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
nokia is from finland not norway

no mobil producers i know of are based in norway

a norwegian telcom company is telenor though that could be a player i doubt it though it's not really atune with the nordic system to test out a big brother system least of all in norway

and normal mobils dont! have gps's in them but they connect to antennas and the antennas know who are connected to them and from what direction they are connected from thats all
if the operater let people this can be used as a pretty crude form of gps but it's prob closer to a 1km pricision then a 1m or what ever gps is today

levenum

Retired Moderator
Jul 13, 2005
Hmm, I distinctly remember reading something about GPS1 even in normal phones but i could be wrong.

Just wanted to make a point that if they want to find you they will, though making this point is hard to do without sounding paranoid.

P.S. Not too relevant, but I am fairly sure (don't have a link to prove it) that commercial GPS (like those in PPCs) are accurate to about 10 meters and the nav software compensates by assuming you are in a car on a given street.

There is a something called DGPS (differential) that is accurate to less then one meter but it relies on ground stations in addition to satellites and is only available in certain areas.

jaceuk

Dec 1, 2005
we are traceable as is via our phones and there are no such things as private calls
9yrs in the militray and 11 in the gov security uk/overseas

NetrunnerAT

Mar 16, 2007
Vienna
trace over phone ... do you know "gsm cell id" ... in the future, all provider in austria must store "cell ids" and connection data for 6 months. the first steps to build a visible user are done!

jaceuk

Dec 1, 2005
in the uk people have already been located in court case for serious crimes ,using the monbilephone to give times and locations within feet