Question Black Screen of Death

Search This thread

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
Have any of you gotten the black screen of death with your P7P?

Over the weekend, my screen appears to have bit the dust. I was playing a game and the screen went weird. I saw snow, chunks of different apps and such, and then the screen went black. I tried rebooting and googled the issue. Tried all the suggested solutions and none worked.

My screen is completely dark, even from boot. No google logo during boot.

Phone appears to be running as I get haptic responses to the buttons when it's on, just nothing on the screen and no responses to touch.

ABD sorta works, but sees the phone as unauthorized (worked fine on that laptop before). Only thing I could do was get into fastboot. Tried the A and B slots with the same results.

Google told me to take it to a warranty center as I'm outside the return period. Fortunately I have one close by. It's just annoying that it died after barely two weeks.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Have any of you gotten the black screen of death with your P7P?

Over the weekend, my screen appears to have bit the dust. I was playing a game and the screen went weird. I saw snow, chunks of different apps and such, and then the screen went black. I tried rebooting and googled the issue. Tried all the suggested solutions and none worked.

My screen is completely dark, even from boot. No google logo during boot.

Phone appears to be running as I get haptic responses to the buttons when it's on, just nothing on the screen and no responses to touch.

ABD sorta works, but sees the phone as unauthorized (worked fine on that laptop before). Only thing I could do was get into fastboot. Tried the A and B slots with the same results.

Google told me to take it to a warranty center as I'm outside the return period. Fortunately I have one close by. It's just annoying that it died after barely two weeks.
This has happened on other devices; the 5a apparently had a significant problem with this. The fortunate thing is, fixing it usually just takes a few hours, although the repair center might need to wait for parts.

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
First shop in my area I called said they didn't have parts and couldn't get them yet.

The other one was familiar with the problem with the 5a's and had a 7P screen in stock, thinking it was likely hardware. I'm taking it over tomorrow morning.

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
If fastboot mode is also blank, its hardware fault.
Yeah, that's what the problem typically has been with the 5a. No idea what causes it; my wife was just scrolling through social media when it froze up, then the screen went black, and the phone wouldn't turn on again. It was visible via USB as as a QPST target (Qualcomm 9008 bulk something or other) so my assumption was the bootloader somehow got corrupted. I'm not sure how, since this was not during an update. Fixing it involved replacing the mainboard.

Generally when a display fails, you'll get artifacts on the screen but the device will still work, more or less.

engage4

May 17, 2013
If a qualcomm phone switches to 9008 mode in the middle of operation its either EMMC fault. Either emmc is damaged or emmc to cpu connection break.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First shop in my area I called said they didn't have parts and couldn't get them yet.

The other one was familiar with the problem with the 5a's and had a 7P screen in stock, thinking it was likely hardware. I'm taking it over tomorrow morning.