Big Warranty Improvement over Samsung Nexus

Search This thread

ohhdavid

Sep 7, 2009
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
So I just had to do initialize a warranty replacement for my phone due to the 'creaking' some people reported involving the corner of the phone. I just don't want to risk it getting worse or me being annoyed to no end because of it so I figured do it sooner than later.

Anyway, I called today because I assumed that the same policy that governed the Galaxy Nexus applied (You have two weeks from the date you get the phone to do a clean-and-clear replacement of the device for warranty issues anything after that requires mailing out for repair.)

However, the guy I talked to tells me that this warranty is different than the Samsung. Like with purchasing a phone through a carrier, if your phone has any problem covered by the warranty, they will replace the device no matter how long it's been since you purchased it (so long as it is still within the 1-year warranty)

I have to say I am so so very pleased to see this! My greatest fear with buying the phone is that if something went wrong I would have to mail it out and be without a phone for several weeks like was the case with the Galaxy Nexus. I figured since so many people have no shortage of complaints about the device I would share something that has very much improved!

ohhdavid

Sep 7, 2009
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
I bought my phone through the Google Play store.

• Google processes all warranty claims for the phone (no referring you to manufacturer like they did with Samsung)
  • If you call to report a warranty-covered issue with the phone, as long as it is not caused by you (ie: your screen doesn't work because you dropped it and it cracked open)
  • Google will send you a link to "re-purchase" a replacement device through the google play store which puts a hold on your credit card for the sale price (less shipping+tax) and emails you a shipping label.
    This part may annoy some people but really, it makes sense. Cell phone carriers don't need to put the hold because they have your SSN and can send you to collections/cancel your service if you fail to return the phone but Google has no such leverage.
  • Once you send back your device, the hold goes away and you're good to go.
  • You have 21 days from when you get your new device delivered to send in your old phone.

phositadc

May 7, 2010

• Google processes all warranty claims for the phone (no referring you to manufacturer like they did with Samsung)
  • If you call to report a warranty-covered issue with the phone, as long as it is not caused by you (ie: your screen doesn't work because you dropped it and it cracked open)
  • Google will send you a link to "re-purchase" a replacement device through the google play store which puts a hold on your credit card for the sale price (less shipping+tax) and emails you a shipping label.
    This part may annoy some people but really, it makes sense. Cell phone carriers don't need to put the hold because they have your SSN and can send you to collections/cancel your service if you fail to return the phone but Google has no such leverage.
  • You have 21 days from when you get your new device delivered to send in your old phone.

Wow that sounds pretty great. About the one thing Google got right about this whole process lol. Sounds like they were expecting lots of returns.

-Sent from my GS3 running CM10.-

trent25

Jul 31, 2012

Where is this policy published?

That's good news. I am getting my phone this week but I'm too busy with work related stuff that needs to be completed before I fly out to Europe for vacation until mid. January.
I was afraid of discovering an issue when on vacation and getting screwed just because I cannot receive a new phone and send in the old one. No need to worry I guess. :D

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
The 'hold to cross-ship' replacement policy has been in place since the Nexus One days, and is a great policy.

Freshly_Snipes

Aug 3, 2011
Atlanta
It's not actually THAT great. Everyone doesn't have $400 disposable at any given time. So say I don't have any money and my device breaks then I'm S.O.L.. That my friend is not okay. They can't put a hold on a card if there's no funds there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Reactions: veyka and shojus

nexicon

Aug 2, 2011
Kansas CIty
They also mention to contact them if a hold on a card is not feasible and they'll be able to work with you. I just had one done

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: trter10

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
It's not actually THAT great. Everyone doesn't have $400 disposable at any given time. So say I don't have any money and my device breaks then I'm S.O.L.. That my friend is not okay. They can't put a hold on a card if there's no funds there.

Never SOL on a legit RMA claim. .cross-ship is just a great option offered, especially if your phone is somewhat functional, you're not out of use at all while you get new unit. Besided it's not El Goog's fault you're broke.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: davidstech11

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Yep the warranty through the play store is the only reason I didn't buy from elsewhere... Well that and the price. They always do advance replacement instead of having you ship the thing back on your own device and wait more than a month to get it back. It's one of the few things Google got right with their hardware selling venture. Unfortunately for me, I have terrible luck with replacements. Couldn't get an n7 that wasn't more borked than the previous one. My n10 has a very slight issue but the replacement has the worst screen I've ever seen. Didn't want to go through the hassle of endless card authorizations and shipping devices back and forth so I'm just going to keep it. My n4 has bad light bleed and half the screen is yellow so its replacement is on its way to me and I pray this one breaks my replacement curse. I wish they actually did some kind of qc on their replacement stock before shipping, especially given that critical buyers with problems are much more likely to scrutinize the replacement device once they have had a bad experience to begin with.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Edit: Google swipe isn't perfect yet

Last edited:

SovereigN7

May 2, 2011
This warranty system sounds great, but do they send a prepaid shipping label or is that from our own pockets?

Garciahenry63

Jan 3, 2011
Manassas
Never SOL on a legit RMA claim. .cross-ship is just a great option offered, especially if your phone is somewhat functional, you're not out of use at all while you get new unit. Besided it's not El Goog's fault you're broke.

well if it's just a hold then it doesnt havt't to be 400 bucks, it can just be a dollar and if you dont send in your phone then they charge for the one they sent out, im assuming?

like going to the gas station and how its a dollar until it runs through the system

desynch-

Apr 1, 2012
Davis, CA
well if it's just a hold then it doesnt havt't to be 400 bucks, it can just be a dollar and if you dont send in your phone then they charge for the one they sent out, im assuming?

like going to the gas station and how its a dollar until it runs through the system

The problem here is, people are far from honest. I see people here claiming fraud for a lot of things just to get something for free. Number one I've noticed are fraudulent warranty claims. Or selling a broken phone on ebay as working. Everybody lies.

Would Google really send out a phone for "free"? It only makes sense that they charge you for what it's worth. Think of it as a core charge when turning in an alternator or some high priced item for repair. You don't return it? It's your money you're losing.

Pito2k6

Jul 12, 2007
Maspeth,N.Y
I hope this is true because with my galaxy nexus they told I needed to contact samsung if it was a hardware problem because they only deal with software problems.So after I contacted samsung I had to ship my phone to them and waited 2 weeks get it replaced and I had no other phone to use because it was my 1st gsm phone after leaving Verizon so I could be contract free.So my 1st experience with them sucked.

DarkRyoushii

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne

Just to clarify on the last point.. You have 21 days to return it from the day you receive the email detailing how to order a replacement (sent by the rep you speak with on the phone) and so if your replacement takes 14 days to ship, 2 days to arrive you've only got 5 days left to get it back to them which is cutting it short. :/

Source: I issued an RMA and that's what the email says at the top.

Sent from my Nexus 4

jrush4

Dec 3, 2010
newcastle
Okay so keep an open mind here guys.

I initiated an RMA last night and I fully intend to return my defective device, but the whole deal with them shipping you a new phone before you send yours back raises an interesting question.

What'd happen if you didn't send yours back and just kept the two? Obviously you'd be charged for both so there's no theft going on, but for those that wanted to purchase 2 and coul could only get one, could they theoretically 'buy' another device this way? It'd be unethical of course, you scamming (in a sense) a phone that countless people are trying to get their hands on, but no more unethical than those scalpers on eBay. They say you have 21 days to return it otherwise your card will be charged, so this could be a very sneaky method of beating the queue.

Like I said before it's unethical and I don't intend to do it, but for those that want a second device for their partner or for someone else... Food for thought I suppose.

imtiax

Jan 6, 2011
Okay so keep an open mind here guys.

I initiated an RMA last night and I fully intend to return my defective device, but the whole deal with them shipping you a new phone before you send yours back raises an interesting question.

What'd happen if you didn't send yours back and just kept the two? Obviously you'd be charged for both so there's no theft going on, but for those that wanted to purchase 2 and coul could only get one, could they theoretically 'buy' another device this way? It'd be unethical of course, you scamming (in a sense) a phone that countless people are trying to get their hands on, but no more unethical than those scalpers on eBay. They say you have 21 days to return it otherwise your card will be charged, so this could be a very sneaky method of beating the queue.

Like I said before it's unethical and I don't intend to do it, but for those that want a second device for their partner or for someone else... Food for thought I suppose.

Well they would get to keep the money they put on hold, and charge you for full shipping.

They would also probably black list you as a customer, so you could never order from them again.

raptir

May 4, 2010
Just to clarify on the last point.. You have 21 days to return it from the day you receive the email detailing how to order a replacement (sent by the rep you speak with on the phone) and so if your replacement takes 14 days to ship, 2 days to arrive you've only got 5 days left to get it back to them which is cutting it short. :/

Source: I issued an RMA and that's what the email says at the top.

Sent from my Nexus 4

No, it's from the date you received the replacement. Source: I issued an RMA and that's what the e-mail says.

UNDERSTANDING CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION (NOT A CHARGE)
An authorization for the full price of the replacement device will be placed on your credit card when you place the order in step one. This means that a portion of your card’s credit limit is held for several days, but no charge is made if your original device arrives at our repair center no longer than 21 days from the date of receiving your replacement device is verified to be covered under warranty.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just had to do initialize a warranty replacement for my phone due to the 'creaking' some people reported involving the corner of the phone. I just don't want to risk it getting worse or me being annoyed to no end because of it so I figured do it sooner than later.

Anyway, I called today because I assumed that the same policy that governed the Galaxy Nexus applied (You have two weeks from the date you get the phone to do a clean-and-clear replacement of the device for warranty issues anything after that requires mailing out for repair.)

However, the guy I talked to tells me that this warranty is different than the Samsung. Like with purchasing a phone through a carrier, if your phone has any problem covered by the warranty, they will replace the device no matter how long it's been since you purchased it (so long as it is still within the 1-year warranty)

I have to say I am so so very pleased to see this! My greatest fear with buying the phone is that if something went wrong I would have to mail it out and be without a phone for several weeks like was the case with the Galaxy Nexus. I figured since so many people have no shortage of complaints about the device I would share something that has very much improved!

One should not use a $400 smartphone if their bank accounts do not even have $400.
    They also mention to contact them if a hold on a card is not feasible and they'll be able to work with you. I just had one done

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app