• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Black Screen of Death? 2 Month old S21 Ultra 512gb

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
"altering its instruction set" "fried chipset" "damage it" Holly.... you really don't know what you are talking about. I don't know if you are trolling or just really don't know much about this topic.

Samsung clearly admitted that they messed up during production and sold me a defective screen as they replaced the screen free of charge. Besides the device was rooted 6 months before the screen died
You altered its instruction set from stock, right?
Nuff said. You altered it's operational parameters by doing so... if this was the cause of the failure is unknown. You added variables that didn't need to be there.
Firmware failures can take days, weeks even years to manifest themselves.
Rootkits sometimes fry hardware too.

So yeah continue as you were... are you feeling lucky today?🤣

Last edited:

apurvn

Aug 21, 2021
My S21+ too went dead after just 1 month. The phone does vibrate when I switch it on or off but nothing on screen. Went to Samsung service station and they say the screen needs to be replaced. I reached out to Samsung team and fought hard with them to get the device replaced. Now they say the device is out of stock.
With so many ppl complaining about the screen issue and then device going out of stock, has Samsung messed it again and trying to hide the issue?

• Sad
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
My S21+ too went dead after just 1 month. The phone does vibrate when I switch it on or off but nothing on screen. Went to Samsung service station and they say the screen needs to be replaced. I reached out to Samsung team and fought hard with them to get the device replaced. Now they say the device is out of stock.
With so many ppl complaining about the screen issue and then device going out of stock, has Samsung messed it again and trying to hide the issue?
Demand a full refund from these jokers.
When Sammy gets it right, it's good.
Otherwise it's a bomb.

Reactions: apurvn

brianjsw

Apr 13, 2018
My phone from the initial pre-order just died today too with the exact same symptom. Was literally working fine. Set it down, came back 5 minutes later and no display. Went to UBREAKIFIX and they told me they are seeing lots of these. They also said there isn't an official announcement or bulletin from Samsung they are aware of. They noted that the new replacement displays they are receiving all have a yellow sticker on them saying 'improved'. So something seems afoot definitely.

Reactions: blackhawk
Nuff said. You altered it's operational parameters by doing so... if this was the cause of the failure is unknown. You added variables that didn't need to be there.

What an absolute load of BS.
Altered its instructions? Operational parameters? You come here and post absolute dribble. No part of modifying the bootloader alters any instruction for the display, stop with the keyboard warriorism.

Ive had, as have others, faulty displays replaced on rooted devices. Samsung have no evidence to suggest that ROOT (SW based alter) causes display malfunctions or damage., otherwise they wouldn't have replaced them!!

Firmware failures can take days, weeks even years to manifest themselves. <-- please do enlighten us...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
What an absolute load of BS.
Altered its instructions? Operational parameters? You come here and post absolute dribble. No part of modifying the bootloader alters any instruction for the display, stop with the keyboard warriorism.

Ive had, as have others, faulty displays replaced on rooted devices. Samsung have no evidence to suggest that ROOT (SW based alter) causes display malfunctions or damage., otherwise they wouldn't have replaced them!!

Firmware failures can take days, weeks even years to manifest themselves. <-- please do enlighten us...

Allow me to retort...
That model has a lot of issues. I doubt you damaged it. Samsung warranty is unpredictable at best. I go out of my way to give them an excuse and avoid dealing with them if at all possible.

These devices can run very well stock; why by a $1+G device if you don't like it? The stock firmware is intergrated to that hardware and tested as such.

As for the hardware instruction set, if you altered the factory set parameters you can damage the hardware, it's a simple concept.
Don't be so naive. If this was or wasn't done I don't have a crystal ball and doubt do you. It's a risk you take loading 3rd party firmware. -If- you don't alter the stock kernel or drivers the risk is lower but that's part of why people root devices, isn't it?

Taking seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, whatever to fail is dependent on how much the hardware's limits were exceeded and how close to tolerance the components are. Some devices will fail while others may not. Instruction sets are generally on the conservative side of the component limits to offset individual component tolerance deviations. You see that in PC overclocking, it's well know to the point where identical processors are tested/graded by the manufacturer and sold as such. The better ones are guaranteed to run at higher frequencies.

Last edited:

genjo_sanzo

Mar 17, 2012
Had my S21U Exynos in March and was running fine even after latest upgrade to Android 12 and OneUi 4. Until the BSOD happens today(27 Nov) just about an hour ago after charging my phone. The screen is just pitch black and just will not turn on and the only thing visible is the side panel. I know my phone is still active as it is still connected to DeX on my laptop. I had read in a Facebook Forum from users that has the same issue. I tried their workaround that is by reverting the Dark Mode to Light Mode. I tried this several times back and forth and finally the screen turns on. I then increase the brightness to about 50% and deactivated the Adaptive Brightness setting. So far its working fine for now. I have also reported this issue in the Samsung Members app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-174010_Screen Lock Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127-174010_Screen Lock Pro.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 17

genjo_sanzo

Mar 17, 2012
Today 28 Nov it happens again but this time around its less than 2 minutes of trying to turn on the device. I then proceeded to do the same workaround as I did yesterday and the screen lights up again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "altering its instruction set" "fried chipset" "damage it" Holly.... you really don't know what you are talking about. I don't know if you are trolling or just really don't know much about this topic.

Samsung clearly admitted that they messed up during production and sold me a defective screen as they replaced the screen free of charge. Besides the device was rooted 6 months before the screen died

I mange to getmy phone screen issue fix
    I Have S21 ultra Snapdradon (512 GB)
    I get the same issue two months before, screen did not on even on Boatloader

I remove his backglass and unplug the screen strip, battery strip from the main board and sub board and install them again
    Thats it, my phone screen is start working again
    S21 Ultra 128GB, CAN. Got it the day it came out from the Samsung store. Woke up to the screen completely black and couldn't get it to show anything after trying all the usual fixes. Took it to a certified Samsung repair shop where the guy told me he already repaired 3 phones this week with the same issue. It will cost nothing to repair since it's still under the year warranty but overall this issue blows.
    Lean on me harder? The phone was working after they replaced the screen with the old motherboard installed. The fact that I rooted it and blew the e fuse has nothing to do with the broken screen. The screen is breaking on devices without root as well.

I would accept it if it was because of something I did, but here it's 100% Samsung's fault for selling me a device with defective screen.

Meh, you did do something😖
    By loading a custom kernel that could (or did) cause hardware damage. The firmware sets many of the hardware's operating parameters.
    You automatically void the warranty and for good reasons. You have in the manufacturer's eyes you intentionally damage it by altering its instruction set.
    So don't play coy, you rolled the dice and got snake eyes. The price was pretty cheap considering Samsung could have refused to service it altogether.

What's really going to bake your noodle is if Samsung recycled the mobo by replacing the fried chipset and reused it🤣
    US, S21 Ultra 256gb. Same issue last month, woke up one day and screen was completely dead. Ended up taking the device to a local authorized Samsung repair shop that replaced the display. The phone was about 5 months old, no scratches, drops, nothing, just a defective display.
    The real problem will be when one dies out of warranty. Hopefully those defective ones will die young, but it probably be more unpredictable.