[Blu B130DL Unlock/Recovery/Root RELEASE]

Search This thread
Hey just wanted to say thanks to all that worked to get this going, y'all got my Alcatel tetra rooted, or some of y'all were in on that project and now my view 2, and I was just curious to see if it would work, so I attempted this whole process, on tcl a3 a509dl, took out the boot lk vbmeta, from mtkclient, and backed up those files for tcl then created magisk patch and lk patch and reflashed and it work, anyway again thank you
Glad it worked out for you (y) 😁

BluPhoneHome

Nov 30, 2021
Is it safe (not losing ability to root) to update to the new SW version BLU_B130DL_V10.0.05.05.05.03_FSec?
Would this be the process to do so: unroot current version, install OTA update, re-root new version?

BluPhoneHome

Nov 30, 2021
Has anyone else noticed the delayed install of at least 10 crap apps on the BLU B130DL? I've noticed at least the following that were not pre-installed but showed up without notice or permission: Chime, Slotmania, Pintrest, Bingo Blitz, Heart of Vegas, NewsBreak, Pandora, Solitare, Stitcher, TikTok.

Has anyone else noticed the delayed install of at least 10 crap apps on the BLU B130DL? I've noticed at least the following that were not pre-installed but showed up without notice or permission: Chime, Slotmania, Pintrest, Bingo Blitz, Heart of Vegas, NewsBreak, Pandora, Solitare, Stitcher, TikTok.
that's standard practice for devices, they include an app that after first boot installs other unwanted/uneeded apps. with root you can get in there and get rid of it, you just gotta find which app it is. As for Updating to newest firmware, Easiest way personally is to download the newest fw update and make into a recovery flashable zip, then you don't have to unroot and "risk" anything. If creating a recovery flashable zip is above your capabilities, I'm confident you may be able to unroot and try, it all depends on how the device maker has implemented stuff. I don't have the device or there would already be custom stock rom and custom GSi roms. All I did was initial recovery and 1 person tested and said it booted, kinda hard for me to do much more without the device

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021
Hey just wanted to say thanks to all that worked to get this going, y'all got my Alcatel tetra rooted, or some of y'all were in on that project and now my view 2, and I was just curious to see if it would work, so I attempted this whole process, on tcl a3 a509dl, took out the boot lk vbmeta, from mtkclient, and backed up those files for tcl then created magisk patch and lk patch and reflashed and it work, anyway again thank you
E-mail me that patched ik.img. I can get mine off the orange state bootloop. I did the blu first but got bored one night. [email protected]. Thank you. I love you.

BluPhoneHome

Nov 30, 2021
At the moment, creating a recovery flashable zip is above my capabilities. I've looked around some and it appears a Kitchen may be needed to accomplish the task however nearly all instructions are for those running cygwin on Windows. I'm running Arch Linux. I've got the update_s.zip ota firmware file that I found in the /cache directory on the phone. I tried getting the ota download URL but logcat didn't seem to capture it. It seems to me that what would need doing is to unzip the file and patch the boot image and then sign and re-zip and flash. A kitchen seems like overkill because when people are talking about it they seem to be making lots of modifications to the firmware instead of just pre-rooting it. What tools do I actually need to get this done?

BluPhoneHome

Nov 30, 2021
Just regarding the root procedure, not updating to the latest firmware, upon opening Magisk, it says it needs additional setup for Magisk to work properly. Choosing Direct Install, the installation fails because /dev/block/mmcblk0p30 is read only. Is this the expected and desired result due to the fact that the B130DL uses a patched Magisk and it cannot and should not be allowed to do the additional setup?

isaac10991

Jan 14, 2020
Is mtk client required to get to the bootloader menu? I'm trying to use ADB to reboot to bootloader, but the phone just shuts down. I can get into recovery, but I can't get to the recovery menu, just the Droid screen.

angryphonenerd

Jan 19, 2022
Someone claims to have used this to root their TCL A509DL (A3) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tcl-a509dl-no-fastboot-ability.4356737/

Here are the steps I tried (Windows 10):

1) Installed mtkclient
2) Connected phone (holding both volume buttons)
3) Successfully detected phone and reads all partitions / information
4) Backed up all 29.12GB of partitions
5) Clicked "Unlock bootloader"
6) Rebooted the phone to see if it worked, now it shows the "orange error" (this phone is no longer secure etc, will reboot in 5 seconds). Just hangs forever that way, but when I relock the bootloader it shows the orange error but still loads into the provider installed Android

Here is where I am stuck:

* The directions provide .img files to flash. I have done this using other tools for other phones in the past, but this is my first time using mtkclient and I can't seem to figure out how to flash a .img in the mtk_gui because it is only looking for "folders" and "bin" files. All instructions I have seen here and other threads that talk about using the command line to back up and flash don't seem to work because the device isn't connected without the mtk_gui. Am I not using the CLI right?

* The provided files from this thread probably won't work for me anyway as they are for another phone model. I've uploaded my files in this comment in hopes someone can provide a modified version of them for my needs (or to advise me what files I should be providing instead!).

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 48
  • boot.bin
    32 MB · Views: 35
  • lk.bin
    2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

mastochris

Dec 25, 2013
I appreciate the hard work that went into this. I think I'm stuck at the unlock stage my computer was erasing md_udc and metadata but hangs at userdata. That's a big ass partition for my tiny computer.

*Edit: I got it rooted with magisk installed but it killed my networking. Wifi and Bluetooth just keep crashing. If I put the phone in airplane mode it works fine...just minus wifi and Bluetooth.
Other wise awesome work devs.

Last edited:

TouchOdeath

Feb 29, 2012
Code:
[email protected]:/opt/mtkclient# python mtk r boot,lk,vbmeta boot.img,lk.img,vbmeta.img
MTK Flash/Exploit Client V1.54 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2021

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/mtkclient/mtk", line 695, in <module>
    mtk = Main(args).run()
  File "/opt/mtkclient/mtkclient/Library/mtk_main.py", line 514, in run
    mtk = da_handler.configure_da(mtk, preloader)
  File "/opt/mtkclient/mtkclient/Library/mtk_da_cmd.py", line 81, in configure_da
    if mtk.config.target_config["daa"]:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

If I do:

Code:
print(mtk.config.target_config)

I get:

Code:
[email protected]:/tmp/mozilla_user0/mtkclient-main# python mtk r boot,vbmeta boot.img,vbmeta.img
MTK Flash/Exploit Client V1.54 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2021

None

My Info:

Code:
Build Number = QP1A.190711.020
Custom Build Version = BLU_B130DL_V10.0.05.05.05.02_FSec
Android security update: January 5, 2021

I'll have to examine the code later on my development environment... In the meantime, PizzaG, tell me what you need and I will get it done.

Edit:

I've got my phone rooted, and TWRP installed, but TWRP gets errors doing a backup. I will post a root tutorial later today. Also I have the recovery.img that I'll be posting as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbg318

Gaussman

Jan 29, 2022
View attachment 5438977
Proudly Presents
Another Exclusive Release

Supported Model
Blu View 2
B130DL

Recoveries
TWRP_10 Recovery

Roms
GSI Roms ?

Info
Patched-lk.img contains the Orange State Boot warning Patched out
Patched-boot.img & Patched-vbmeta.img Are Pre-Rooted Images

BootLoader Unlock
MtkClient

Recovery Download & Device Tree
Device Source

A-Team Website
A-Team Supported Devices

TeleGram Live Support
A-Team Digital Solutions

Contributors
Thanks to @bkerler for MtkClient​
What do we do if the gui isnt able to connect to the phone? Im stuck here and do not know what to do. The phone is connect to the computer via the com4 usb3 port on the front. I have downloaded all the .msi files but cant test them, and I have gotten into the recovery mode but still no dice on connecting.

Last edited:

TouchOdeath

Feb 29, 2012
What do we do if the gui isnt able to connect to the phone? Im stuck here and do not know what to do. The phone is connect to the computer via the com4 usb3 port on the front. I have downloaded all the .msi files but cant test them, and I have gotten into the recovery mode but still no dice on connecting.
Download and use his ISO instead of windows. It has everything ready to go.

TouchOdeath

Feb 29, 2012
Here is a tutorial on how to root:

1. Burn the ISO provided by OP to a USB stick.
2. Boot to the USB.
3. Now the key thing to know is, after each command you type, you'll have to make sure you let the command finish, or you cancel it correctly, or else you'll have to re-put yourself in brom mode (See J.).
A. Pull up Terminal and navigate to folder:
Code:
cd /opt/mtkclient
All commands will be ran from this folder
B. With phone unplugged from USB, type command
Code:
python mtk_gui
C. It will keep running a loop in terminal until you plug your phone in and put it in brom mode. So you can take your time.
D. Go to Settings/Additional settings/Developer options, enable "OEM unlock" and "USB Debugging"
E. Power off phone with USB unplugged.
F. Hold both volume buttons, and plug in USB
G. Brom mode takes like.. literally 1 to 2 seconds to actually get into it. The phone screen should not turn on, this is good.
H. You will see the text change in terminal it will say 'Device Detected', then you can let go of the volume buttons.
I. Now that you have figured out how to get into brom mode with the terminal, the command:
Code:
python mtk_gui
is now trash. you will never use it again.
J. To close out of the mtk_GUI properly, click the 'X' in the upper right part of the GUI. If you do this, your brom should be good.
K. If the command finishes, brom mode should be back to normal. If brom gets out of wack, run a valid command in terminal, unplug USB, plug USB + Volume keys for 1 to 2 seconds and you should see 'Device Detected' in Terminal to tell you your in brom mode..
L. To summarize: open terminal, run command, plug in phone, watch it connect, run command, wait for command to finish. Repeat.
4. Now actual rooting.
A. ALERT!! ALERT!! DRAGONS!! Backup partitions we are going to be messing with just incase something goes wrong. Make sure you save it in a partition location thats NOT apart of the USB (otherwise it won't be saved. You'll reboot and the saved files will be gone)
Code:
python mtk r boot,lk,vbmeta boot.img,lk.img,vbmeta.img
B. This will create boot.img, lk.img, and vbmeta.img in /opt/mtkclient directory. You'll need to copy those somewhere else, as anything in the /opt/mtkclient directory will not be saved on reboot (or any other USB stick directories).

B.1. You can skip Steps, C, E, F, some of G if you use have the same BUILD# as mateo121212's then you can (and probably should) use his boot.p.img and lk.p.img files he graciously uploaded to us.

C. Boot into android, adb push your saved boot.img onto the phone somewhere. install magisk apk
D. Open magisk, click 'install', when you click 'next' it will ask you for a file, which you will give it the boot.img that we created in step B.
E. When magisk finishes, it will output a file 'magisk_patched-*.img', meaning magisk injected itself into the boot partition img file. We are going to Rename it to 'boot.patched.img' and write back to the phone. Patch lk.img with a hex editor if you don't want the screen to say 'Orange State' message and name it lk.patched.img. If you don't care about the message then I don't think you have to mess with the lk partition at all.)
F. Now we are going to use the 'boot.patched.img' that was given to us by magisk (or mateo121212). The correct vbmeta.img.empty is already located in the /opt/mtkclient folder by default, so you have everything you need at this point.
G. Boot back into ISO and write the boot.patched.img and lk.patched.img (or boot.p.img and lk.p.img)

If you have a lk.patched.img:
Code:
python mtk w boot,lk,vbmeta boot.patched.img,lk.patched.img,vbmeta.img.empty
If you don't then:
Code:
python mtk w boot,vbmeta boot.patched.img,vbmeta.img.empty
5. Unlock bootloader:
A. Erase all user data:
Code:
python mtk e metadata,userdata,md_udc
B. Unlock bootloader with this command
Code:
python mtk da seccfg unlock
C. If you didn't flash lk.img, then when you Boot you should see the 'Orange state' text, which means your bootloader is unlocked. If you patched lk.img, then the 'blu' logo screen should look the same.
D. Now you have a iconless magisk that can survive command from 5.A . If you open the magisk icon, it will tell you to turn on the internet. So do that, and it will install some stuff and reboot.
E. Congrats! Your phone is now rooted Enjoy!

6. ALERT!! ALERT!! DRAGONS!! At the time of writing (Oct 22, 2021 TWRP RELEASE specifically), its actually a waste of time to flash TWRP. TWRP should be used for information only!! If you accidently execute the wrong command in TWRP, it can easily brick your phone (which is how I bricked mine....).
A. You can flash over the recovery partition with the TWRP.img file.
Code:
python mtk w recovery TWRP.img
B. So TWRP currently can't do any backups because it can't decrypt certain partitions. Don't do any wipes/factory reset with this TWRP, they will brick your phone.

Useful Backup Stuff:

Here is a command that backups all partitions except 'super'(4.0GB) and 'userdata' (23.86GB) partitions, because they are to big to backup and it takes along time. This command executes in a pretty reasonable short amount of time:
Code:
python mtk r boot_para,recovery,para,expdb,vbmeta_system,vbmeta_vendor,frp,nvcfg,nvdata,md_udc,metadata,protect1,protect2,seccfg,persist,sec1,proinfo,efuse,md1img,spmfw,scp1,scp2,sspm_1,sspm_2,gz1,gz2,nvram,lk,lk2,boot,logo,dtbo,tee1,tee2,vbmeta,cache,otp,flashinfo boot_para.img,recovery.img,para.img,expdb.img,vbmeta_system.img,vbmeta_vendor.img,frp.img,nvcfg.img,nvdata.img,md_udc.img,metadata.img,protect1.img,protect2.img,seccfg.img,persist.img,sec1.img,proinfo.img,efuse.img,md1img.img,spmfw.img,scp1.img,scp2.img,sspm_1.img,sspm_2.img,gz1.img,gz2.img,nvram.img,lk.img,lk2.img,boot.img,logo.img,dtbo.img,tee1.img,tee2.img,vbmeta.img,cache.img,otp.img,flashinfo.img

Please see attached recovery.img that mateo121212 asked for:

Attachments

• recovery.img
    32 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Gaussman

Jan 29, 2022
I'll do a small tutorial later today that explains everything....
Here is a tutorial on how to root. This is 100% from memory, so it may not all be correct, but it will mostly be right:

2. Boot to the USB.
3. Now the key thing to know is, after each command you type, you'll put your phone in brom mode.
Code:
cd /opt/mtkclient
. All commands will be ran from this folder.
Code:
python mtk_gui
C. It will keep running a loop in terminal until you plug your phone in and put it in brom mode. So you can take your time.
C. Power off phone with USB unplugged.
D. Hold both volume buttons, and plug in USB
E. Brom mode takes like.. literally 1 to 2 seconds to actually get into it. The phone screen will be black
F. You will see the text change in terminal it will say 'Device Detected', then you can let go of the volume buttons.
G. Now that you have figured out how to get into brom mode with the terminal, the command:
Code:
python mtk_gui
H. When you type any valid command, once the command is finished, brom mode will be jacked up and you have to reset it. There are two ways to do so. 1. CTRL+C/D/X in current terminal to cancel current command. Type
Code:
python mtk reset
which will restore brom mode. 2. Close terminal, power on and back off phone, repeat steps above to enter brom mode with command.
I. To summarize: open terminal, run command, plug in phone, watch it connect and run command.
4. Now actual rooting.
A. Backup partitions we are going to be messing with just incase something goes wrong.
Code:
B. This will create boot.img, lk.img, and vbmeta.img in /opt/mtkclient directory. You'll need to copy those somewhere else, as anything in the /opt/mtkclient directory will not be saved on reboot.
C. Boot into android, adb push your saved boot.img onto the phone somewhere. install magisk apk
E. Open magisk, click 'install', when you click 'next' it will ask you for a file, which you will give it the boot.img that we created in step B. (I'm pretty sure you repeat this step, except pick lk.img)
F. When magisk finishes, it will output a file, which we are going to write back to the phone. Rename it to boot.patched. (repeat step for lk.img. So lk.patched)
C. Now we are going to use the two .patched files that were given to us by magisk. The correct vbmeta.img.empty is already located in the /opt/mtkclient folder by default, so you have everything you need at this point.
D. Boot back into ISO and write the boot.patched and lk.patched
Code:
python mtk w boot,lk,vbmeta boot.patched,lk.patched,vbmeta.img.empty
5. Unlock bootloader.
A. Erase all user data:
Code:
Code:
C. Boot into android and you should see the 'Orange state' text, which means your bootloader is unlocked.
D. Now you have a iconless magisk that can somehow survive the command from 5.A. If you open the magisk icon, it will tell you to turn on the iternet. So do that, and it will install some stuff and reboot.
E. Congrats! Your stuff is now rooted Enjoy!

6. You can flash over the recovery partition with the TWRP.img file.
A.
Code:
B. So TWRP currently can't do any backups because it can't decrypt certain partitions. Don't do any wipes/factory reset with this TWRP, they will brick your phone.

Please see attached recovery.img that mateo121212 asked for.

P.S. Can someone please take a completely stock phone, and backup all the .bin files and upload it, so if someone borks their system completely, they could flash the factory .bin files in hopes of restoring their phone.
trying to patch the lk.img file in majisk doesnt work so Im going to try to unlock and root without that file. I will report back with either good or bad news in a few minutes. Worst case I have to spend another 30 bucks on a new blu 2 lol.

Also Thank you so much for the explanation, you really helped me get a better understanding how this stuff works.

Gaussman

Jan 29, 2022
So in an attempt to write the files over, I forgot to rename it to boot.patched, and sent my phone into a red state. Is there anyway to fix it, I will updated if I manage to fix it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    photo_2021-01-30_04-04-14.jpg

Proudly Presents
    Another Exclusive Release

Supported Model
    Blu View 2
    B130DL

Recoveries
    TWRP_10 Recovery

Roms
    GSI Roms ?

Info
    Patched-lk.img contains the Orange State Boot warning Patched out
    Patched-boot.img & Patched-vbmeta.img Are Pre-Rooted Images

BootLoader Unlock
    MtkClient

Recovery Download & Device Tree
    Device Source

A-Team Website
    A-Team Supported Devices

TeleGram Live Support
    A-Team Digital Solutions

Contributors
    Thanks to @bkerler for MtkClient​
    I’m sorry, but, where are the patched images? Are they on GitHub?
    Also, are they stock or TWRP
    I made my own image files from Firmware with build number QP1A.190711.020
    And build version
    V10.0.05.05.05.02

at the moment twrp isn't exactly functional so you need to install with mtkclient. Also it's not exactly apparent but you need to do this with the battery removed. If anyone wants I can make a guide better detailing the bootloader unlock process.

Put the attachments in the mtkclient folder.(vbmeta is included with mtkclient)
    Backup your existing partitions using

Write new partitions using
    python mtk w boot,lk,vbmeta boot.p.img,lk.p.img,vbmeta.img.empty

(If python fails try just using py)

install patched magisk from here
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/v...9e22fa276698f6c03bc1168df2c10/app-release.apk

Thanks PizzaG for the unlock process.
    Here is a tutorial on how to root:

2. Boot to the USB.
    3. Now the key thing to know is, after each command you type, you'll have to make sure you let the command finish, or you cancel it correctly, or else you'll have to re-put yourself in brom mode (See J.).
    Code:
    cd /opt/mtkclient
    All commands will be ran from this folder
    Code:
    python mtk_gui
    D. Go to Settings/Additional settings/Developer options, enable "OEM unlock" and "USB Debugging"
    E. Power off phone with USB unplugged.
    F. Hold both volume buttons, and plug in USB
    G. Brom mode takes like.. literally 1 to 2 seconds to actually get into it. The phone screen should not turn on, this is good.
    H. You will see the text change in terminal it will say 'Device Detected', then you can let go of the volume buttons.
    I. Now that you have figured out how to get into brom mode with the terminal, the command:
    Code:
    python mtk_gui
    J. To close out of the mtk_GUI properly, click the 'X' in the upper right part of the GUI. If you do this, your brom should be good.
    K. If the command finishes, brom mode should be back to normal. If brom gets out of wack, run a valid command in terminal, unplug USB, plug USB + Volume keys for 1 to 2 seconds and you should see 'Device Detected' in Terminal to tell you your in brom mode..
    L. To summarize: open terminal, run command, plug in phone, watch it connect, run command, wait for command to finish. Repeat.
    4. Now actual rooting.
    A. ALERT!! ALERT!! DRAGONS!! Backup partitions we are going to be messing with just incase something goes wrong. Make sure you save it in a partition location thats NOT apart of the USB (otherwise it won't be saved. You'll reboot and the saved files will be gone)
    Code:
    B. This will create boot.img, lk.img, and vbmeta.img in /opt/mtkclient directory. You'll need to copy those somewhere else, as anything in the /opt/mtkclient directory will not be saved on reboot (or any other USB stick directories).

B.1. You can skip Steps, C, E, F, some of G if you use have the same BUILD# as mateo121212's then you can (and probably should) use his boot.p.img and lk.p.img files he graciously uploaded to us.

D. Open magisk, click 'install', when you click 'next' it will ask you for a file, which you will give it the boot.img that we created in step B.
    E. When magisk finishes, it will output a file 'magisk_patched-*.img', meaning magisk injected itself into the boot partition img file. We are going to Rename it to 'boot.patched.img' and write back to the phone. Patch lk.img with a hex editor if you don't want the screen to say 'Orange State' message and name it lk.patched.img. If you don't care about the message then I don't think you have to mess with the lk partition at all.)
    F. Now we are going to use the 'boot.patched.img' that was given to us by magisk (or mateo121212). The correct vbmeta.img.empty is already located in the /opt/mtkclient folder by default, so you have everything you need at this point.
    G. Boot back into ISO and write the boot.patched.img and lk.patched.img (or boot.p.img and lk.p.img)

If you have a lk.patched.img:
    Code:
    python mtk w boot,lk,vbmeta boot.patched.img,lk.patched.img,vbmeta.img.empty
    If you don't then:
    Code:
    python mtk w boot,vbmeta boot.patched.img,vbmeta.img.empty
    5. Unlock bootloader:
    A. Erase all user data:
    Code:
    Code:
    C. If you didn't flash lk.img, then when you Boot you should see the 'Orange state' text, which means your bootloader is unlocked. If you patched lk.img, then the 'blu' logo screen should look the same.
    D. Now you have a iconless magisk that can survive command from 5.A . If you open the magisk icon, it will tell you to turn on the internet. So do that, and it will install some stuff and reboot.
    E. Congrats! Your phone is now rooted Enjoy!

6. ALERT!! ALERT!! DRAGONS!! At the time of writing (Oct 22, 2021 TWRP RELEASE specifically), its actually a waste of time to flash TWRP. TWRP should be used for information only!! If you accidently execute the wrong command in TWRP, it can easily brick your phone (which is how I bricked mine....).
    A. You can flash over the recovery partition with the TWRP.img file.
    Code:

Useful Backup Stuff:

Here is a command that backups all partitions except 'super'(4.0GB) and 'userdata' (23.86GB) partitions, because they are to big to backup and it takes along time. This command executes in a pretty reasonable short amount of time:
    Code:
    python mtk r boot_para,recovery,para,expdb,vbmeta_system,vbmeta_vendor,frp,nvcfg,nvdata,md_udc,metadata,protect1,protect2,seccfg,persist,sec1,proinfo,efuse,md1img,spmfw,scp1,scp2,sspm_1,sspm_2,gz1,gz2,nvram,lk,lk2,boot,logo,dtbo,tee1,tee2,vbmeta,cache,otp,flashinfo boot_para.img,recovery.img,para.img,expdb.img,vbmeta_system.img,vbmeta_vendor.img,frp.img,nvcfg.img,nvdata.img,md_udc.img,metadata.img,protect1.img,protect2.img,seccfg.img,persist.img,sec1.img,proinfo.img,efuse.img,md1img.img,spmfw.img,scp1.img,scp2.img,sspm_1.img,sspm_2.img,gz1.img,gz2.img,nvram.img,lk.img,lk2.img,boot.img,logo.img,dtbo.img,tee1.img,tee2.img,vbmeta.img,cache.img,otp.img,flashinfo.img

Please see attached recovery.img that mateo121212 asked for:
    Hi all,
    Maybe this is obvious to some but it wasn't obvious to me. I had to do an extra step to actually get my device rooted.

1. I open Magisk and it says "Upgrade to full Magisk to finish the setup. Download and install?"
    2. Press OK
    3. It installs Alpha, I open Alpha
    4. It says "Your device needs additional setup for Magisk to work properly. Do you want to proceed and reboot?" so I press OK.
    5. This might not be the best way, but I selected "patch vbmeta in boot image", and the backup of the STOCK boot.img. After it was finished (took a while!) I copied it back to Ubuntu, named it boot.new.img, and flashed it with

python3 mtk w boot,lk,vbmeta boot.new.img,lk.p.img,vbmeta.img.empty

The "Direct Install (Recommended)" doesn't work and at this point I've ran the command to wipe the userdata from the phone however after doing this I rebooted and root access worked just as expected.

Hope that helps anyone.