• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Black screen on Intellilikn in my new Opel Astra

Search This thread

smatty1

Apr 17, 2016
So I took it to the dealer and after explaining to them what android auto actually is!! We plugged the phone in and it worked. 10 times in a row....I hate intermittent problems :(.

So the guy said there was nothing they could do since it was working now but to bring it back if it stops again.... Getting the S7 edge next week so will wait and see how that works.... Apologies i haven't got a better answer for you...

Just the kinda luck you need :D Well, thanks for the update anyway. If you happen to visit the dealer again regarding this, let me know.

In the meantime I might book service myself to see if they can do anything.

Apr 28, 2011
Just the kinda luck you need :D Well, thanks for the update anyway. If you happen to visit the dealer again regarding this, let me know.

It's worked perfectly several times so something is now working...

However just thought I would share something a friend of mine said has worked for him (it works for me to but it works without it aswell)

Anyway what he said is:

Turn Bluetooth off on your phone
Turn the key once (just so the infotainment system turns on but not the engine and the rest of the electrical systems)
Plug the phone in as soon as possible

He says it all works then and Bluetooth connects but it doesn't work any other way for him. So might be worth a try...

Reactions: smatty1

smatty1

Apr 17, 2016

However just thought I would share something a friend of mine said has worked for him (it works for me to but it works without it aswell)

Anyway what he said is:

Turn the key once (just so the infotainment system turns on but not the engine and the rest of the electrical systems)

He says it all works then and Bluetooth connects but it doesn't work any other way for him. So might be worth a try...

Thanks for the tip. I will try this and will update.

EDIT: I just tested your method and it did it! Android Auto connected twice in a row perfectly and no more blank screen. I'm going to give it a few more tries before celebrating, but so far my hopes are up! Thanks to you and your friend! Anyway I also contacted the dealer and they promised to check with factory if they can do anything. The dealer will get back to me.

I also found the reason why AA wouldn't start on my phone like it used to when connecting to the car. Apparently the latest software update to my phone and that update switched USB mode to charging only. Had to switch it manually to MTP mode.

Last edited:

Donzo

Sep 1, 2009
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue...

I have a Nexus5 and I just bought an Opel Corsa (10 days ago) and 9 times out of 10 I get this black screen.

Just like Luke.bartholomew1 I brought it to the dealar after 3 days of continuous black screen and when they tried everything worked fine -_-

I tried all the methods suggested in this thread, but nothing works for me.

Is there a way to send a feedback to Opel just to let them know there's one more unsatisfied user?

smatty1

Apr 17, 2016
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue...

I have a Nexus5 and I just bought an Opel Corsa (10 days ago) and 9 times out of 10 I get this black screen.

Just like Luke.bartholomew1 I brought it to the dealar after 3 days of continuous black screen and when they tried everything worked fine -_-

I tried all the methods suggested in this thread, but nothing works for me.

Is there a way to send a feedback to Opel just to let them know there's one more unsatisfied user?

Welcome to the club! Have you checked that your phone's USB mode is set to MTP? My Android Auto stopped working with Charging Only mode. As far as I know, in Marshmallow you have to set it to MTP manually every time you connect your phone to the Intellilink.

I got it working per Luke.bartholomew1's instructions. However, I'm experiencing some weird freezing while playing music from Spotify. I need to reconnect the phone to fix it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, that seemed to help but need some more testing.

Anyways, I also received reply from the dealer. They talked with the factory or something, and were told to use Android Auto APK version 1.6.281030. I decided to drop the matter for now, because AA works when following Luke's instructions to the letter. It's an annoyance to be sure, but better than Apple Carplay.

In my case I contacted both the dealer and the GM customer support. Both were very helpful and GM really tried to help, though they stated that their resources to investigate this matter are limited due to AA not being officially supported in my country (Finland) yet. Which raises the question, why market and sell an AA capable infotainment system then...

Donzo

Sep 1, 2009
Welcome to the club! Have you checked that your phone's USB mode is set to MTP? My Android Auto stopped working with Charging Only mode. As far as I know, in Marshmallow you have to set it to MTP manually every time you connect your phone to the Intellilink.

I got it working per Luke.bartholomew1's instructions. However, I'm experiencing some weird freezing while playing music from Spotify. I need to reconnect the phone to fix it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, that seemed to help but need some more testing.

Anyways, I also received reply from the dealer. They talked with the factory or something, and were told to use Android Auto APK version 1.6.281030. I decided to drop the matter for now, because AA works when following Luke's instructions to the letter. It's an annoyance to be sure, but better than Apple Carplay.

In my case I contacted both the dealer and the GM customer support. Both were very helpful and GM really tried to help, though they stated that their resources to investigate this matter are limited due to AA not being officially supported in my country (Finland) yet. Which raises the question, why market and sell an AA capable infotainment system then...

I didn't try to switch to MTP, I will try it this evening, but I got it work sometimes without all these "rituals" so it's still an uncertain method and it results in a lot of time wasted every time I get into the car.
Thanks for the tip anyway.

In a couple of day I should get a new Nexus 5X, so I will wait until then to see if it works, otherwise I will contact the dealer to see if he can pull some strings on the issue.

therealwheely

Apr 26, 2008
Hi there Opel and Vauxhall drivers,
Both my wife and I experienced the same problems with black screens. We both bought a new Opel 3 months ago. I drive a new Corsa and my wife an Adam. Both cars have onboard Intellilink 4. I have a Samsung Note 3 with Android 5.0. My wife has a Samsung S6 Plus with Android 6.

It turns out these problems were caused by using cheap USB cables. My wife now only uses the original USB cable and I bought a Clicktronic Professional USB 3.0 cable with a length of 0.5 meters (the shortest one I could find). Also the Opel Adam has a build-in Wifi hotspot so my wife turns off wifi on her phone before connecting using BlueTooth. Furthermore we discovered that it's best to first switch on the contact of the car, let the phone connect via BlueTooth and then connect the USB-cable. Also we use the latest available Android Auto versions on our phones.

For about a month now there have been no problems anymore. We hope these tips will help you too.

Last edited:

thequick

Jan 14, 2014
Same problem, first with Moto G 2nd Gen and now Nexus 5X. Strangely it work for weeks with Nexus and than start with black screen ever so often, now it is unusable, work 1 on 3 time I try. If I try connect once and it doesn't work, no matter what I do screen will be black. If I switch car off lock and came back after at least 10 minutes it sometimes works. I used good quality usb c to usb cable (made by anker).
I tried those special rituals, switch BT first, or connect phone straight away without switching engine on - I don't think it makes any difference. Shame that after cars with that system been on the market for at least 6 month (I have Astra) it is still not fixed.
If anyone get any solution from Opel, please update us.

Reactions: jfmagnusson

smatty1

Apr 17, 2016
Same problem, first with Moto G 2nd Gen and now Nexus 5X. Strangely it work for weeks with Nexus and than start with black screen ever so often, now it is unusable, work 1 on 3 time I try. If I try connect once and it doesn't work, no matter what I do screen will be black. If I switch car off lock and came back after at least 10 minutes it sometimes works. I used good quality usb c to usb cable (made by anker).
I tried those special rituals, switch BT first, or connect phone straight away without switching engine on - I don't think it makes any difference. Shame that after cars with that system been on the market for at least 6 month (I have Astra) it is still not fixed.

My Android Auto stopped working. The phone says "Connected to your car" but the car does not recognize the phone and thus nothing happens. I have tested with all kinds of cables too. The dealer says they consulted Opel but since AA has not been officially released here they can do nothing about it. Guess it's time to give up.

Norfu

May 10, 2016
Hey guys,

I finally got it working without any issues. The procedure is similar to what was written above. Anyway, I'll post my procedure which is working since 2 month now without any failures:

1. Before you enter the car make sure Bluetooth and Wifi(In case you have Onstar) are turned off. (Note: BT and WiFi will be turned on automatically by AA later)
2. Plug in phone to USB cable.
3. Turn on Radio
4. Wait until Android Auto opens
5. NOW plug in key and turn it.

I was having an issue with my Honor Phone two weeks ago where it said that it is not compatible anymore. After that there was no connection at all. Solved this problem by downloading a new Honor firmware and reinstalling Android Auto afterwards.

Cheers,
Norman

hamurabi1

Feb 9, 2011
Hey guys,

I finally got it working without any issues. The procedure is similar to what was written above. Anyway, I'll post my procedure which is working since 2 month now without any failures:

1. Before you enter the car make sure Bluetooth and Wifi(In case you have Onstar) are turned off. (Note: BT and WiFi will be turned on automatically by AA later)
2. Plug in phone to USB cable.
3. Turn on Radio
4. Wait until Android Auto opens
5. NOW plug in key and turn it.

I was having an issue with my Honor Phone two weeks ago where it said that it is not compatible anymore. After that there was no connection at all. Solved this problem by downloading a new Honor firmware and reinstalling Android Auto afterwards.

Cheers,
Norman

I try with your method and it seems to work just fine...thanks for your post!

want to learn

Mar 25, 2016
Hi guys - having the same problem with new Hyundai and Nubia Z9 max. Only advice given by car dealership is try a new phone. Anyway decided to flash a few roms ( cm 13 and ressurection remix). Phone connects instantly without problems . Flashed a few stock roms and again black screen. Starting to think that there is a setting that I am missing on the stock roms or maybe they just wont support android auto. Prefer to stay on stock roms - would appreciate any work arounds

majestus

Oct 21, 2008
Having all the above described issues with my new Astra. Bluetooth dead, black screen and no sound, android auto problems. After a visit at the dealer, they informed me that they would change the whole sound system with a new one. And so happened. After that no problems at all, until now. I tried to use android auto but nothing happened due to the cable i used. I tried with 2 other original cables and it runs smoothly. Hope i don't have any other problems. From Greece

Dzardis

Aug 31, 2015
Short perfect quality USB cable is the key. I had the issues described above. Today I bought a USB Hub from Axagon. And Premium Cord USB cable 50cm. Now I can conect phone (Galaxy S6) anytime and switch to android auto works great and really fast. I can listen music from the USB and use android auto together. I hope it will help. Good luck.

sebden206

Sep 30, 2008
I had also some problems with my MY 18.5 Astra IntelliLink 900 V2. After some Hubs and Cables I can say it works by doing some optimization in the settings and equipment.

What did not work is a USB 3.0 Hub.

What finally worked is a cheap 2m nylon cable with a micro USB to USB-C Adapter. Means you can use such adapters!

Hub is a old cheap Belkin 2.0 hub with integrated short cord.

Settings that helped:

- new BT pairing
- in BT settings activated all options like Media and Telephone ...
- in AA disabled autostart (starts with selection of AA in the IntelliLink)
- in AA settings disable wifi at start and enable BT (only for sure)
- plug the phone in AFTER BT is established.

What work is Spotify by using Maps and also Camsam (Blitzer.de) with audio per BT audio instead HFP.

Camsam can autostart with BT established at known devices like the Astra :)

Hope ist helps someone! I'm from Germany, sorry if some menu points are not correct translated!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Anyway what he said is: