• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Blue Ant or Jawbone?

Search This thread

mario23

Nov 13, 2007
South Fla
I got the Jabra ear gels in the mail today and I have to say....I like the Jawbone earbud better. Better fit and difference that I could tell in sound.

I wonder if any of you guys that have the original Jawbone as well as the new one could offer a comparison. I have read that the original Jawbone had some low volume issues. This one doesn't seem to have that problem so I wonder if you would agree with that.

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
I agree with the volume issue. I've got both of them. I bought the original JB
when it came out, it died about 12 months later, at&t replaced it no questions asked. The replacement also had low volume. Paired with my tilt, I had to keep the JB on full volume & the tilt on max to achieve acceptable sound level.
With the new JB2, I can keep my tile between 1/4 to 1/2 volume and it is plenty loud.

I wonder if any of you guys that have the original Jawbone as well as the new one could offer a comparison. I have read that the original Jawbone had some low volume issues. This one doesn't seem to have that problem so I wonder if you would agree with that.

RemE

Jan 2, 2007
SoCal
I had to pick up a JB2 today and compare with my trusted co-worker on sound quality vs. the JB1. On my end volume is much better as noted. Size and comfort is very nice, the new button functions took a little getting used to, I ended the call when trying to adjust volume because the rear button operates more by pushing the back of the earpiece forward. Indoors the sound was excellent.

On their end, outside wind noise is not much improved, bummer. Very odd is that if I was talking and looked to the sky, my voice would cut out. The earpiece "magic" button that rests on your cheek may be losing contact when looking up? In any case it would consistantly do it. I still need to go thru the extensive collection of earbuds and ear loops to optimize the fit.

There are two small mic holes that point up when the piece is worn on the right ear, I wear mine on the left so they point down. The Blueant Z9 has the same 2 holes but on the opposite side but I don't know that it makes any difference.

Overall it's a quality earpiece, just a little disapointed in the wind performance, they should have concentrated on fixing that main complaint. The other issues friends complained about was the charging and the new magnetic connector seems very much improved.

Edit - Tried Jabra Ear Gels, not a good fit with JB2 like it worked with JB1. I ended up using the smallest supplied earbud and loop for a good fit. So far it's very light and no pressure points developing like I experienced with the Blueant Z9.

Last edited:

mario23

Nov 13, 2007
South Fla
I had the same problem initially. It was just the fit.As soon as changed the earbud, the fit was much better and the sensor didn't lose contact anymore. Hopefully that's all it is for you.

RemE

Jan 2, 2007
SoCal
No mute? missed that. I'm finding that the call end button is really badly set up because should you just brush the earpiece, goodbye caller! I really preferred the small but dedicated button on the JB1. They should consider reversing the volume and call button functions, I've lost over 6 calls already and I've been trying to be careful.

twinpeaks

Dec 9, 2006
I'm going against the grain. I'm quickly learning to hate the Jawbone 2. The buttons are awful , there's no mute button, I don't have enough tactile feedback to know if I've pressed it or not...I think this piece of junk is going back to the store. I have not tried the BlueAnt yet but I do like my Motorolla H12 better than this poorly designed fashion accessory known as the Jawbone 2. The Jawbone 2 is nicely paired with a Blackberry "oh I'm cool I have a Blackberry see me I am important" but not for those of us who like precision and basic functionality out of a Windows mobile device, it's best left on the shelf for those who own Blackberries.

RemE

Jan 2, 2007
SoCal
Not against the grain at all, I'm leaning on returning mine as well;

The fit is "good" but turn my head just right and it comes loose.
The buttons are pissing me off too.
The voice dial "feedback prompt" is too soft compared to others.

I'm more happy with JB1 for car and indoors and Blueant for outdoors, bikes, wind...

I wonder how the best Moto is, but I've had so many crappy ones from them that I took time off from Moto...

FLiPinoy9oNe6

May 5, 2007
My volume on the JB2 sucks. All my co workers got their JB2 on thier BB curves and volume is awesome. Tried thier HS on my Tilt and volume is way low. Thought it was my headset but when syncing mine with their phones the volume is great. Ive always had a volume issue on my tilt when using BT headsets. Other than replacing the phone does anyone have any suggestions or fixes for my Tilts poor volume quality on BT headsets? TIA

RemE

Jan 2, 2007
SoCal
Sorry, no joy on the volume. The TyTN II and tilt have lower BT volume than previous models, noted on day one and ignored by HTC. Many of us have changed earbuds and done other tricks to improve volume but it's more an HTC problem than anything.

twinpeaks

Dec 9, 2006
Not against the grain at all, I'm leaning on returning mine as well;

The fit is "good" but turn my head just right and it comes loose.
The buttons are pissing me off too.
The voice dial "feedback prompt" is too soft compared to others.

I'm more happy with JB1 for car and indoors and Blueant for outdoors, bikes, wind...

I wonder how the best Moto is, but I've had so many crappy ones from them that I took time off from Moto...

When you say "the Blueant" is that z9i or z9 ?

RemE

Jan 2, 2007
SoCal
That was for the Z9, looking at the Z9i it seems that they addressed the comfort issues that we had to work around with jabra rubber ear loops. I'm returning the JB2 for sure and going to try the 9i next.

kcchen

Mar 7, 2005
Not giving up on the new jawbone yet....

But I have to agree the main button is sensitive, the earhooks are tough to get a comfortable fit... but not impossible.

On the positive side, it seems to do well in the wind (convertible @ 70)... still instinctively cup my hands over the headset sometimes. And I don't have a problem with the sound or no-mute button.

awinters

May 5, 2008
just got a jawbone off ebay for 60 bills had to send it to replace though, jawbone sells the black for 99 bills at jawbone site.. also got a blueant z9 today off ebay for 54 bills. looks very cool. im charging and will report...ebay is the way to go, saves lots of dough...

bigboyhf

Mar 15, 2008
One thing I have noticed with the Z9 is that it doesn't do that well in the wind. Also, I have to make sure that I turn the Z9 on before I turn BT on my Tilt. If it is already on, the Tilt will not pair to it... Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but so far that is my experience. It doesn't happen with my Motorola headset.

edbutler

Jun 27, 2007
I went with the Z9 Blueant

I would like some advice specific to these to bluetooth devices. I'm going out to get one this week and would like to purchase the best of the two. Basically I'm looking for good audio quality on both ends. Stable compatibility with the tilt. Good looks, of course. The Jawbone seems to be pretty popular, how does the Blue Ant compare? Pros and cons please.
I tried both and found the Z9 the best. The Jawbone was a tad more comfortable to wear but the Z9 was smaller and once you get used to it, it was fine. The noise canceling is about the same on both , I do like the upgradeable firmware with the Z9 which I have upgraded twice now since I got it. Also the volume button is easer to use on the Z9 it has an up and down button. The Jawbone has only one button and when you cycle through the 5 volume stages it goes back to the lowest setting which can be a pain. I also like the Z9 ability to turn the led light off so when your in a dark area and you don't want the led flashing you can turn it off and still use the headset. Now the price is what was the deciding factor for me, I paid $68.00 that was shipping included the Jawbone was about $130.00. I used the Jawbone for 2 hours and then bought the Z9 and I haven't regretted it. Hope this helps.
Ed...

edbutler

Jun 27, 2007
I went with the Z9 Blueant

I would like some advice specific to these to bluetooth devices. I'm going out to get one this week and would like to purchase the best of the two. Basically I'm looking for good audio quality on both ends. Stable compatibility with the tilt. Good looks, of course. The Jawbone seems to be pretty popular, how does the Blue Ant compare? Pros and cons please.
I tried both and found the Z9 the best. The Jawbone was a tad more comfortable to wear but the Z9 was smaller and once you get used to it, it was fine. The noise canceling is about the same on both , I do like the upgradeable firmware with the Z9 which I have upgraded twice now since I got it. Also the volume button is easer to use on the Z9 it has an up and down button. The Jawbone has only one button and when you cycle through the 5 volume stages it goes back to the lowest setting which can be a pain. I also like the Z9 ability to turn the led light off so when your in a dark area and you don't want the led flashing you can turn it off and still use the headset. Now the price is what was the deciding factor for me, I paid $68.00 that was shipping included the Jawbone was about $130.00. I used the Jawbone for 2 hours and then bought the Z9 and I haven't regretted it. Hope this helps.
Ed...

digitaly

Jul 27, 2006
London/Milan
I personally got the jawbone.... I broke 4 earloops and now the top part after few recharge circle has become loose and I probably have to glue it now... I went on youtube and did some searches and come up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4393Y7q6K8 also the noise shield it's useless because what's the point that the other party can ear you perfect but because of the noise you can't ear the other party? the best noise shield would be a plexiglass helmet around your head.

mario23

Nov 13, 2007
South Fla
Just so you all know, you can turn the led off with the new Jawbone.
I'm still quite happy with it. I wear it all day at work and it is very comfortable. Sound quality is of course excellent. I would like to check out the Z9I just so I can compare the two for myself but otherwise, I'm very happy with the Jawbone 2.