• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Black Screen of Death? 2 Month old S21 Ultra 512gb

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
S21 Ultra 128GB, CAN. Got it the day it came out from the Samsung store. Woke up to the screen completely black and couldn't get it to show anything after trying all the usual fixes. Took it to a certified Samsung repair shop where the guy told me he already repaired 3 phones this week with the same issue. It will cost nothing to repair since it's still under the year warranty but overall this issue blows.
Yeah this phone is starting to blow. That's way too many of the same failure.
Be a lot better if Samsung owned up to it instead of silence.

Reactions: Sirsean120

maxito71

Feb 18, 2015
Milano
Hi.
Same thing happpened here (S21 Ultra 256Gb Exynos) a month ago.
I was away for the weekend so I had to wait. I called Samsung and set an appointment for the first working day.
Fortunately a few hours later the screen came back to life by its own (before that I tried in any possible way; my watch was telling me the phone was connected but the screen was absolutely dead). Went to Samsung by the way and they checked it, giving me back the phone after an hour and telling me they just “set some parameters” and that the phone is fine.
Living with my fingers crossed since then…
Best

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Hi.
I was away for the weekend so I had to wait. I called Samsung and set an appointment for the first working day.
Fortunately a few hours later the screen came back to life by its own (before that I tried in any possible way; my watch was telling me the phone was connected but the screen was absolutely dead). Went to Samsung by the way and they checked it, giving me back the phone after an hour and telling me they just “set some parameters” and that the phone is fine.
Best
If they said what the cause was and what they did I be more likely to believe them.
If it was parameter settings they could change they would send out a OTA firmware update.
WTF?
Sounds like hogwash... hope it isn't for your sake.

Never heard of Samsung having so many display failures except on the Fold series.

Sirsean120

Feb 4, 2019
Just wanted to provide a small update. I got my phone fixed for free at the certified repair shop on Tuesday and they said the issue was the connector (Display I think) somehow became disconnected so all they did was reattach it.

mati11233

Jan 9, 2017
I have same problem at the moment. My screen just stopped working when I woke up. I went to Samsung's shop and they were not surprised at all. Let's just say I'm not the first one they saw with this problem. They collected my phone and told me it will be sent to me after it's fixed, both repair and delivery will be free of charge.

However, I've unlocked bootloader on my phone so I don't know what they will say after they fix the screen and see open bootloader.

• Sad

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I saw in my local Facebook group, many Note 20 Ultra owner have this problem too.
Much more than S21 Ultra owners but the number increasing for S21 Ultra.
Crap. Thank you for the 20 U warning🤗

Never heard this with the Note 10+ at least in large numbers.
Perhaps the power density of the variable frequency displays is too high or Samsung made changes in the manufacturing process... and/or their QC went to hell.

mc_gusto

Jul 9, 2011
Same thing just happened to me. I saw screen go black as I was using it. Watch still connected. I restarted and couldn't unlock phone which was a pain. So don't restart. Made appointments at the service center 25 miles away. Switch phone numbers and after about 2 hours the screen came back on. Sooo annoying. Gonna hold off on service center until it happens again. Anyone know how easy it is to get fixed or replace if I have an insights device.

• Sad

mati11233

Jan 9, 2017
Same thing just happened to me. I saw screen go black as I was using it. Watch still connected. I restarted and couldn't unlock phone which was a pain. So don't restart. Made appointments at the service center 25 miles away. Switch phone numbers and after about 2 hours the screen came back on. Sooo annoying. Gonna hold off on service center until it happens again. Anyone know how easy it is to get fixed or replace if I have an insights device.
Don't risk it and get it replaced

bitterblood

Sep 11, 2010
So I am in a weird situation. Bought a S21 Ultra 512gb and after 2 months it has now a black screen. I can turn it off holding down power and volume down and it reboots. I can hear the T-Mobile jingle but NOTHING is shown on screen. I have done this multiple times plugged into power and computer... nothing. I can't even recover my data or anything. What can I try to wipe the phone or fix this issue? I really dont want to turn this phone in for a refub.

I plugged it into the computer and Win10 I hear the device bootup on the computer but no hard drive or anything comes up. Any suggestions on how to fix this black screen?

UPDATE: 4/7/2021 it was the screen had samsung replace it at a local auth repair shop.
I've had that happen to me twice now... but times Samsung had to replace the screen. It is not a good feeling because I am not sure what I'm going to do when the warranty is up.

mati11233

Jan 9, 2017
Quick update on the repair. They confirmed it was an issue with the screen, not a cable becoming loose. It was caused by buggy firmware and it had to be replaced.

Screen was replaced free of charge. However, since my phone was rooted they forced me to pay £400 for the replacement of the motherboard or get my phone back with the old screen on it. Samsung what a joke. This is the last time I bought a phone from them.

Reactions: ps000000

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Quick update on the repair. They confirmed it was an issue with the screen, not a cable becoming loose. It was caused by buggy firmware and it had to be replaced.

Screen was replaced free of charge. However, since my phone was rooted they forced me to pay £400 for the replacement of the motherboard or get my phone back with the old screen on it. Samsung what a joke. This is the last time I bought a phone from them.
You blew the e fuse when you rooted it, right?
The firmware you loaded could have blown the hardware. Hardware can't always protect itself from badly coded firmware.
These are some of the risks you take when rooting. With newer phones rooting isn't always necessary or even desirable.

Not the best outcome but relatively a cheap repair considering what was done... they could have leaned into you a lot harder😕

mati11233

Jan 9, 2017
You blew the e fuse when you rooted it, right?
The firmware you loaded could have blown the hardware. Hardware can't always protect itself from badly coded firmware.
These are some of the risks you take when rooting. With newer phones rooting isn't always necessary or even desirable.

Not the best outcome but relatively a cheap repair considering what was done... they could have leaned into you a lot harder😕
Lean on me harder? The phone was working after they replaced the screen with the old motherboard installed. The fact that I rooted it and blew the e fuse has nothing to do with the broken screen. The screen is breaking on devices without root as well.

I would accept it if it was because of something I did, but here it's 100% Samsung's fault for selling me a device with defective screen.

Reactions: itsXpanD

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Lean on me harder? The phone was working after they replaced the screen with the old motherboard installed. The fact that I rooted it and blew the e fuse has nothing to do with the broken screen. The screen is breaking on devices without root as well.

I would accept it if it was because of something I did, but here it's 100% Samsung's fault for selling me a device with defective screen.

Meh, you did do something😖
By loading a custom kernel that could (or did) cause hardware damage. The firmware sets many of the hardware's operating parameters.
You automatically void the warranty and for good reasons. You have in the manufacturer's eyes you intentionally damage it by altering its instruction set.
So don't play coy, you rolled the dice and got snake eyes. The price was pretty cheap considering Samsung could have refused to service it altogether.

What's really going to bake your noodle is if Samsung recycled the mobo by replacing the fried chipset and reused it🤣

Reactions: christophe.gouss

mati11233

Jan 9, 2017
Meh, you did do something😖
By loading a custom kernel that could (or did) cause hardware damage. The firmware sets many of the hardware's operating parameters.
You automatically void the warranty and for good reasons. You have in the manufacturer's eyes you intentionally damage it by altering its instruction set.
So don't play coy, you rolled the dice and got snake eyes. The price was pretty cheap considering Samsung could have refused to service it altogether.

What's really going to bake your noodle is if Samsung recycled the mobo by replacing the fried chipset and reused it🤣
"altering its instruction set" "fried chipset" "damage it" Holly.... you really don't know what you are talking about. I don't know if you are trolling or just really don't know much about this topic.

Samsung clearly admitted that they messed up during production and sold me a defective screen as they replaced the screen free of charge. Besides the device was rooted 6 months before the screen died

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My S21+ too went dead after just 1 month. The phone does vibrate when I switch it on or off but nothing on screen. Went to Samsung service station and they say the screen needs to be replaced. I reached out to Samsung team and fought hard with them to get the device replaced. Now they say the device is out of stock.
    With so many ppl complaining about the screen issue and then device going out of stock, has Samsung messed it again and trying to hide the issue?
    Demand a full refund from these jokers.
    When Sammy gets it right, it's good.
    Otherwise it's a bomb.
    I mange to getmy phone screen issue fix
    I Have S21 ultra Snapdradon (512 GB)
    I get the same issue two months before, screen did not on even on Boatloader

I remove his backglass and unplug the screen strip, battery strip from the main board and sub board and install them again
    Thats it, my phone screen is start working again
    Hi.
    Best
    If they said what the cause was and what they did I be more likely to believe them.
    If it was parameter settings they could change they would send out a OTA firmware update.
    WTF?
    Sounds like hogwash... hope it isn't for your sake.

Never heard of Samsung having so many display failures except on the Fold series.
    S21 Ultra 128GB, CAN. Got it the day it came out from the Samsung store. Woke up to the screen completely black and couldn't get it to show anything after trying all the usual fixes. Took it to a certified Samsung repair shop where the guy told me he already repaired 3 phones this week with the same issue. It will cost nothing to repair since it's still under the year warranty but overall this issue blows.
    "altering its instruction set" "fried chipset" "damage it" Holly.... you really don't know what you are talking about. I don't know if you are trolling or just really don't know much about this topic.

Samsung clearly admitted that they messed up during production and sold me a defective screen as they replaced the screen free of charge. Besides the device was rooted 6 months before the screen died
    You altered its instruction set from stock, right?
    Nuff said. You altered it's operational parameters by doing so... if this was the cause of the failure is unknown. You added variables that didn't need to be there.
    Firmware failures can take days, weeks even years to manifest themselves.
    Rootkits sometimes fry hardware too.

So yeah continue as you were... are you feeling lucky today?🤣
    US, S21 Ultra 256gb. Same issue last month, woke up one day and screen was completely dead. Ended up taking the device to a local authorized Samsung repair shop that replaced the display. The phone was about 5 months old, no scratches, drops, nothing, just a defective display.
    The real problem will be when one dies out of warranty. Hopefully those defective ones will die young, but it probably be more unpredictable.