• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Blank App?

Search This thread

NewbRooter89

Aug 19, 2018
Apps & Games
I have a blank App in my app drawer since I flashed my custom ROM and now they're 3 of them. When I tap on the app info it says I need a broader app to view it. I included a screenshot. Anyone know what these are?

Also, my phone keeps randomly rebooting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191205-122103_Trebuchet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-122103_Trebuchet.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 69
@newbrooster89
Looks like apps left from maybe a backup of whatever launcher you were using on your previous setup. Shows the partial icons but not the whole app because they are not installed now. That's what it appears to be. I use nova prime and, I can hold down (long press) an icon and it gives me options and one is playstore and you can select that and it takes you to play store to the app. See if you can long press and maybe select "search" or something that will take you to the app. If not just swipe em off your screen. Its nothing to be worried about. Just something from a past launcher backup/restore.

Edit/added:
Explain how you installed? What rom, what gapps package... What did you wipe in twrp recovery?

I always wipe data and system and cache unless whoever made the rom states not to in their op. (original post) Ex: Lineage 17 The dev says to only wipe data in twrp so that's what I do... otherwise I wipe data, system, cache flash rom, flash twrp installer zip reboot system. Then I boot back into twrp and install gapps and magisk zip for root and reboot system. That's my usual method for installing a rom.

I recommend a factory reset either through your phones settings or fastboot or twrp. See if that stops your reboots ..

Last edited:

NewbRooter89

Aug 19, 2018
Apps & Games
@newbrooster89
Looks like apps left from maybe a backup of whatever launcher you were using on your previous setup. Shows the partial icons but not the whole app because they are not installed now. That's what it appears to be. I use nova prime and, I can hold down (long press) an icon and it gives me options and one is playstore and you can select that and it takes you to play store to the app. See if you can long press and maybe select "search" or something that will take you to the app. If not just swipe em off your screen. Its nothing to be worried about. Just something from a past launcher backup/restore.

Edit/added:
Explain how you installed? What rom, what gapps package... What did you wipe in twrp recovery?

I always wipe data and system and cache unless whoever made the rom states not to in their op. (original post) Ex: Lineage 17 The dev says to only wipe data in twrp so that's what I do... otherwise I wipe data, system, cache flash rom, flash twrp installer zip reboot system. Then I boot back into twrp and install gapps and magisk zip for root and reboot system. That's my usual method for installing a rom.

I recommend a factory reset either through your phones settings or fastboot or twrp. See if that stops your reboots ..

I just ended up deleting everything and flashing a whole new ROM. I was on Lineage 17 but kept having so many bugs that I decided to try a different one. Thanks for the advice though.

That's what I was using and I had so many bugs and issues with it.

Then something was wrong on your end because lineage 17 is very close to being flawless. I've used it several times and always worked great for me.

Flash latest factory image & let it wipe (fastboot -w) at the end don't remove the fastboot -w in the script, if you did. I know many people do that ...
Boot twrp and Wipe data, flash lineage 17 w/gapps
Flash twrp installer (I use 3313) reboot system ...
Boot twrp, flash magisk root zip reboot system.

That's how I've always installed lineage and works great. Sounds like you had something interfering with it. Maybe residue from a past install or something but it was most definitely user error. Reflash factory image and wipe data and install it and it will be close to flawless. If not get logs and post them on lineage thread and someone there can tell you exactly what's going on. 11/30 build is not buggy.

sudoxd

Jan 16, 2017
Adelaide
sudoxd.xyz
Then something was wrong on your end because lineage 17 is very close to being flawless. I've used it several times and always worked great for me.

Flash latest factory image & let it wipe (fastboot -w) at the end don't remove the fastboot -w in the script, if you did. I know many people do that ...
Boot twrp and Wipe data, flash lineage 17 w/gapps
Flash twrp installer (I use 3313) reboot system ...
Boot twrp, flash magisk root zip reboot system.

That's how I've always installed lineage and works great. Sounds like you had something interfering with it. Maybe residue from a past install or something but it was most definitely user error. Reflash factory image and wipe data and install it and it will be close to flawless. If not get logs and post them on lineage thread and someone there can tell you exactly what's going on. 11/30 build is not buggy.

you dont even need to flash the factory image, will work fine flashing from whatever they have now

yes but why? just sounds like wasted time to me, our lives are short remember. that time could be spent with friends and family but no here you are flashing factory image before rom

But I love to flash factory image. Jkjk. ?? The reason I had initially posted that on my comment was because I thought if anything wasn't right on his setup it would square it away or if something was left from another past install on sdcard it would clear it all up. Sure a format data in twrp will do same I just thought of that as an easy thing to say that had a zero % chance of being misunderstood. And what if he was on 9.0? ? That's just how I thought at that moment when I commented that. I know Lineage 17 build for Marlin is damn near flawless. I've been using it off and on since it came out. I see you are the dev who makes that kernel. Saw your link to your work. I remember you from long ago (i used to have another user name but had my account deleted a while back) on some Nexus device everyone and their mom owned. Maybe the 5 or 5x or the Gnex idk but I remember your kernel because it was bad ass. :)

NewbRooter89

Aug 19, 2018
Apps & Games
It probably was something on my end. This is the first phone I've rooted with the A/B slots. I also did it through adb sideload because I was having issues with TWRP. I was also stuck in a bootloop when I installed it. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I did really like having Android 10 and my battery life was much better with lineage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a blank App in my app drawer since I flashed my custom ROM and now they're 3 of them. When I tap on the app info it says I need a broader app to view it. I included a screenshot. Anyone know what these are?

Also, my phone keeps randomly rebooting.

if you flashed anything other than lineage you deserve what you are getting