Blade Buddy - New free advanced settings app *needs root*

Charles Darke

Apr 3, 2007
droidgram.com
OK. Version 1.0 of Blade Buddy released. Features include changing the following settings:

- Hardware acceleration (required for some games to run)
- Disable boot animation
- Enable/Disable Stagefright codecs (helps some games, and videos - depends on device whether this helps or not)
- Disable forced camera shutter sound
- Change LCD Density
- Change WIFI scanning interval
- Alter Dalvik VM Heap Size
- Alter Dalvik VM Heap Start Size
- Alter Dalvik VM Heap Growth Limit
- Ability to remount /system as read-write or read-only, effectively turning any explorer into a Root Explorer
- Integration with basic settings Spare Parts Plus!

Get it now from the Android Market for free:

As a sneak peak and to show what future ideas I have on the roadmap, see screenshots below:

stkiswr

Aug 11, 2010
I installed the spare parts plus and found this app too. I have changed my vm heap to 64m for testing purposes and so far its a great app. Not much info inside the app as far as explaining vm heap growth etc but as long as you know what you are doing this is an excellent tool
I would like to add that a reboot option after changing vm heap or at least notifying that the susystem should be rebooted to stick settings wouldn't hurt. Very nice app

obsidianchao

Jan 12, 2011
What's the hex editor do? Is it like GameCIH or something?

As for everything else, I'm a bit phobic of bad things happening to my phone, so I won't PERSONALLY utilize it, but great app, dude.

Charles Darke

Apr 3, 2007
droidgram.com
I installed the spare parts plus and found this app too. I have changed my vm heap to 64m for testing purposes and so far its a great app. Not much info inside the app as far as explaining vm heap growth etc but as long as you know what you are doing this is an excellent tool
I would like to add that a reboot option after changing vm heap or at least notifying that the susystem should be rebooted to stick settings wouldn't hurt. Very nice app
Thanks. Good suggestion on the notification. I will add this for the next release.

Regarding documentation, check the website, it has some documentation on the settings.

Charles Darke

Apr 3, 2007
droidgram.com
What's the hex editor do? Is it like GameCIH or something?

As for everything else, I'm a bit phobic of bad things happening to my phone, so I won't PERSONALLY utilize it, but great app, dude.
Re: hexeditor, this is to change some specific files, but I haven't implemented this yet.

I also released a clockworkmod zip recovery file. if you have a working CW recovery and mess up your settings, you can install the zip from CWR and undo the mess you make ;)

mkeena0305

Apr 29, 2009
I'm trying to set a shortcut to use the ui reboot as an icon on my home screen. I'm using lpp. Nice to have a reboot activity

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

forceu

Jun 23, 2010
Oh great. so I just wanted to try disabling boot animation and apparently your app writes all the values into the /data/local.prop - even these that are unchanged.
Well, my problem was that the read out LCD density values were wrong and so my phone thought after a reboot I had a 30x45 pixel screen -.-

Took me half an hour to delete that file so I could use my phone again. Change this, it takes only a few more minutes to program that only changed values are written in the file!

By the way, I'm using a HTC Magic with CM6.1, 2708er Kernel and 2.22.28.25 radio.
I hope that helps.

hailmary

Jan 10, 2009
manila
www.facebook.com
i will download this Blade app,looks & sounds like a very productive tool.
but im a little noob to the deeper android terms..what is a dalvik thing?
what does it do?
i love the reboot & other tweak features but i dont know whats the dalviks are.

hope u guys can give me any hint about it thanks.

jdb78

Nov 17, 2008
i will download this Blade app,looks & sounds like a very productive tool.
but im a little noob to the deeper android terms..what is a dalvik thing?
what does it do?
i love the reboot & other tweak features but i dont know whats the dalviks are.

hope u guys can give me any hint about it thanks.
Dalvik is the name of the virtual machine used in Android. Heap size has to do with the amount of memory reserved for apps in easy words I guess.

Nevertheless if you don't know what you are doing, you are not supposed to mess with those settings. The devs of your favorite ROM will set everything up to the best possible configuration I assume.

Charles Darke

Apr 3, 2007
droidgram.com
Oh great. so I just wanted to try disabling boot animation and apparently your app writes all the values into the /data/local.prop - even these that are unchanged.
Well, my problem was that the read out LCD density values were wrong and so my phone thought after a reboot I had a 30x45 pixel screen -.-

Took me half an hour to delete that file so I could use my phone again. Change this, it takes only a few more minutes to program that only changed values are written in the file!

By the way, I'm using a HTC Magic with CM6.1, 2708er Kernel and 2.22.28.25 radio.
I hope that helps.
the app reads existing settings from the different prop files and also current settings and writes those. It shouldn't change anything unless it is not defined. Can you send me a copy of your .prop files so i can review? And or send me a screenshot of what the settings are on read? Thanks.

Also you can use the zip file to reset from cwm if settings are messed up.

bladez

Nov 6, 2007
Didn't even touch the LCD Density settings, but it made my screen really, really big after reboot (I only enabled Stagefright and longened WiFi search).

Got everything back with Clockwork recovery reset file, but...... wtf?

HTC Tattoo CyanogenMod 7.0.0

Charles Darke

Apr 3, 2007
droidgram.com
Didn't even touch the LCD Density settings, but it made my screen really, really big after reboot (I only enabled Stagefright and longened WiFi search).

Got everything back with Clockwork recovery reset file, but...... wtf?

HTC Tattoo CyanogenMod 7.0.0
Thanks for the feedback. I will release a test app for those having this issue who want to help fix for their phones.