• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Blade A3 Prime (Visible)

Search This thread

lopestom

Nov 7, 2012
Archland - Narnia
mewe.com
While I had TWRP in what had appeared to be running for each time I selected an option it would just bring me back to the screen where you have to move the slider at the bottom of the screen to the far right to get back into the options. The thing is, it ran once I had flashed the two files and rebooted back to fastboot instead of doing a hard reboot. Once you reboot out of recovery your stuck in the endless flashing TWRP screen.

One good thing to come from this lead me to write post #472. Seems to work so far every time I get stuck in some form of a boot loop.
I get it.
Perhaps because it is a boot.img there is a need to install a ramdisk on the partition. I hope someone can understand what I'm writing. But I'm still 90% sure my TWRP file is bad. So we have to test new files to make sure the ramdisk step is really needed or not.

Well now I ask you to see the message in PM.

tlopez51

Jan 25, 2011
I get it.
Perhaps because it is a boot.img there is a need to install a ramdisk on the partition. I hope someone can understand what I'm writing. But I'm still 90% sure my TWRP file is bad. So we have to test new files to make sure the ramdisk step is really needed or not.

Well now I ask you to see the message in PM.
Got it. Will check.

tlopez51

Jan 25, 2011
This is from the testing of ZTE_Z5157-BladeA3PrimeYahoo-TWRP-Test2.zip. Partially working after flashing the hacked boot_a.img and vbmeta files and then sending a --> [fastboot reboot fastboot] command allowed TRWP to get this far. Note on a reboot to android bluetooth no longer functions.

Note also I had to do a complete wipe of the phone ie: "Download All + Format" in SPFT.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_002524.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002524.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211016_002550.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002550.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211016_002603.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002603.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002630.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002630.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002658.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002658.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002958.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002958.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002724.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002724.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002734.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002734.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_003235.jpg
    IMG_20211016_003235.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002749.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002749.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_002812.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002812.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211016_002829.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002829.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211016_002837.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002837.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211016_002947.jpg
    IMG_20211016_002947.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211016_003015.jpg
    IMG_20211016_003015.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lopestom

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia L1
This is from the testing of ZTE_Z5157-BladeA3PrimeYahoo-TWRP-Test2.zip. Partially working after flashing the hacked boot_a.img and vbmeta files and then sending a --> [fastboot reboot fastboot] command allowed TRWP to get this far. Note on a reboot to android blutooth no longer functions.

Note also I had to do a complete wipe of the phone ie: "Download All + Format" in SPFT.
You should try erasing internal storage to remove encryption that might fix slot of the problems

lopestom

Nov 7, 2012
Archland - Narnia
mewe.com
This is from the testing of ZTE_Z5157-BladeA3PrimeYahoo-TWRP-Test2.zip. Partially working after flashing the hacked boot_a.img and vbmeta files and then sending a --> [fastboot reboot fastboot] command allowed TRWP to get this far. Note on a reboot to android bluetooth no longer functions.

I prefer that we can have everything reported in a PM so that there is no external interference from people who have a guess in their comments.

Some considerations: Red messages for /system; /system_root and /vendor are normal on TWRP-A10.
As for non-functional parts of bluetooth they should be seen as company lock in ROM. I've seen this happen with other devices after flashing the TWRP or making modifications. The company somehow blocks the functioning of bluetooth, fingerprint, Wifi and anything else it wants.
Unfortunately this is how it is. But luckily there are ways to fix this. We'll solve this part later.

So now for all ZTE users in this thread need wait for updates and changes of TWRP file.

Whenever you want to test the TWRP do the FORMAT DATA step first or do it with the original recovery of the device completely wiped with Wipes (data and cache). I've already written how to use fastboot for this, so it's another way.
Without doing this, TWRP will not be able to find the device's storages. So you can see the 0MB size in the backup process which indicates the need for FORMAT DATA. After that, Reboot - Recovery and try to see if in the backup process the size is bigger than 0MB.

tcs100

Oct 14, 2021
I was finally able to do a complete backup of my Z5157VV1.0.0B11. I had to press ctrl alt v to enter advanced mode in SPFT and select SRAM instead of DRAM and hold vol down while plugging in the phone. I also used the original WwR scatter file with length 0x80000.

tcs100

Oct 14, 2021
I created a Clean Firmware, including user data in WwR. If I need to recover do I do a Format All + Download or Download Only in SPFT? Approximately how long will this take? Will it return my phone to the exact state that is in right now?

tlopez51

Jan 25, 2011
I created a Clean Firmware, including user data in WwR. If I need to recover do I do a Format All + Download or Download Only in SPFT? Approximately how long will this take? Will it return my phone to the exact state that is in right now?
Do not use Format All+Download to restore! Only use Download to do any type of file recovery.

Generally speaking a restore may take up to 20 mins on a slow pc and less on a faster one not to mention the usb transfer rate plays a role in this as well.

With regards to what gets restored. The purpose of WwR is to make a backup of your device's critical system files only. After you do a restore and upon reboot you will be brought to the Android Recovery Screen and prompted to do a data wipe/factory restore. Hence you will need to go through the initial phone setup as when turned ON the very first time. Afterwards you can restore personal data and apps from either or both the cloud and personal app or service.

tlopez51

Jan 25, 2011
I was finally able to do a complete backup of my Z5157VV1.0.0B11. I had to press ctrl alt v to enter advanced mode in SPFT and select SRAM instead of DRAM and hold vol down while plugging in the phone. I also used the original WwR scatter file with length 0x80000.
Holding vol down and letting go once you see some transfer activity is the right method. Setting the length to 0x80000 only makes the partition size twice bigger than it needs to be but works.

Last edited:

tcs100

Oct 14, 2021
Do not use Format All+Download to restore! Only use Download to do any type of file recovery.

Generally speaking a restore may take up to 20 mins on a slow pc and less on a faster one not to mention the usb transfer rate plays a role in this as well.

With regards to what gets restored. The purpose of WwR is to make a backup of your device's critical system files only. After you do a restore and upon reboot you will be brought to the Android Recovery Screen and prompted to do a data wipe/factory restore. Hence you will need to go through the initial phone setup as when turned ON the very first time. Afterwards you can restore personal data and apps from either or both the cloud and personal app or service.
Are you saying that a full readback in SPFT does not save IMEI and setup info. I thought that was the purpose of doing the full readback, so a Download of the images created in WwR would restore to the original state. If not, how can that info be saved and restored?

lopestom

Nov 7, 2012
Archland - Narnia
mewe.com
Are you saying that a full readback in SPFT does not save IMEI and setup info. I thought that was the purpose of doing the full readback, so a Download of the images created in WwR would restore to the original state. If not, how can that info be saved and restored?
SPFT can back up files from your device in two ways. It depends on the user's choice.
1- Backup the entire contents of the device, ie all partitions in a single file. This can be called ROM_1.
2- Back up all partitions on the device, that is, each partition will be saved in specific files. This can be called ROM_0 or better rename to preloader.bin, ROM_2 or better rename to boot.img, and so on.

The big thing is that if there is the NVDATA, NVRAM or NVCFG file saved it is in the ROM_1 file (usually it is about the same size as the device storage, if 64GB, it will be around 62GB.). Open the ROM_1 file with 7-zip and you will see many files (which are the device's partitions), including NVDATA,......

If you did it with SPFT or WWR then the ability to have NVDATA saved is great. But flashing the specific file has different ways like SPFT or fastboot or TWRP.

With SPFT there are two ways: Write Memory or enable in the MT6xxx_scatter.txt file the installation of the specific file in the desired partition.

Anyway, if you have the NVDATA and NVRAM files, the device's IMEI is safe and with the possibility of restoration.

tlopez51

Jan 25, 2011
What version of SPFT you have? I don't see those options in the version I am using v5.2020.
IMEI is stored in nvdata and is a system file so yes IMEI is saved when making a full backup. Having said that, a full backup as you've done should not be shared. If your intent is to have a backup that you can use to quickly unbrick a device then you can in WwR make a minimal backup too which will not contain sensitive data for others to exploit.

A full backup such as what WwR extracts from the device does not contain user setup information unlike cloning which captures everything.

Last edited:

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia L1
What version of SPFT you have? I don't see those options in the version I am using v5.2020.

IMEI is stored in nvdata and is a system file so yes IMEI is saved when making a full backup. Having said that, a full backup as you've done should not be shared. If your intent is to have a backup that you can use to quickly unbrick a device then you can in WwR make a minimal backup too which will not contain sensitive data for others to exploit.

A full backup such as what WwR extracts from the device does not contain user setup information unlike cloning which captures everything.
I think setup info isn't captured cause wwr mtk generates an empty userdata file

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia L1
I prefer that we can have everything reported in a PM so that there is no external interference from people who have a guess in their comments.

Some considerations: Red messages for /system; /system_root and /vendor are normal on TWRP-A10.
As for non-functional parts of bluetooth they should be seen as company lock in ROM. I've seen this happen with other devices after flashing the TWRP or making modifications. The company somehow blocks the functioning of bluetooth, fingerprint, Wifi and anything else it wants.
Unfortunately this is how it is. But luckily there are ways to fix this. We'll solve this part later.

So now for all ZTE users in this thread need wait for updates and changes of TWRP file.

Whenever you want to test the TWRP do the FORMAT DATA step first or do it with the original recovery of the device completely wiped with Wipes (data and cache). I've already written how to use fastboot for this, so it's another way.
Without doing this, TWRP will not be able to find the device's storages. So you can see the 0MB size in the backup process which indicates the need for FORMAT DATA. After that, Reboot - Recovery and try to see if in the backup process the size is bigger than 0MB.
hey man I hope u don’t mind but do u mind telling me how u made ur twrp tree because I’m planning to build twrp for my device and the tree i made is pretty 💩 because when building it can’t find bootctrl

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia L1
hey man I hope u don’t mind but do u mind telling me how u made ur twrp tree because I’m planning to build twrp for my device and the tree i made is pretty 💩 because when building it can’t find bootctrl
Never mind I found lopestoms device tree for another mt6761 phone (oukitel wp5) I edited the tree added my own fstab and built the twrp is flawless thanks lopestom for the tree

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Just came back to this after a month or so to see a somewhat-working TWRP for this phone. Man, this is awesome. I'll be reading back to see if it's viable to install or still in testing. I still need to read back on this thread and try to give myself a TL;DR summary of what's happened. I see @lopestom has once again worked his magic, and has yet again saved the day for us MediaTek plebeians.

But I also came here to do a dump of the contents on my Mega. XDA allows us to upload large files to here now, and my Mega account is getting pretty full, so I want to transfer everything I have that's Blade A3 Prime related from Mega to here. That means any download links pointing to my Mega will be broken (like if I linked something in this thread before), but everything can be found on this post from now on.

disclaimer
Feel free to use any of my stuff in any way you see fit. The only thing I ask is that if you do improve on something, share it with everyone else and don't just keep it for yourself. Keep it going for the good of the community/public.
/disclaimer

Attachments

• CUSTOM-blade-yahoo-boot-1252.img
    17.4 MB · Views: 1
  • CUSTOM-vbmeta_Mod-MT6761.img
    4 KB · Views: 2
  • CommandToUseForVbmetaMod.txt
    89 bytes · Views: 1
  • MT6761_Android_scatter.txt
    19.9 KB · Views: 1
  • STOCK-YahooMobileBoot.img
    32 MB · Views: 0
  • STOCK-BladeA3Prime-YahooMobile.zip
    1.7 GB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Never mind I found lopestoms device tree for another mt6761 phone (oukitel wp5) I edited the tree added my own fstab and built the twrp is flawless thanks lopestom for the tree
    No I haven't gotten root on the Visible firmware. I have root on the Yahoo firmware. We don't know what is causing the bootlooping when trying to flash the magisk boot image on the Visible firmware. I'll attach the steps below of what I did to get root on the Yahoo firmware.. keep in mind my device originally had the Visible firmware (Z5157V) on it.

1) Flash Stock Yahoo Firmware (Z5157Y)

2) Enable Developer Options

3) Enable OEM Unlock & USB Debugging in Developer Options

4) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

5) Ensure Device is Recognized by PC
    fastboot devices

6) Proceed with Unlocking
    (Press Volume Up After Each Command to Confirm)
    fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical

7) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot

8) Enable USB Debugging Again
    (OEM Unlock Should be Grayed Out & Enabled)

9) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

10) Flash VBmeta (Obtained from thread #283)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta <PATH-TO-VBMETA-FILE-HERE>

11) Flash Modded Boot Image (Obtained from thread #284)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot <PATH-TO-BOOT-IMAGE-FILE-HERE>
    View attachment 5382835View attachment 5382837
    gonna borrow your steps and tweak it for any visible users:

1) Enable Developer Options

2) Enable OEM Unlock & USB Debugging in Developer Options

3) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

4) Ensure Device is Recognized by PC
    fastboot devices

5) Proceed with Unlocking
    (Press Volume Up After Each Command to Confirm)
    fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical

6) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot

7) Enable USB Debugging Again
    (OEM Unlock Should be Grayed Out & Enabled)

8) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

9) Flash VBmeta (Obtained from thread #283)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta <PATH-TO-VBMETA-FILE-HERE>

10) Flash Boot OSS unpatched Image (Obtained from thread #215) (SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU'RE CONFIDENT PATCHING WILL NOT BOOTLOOP YOUR DEVICE)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot <PATH-TO-BOOT-IMAGE-FILE-HERE>

11) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot

12) If step 11 works without bootlooping, install magisk canary 23001 and patch boot file from step 10

13) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

14) Flash magisk patched OSS boot image

15) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot
    I hope so too. Hope to understand this /super partition crap. I can't guarantee anything, but now that I'll have one, I can work much faster than solely doing it via messages like this and waiting for someone else to test.
    Good news, won the bid. Wait a week or two and I'll be in the game for real
    @tlopez51 I've been gone for a while, looks like a LOT happened in the span of 2 months. Would you be cool giving a TLDR summary of the progress? It looks like Magisk is finally working, that's great!
    Good to hear from you. Surely I would help in anyway to provide an update but I am not familiar with TLDR. Also, just like you I had dropped out after the last and final Magisk release but periodically would check in.

Just recent there's been a spark of interest on this project and I see some folks have had some issues. Thanks to member luridphantom for keeping a watchful eye to help others while I slept at the wheel.

Overall I think the most pressing problem is the result of wiping clean the IMEI to recover from the endless bootloop status. This would not be an issue at all if an oem rom backup was available to restore from. I myself have one such phone. You may recall I had jumped right into this project failing to take a snapshot of the oem rom due to that I was having some issues at the time but nevertheless took the risk. Unfortunately many did not heed to the warnings I too posted. As a result, I went ahead and revised my previous guides and hopefully any new comer will not fall into the same trap.

Just an FYI.
    From all of my research the IMEI is not hard coded on this phone as far as I can tell but working to find out where it was kept it turns out is in the nvdata file which you will have from a backup. You can always flash this file back and it will restore the IEMI. In a pinch, you can flash the nvdata file from a working phone to another ZTE Blade A3 Prime where the IMEI was wiped clean to get data and calling features working again.

As you may know, topjohnwu is no longer working on the Magisk project so I think we hit a wall on any new or further developments. Not sure we can push this project any further along.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Good to hear from you. Surely I would help in anyway to provide an update but I am not familiar with TLDR. Also, just like you I had dropped out after the last and final Magisk release but periodically would check in.

Just recent there's been a spark of interest on this project and I see some folks have had some issues. Thanks to member luridphantom for keeping a watchful eye to help others while I slept at the wheel.

Overall I think the most pressing problem is the result of wiping clean the IMEI to recover from the endless bootloop status. This would not be an issue at all if an oem rom backup was available to restore from. I myself have one such phone. You may recall I had jumped right into this project failing to take a snapshot of the oem rom due to that I was having some issues at the time but nevertheless took the risk. Unfortunately many did not heed to the warnings I too posted. As a result, I went ahead and revised my previous guides and hopefully any new comer will not fall into the same trap.

Just an FYI.
    From all of my research the IMEI is not hard coded on this phone as far as I can tell but working to find out where it was kept it turns out is in the nvdata file which you will have from a backup. You can always flash this file back and it will restore the IEMI. In a pinch, you can flash the nvdata file from a working phone to another ZTE Blade A3 Prime where the IMEI was wiped clean to get data and calling features working again.

As you may know, topjohnwu is no longer working on the Magisk project so I think we hit a wall on any new or further developments. Not sure we can push this project any further along.

Let me know your thoughts.
    I was actually the one helping people here as well as others from the Discord but eh oh well lol. So there's no way to modify the nvdata file?
    So we cannot flash between variants then? Like visible should not flash yahoo? I'll update my AF post when I get a computer to access it on. I take it this somehow boot looped and wiped peoples devices. Which is weird, because I recall you doing it before and you had no issues.

Be careful too with IMEI changing, in certain countries like the USA it's *basically* illegal to wipe or change the IMEI of your phone to something else, the only exception being to restore a lost one (that came with the device).

I did not know Magisk support stopped. Did he say why? What will replace it? That's a shame since Magisk seemed to be the only way to get root access these days.
    Actually the only way I was able to get root was by first flashing the Yahoo stock firmware from your site.. I'm unable to get root on the Visible variant no matter what I try