• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Blocking ads

Search This thread

kriticar

Jun 24, 2012
How do you block ads?
I used to use addfree from bigtincan.com, but it doesn't block all ads anymore.
The idea is to use hosts file to block ads servers.

Is there something better?

kriticar

Jun 24, 2012
AdAway is working fine for me.

I tried to use adaway but looks like the /system/etc/hosts file with rw,r,r permissions is not editable.
I tried to remount /system partition in rw mode (it is ro as default) but with no luck.
For remounting I used ES File explorer or terminal. Mount shows that partition is in rw mode, but it is kind of fake because I cannot edit the host file.

Does anyone else has a problem with /system partition?

kriticar

Jun 24, 2012
The problem is, no full/complete root, i think.
You have to add the system folder by delete the imutable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=54719981

- Adfree
- Adaway
Working fine

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using XDA Free mobile app

After carefully reading the post you have linked above I can confirm that procedure is working (thanks).
What I have done is basically, remounted /system rw, than removed immutable attribute from set_immutable.list, than I have opened set_immutable.list in editor, commented /system/etc, (maybe rebooted at this point, I am not sure), than I have removed immutable attribute from the /system/etc/hosts file.
Now I was able to change hosts file with adaway. After its competion, I have uncommented /system/etc in set_immutable.list file and reverted back immutable attributes on set_immutable.list and hosts file.

Sure, adaway will not be able to update the hosts file until I repeat the hole procedure, but I don't like an idea to open hosts file to everyone for now.

87insane

Feb 6, 2009
After carefully reading the post you have linked above I can confirm that procedure is working (thanks).
What I have done is basically, remounted /system rw, than removed immutable attribute from set_immutable.list, than I have opened set_immutable.list in editor, commented /system/etc, (maybe rebooted at this point, I am not sure), than I have removed immutable attribute from the /system/etc/hosts file.
Now I was able to change hosts file with adaway. After its competion, I have uncommented /system/etc in set_immutable.list file and reverted back immutable attributes on set_immutable.list and hosts file.

Sure, adaway will not be able to update the hosts file until I repeat the hole procedure, but I don't like an idea to open hosts file to everyone for now.

Thanks!
I think you dont need to revert it.
Full root is full root. Everytime you or a program needs rights for system changes, super su will ask you that.

Because i've made many changes in my P7 like volume of headphones and softkeys visibility. I still have the system folder mounted.

Sorry for my bad english!

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using XDA Free mobile app

mr.overflow

Nov 25, 2014

I tried the same but was unsuccessful.
Basically, I cannot install Busybox cause my system partition is read only, so I cannot perform chattr. No way, I tried 7 or 8 different installers from the store.
I can set RW access through terminal or ADB or Root Explorer, but it's fake as no changes will survive the reboot.
I did not try to load the custom recovery, not sure if this is mandatory... I just want to remove immutable
I'm on L00 B608 EMUI 3.0
Thanks whoever can advise

Top Liked Posts