Blade A3 Prime (Visible)

Search This thread

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA
Doing anything listed here will void your warranty. I don't know the laws where you are so assume it makes you a criminal. These things are posted here for educational purposes only. Never follow any guide if you don't understand the commands.

Enough BS, let's jump in.

For windows users. Installing drivers:
1. Plug USB cable into PC.
2. On the A3 prime, instead of using USB as charging, select use USB as Updating Firmware (i forget actual wording)
3. A prompt will come up on Windows, install those drivers.
4. Reboot.

Install adb and fastboot on your PC, it is up to you to do this.
Enable developer options on your phone, and enable USB debugging and OEM Unlocking.

In your CMD/Shell/Whatever you have.
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flashing unlock (use volume up to confirm)
fastboot flashing unlock_critical (use volume up to confirm)

Congrats you've unlocked the bootloader.

Use 'fastboot reboot' to reboot if you haven't done so already.

-----

this is where the progress on this device comes to a halt.

The kernel source is available from opensource.ztedevices.com

The device codename is Z5157V, the Kernel they have is listed under Z5157V Q(10) Kernel(4.4.185)

What needs to happen next? Someone needs to compile the kernel from source.

Once that is done, they can extract the boot.img from it, use Magisk, and make a modified boot.img

Whoila, they will now have root. Once this person has root, they can extract recovery.img from the device, and we can begin making a custom TWRP, or who knows, maybe Team Win will pick it up (unlikely).

Once we have a custom recovery and working Magisk, it's just a matter of time before we start seeing custom ROMS.

If someone will sign up to be a guinea pig, or has an extra A3 Prime laying around I will continue development. I bricked mine because I was impulsive and honestly, kinda stupid. (browse through thread to see my idiocy)

Until such a time that I come to possess another A3 Prime OR someone steps up to provide a firmware dump, I am unable to help.

Good luck developing!

Last edited:

Syst3ms

Jul 7, 2020
Only managed to unlock the bootloader but can't seem to find any information on rooting it.
The structure is indeed different than what you would normally expect to find. 'recovery' isn't a valid partition when trying to flash under fastboot for example.
The only reason I'm interested in trying to root this device is because The mtk engineering mode app doesn't work on this phone, at least not the visible version, so band locking doesn't seem possible without root and a different rom.

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA
Yeah, I bricked my device by flashing a universal MTK TWRP.

Came here to say this, do not flash universal MTK.

It is a soft brick, bootloops with no access to stock or TWRP recovery.

The phone's model number is Z5157V and the stock firmware is Z5157VV1.0.0B17 for google indexing reasons. Only place that MAY have it is behind a $40 pay wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: s4goa

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA
I have never compiled a kernel from source, but I'm eager to learn, I have two days in the wilderness planned ahead of me. If anyone would compile the kernel, that is great. If not? I'll get it done when I get back.

Been playing around with the phone and key combinations, I think I have found a way to use SP Flash Tool in it's current soft brick state.

If I am successful in compiling the kernel, I will share it.

If I am able to unbrick this phone, I will write a guide.

If those two things happen, I'll be moving forward to make an AOSP based custom ROM for this phone. Maybe a first for a $100 device, but I like root.

If anyone else knows HOW to compile the kernel, you'd put me a few steps ahead when I get back.

Either way, nearly 200 lurkers on this thread, I hope to have answers soon.

s4goa

Nov 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S4
fastboot

dude, in order to avoid fuqqing confusion you ought not abbreviate a shell command like you do.

Anyhow, since we two guys have different phones, it makes sense only for me to generally discuss the rooting strategy on a ZTE Spreadtrum phone, as the specifics will differ too much.

I have fastboot on a Lumigon T3 as my "ZTE blade A5 2019" does not have fastboot.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

rooters, come join https://xdaforums.com/group.php?groupid=1925

Last edited:

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA
dude, in order to avoid fuqqing confusion you ought not abbreviate a shell command like you do.

Anyhow, since we two fuys have different phones, it makes sense only for me to generally discuss the rooting strategy on a ZTE Spreadtrum phone, as the specifics will differ too much.

I have fastboot on a Lumigon T3 as my "ZTE blade A5 2019" does not have fastboot..

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

rooters, come join https://xdaforums.com/group.php?groupid=1925

Sorry, for clarity if on Linux type su and your root password, or use sudo to escalate your permissions if you don't have permission to use fastboot as a regular user.

If you're on windows, consider a free upgrade, but also leave out sudo and once in fastboot mode on a3 prime, type
1. (sudo) fastboot flashing unlock
2. (sudo) fastboot flashing unlock_critical

Press volume up when prompted and congrats your warranty is now void, bootloader unlocked. I'm not responsible for your choices.

s4goa

Nov 25, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S4
fastboot

this "orange state unlock bootloader" has - however - nothing or little to do with "Developer Menu option UNLOCK BOOTLOADER"

do you know more about this?

on my Lumigon these 2 unlockings are independent of each other, never mind the identical name "unlock bootloader". :confused:

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA
this "orange state unlock bootloader" has - however - nothing or little to do with "Developer Menu option UNLOCK BOOTLOADER"

do you know more about this?

on my Lumigon these 2 unlockings are independent of each other, never mind the identical name "unlock bootloader". :confused:

Yeah, you'll need to toggle that option to on in Developer Settings before entering the bootloader/fastboot mode and running the unlock commands or they will fail.

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA

zaduma

Aug 18, 2010
Indiana, USA
Sorry to anyone following this thread, I will continue working on building the kernel, extracting boot, and getting this phone rooted. I will need a volunteer to test the root solution once it is built, and then if possible follow a few steps and extract recovery.img on your newly rooted device and send that to me.

I just don't have the time today even though I said I would be doing it. If there are any volunteers with an A3 prime let me know!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No I haven't gotten root on the Visible firmware. I have root on the Yahoo firmware. We don't know what is causing the bootlooping when trying to flash the magisk boot image on the Visible firmware. I'll attach the steps below of what I did to get root on the Yahoo firmware.. keep in mind my device originally had the Visible firmware (Z5157V) on it.

1) Flash Stock Yahoo Firmware (Z5157Y)

2) Enable Developer Options

3) Enable OEM Unlock & USB Debugging in Developer Options

4) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

5) Ensure Device is Recognized by PC
    fastboot devices

6) Proceed with Unlocking
    (Press Volume Up After Each Command to Confirm)
    fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical

7) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot

8) Enable USB Debugging Again
    (OEM Unlock Should be Grayed Out & Enabled)

9) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

10) Flash VBmeta (Obtained from thread #283)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta <PATH-TO-VBMETA-FILE-HERE>

11) Flash Modded Boot Image (Obtained from thread #284)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot <PATH-TO-BOOT-IMAGE-FILE-HERE>
    View attachment 5382835View attachment 5382837
    gonna borrow your steps and tweak it for any visible users:

1) Enable Developer Options

2) Enable OEM Unlock & USB Debugging in Developer Options

3) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

4) Ensure Device is Recognized by PC
    fastboot devices

5) Proceed with Unlocking
    (Press Volume Up After Each Command to Confirm)
    fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical

6) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot

7) Enable USB Debugging Again
    (OEM Unlock Should be Grayed Out & Enabled)

8) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

9) Flash VBmeta (Obtained from thread #283)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta <PATH-TO-VBMETA-FILE-HERE>

10) Flash Boot OSS unpatched Image (Obtained from thread #215) (SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU'RE CONFIDENT PATCHING WILL NOT BOOTLOOP YOUR DEVICE)
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot <PATH-TO-BOOT-IMAGE-FILE-HERE>

11) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot

12) If step 11 works without bootlooping, install magisk canary 23001 and patch boot file from step 10

13) Boot to Bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

14) Flash magisk patched OSS boot image

15) Reboot Device
    fastboot reboot
    I hope so too. Hope to understand this /super partition crap. I can't guarantee anything, but now that I'll have one, I can work much faster than solely doing it via messages like this and waiting for someone else to test.
    Good news, won the bid. Wait a week or two and I'll be in the game for real
    Managed to get the kernel from opensource.ztedevices.com, just beginning to work on it now (not sure how I'm gonna get my phone out of bootloop mode, but I'll solve it later)
    Update: MediaTek Man @lopestom sent me instructions for how to properly flash GSI's on Android 10 devices. This was the message he sent to me directly, in response to the instructions I posted before:

Maybe he need try flashing in the system_a partition for test.
    When have vbmeta mod flashed so may be not need flash that again. Only if have error flashing GSI.img so try reflashing vbmeta too.

I wrote this for me and other users A10 a time ago:

1. You need know the difference about fastboot and FASTBOOTD in your device!!
    Your device has bootloader mode: recovery - fastboot - reboot (system)
    Stock recovery has very options: reboot system - reboot to bootloader - wipe - Enter fastboot - ...
    reboot to bootloader => normal fastboot
    Enter fastboot => FASTBOOTD
    FASTBOOTD => some options

2. Device in fastboot
    fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

3. fastboot -w

4. fastboot reboot fastboot
    (you MUST be at the FASTBOOTD menu now. If not, you will not be able to flash the GSI successfully)

5. fastboot erase system
    or
    fastboot delete-logical-partition system

6. fastboot delete-logical-partition product
    - deletes the product partition, allowing a larger system partition

I not need resize-logical-partition product. But if you want:
    You will need a larger system partition to flash a GSI. There are 2 ways to achieve this
    6A. fastboot resize-logical-partition product 509344768
    6B. fastboot resize-logical-partition system 3089272064 or 3889272064
    resizes product and system partitions. This gives you about 3GB of system partitions. You can adjust or arrive at your own numbers if you want different sizes.

7. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash system GSI.img

8. fastboot -w
    for confirm great & fast start GSI

9. fastboot reboot bootloader
    9A. fastboot erase userdata
    for confirm and boot clean

10. Reboot to system
    fastboot reboot
    Enjoy
    !

EDIT: He also sent me something else called Treble Toolkit, that's a nice GUI for doing a lot of Treble related stuff. Maybe this can help us too: