Question Black screen but phone still works

Search This thread
you're right in the middle! Baoum 100 points! This is exactly what I was doing, and by the more magisk doesn't help me as my module's option is stuck in grey I can't do nothing with it. When I install the V25.2 version it's worth : magisk doesn't launch at all.

View attachment 5674145
Maybe this explain why patching boot.img didn't work well as I didn't use the module button as well...
Ah the reason that they are grey is because you didn't flash the rooted/patched boot.img of the MIUI.
I can send it to you, but you need to tell me which MIUI version you used before you flashed the GSI.

campanah

Nov 3, 2020
Paris
Oh, no problem.
I don't have the MIUI version you mentioned, but don't worry as I will send the patched boot.img, or do you want to learn to do it?
It's pretty easy.

And what device are you using, Poco or the Redmi?
Oh yes definitely I prefer to learn and understand how to do this. I'm using the poco. I think I know how to patch with fastboot but I will need a working magisk to create the boot.img?

Last edited:
Oh yes definitely I prefer to learn and understand how to do this. I'm using the poco. I think I know how to patch with fastboot but
Alright, lets do it.

You need to do it on your phone, I will show pictures from my PC as I don't have the ROM downloaded on my phone, so I apologise for any bad explanation.

First off, download the MIUI ROM folder on any website of Xiaomi firmware downloader. You can download it here > https://xiaomifirmware.net/redmi-note-10-5g-poco-m3-pro-5g/#google_vignette. Be sure to download the "FastBoot" option!

Now, after downloading, extract the ROM to a folder, anywhere you like.

On your phone, it should look like this with all these files:
1659346308169.png

You are gonna open the "images" folder and copy the "boot.img" file to anywhere safe, as we are gonna use it to patch on the Magisk application.
1659346356170.png

After that, open your Magisk application, and now we will patch the "boot.img" so we can root your POCO.

Since you do not have Magisk and root applied, it will appear "Installer". Click it just as the image above is with the red outline.
102799ed-c4c2-4146-8caf-1e12d42a2375.jpg

You will get this screen, then select again the same option as the red outline, I will have more options since I have a update and I have it rooted.
870f9173-a858-4c90-89f1-a825962205eb.jpg

Now it will prompt you to select the "boot.img" of the MIUI firmware you downloaded and extracted.
Find the copy of your "boot.img" and patch it.
It will give a similiar name as of "magisk_patched-25100_w5TWk.img" (doesn't need to be the same, don't worry).

Now we are going to root your phone.
Move your patched boot.img to your computer first.
Put your POCO into fastboot, we don't need dynamic fastboot to root it.

Check if you do have "vbmeta.img" or else you might boot with dm-verity corruption!

Open your fastboot folder, move the patched boot.img (magisk_patched-25100_w5TWk.img) into your fastboot folder. Rename it to "boot.img" as it wont affect the patch and is recommended.

Now the commands to root it:

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
Sending 'vbmeta_a' (4 KB) OKAY [ X.XXXs] Writing 'vbmeta_a' OKAY [ X.XXXs]

fastboot flash boot boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (65536 KB) OKAY [ X.XXXs] Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ X.XXX]

And you are good to go! If you do need your stock "boot.img" or the patched one, I can send it.

Reactions: campanah

campanah

Nov 3, 2020
Paris
oh ! many thanks, that's vert clear with all your explanations. I re-did everything following your details, but the magisk remains with the module setting stuck in a grey button and unavailable... And same problem if I install the latest update of magisk, it doesn't launch at all ! Maybe I should re-install the MIUI with XiaoMiFlash ?

oh ! many thanks, that's vert clear with all your explanations. I re-did everything following your details, but the magisk remains with the module setting stuck in a grey button and unavailable... And same problem if I install the latest update of magisk, it doesn't launch at all ! Maybe I should re-install the MIUI with XiaoMiFlash ?
Are you sure you used the patched boot.img? You might have had mistaken.
Copy the original boot.img again to a very reachable folder in your phone, patch it again, it will create a copy of it with another name.
Now move the boot.img or so renamed to "magisk_patched-25100_w5TWk.img" (must atleast be written that, ignore the numbers and the random letters) to your fastboot folder and delete the old one and rename it to boot.img again, then do the same procedure once again.

arg, know I even cannot install my older version of magisk
No worries.
I'll send you the patched boot.img in a few minutes to get this all done, then do the fastboot commands in my instructions.

But this is really weird - this is what I always do to root my Redmi, and I don't understand what's going on.
All the steps are working.
You could try reflashing the latest MIUI - 13 with android 12 vendor, or reflash MIUI 12.5.

ok,
Don't I need to flash vbmeta as well ?
You only need for GSI and root flashing, otherwise you will boot with dm-verity corruption.
You can find the empty vbmeta.img both on the GSI flashing or the root guide by simika.

If you will use Mi Flash to reflash MIUI, no need.
Any MIUI ROM comes with it either on the boot.img, on the vendor or has the vbmeta image itself.

campanah

Nov 3, 2020
Paris
it looks like vbmeta is a kind of boot sector that indicate to read some magisk's file before going to the ROM. Have you got any link to get the MIUI 13 ?

it looks like vbmeta is a kind of boot sector that indicate to read some magisk's file before going to the ROM. Have you got any link to get the MIUI 13 ?
I could only find your POCO here, and it's EEA. Download the fastboot image:

thanks ! your link is great ! I wonder why do I don't find these sites by myself... That's it, I've magisk working on MIUI 13.02 ! so if I follow you well, I have Android 12 and shall be able to install only ROM with android 12 from your thread https://xdaforums.com/t/gsis-for-poco-m3-pro-and-redmi-note-10-5g.4468803/#post-87218677 and, for instance, not
Google Android 13 BETA Official GSI wich is Android version: 13
Actually, you can flash any ROM that is above your Treble, that means android 13, but I am not sure if we can flash a GSI under the Treble version we have installed.

Anyways, glad you got root working on your phone. Maybe, just how you said, it's because you patched another MIUI version boot.img that you didn't know 😀

campanah

Nov 3, 2020
Paris
And now I've installed the brightness fix patch with magisk following you're help and it works perfectly with Corvus Os. It's very rare that I succeed so many things at once with my phone, so thank you again !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh yes definitely I prefer to learn and understand how to do this. I'm using the poco. I think I know how to patch with fastboot but
    Alright, lets do it.

You need to do it on your phone, I will show pictures from my PC as I don't have the ROM downloaded on my phone, so I apologise for any bad explanation.

First off, download the MIUI ROM folder on any website of Xiaomi firmware downloader. You can download it here > https://xiaomifirmware.net/redmi-note-10-5g-poco-m3-pro-5g/#google_vignette. Be sure to download the "FastBoot" option!

Now, after downloading, extract the ROM to a folder, anywhere you like.

On your phone, it should look like this with all these files:
    1659346308169.png

You are gonna open the "images" folder and copy the "boot.img" file to anywhere safe, as we are gonna use it to patch on the Magisk application.
    1659346356170.png

After that, open your Magisk application, and now we will patch the "boot.img" so we can root your POCO.

Since you do not have Magisk and root applied, it will appear "Installer". Click it just as the image above is with the red outline.
    102799ed-c4c2-4146-8caf-1e12d42a2375.jpg

You will get this screen, then select again the same option as the red outline, I will have more options since I have a update and I have it rooted.
    870f9173-a858-4c90-89f1-a825962205eb.jpg

Now it will prompt you to select the "boot.img" of the MIUI firmware you downloaded and extracted.
    Find the copy of your "boot.img" and patch it.
    It will give a similiar name as of "magisk_patched-25100_w5TWk.img" (doesn't need to be the same, don't worry).

Now we are going to root your phone.
    Move your patched boot.img to your computer first.
    Put your POCO into fastboot, we don't need dynamic fastboot to root it.

Check if you do have "vbmeta.img" or else you might boot with dm-verity corruption!

Open your fastboot folder, move the patched boot.img (magisk_patched-25100_w5TWk.img) into your fastboot folder. Rename it to "boot.img" as it wont affect the patch and is recommended.

Now the commands to root it:

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    Sending 'vbmeta_a' (4 KB) OKAY [ X.XXXs] Writing 'vbmeta_a' OKAY [ X.XXXs]

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    Sending 'boot_a' (65536 KB) OKAY [ X.XXXs] Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ X.XXX]

And you are good to go! If you do need your stock "boot.img" or the patched one, I can send it.