• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Bloatware in ATT Windows 6.1 ROM

Search This thread

j_ochoa

Jul 23, 2008
Just out of curiosity, are you able to connect to WPA-protected wireless networks? I was reading in a different thread that the cancelled bloatware install seems to remove the ability to use WPA security for wireless.

My Tilt is connecting to WPA-protected APs with no issues, even after hard-reseting the phone and preventing the bloatware from installing.

Sorry I don't have an answer for your issue, but at least now you don't have to waste time following this thread for an answer and can focus your effort searching somewhere else.

jsjohnson

Feb 29, 2008
This worked for me to prevent Bloatware

I too was not able to use the soft reset trick so this is what I did and it did in fact work for me...I make no claims as to whether it will work for you. So if your phone get's ****ed up please don't blame me....AT YOUR OWN RISK

There is a file called CheckAutoRun in the \windows\startup directory. I removed that file from the device by connecting to USB while the screen setup was happening. Reboot after cutting the file (save it to your PC just in case you ever need it). When I rebooted I got the old ATT 3G annoying flying logo AND it DID NOT delete the storage but did require the screen adjust setup. I did that and when it came to the main screen I was golden. No issues so far.

Last edited:

gustok

Sep 28, 2008
If I do a soft reset on mine right at the home screen before the 3 second window....during it...or after it; when it boots up it goes back to deleting memory and then back through the same process again....no avail...any suggestions?? Also tried deleting the file above and it just gets replaced each reboot

Last edited:

gustok

Sep 28, 2008
You are probably right I should not have made such a call. He indeed may have the ROM. If I may elaborate.

Latest test rom form AT&T
ROM Version 3.55.502.1 WWE
ROM date 06/10/08
Radio version 1.65.20.29
Protocol version 25.88.40.04H

Supposed ROM to be Released at HTC. Click here for link.
ROM Version 3.57.502.2 WWE
ROM date 07/17/08
Radio version 1.65.17.10
Protocol version 25.83.40.02H

HIS version
ROM Version 3.57.502.2 WWE
ROM date 07/17/08
Radio version 1.65.21.18
Protocol version 25.88.40.05H

I would think that if HTC changed the radio and protocol as shown in his version. Would they not change the ROM version such as 3.58.502.2? Even more so because they have created two ROM's on the same date?

It could be possible the the information posted on the HTC web site is wrong, Maybe to possibly confuse us.

Definitely LEGIT as this is the identical information pulled off of my phone and what I am currently running.
ROM 3.57.502.2
ROM DATE )07/17/08
Radio 1.65.21.18
Prot 25.88.40

If anyone wants this ROM let me know and I will dump and Post.

Last edited:

cab9211

Oct 4, 2008
Worked for me !! Do the soft reset as soon as you complete the initial setup and before the prompt even appears on the screen.

I did this 5 times before I got it right. Keep the stylus in the hole (this is the tilt phone I am writing about) ready, do the last tap after the password selection, the moment you see the green, shoot !! Do the soft reset. This will Work !! Best of Luck !

Asfdviper

May 9, 2008
6.1 installed, got the bloatware to not install by resetting right after adjusting screen, it's great! Problem is though, my "tools" menu is nowhere to be found...it's not in the options menu anymore...:(

simbadogg

Aug 6, 2007
Corona
hot damn...i finally decided to give it another go since my device has been freezing a lot today. and sure enough, i did it before the 3 seconds screen and horray beer...no more bloatware

murrayw76

Feb 18, 2008
No bloatware!

I hit the soft reset right after completing setup, before the "3 second" popup appeared, and my Tilt restarted without installing any AT&T bloatware. Thanks for the tip, guys!

elan

Nov 29, 2007
Alabama
Thanks!

Yep, it took me six or seven tries, and I'm not even sure what I did differently that last time, but I, too, am running a bloat-free WM6.1 Tilt.

Much appreciated!!

élan

schmenge

Nov 28, 2005
I am running the stock HTC/AT&T ROM (WM 6.1) Most of the bloatware is installed to ROM right? I know I found a couple of things in main memory and was able to just uninstall those. So if I hard rest and bypass the customization can I restore a backup or I am better off doing everything from scratch? Since you don't backup ROM, and that is what would not be installed I am thinking a restore may be OK.

DaveTheTytnIIGuy

Aug 28, 2008
Sacramento, California
I would start from scratch if I were you. Just two weeks ago I started from scratch and have found my device to be a lot faster and it has less program errors. It certainly can't hurt. Also, if you use Sprite Backup, I think it does backup the bloatware files. I'm pretty sure they are installed like anything else so they're backed up like anything else. That's my belief anyway,

Dave

BTW, if I'm incorrect on anything I said here, somebody please correct me.

schmenge

Nov 28, 2005
As Dave recommended I decided to just reinstall everything. So far it looks like I did not need to do anything. :( It looks like with the exception on the java games, everything was going to ram anyway and I had manually just killed all of that long ago. After the reset, and the avoidance of the customization, I have not more space than before and so far speed seems about the same. I am hoping that not having the registry entries for the stuff I got rid of manually helps with fewer hiccups.

I could not for the life of me get the customization to abort (stock HTC/AT&T WM 6.1 ROM) and reading back in the thread that seems common. I saw the post about replacing the SDconfig.txt file (or something like that). Mine did not have the file but I did find one named config_operator.txt. I opened that and it did have all the cabnames to install. I put an empty config_operator.txt in my Windows folder. Customization started, but after a few seconds it was "done" and none of the bloatware loaded.

But so far, and it has only been the afternoon, it seems like you can jsut reset and then delete all the folders/files manually. At least from a space perspective.

LeboD

Dec 3, 2007
Remove Bloatware in ATT WM 6.1 ROM

I found a way to bypass AT&T custom setup: just do a soft reset before "3-sec window" actually appears (you have to catch a moment), and it will just do soft reset, and window will never come back, no AT&T junk installed. Just flashed this new ROM onto my Tilt, looks legit.... Also, much faster than the original HTC-branded WM61 rom, so it seems to me, anyway.

Yes, this worked! Must soft reset before "3-sec window" appears.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im not very ROM savvy. But I think the claim of the poster being non legit is not called for. I have seen this ROM being posted on the HTC site from many different forums. Its sortve official from what I gather, meaning something about a tester ROM(?). Ive seen several places where this ROM was able to be downloaded from HTC. Although it was removed from their site recently.

The ROM in question was never available on HTC's site. There was a page that listed it as available, but the download link pointed to the 1.62.xx.xx ROM update from February 2008.

And I also agree that the non-legit claim was uncalled for.