• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Bloatware in ATT Windows 6.1 ROM

Search This thread

spottedcow

Jun 10, 2008
I noticed this same issue when I had flashed the unofficial 6.1 Beta AT&T rom posted to the developer forum by incognitho in June:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=400276
Every time I attempted to warm reset during the bloatware count down, the phone would act like it was instead doing a cold boot.

All of the AT&T bloatware seems to load from the \Windows\SDConfig.txt on the phone. The bad news is SDConfig.txt is cooked into the rom image, so any changes you make to that file are restored on a cold boot. But, I did manage to find a work around that worked fine for the 3 weeks I used the beta rom.

I saved a blank text file named SDConfig.txt on my desktop, and during a cold boot wait until the Windows 6.1 welcome screen where you normally calibrate the touch screen. Instead of calibrating, plug in the USB cable and activesync the device to your computer. Copy over the blank SDConfig.txt to the Windows directory on the phone, and overwrite the file that is there. Then calibrate the screen, and finish the welcome screen setup. The device should skip the rest of the bloatware install and take you to the device desktop instead.

fedex2go

Aug 4, 2008
I found a way to bypass AT&T custom setup: just do a soft reset before "3-sec window" actually appears (you have to catch a moment), and it will just do soft reset, and window will never come back, no AT&T junk installed. Just flashed this new ROM onto my Tilt, looks legit.... Also, much faster than the original HTC-branded WM61 rom, so it seems to me, anyway.

Last edited:

ourtech

Jul 25, 2008
I saved a blank text file named SDConfig.txt on my desktop, and during a cold boot wait until the Windows 6.1 welcome screen where you normally calibrate the touch screen. Instead of calibrating, plug in the USB cable and activesync the device to your computer. Copy over the blank SDConfig.txt to the Windows directory on the phone, and overwrite the file that is there. Then calibrate the screen, and finish the welcome screen setup. The device should skip the rest of the bloatware install and take you to the device desktop instead.

Thanks!!! Great suggestion!

Boopman

Dec 29, 2007

WM 6.1 Bloatware Removal Procedures.

First of all thanks to spottedcow and ourtech. I would not have stumbled on this without their input.

As ourtech said there are four files in the windows directory named Config.txt, Config_AP.txt, config_operator.txt and config_PT.txt and not a SDConfig.txt.
The problem is that they are Read Only Files.

I copied them off to the XP desktop and cleared the RO attribute and then opened them and deleted everything in them and saved them as blank files as was suggested by spottedcow.

I tried to cut them from the device and got a deletion error but as we shall see it didn't prevent the process from working.

I then used spottedcow's procedure of copying the files back into the windows directory over the old ones at the point where the clear Storage stopped the reload to align the screen.

I didn't go with the entire ActiveSync process just canceled it and came on as guest to get to the "Explore" button on the ActiveSync window.

That's it!

The Results were that instead of having 11 directories under program files I only have 3.

Memory results were:
with ATT bloatware:

Storage
Total 113.67
In Use 29.13
Free 84.54

Program
Total 85.32
In Use 29.10
Free 56.21

Without ATT bloatware:

Storage
Total 113.67
In Use 19.70
Free 102.98

Program
Total 85.32
In Use 30.86
Free 54.36

I don't know why there is an extra meg or so in the Program side as I didn't check processes to see what was running but it does free up some storage.

Just a couple of other observations:
Only two games are loaded
The Home screen is Green and not ATT Blue although it can be chosen in settings.
On the application launcher screen there are some ATT icons on the bottom row but they don't do anything as those directories are no longer there but the links can be changed.
Just about all the Home plug-ins are loaded. (maybe that is why the Program memory is higher - I don't know)
Most of the stuff seems to work.

There ya go! At least this process might still work when the "official" ROM is released.
Apologies in advance for posting this in two threads but I culled the info from both of them.

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
...a whole lot of text I won't waste space quoting...

Thanks for the detailed step by step.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to connect to WPA-protected wireless networks? I was reading in a different thread that the cancelled bloatware install seems to remove the ability to use WPA security for wireless.

Kepela523

May 19, 2006
Hey do I need to back everything up prior to flashing the rom? Is the ATT ver. 6.1 worth the upgrade?? everything works fine with it? Tethering? GPS? Internet, etc?? I still have the rom that my phone came with.

ChumleyEX

Oct 12, 2007
Temple
Of course you should back everything up before doing that. And if you're happy with your rom then don't mess with anything. It's all about your happieness isn't it?

Kepela523

May 19, 2006
Of course you should back everything up before doing that. And if you're happy with your rom then don't mess with anything. It's all about your happieness isn't it?

Yes True, but I wouldn't mind it being quicker, does it change anything with the Video System on GPS system? You know, the slow staggering screen while you see your position moving on the screen. does it fix that? I find it extremely annoying.

j_ochoa

Jul 23, 2008
Another way

WM 6.1 Bloatware Removal Procedures.

The Results were that instead of having 11 directories under program files I only have 3.

Memory results were:
with ATT bloatware:

Storage
Total 113.67
In Use 29.13
Free 84.54

Program
Total 85.32
In Use 29.10
Free 56.21

Without ATT bloatware:

Storage
Total 113.67
In Use 19.70
Free 102.98

Program
Total 85.32
In Use 30.86
Free 54.36

I got the same result by soft-resetting the phone BEFORE the 3 seconds screen pops up. Right after you complete the screen calibration, tap the screen once more as instructed by the phone and when the home screen shows up and before the 3 seconds screen pops up, soft reset the phone.

Sandcrab

Jul 30, 2008
I got the same result by soft-resetting the phone BEFORE the 3 seconds screen pops up. Right after you complete the screen calibration, tap the screen once more as instructed by the phone and when the home screen shows up and before the 3 seconds screen pops up, soft reset the phone.

Same here. After you tap the screen once, the home screen will come up for a split second before the 3-sec window appears. Hit the soft reset before the window shows up and no bloatware.

joel2009

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 9, 2007
Oklahoma
i have tried the soft reset... it doesn't work for me it just puts me back through the device setup and i still get the "F**K YOU, YOUR PHONE IS NOW GETTING SLOTTERED BY ATT" message... did i mention that it pisses me off when it does that :)

j_ochoa

Jul 23, 2008
i have tried the soft reset... it doesn't work for me it just puts me back through the device setup and i still get the "F**K YOU, YOUR PHONE IS NOW GETTING SLOTTERED BY ATT" message... did i mention that it pisses me off when it does that :)

Remember to soft reset BEFORE the 3 seconds screen comes up. Once it comes up you are out of luck and you can not stop it. Tap the screen once after calibrating the display and IMMEDIATLY after, hit the reset button. It should work.

mightymousefo

Apr 17, 2008
Thanks for the detailed step by step.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to connect to WPA-protected wireless networks? I was reading in a different thread that the cancelled bloatware install seems to remove the ability to use WPA security for wireless.

Im actually having that problem right now! I've been searching for the solution for days and still no luck :mad: . Could you give me the link to that thread? Hopefully, someone there has figured it out...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im not very ROM savvy. But I think the claim of the poster being non legit is not called for. I have seen this ROM being posted on the HTC site from many different forums. Its sortve official from what I gather, meaning something about a tester ROM(?). Ive seen several places where this ROM was able to be downloaded from HTC. Although it was removed from their site recently.

The ROM in question was never available on HTC's site. There was a page that listed it as available, but the download link pointed to the 1.62.xx.xx ROM update from February 2008.

And I also agree that the non-legit claim was uncalled for.