• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

BlissRoms 14.5 (R) for J5 (2016)[SM-J510x][VANILLA][UNOFFICIAL]

Search This thread

abdogeni

Dec 5, 2015
Samsung Galaxy J5
Hi jenslody, how are you and your daughter I hope she doing well now, thank you for keeping support for this amazing device, I feel I don't need to upgrade thanks to your efforts, I'm using this ROM as daily driver and I'm not facing any problem, the batterie is ok, I have more storage and fluid user experience, I used Franco kernel manager to boost the GPU frequency to the max so I can have smooth scrolling and animations, it didn't change things so much but it steel a small push to get the max of my device.

jenslody

Jun 13, 2017
Hi jenslody, how are you and your daughter I hope she doing well now, thank you for keeping support for this amazing device, I feel I don't need to upgrade thanks to your efforts, I'm using this ROM as daily driver and I'm not facing any problem, the batterie is ok, I have more storage and fluid user experience, I used Franco kernel manager to boost the GPU frequency to the max so I can have smooth scrolling and animations, it didn't change things so much but it steel a small push to get the max of my device.
She's okay, since summer a new medicine she get injected all two weeks additional to the one she gets once per week.
Due to this she needs no cortisone-containing eye drops every day anymore and that's at least a step forward.
I suffer from a amjor depression, but that's not new, it's sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Back to the rom:
Large parts of the sources have been rebased by the Bliss team, and not all customizations have been added back.
That's why I did not upload new builds in the last months, but it's not dead or forgotten.

abdogeni

Dec 5, 2015
Samsung Galaxy J5
She's okay, since summer a new medicine she get injected all two weeks additional to the one she gets once per week.
Due to this she needs no cortisone-containing eye drops every day anymore and that's at least a step forward.
I suffer from a amjor depression, but that's not new, it's sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Back to the rom:
Large parts of the sources have been rebased by the Bliss team, and not all customizations have been added back.
That's why I did not upload new builds in the last months, but it's not dead or forgotten.
Glad to hear the good news, this should significantly improve her life. I know that it is very difficult for you, you must be a strong man to face all these pressures.

We all suffer in our own way, but we must not give up and maintain a positive outlook for the future.

You are doing a great job for your daughter and for us too, I am very grateful, thank you again.

jenslody

Jun 13, 2017
Finally a new build is out (see OP for links).
The rom sourecs have been rebased, therefore the long delay and the increased version number (14.0 -> 14.1).
Not all customizations have beem added back and you might need to do a clean flash, but you can try a dirty one before you have to set up everything a gain.
As always a backup is recommended before updating.

If you don't mind to stay with february sec-patch there is no need to update, I think more customizations will come, but it's not up to me.

Cpxinoxs

Dec 5, 2020
wonderful. I have tested. Many bugs have been fixed. It works more stable than the previous version.

Blissrom 14.0> 2 points out of 10.
Blissrom 14.1> 4 points out of 10.

it has been productive work. Can be better. If it works more stable, can I request a couple of additional features in the future? Congratulations.

jimmypap

Apr 7, 2019
Hello sir, greetings from Greece!!
My model J510 F with nick gaps installed, new updates drains battery very fast.
Is there something wrong with my setup or rom bug?
With previous build from 100 battery after 10 hours light usage battery was approximately 75 to 80 percent, but now was 53 percent!!
Revert back to android 10 rom and everything is fine.
Thanks for your hard work to keep our model alive!!!!

denmasgie

Nov 12, 2020
Indonesia
The rom sourecs have been rebased, therefore the long delay and the increased version number (14.0 -> 14.1).
Not all customizations have beem added back and you might need to do a clean flash, but you can try a dirty one before you have to set up everything a gain.

If you don't mind to stay with february sec-patch there is no need to update, I think more customizations will come, but it's not up to me.
The Samsung J5 2016 (SM-J510UN) both come from the Base Model MSM8916, but I'm not sure if this rom is suitable for the Model Number I mentioned earlier.

jenslody

Jun 13, 2017
I just uploaded a new build to my server (links in OP as usually).
Rom version is now 14.3 with many customizations readded.
Security patch date is May 05.

This will most likely be the last build for the next one or two months, because of private reasons.

Dandroid898

Apr 6, 2021
Hello, I have a single problem in this ROM, the GPS of my cell phone does not locate anything, I need it to for example: locate my phone in case they rob me and another to navigate the streets of my country. This sent from my Samsung J510MN 2016 j5xnlte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A new build is online (see OP for links as usual).
    Several Rom changes, and of course July security patch.

The build is still permissive, because it simply does not work fully in enforcing mode.
    It took me some time to make it boot (no avc denials have been in logcat), but Wifi is broken and that's a no-go for me.
    So if you try to run it in enforcing mode and you get it booting (the relevant changes are still in device-sepolicy) you will most likely have a partly broken rom.

This is the first update after two months and it might be the last one.
    There is a reason I was not able to do updates the last two months and this reason is still valid (the only difference is, that I'm back home with fast internet), and I have to take care of myself.
    And I`m extremly frustrated at the moment, because to me some users seem to be very demanding, but nearly nobody gives anything back.
    As a teenager, I used to be all about custom roms and follow topics such as this one with lots of interest.
    As time passed however, a trend started becoming obvious.
    All custom roms have problems and no custom rom is perfect to replace the stock rom.
    You might try to lie to yourself that you have something better but in reality the stock rom is forever going to be the best thing you've got, no matter which phone you have.
    It's time you all buy a new phone or stick with the stock rom.
    Why exactly do all of you complicate your lives with a custom android 11 rom for a 2016 phone?
    What are the benefits of using this android over the latest final stock rom?
    What is so god damn great about android 11 on a 2016 phone, to actually warrant all of this hassle.
    I can understand why somebody might want to run the newest android on an old phone as a curiosity a proof of concept to experiment with it and see how it runs.
    But why would you ever want to daily drive a partially functioning rom that is supported just by one guy in his spare time, vs a stable stock rom that's tested by an army of official developers?

Does this rom manage to squeeze anything more from this dead and dusted old ass phone from 2016?
    Does running this rom, increase the battery time vs the sock android 7.1.1 rom?
    Does it magically make videos or photos look better than the stock rom?
    Does it make the whole phone using experience faster?
    What are the benefits of using this rom vs the stock rom??
    Does this rom make your life better or worse vs using the stock rom???
    These are the only questions that matter for me, when I draw the line!

I just want to know the answer. Why DO YOU, want this rom or any other custom rom for that matter?
    What do you crave for when you install this rom?
    What does your current android 7.1.1 lack and why can't you just live with android 7.1.1 like I do?
    I am serious. I have android 7.1.1 on my galaxy j5 2016 and everything I run on it simply works.
    I have the latest playstore I have the latest firefox/chrome browser, I can use youtube or youtube vanced with no trouble.
    I can play any game that my hardware is able to run(though I don't really play games on a phone because they suck)
    I have almost 2 days of battery life if I don't go crazy on youtube with it.
    I can use gmail, google maps, whatsapp, telegram, signal, I can take pictures and videos.
    I can use instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest, tiktock, tinder, uber, bolt, food delivery apps, calculator, caldendar, EVERYTHING and they all run fairly decent on such old hardware still.
    Remember this phone was nothing to brag about even back then in 2016 as it was cheap as dirt compared to it's bigger brothers.
    I can make phone calls and receive them. Sms or MMS if there's need for such old methods of texting.
    I can use my public transporation app to see when the bus or tram comes next to my station.
    I can use anything I want on this phone. It really never ever tells me this phone is too old for this or that app, I never once got a "sorry this android version is too old to your this app"
    I use the latest stock rom with a bought theme that I liked from the galaxy store and for the launcher I use Nova Launcher that I've configured to my liking.
    Nova launcher makes the phone so much snappier than the default launcher and so much better looking.
    I have the latest magisk version on it, everything rooted and happily working.
    I use file manager + everything just works.
    With the exception of a bigger screen, an in screen finger print reader for faster unlock, 120hz display and a better camera, there is no reason to upgrade this phone at all for me.
    It just does everything that I need and more and I've dropped it a million times and it's still not scratched or cracked.
    I've been using it since 2016 and the latest android 7.1.1 is enough!

So what exactly do you hope to achieve by throwing away a perfectly stable stock android 7.1.1 rom and replacing it with these various experimental frankenstein custom roms based on adndroid 10 or 11?

If anybody here has some mature smart answers, I would love to hear them.
    I bet not even one of you has asked themselves why are you flashing this rom on your phones.
    You are all greedy and want the latest version of everything and you don't even stop for a microsecond to ask yourselves if you really get something better or worse.

The build is still permissive, because it simply does not work fully in enforcing mode.
    It took me some time to make it boot (no avc denials have been in logcat), but Wifi is broken and that's a no-go for me.
    So if you try to run it in enforcing mode and you get it booting (the relevant changes are still in device-sepolicy) you will most likely have a partly broken rom.

There is a reason I was not able to do updates the last two months and this reason is still valid (the only difference is, that I'm back home with fast internet), and I have to take care of myself.
    And I`m extremly frustrated at the moment, because to me some users seem to be very demanding, but nearly nobody gives anything back.
    I fully understand your frustrations ...tbh you shoud abandoned this long time ago.. Thank you for best roms ever for j5 devices i wish you luck in your life and in other projects 🤗🥲👊

Thank you very much for the update, I hope you're doing right, we can't be more grateful for your hard work and keeping our device alive and updated.

Some people do not understand that you are doing this for free and host the ROMs in your own server for them, and like you said they don't give back even a thank you at least.

So stay strong and don't be mad of some comments, there is a high percentage that they are just kids playing around with their phones.

Personally, I always wait for your news and updates because your work is always at a high level and I trust your builds more than the others because you explain everything clearly and this ROM is a great example.

I hope your daughter doing well and have a good life now, I'm a father too, and I understand the situation very much.

Sorry for my English, it's not my native language, and Thank you again for this update and I wish you all the best for you and your family.

UPDATE:

The look is great of this update, the battery was very good in the last update I hop it remain like that, face unlock, new settings design, new quick settings design too, new wallpaper and more, I like it very much thank you jenslody this is good man.
    As a teenager, I used to be all about custom roms and follow topics such as this one with lots of interest.
    As time passed however, a trend started becoming obvious.
    All custom roms have problems and no custom rom is perfect to replace the stock rom.
    You might try to lie to yourself that you have something better but in reality the stock rom is forever going to be the best thing you've got, no matter which phone you have.
    It's time you all buy a new phone or stick with the stock rom.
    Why exactly do all of you complicate your lives with a custom android 11 rom for a 2016 phone?
    What are the benefits of using this android over the latest final stock rom?
    What is so god damn great about android 11 on a 2016 phone, to actually warrant all of this hassle.
    I can understand why somebody might want to run the newest android on an old phone as a curiosity a proof of concept to experiment with it and see how it runs.
    But why would you ever want to daily drive a partially functioning rom that is supported just by one guy in his spare time, vs a stable stock rom that's tested by an army of official developers?

Does this rom manage to squeeze anything more from this dead and dusted old ass phone from 2016?
    Does running this rom, increase the battery time vs the sock android 7.1.1 rom?
    Does it magically make videos or photos look better than the stock rom?
    Does it make the whole phone using experience faster?
    What are the benefits of using this rom vs the stock rom??
    Does this rom make your life better or worse vs using the stock rom???
    These are the only questions that matter for me, when I draw the line!

I just want to know the answer. Why DO YOU, want this rom or any other custom rom for that matter?
    What do you crave for when you install this rom?
    What does your current android 7.1.1 lack and why can't you just live with android 7.1.1 like I do?
    I am serious. I have android 7.1.1 on my galaxy j5 2016 and everything I run on it simply works.
    I have the latest playstore I have the latest firefox/chrome browser, I can use youtube or youtube vanced with no trouble.
    I can play any game that my hardware is able to run(though I don't really play games on a phone because they suck)
    I have almost 2 days of battery life if I don't go crazy on youtube with it.
    I can use gmail, google maps, whatsapp, telegram, signal, I can take pictures and videos.
    I can use instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest, tiktock, tinder, uber, bolt, food delivery apps, calculator, caldendar, EVERYTHING and they all run fairly decent on such old hardware still.
    Remember this phone was nothing to brag about even back then in 2016 as it was cheap as dirt compared to it's bigger brothers.
    I can make phone calls and receive them. Sms or MMS if there's need for such old methods of texting.
    I can use my public transporation app to see when the bus or tram comes next to my station.
    I can use anything I want on this phone. It really never ever tells me this phone is too old for this or that app, I never once got a "sorry this android version is too old to your this app"
    I use the latest stock rom with a bought theme that I liked from the galaxy store and for the launcher I use Nova Launcher that I've configured to my liking.
    Nova launcher makes the phone so much snappier than the default launcher and so much better looking.
    I have the latest magisk version on it, everything rooted and happily working.
    I use file manager + everything just works.
    With the exception of a bigger screen, an in screen finger print reader for faster unlock, 120hz display and a better camera, there is no reason to upgrade this phone at all for me.
    It just does everything that I need and more and I've dropped it a million times and it's still not scratched or cracked.
    I've been using it since 2016 and the latest android 7.1.1 is enough!

So what exactly do you hope to achieve by throwing away a perfectly stable stock android 7.1.1 rom and replacing it with these various experimental frankenstein custom roms based on adndroid 10 or 11?

If anybody here has some mature smart answers, I would love to hear them.
    I bet not even one of you has asked themselves why are you flashing this rom on your phones.
    You are all greedy and want the latest version of everything and you don't even stop for a microsecond to ask yourselves if you really get something better or worse.
    Ok, that's good to read, thanks for bringing this questions up to the discussion, you are right in some facts but not all the people can upgrade to a newer phone due to financial constraints.

For me, I learn to develop android apps, so I need to test them in the newest possible version of android, the custom ROM make this possible, because the emulator is slowing my machine.

I use custom ROM for testing some functionalities that are not included in the Stock ROM, (face unlock, wireless display, and have the felling that I'm updated and exploring the new trends on android app as a developer I guess)

Sometimes I'm just bored and want to try something new that's just comes up, simple reasons you know? I keep going back to the stock ROM when I'm bored again or when I found something that is not working properly, and it will be hard for the maintainer to fix.

There is no strong reason to use a custom ROM, but we can also ask why not?
    BlissRoms.png

Disclaimer
    Code:
    I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your phone or causes thermonuclear war
    and ends the world as we know it.
    You have been warned.

Rom-Information
    Bliss Rom 14.5 BETA (based on Android 11) Unofficial VANILLA (no gapps)​
    More information about the rom can be found on the:​

What works

most stuff​
    in detail: ril, mobile data, wifi, camera, video, audio, nfc, fm-radio, gps, bluetooth, drm, pip​
    except what's listed in bugs​
    encryption works, decryption in TWRP also (at least with my TWRP), more details come, be careful and take a full backup before encrypting

Bugs

• mobile data (unreliable)
    • bluetooth
    • video recording
    • drm
    • pip
    • hotspot
      ĥ
    • encryption
    • miracast
    • no Volte!
    • You tell me

Credits
    all Galaxy-MSM8916 devs and contributors for the base trees​
    @Zakaryan2004 for some telegram chats about our device​
    @SebaUbuntu for fixing nfc and drm​
    the BlissRoms team for the great rom​
    the xda community​

Sources

Not all of the following sources and urls are uptodate

my local_manifests file pulls in several (slightly) modified or otherwise needed repos (e.g.):​
    and my device-tree:​

Downloads from my server

Instructions

At least MarshMallow bootloader is required or you will not be able to boot the rom !​
    Latest stock firmware is recommended before installing this rom, even if it might work with older versions !​
    You have to reboot one time after first boot to make mobile data work.​
    • Use the TWRP from the download-link for your device above (needs to be flashed from existing TWRP, or use ODIN version)
    • Download the latest build
    • Put it on your device
    • Reboot to TWRP
    • Take a full backup
    • If you want to be sure wipe the device
    • Flash the latest build
    • Clean Cache and Dalvik if you want
    • Reboot and enjoy

Others

Easily rootable with the great Magisk (stable) by @topjohnwu.​
    I use it as daily driver without major issues, except mobile data (see above).
    I use microG as google replacement and for push-services, signature-spoofing is already build into the rom.​
    If you want to use gapps, be aware that you need the arm not the arm64 builds.
    abandoned project?
    No
    he's probably busy with his daily life
    This, and no changes in rom sources since nearly two weeks.
    And I'm stuck on clearing up my repos to finally push them.
    And working on (rarely at the moment) making selinux enforcing.
    A new build with december patch will come soon.
    I finally found the commit which broke the hwcomposer.
    Mobile data is still absolutely unreliable, but drm is fixed, and it should be possible to use the netflix app (at least it installs and starts without issues with microG installed).

New build is out, pip is working now.
    Links in OP are updated as always.
    Feedback is welcome.