• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Black crush issue

Search This thread

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
Hi,
Recently I was scrolling through the zentalk forums and Flipkart reviews of the ROG 3 and came across several people complaining about black crush on the display as an issue.
Im worried about it being a widespread problem as I plan to order the phone soon and don't know whether this is due to ASUS choosing poor displays or due to some people recieving a defective phone.

I'd appreciate if those of you who have the phone could tell me about whether you notice any black crush and to what extent, also if you could please do the black crush test on youtube(by a channel called TestRaFx) and post your results for 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% brightness that would be amazing.
(NOTE: For the test just check upto what square you can see/distinguish on each brightness level)

Reactions: sendme2pop

sendme2pop

Aug 28, 2014
Kolhapur
Ya it's there

Ya Heavy black crush while watching videos on YouTube. Especially for Dark scene it's easily visible. I have requested replacement as no refund option was available.
So much disappointed.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Hi,
Recently I was scrolling through the zentalk forums and Flipkart reviews of the ROG 3 and came across several people complaining about black crush on the display as an issue.
Im worried about it being a widespread problem as I plan to order the phone soon and don't know whether this is due to ASUS choosing poor displays or due to some people recieving a defective phone.

I'd appreciate if those of you who have the phone could tell me about whether you notice any black crush and to what extent, also if you could please do the black crush test on youtube(by a channel called TestRaFx) and post your results for 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% brightness that would be amazing.
(NOTE: For the test just check upto what square you can see/distinguish on each brightness level)

Don't buy it

Reactions: Xcientific

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
Ya Heavy black crush while watching videos on YouTube. Especially for Dark scene it's easily visible. I have requested replacement as no refund option was available.
So much disappointed.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Don't buy it

Could you please do the black crush test at https://youtu.be/fv6T7aHsd54 and tell me your results for 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% brightness?
How many squares can you see as grey at those brightness levels in a dark room?

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
0% = 30
25%= 15
50%= 12
75%= 8
100%= 6

Hope this will help you.

Thank you so much, my results are currently as follows(Samsung galaxy note 4):
0%= 30
25%= inconsistent based on slight brightness discrepancies, but atleast a 7
50%= 4
75%= 3
100%= 3

It seems like you must've gotten a faulty display, no way that could be a genuine result for most units, unless Asus has purposefully provided us with bad quality displays.
May I ask what refresh rate you did the test in? Since I know that many high refresh rate screens suffer from black crush more than 60Hz displays.
Also it's interesting that at minimum brightness we have the same black crush but it gets very different during the mid ranges and then you almost catch up again at 100%. I read in android authority that the cinematic colour profile on the ROG is the most colour accurate, you could try that and see if it helps.

Msi6thman

Aug 7, 2020
Is it that bad? At what brightness should we set it to avoid this issue? Im planning to buy the phone but i think most amoled phones have this even op8pro except nubia rm5g but i dont like nubia having stucked widevine l3 and fast battery draining phone

popoisama

Aug 18, 2020
i've seen it meh!!....it's not bothering me at all (maybe this is my 1st Amoled screen phone)....all and all the phone is an absolute beast!!....worth the buy....jumping from Redmi note 4 prime to this beast of a phone i almost shed tears!!....what a bargain

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Is it that bad? At what brightness should we set it to avoid this issue? Im planning to buy the phone but i think most amoled phones have this even op8pro except nubia rm5g but i dont like nubia having stucked widevine l3 and fast battery draining phone

buy it if you can find the cheapest one.....mine is cheap as heck....im pretty sure the price for the global released will be mind boggling...imagine paying for retards ass price for black crush display ouchh!!...then again it's your money you do you boo!!....im satisfied with my buy...hope it'll last for 5 years max....my redmi note 4 last for almost 4 1/2 years too bad it die this years....that's when i go ballz to the walls and buy ROG im quite satisfied

Msi6thman

Aug 7, 2020
Actually my order is on way rt now and i just bought the base model 865+ 12/128 and cost me only around 625 usd, which i fell is very sweet deal for the specs. I just want to know if this is normal for this unit or not be bothered to get a replacement.

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020

I think it's just the luck of the draw. You're more likely to get a non defective unit than a defective one, but again, it's really just based on luck.
As for whether it's that bad, I haven't gotten mine yet, but I don't think you'll notice it for most situations unless you're lying in bed with the lights turned off. This is assuming you get a normal unit.
As for the OnePlus, I was actually quite interested in that phone, but it has way more than just black crush. People were reporting holepunch banding and green tint on their units, so I didn't want to risk it.
Nubia is a decent choice but I don't trust their after sales service. Atleast Asus is very well known in the PC market and can be contacted with relative ease.
Sad thing is that if I didn't have the exynos versions of Samsung in my region, I probably would've gone for their s20+, but alas, they've forced my hand and I decided to take a leap of faith with the Rog instead. Here's to hoping our units are good quality.

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
i've seen it meh!!....it's not bothering me at all (maybe this is my 1st Amoled screen phone)....all and all the phone is an absolute beast!!....worth the buy....jumping from Redmi note 4 prime to this beast of a phone i almost shed tears!!....what a bargain

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

buy it if you can find the cheapest one.....mine is cheap as heck....im pretty sure the price for the global released will be mind boggling...imagine paying for retards ass price for black crush display ouchh!!...then again it's your money you do you boo!!....im satisfied with my buy...hope it'll last for 5 years max....my redmi note 4 last for almost 4 1/2 years too bad it die this years....that's when i go ballz to the walls and buy ROG im quite satisfied

Would you mind doing the test at https://youtu.be/fv6T7aHsd54 for me?
Just note down the lowest number at which you can distinguish a grey box from a black one at 0,25, 50, 75 and 100% brightness.

jinmingyou

Aug 9, 2020
Yeah, it sucks

When I watch dark scene in Netflix, dark part seems like gray or dark green like that.

And when I turn the brightness to 0%, the display turns really strange. Only in Netflix, not other apps. But it's pretty serious problem I think

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
When I watch dark scene in Netflix, dark part seems like gray or dark green like that.

And when I turn the brightness to 0%, the display turns really strange. Only in Netflix, not other apps. But it's pretty serious problem I think

Asus actually spoke about the Netflix problem in their forums. Basically, don't use the app's inbuilt brightness slider because for some reason it changes gamma instead of brightness, so rather use the system slider from the toggle menu to change brightness.
If it's only there in Netflix then you're probably not experiencing any black crush per se, it's just that Netflix works weird on the ROG.

Xcientific

Aug 15, 2020
Which test? I mean this is not just netflix tried other streaming app, also youtube, perfect example is to watch haunting of hill house trailer or the show it self. Display was so bad on these scenes.

The test at https://youtu.be/fv6T7aHsd54
All you need to do is go to a dark room, and check upto which box you can distinguish grey from black.
Please test it at 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% brightness, and check on both 144hz as well as 60hz.

Msi6thman

Aug 7, 2020
Ok guys it took me hours finding a fix mixing colors etc but i have found a temporary solution for this

1. Download Screen Balance from Playstore(developed by QuickDoc)
2. Turn it On
3. Im on free version of the app so i am only able to try what is available
Follow settings below
Flouroscent
Strenght 90
Contrast 100
Brightness 0

Greatly Helps, thank me later lmao
So basically i think this can be fixed by a software update but need an expert calibration

Last edited:
Reactions: amankumar2508007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Test

0% = 30
    25%= 15
    50%= 12
    75%= 8
    100%= 6

Hope this will help you.

Hi,

Ya it's there

So much disappointed.

Hi,

Don't buy it
    So much disappointed.

Don't buy it

Could you please do the black crush test at https://youtu.be/fv6T7aHsd54 and tell me your results for 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% brightness?
    How many squares can you see as grey at those brightness levels in a dark room?